AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2009-11-05, 19:13   Link #41
Riful
Of The West

I think the way they pronounce Holo in the trailer is way closer to the japanese pronunciation than if they had used Horo. Sounds good imho and not at all like "hollow"

But even better, they kind of kept Holo's special way of talking. Not so "old" maybe, but at least she doesn't talk completely "normal"/colloquial.

Holo's voice sounds very nice also. Doesn't hurt the ears like so many others xD
Riful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 22:52   Link #42
LKK

I saw episodes 1 & 2 dubbed tonight at the anime convention Nekocon. The room's audio system wasn't too great. But from what I heard, this could turn out to be one of the best dub's I've heard in a long time. I was very impressed.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 00:17   Link #43
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I saw episodes 1 & 2 dubbed tonight at the anime convention Nekocon. The room's audio system wasn't too great. But from what I heard, this could turn out to be one of the best dub's I've heard in a long time. I was very impressed.
Well that's great! Solid dub=more fans and more fans=more purchasing power for the novels and maybe that could make Funi bring out the second season more quickly (not saying that they aren't but I'm saying that it could happen).
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 23:28   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riful View Post
I think the way they pronounce Holo in the trailer is way closer to the japanese pronunciation than if they had used Horo. Sounds good imho and not at all like "hollow"

But even better, they kind of kept Holo's special way of talking. Not so "old" maybe, but at least she doesn't talk completely "normal"/colloquial.

Holo's voice sounds very nice also. Doesn't hurt the ears like so many others xD
Aye... I'm fairly happy that the english dub actors are taking the time to SAY "ホロ” properly - however it ends up spelled.

(For those unfamiliar with Japanese - the "L"/"R" sound uses a bit of the phonetic sound of 3 english letters "L""D" and "R" .... the mouth uses muscles and positioning that combines those sound)
http://www.wikihow.com/Pronounce-%22...ds-in-Japanese
Old 2009-11-08, 04:01   Link #45
FTGT

I would like to watch the trailer as well. But using the link provided by darkchibi07 just leads to an information page about "funimation".

Could it be that the trailer is not meant for people outside of the USA? *desperate*

*EDIT*
I have seen it now.... what a nice surprise. The voice actors really capture the mood of the show! ^^

Last edited by FTGT; 2009-11-12 at 07:56.
FTGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 21:46   Link #46
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
was just wondering if anyone knows when the dibbed box set comes out?.

sorry but dont worry about this i already found out. its this really iuseful thing called google.
Old 2009-11-25, 21:57   Link #47
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
First 2 episodes are out!

http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=video&v=3826

Lawrence sounds like his age!
Old 2009-11-25, 22:44   Link #48
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post

http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=video&v=3826

... ... O.O ... ... the dub actually sounds really good. And I'm not a dub fan. The lines seem naturally spoken instead of "read in a studio".

Okay.... thumbs up to Funimation on this one - I was going to buy it anyway but this just cinches the deal.
Old 2009-11-25, 22:51   Link #49
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
... ... O.O ... ... the dub actually sounds really good. And I'm not a dub fan. The lines seem naturally spoken instead of "read in a studio".

Okay.... thumbs up to Funimation on this one - I was going to buy it anyway but this just cinches the deal.
See? I told you guys that this was a good dub. If those 2 eps are typical for the dub work on the series, those of us who listen to the dub track are going to have a very good show on our hands.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2009-11-25, 23:49   Link #50
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
I have no doubt about the dub. I don't know if anyone in Animesuki knows, but if there's a dub that's available, I'll ALWAYS check that out first (it's takes an incredibly bad dub to make me switch to Japanese with subtitles).
Old 2009-11-26, 00:32   Link #51
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

The dub has exceeded my expectations (which is saying something since I usually am not so picky with dubs to begin with). The lines seem very real/natural. Just makes this more of a must buy for me.

Last edited by GuidoHunter_Toki; 2009-11-27 at 13:34.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 13:58   Link #52
Icehawk

The dub does sound pretty well done. After watching the first two eps, I still prefer the original, but I have to give them credit for doing as good a job as they have. This was one that really could have gone bad.

English Lawrence, in comparison to his Japanese version comes across as a bit older and a somewhat more rough and serious person, his Japanese voice makes him sound his age, but also still conveys a sense of naive innocence in the way he speaks. The english version, I dont really get that same feeling from him, he seems like an almost fully serious adult merchant.

