AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-04-03, 19:02   Link #1
Ama no Kagaseo
Your local dark deity.

Send a message via MSN to Ama no Kagaseo Send a message via Yahoo to Ama no Kagaseo
A new trend seems to be forming: Anime based Hollywood live action movies.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. I might be a little excited, but I'm also a little jaded from Godzilla some years ago. [I'm never letting this go! NEVER!] But lately some info has been popping up suggesting there are anime titles that will be transformed into Hollywood live action titles. The first one I heard of was the DBZ live action movie that, last I heard, is presently being filmed in Mexico.

Next came news of Leonardo DiCaprio heading the Akira movie, but this one's information is a little shady it seems. I'm not sure how 'official' this one is. Just recently I heard of the Speed Racer adaptation, and now there seems to be a Hellsing live action movie in the works? Although this too is being speculated upon, and people suggest it's fanmade. BUT, that's beside the point...

Comic book movies are taking in big bucks these days, and now and again a movie based on a video game pops up [however crappy it may be.] Do we see live action adaptations of anime becoming at all popular? Will they even be worth watching?

I have to see DBZ, don't care what anyone else says. Stephen Chow is directing it. >D
Ama no Kagaseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 00:07   Link #2
Happy_Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ama no Kagaseo View Post
(snipped) Do we see live action adaptations of anime becoming at all popular? Will they even be worth watching?>D
Will they be worth watching?

In a word: NO

the things that make anime worthwhile: the artwork, the characterization, the 'japanese-ness' of it (the eastern viewpoint, the plots and stories that derive from Japan's culture and historical experiences) will be drained so the film can be Hollywood-ized.

Think about it: an author writes a truly exceptional novel, some hack director gets his hands on it and turns it into rubbish.

Or a great director in past decades has made a film. Some hack remakes it into garbage.

Hollywood is drowning in money but an artistic desert. So these money people in the studios sit there and say, "hmm! this japanese TV show made money! so why don't we make a movie about that! Yeah! it's a sure thing!"

Happy_Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 01:37   Link #3
brocko

I know that the Blood series is getting a Live Action treatment, can't remember if it was by Hollywood or the HK film industry though. I'm leaning more towards HK, but someone who knows for sure please feel free to correct me.

There was also news of an EVA Live Action too awhile back, don't know whatever happened to it though...

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 01:39   Link #4
Z3120

Quote:
Just recently I heard of the Speed Racer adaptation
It's completely official actually. I saw the commercial only a few weeks ago!

Strange feeling really...
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 04:21   Link #5
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
I know that the Blood series is getting a Live Action treatment, can't remember if it was by Hollywood or the HK film industry though. I'm leaning more towards HK, but someone who knows for sure please feel free to correct me.
It's being filmed in Argentina by a French director, starring a South Korean actress. To answer the actual question, it is being released in the US first, so I'd call it Hollywood.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 07:25   Link #6
gaguri

The lead actress for Blood live action is a top calibre material. And a complete babe :3 . As a somewhat fan of her, I hope the new Blood movie turns out better than its anime counterparts (judging from the opinions I trust, they are apparently little above mediocrity).
gaguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 07:53   Link #7
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaguri View Post
The lead actress for Blood live action is a top calibre material. And a complete babe :3 . As a somewhat fan of her, I hope the new Blood movie turns out better than its anime counterparts (judging from the opinions I trust, they are apparently little above mediocrity).
While I am definitely not a fan of the Blood series, Jyun Ji Hyun (Korean main actress) is gorgeous, so I am going to watch that movie. I've been looking forward to it for a while actually.

Also, Rain/Bi, a Korean singer, is debuting in Speed Racer. It's interesting seeing all this top class Korean talent finally hitting Hollywood, coincidentally through anime adaptations.
Old 2008-04-04, 07:57   Link #8
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Quote:
I The first one I heard of was the DBZ live action movie that, last I heard, is presently being filmed in Mexico.
No... just no.
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 08:17   Link #9
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

will the live DBZ movie span 315314215 minutes like the animation did?

its just not right. in a way.... i think.
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 08:29   Link #10
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I never felt tempted to watch live action versions of anime, neither Japanese nor Hollywood. Let's face it: They're mostly bottom of the barrel.

Then again, I seeing the big entertainment cinema on a downward spiral for quite some time already. Maybe I'm getting too old and see the past through rose-tinted glasses but I think I could make my point by listing a few titles. So more adaptions from anime would fit right in.

My only concern is that people will more often point at movie posters and say "So this is the kind of crap you're watching." But I've learned to live with that.
Old 2008-04-04, 08:34   Link #11
gaguri

Quote:
Also, Rain/Bi, a Korean singer, is debuting in Speed Racer. It's interesting seeing all this top class Korean talent finally hitting Hollywood, coincidentally through anime adaptations.
Bi has proven himself as a fairly competent actor through his great performance in I'm a Cyborg but that's ok (by avant-garde director Park Chan Woo, and as expected from him, another great piece of art), but Hollywood is more interested in his appeal to Asian audience than his acting skills. That much is clear from the trailer. I mean...I'm not even sure if he will have one line of dialogue.
gaguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 14:48   Link #12
Claude

Send a message via AIM to Claude Send a message via Yahoo to Claude
I would only watch a live action of an anime if all of the actors looked almost exactly like the characters that they were portraying. If they looked different it would bug me the whole time.
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 14:57   Link #13
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaguri View Post
Bi has proven himself as a fairly competent actor through his great performance in I'm a Cyborg but that's ok (by avant-garde director Park Chan Woo, and as expected from him, another great piece of art), but Hollywood is more interested in his appeal to Asian audience than his acting skills. That much is clear from the trailer. I mean...I'm not even sure if he will have one line of dialogue.
He probably won't, but it's a welcoming trend anyway. The Chinese and Japanese celebrities have somewhat been involved in Hollywood, but no real Koreans yet.
Old 2008-04-05, 22:03   Link #14
_DaViD_
~(=ω=.)~

lol i would love to see a mecha movie, just imagine that, a Gundam, Eva, AS(Full metal panic!) or Ganmen (Gurren Lagann) with the Transformers effects.
_DaViD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 23:24   Link #15
Renchan

Huh, I'd love to see a hollywood ver. Baccano!

And as for DBZ live action is nightmare...
Renchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-06, 00:05   Link #16
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Its a good thing I cant wait to watch Hellsing Live Action : )
Old 2008-04-07, 00:03   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Chip View Post
Will they be worth watching?

In a word: NO

the things that make anime worthwhile: the artwork, the characterization, the 'japanese-ness' of it (the eastern viewpoint, the plots and stories that derive from Japan's culture and historical experiences) will be drained so the film can be Hollywood-ized.

Think about it: an author writes a truly exceptional novel, some hack director gets his hands on it and turns it into rubbish.

Or a great director in past decades has made a film. Some hack remakes it into garbage.

Hollywood is drowning in money but an artistic desert. So these money people in the studios sit there and say, "hmm! this japanese TV show made money! so why don't we make a movie about that! Yeah! it's a sure thing!"

The Speed Racer adaptation is by the guys that brought us the Matrix -- they're serious anime fans so I suspect the adaptation will be "honorable" to the source material. But will it be a hit? I suspect it will bomb at the box office.

In general, I'm of a like mind with Happy_Chip on this. Hollywood is intellectual dust. The really good people get out. They just see anime and the young people's attraction to it and think they can leech on it without really understanding the appeal.
Old 2008-04-07, 00:04   Link #18
IHaveCrayons

I would rather have Hollywood keep their mitts off of anime in general.
IHaveCrayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 00:58   Link #19
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Adaptations of games and anime almost always suck.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 02:21   Link #20
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The Speed Racer adaptation is by the guys that brought us the Matrix -- they're serious anime fans so I suspect the adaptation will be "honorable" to the source material. But will it be a hit? I suspect it will bomb at the box office.
When I first heard that the Wachowski Bros. were doing Speed Racer, I thought if anyone could pull it off, it would be them.... until I saw the trailer.

http://speedracerthemovie.warnerbros.com/cmp/main.html

Looks totally cheesy, to me.
Mushi is offline   Reply With Quote