For Holo, in the first episode atleast, the english VA just doesn't seem to convey that mature yet playfull flirty aspect of Holo's character nearly as well as the Japanese and instead puts most effort into the serious "wise wolf" part of the character in the way she delivers her lines.

Thankfully, in the second episode, both english VA's seemed to be filling into their rolls a little better were able to bring out more of the of the characters as they should be. I was also decently impressed with the few side characters as well, they all atleast sounded natural enough and the only moment that made me cringe a little was the "Its Chloe Chloe Chloe!!" part of ep 1.
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-27, 13:19   Link #53
79wolf

The first 5 episodes are on my cable providers on demand list. I think this is one of the better dubbed series I have seen in a long time. The end of episode 5 in the cart was just right IMO... different than the original, but still right. I also like that I can see the facial expressions now when things are said rather than reading quickly and hoping to see everything at once. (I know, read faster or learn Japanese, lol). I am glad to see companies taking this more seriously, however small the steps may be they are taking. Hopefully signs of things to come.

Love this series, I think they did a great job, December 22nd I will buy it so I can finally get my wife to watch anime with me, lol.
79wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-27, 13:30   Link #54
79wolf

I wanted to clarify my previous post about the end of episode 5, the VA was just right IMO, the dialogue/story change is a different story. Not going to spoil anything though.
79wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-12, 04:19   Link #55
Jay911

Send a message via ICQ to Jay911 Send a message via AIM to Jay911 Send a message via MSN to Jay911 Send a message via Yahoo to Jay911
I watched the first two episodes dubbed on Funimation's site. Not bad, though I would have expected a slightly "younger" sounding voice for Holo (man, is that hard to get used to). I, too, felt the lines were more "casually" delivered and not like they were reading from a script in a recording booth - Lawrence's interaction with the guard in the first few minutes of ep 1 being a good example of that. (Chloe's "for God's sake!" at one point was another.)

The one thing that grates on me, and I don't know if it's a case of getting used to 'Holo' or not, is the pronunciation used, particularly the long 'o' sound of the first vowel.. it sounds like they are saying "Hoe-low" all the time. I always considered the first 'o' to be a shorter, softer vowel, as in "Huh-low" if you will. We'll see once I get the DVDs if it grows on me or not.

All in all I do like the dub, especially since I think I can convince a bunch of friends and family to get into this show now that it's available in English.
Jay911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-12, 11:41   Link #56
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I've always thought of it as "Hoe-Low". Honestly "Huh-Low" sounds like some mispronunciation of "Hello".
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-12, 12:01   Link #57
LKK

^^ Yeah, I always heard two long vowel sounds for the "o" as well. I suspect listening as well as speaking is affected by regional dialects, and that's why we hear her name differently.

Old 2009-12-12, 23:14   Link #58
Riful
Of The West

For sure in japanese both "o"s in her name are the same, same length (actually short, but seems that it sounds long for most english speakers ^^;; ), same sound. But maybe one that doesn't exist in english (anymore). I believe the pronunciation in the dub is really close, maybe the closest it could be, to the japanese.
Riful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 05:04   Link #59
Rhah

Just got my copy of season 1 today and watched it all in one sitting. WELL worth the $35 pre-order purchase. Heck, after watching the episodes, I'd be willing to spend double what I paid on them. I was VERY impressed with the dubbing as compared to other dubbed series I've seen before (even though I'm not a fan of many subs in comparison). The story and setting are a welcome change rather than your usual fantasy or sci-fi anime. I will definitely be promoting this to all my friends. Anyone have any good links for merchandise or other such things?

As for the 'name debate':
To the best of my understanding (though it was quite late) the Spice and Wolf wiki says that the name has always been Holo. Regardless, I'm confident in assuming everyone here knows to whom we're referring to when we say either name. lol.
Personally, She'll always be Holo to me, seeing as the 2 free dubbed episodes I first saw introduced her as Holo. =P
Rhah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 21:47   Link #60
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Holo just doesn't sound right to me... ='(

Horo just rolls off your tongue...Holo takes more effort and sounds more jarring...

I want my HoRo back!!!
Intranetusa is offline   Reply With Quote