AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-08, 03:32   Link #461
Selofain
#1 Minion

Send a message via AIM to Selofain Send a message via MSN to Selofain Send a message via Yahoo to Selofain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Spoiler for Fanfic spoilers:

Anyway, there's not always a rhyme or reason for striking gold. Sometimes it just happens.
I agree that those criteria helps get a story noticed. Shipping is nearly the one surefire way to get your fic noticed in any fandom. As an example, I'd like to offer one of my favorite Haruhi fics, Ten Hundred Thousand Suns Rising to Hail You, which I only read because it got rec here (back on page 3 of this thread). It didn't get anywhere near the 10 reviews per chapter criteria I usually employ before reading (not even 5 per chapter), but it's one of the best fanfics of any fandom I've ever read. Considering the speculative nature of the fic, part of it may be due the huge amounts of screentime of later novel characters, including theories on the nature of one spoilery entity. I think a lot of its obscurity, though, comes from the fact that it pretty much lacks all of the criteria listed above. It's character labels are Haruhi and Tsuruya, kind of an unusual combination, and it updated to its completion pretty quickly, so it loses recurring reviews (AND during the fandom's downtime too- late 2008 to early 2009, right before the big hoopla of new episodes). It's probably a hit-or-miss kind of fic, but I love that it's kind of mind-screwy.

...yeah, I just wanted to re-rec that fic. I love it to pieces, and I haven't reviewed only because I didn't want to disturb its nice even number of 42 reviews. I'm a terrible person.

Ah, and-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
FLCL crossover! Lol, I guess Kyon's unknown name kinda makes that kind of situation an easy set-up, huh? I totally want Haruko and Haruhi to clash now. Fireworks wouldn't even begin to describe it.

Are you posting this on FF.net as well?
Old 2009-11-08, 03:41   Link #462
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Yes, it's on Fanfiction.net as well, Selo. I update it there simultaneous to my updating it here, but you'll always be able to find it here first because of ff.net's update lag time. I check reviews in this thread, my PM box and fanfiction.net with equal regularity, though, so wherever you feel like commenting works.
Old 2009-11-08, 07:29   Link #463
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
1. It's all Haruhi. This fandom prefers it that way, I think (as opposed to crossovers).
ORLY? My crossover hapens to get a few good comments.

A few's all there is, though.
Old 2009-11-08, 07:49   Link #464
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4evr View Post
ORLY? My crossover hapens to get a few good comments.

A few's all there is, though.
Well, my comment is based on my own personal experience in writing a crossover fanfic involving Haruhi.

Any links to your crossover? If I'm familiar with both (all) animes, I'd be willing to give it a read.
Old 2009-11-08, 07:55   Link #465
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
I've put it somewhere in the thread before, but here it is for your convenience.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5296092/
Old 2009-11-08, 08:57   Link #466
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4evr View Post
I've put it somewhere in the thread before, but here it is for your convenience.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5296092/
Nice work. A few general observations...

Spoiler for Joe4evr's fanfic:
Old 2009-11-08, 09:28   Link #467
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Quote:
Nice work. A few general observations...

Spoiler for Joe4evr's fanfic:
Spoiler for reply:
Old 2009-11-08, 10:59   Link #468
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...46#post2755246

Haru, Chapter 3. I finally put in some of those fashion descriptions I mentioned, and this chapter's a bit longer than the previous two, but I'm still trying to keep it all relatively compact. The general idea is to keep the story moving in digestible bits that each have a proper arc and a value all their own, which is why each episode ends on kind of "Oh hey, we learned something, but wait, what's that shiny new thing?" note.
Ricky, just finished this. Nice work. A few additional observations...

Spoiler for Chapter 3 reviewed by R3:
Old 2009-11-08, 13:29   Link #469
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
I'm liking how several people here are now giving feedback on a regular basis. I think it's a good thing for this thread.
Old 2009-11-08, 13:59   Link #470
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

@Johnbob: Definite agreement. It's important to cultivate feedback/criticism from as many diverse audiences as possible, and it's good to see this forum's crowd taking an active interest in its members' works.
Old 2009-11-08, 20:47   Link #471
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post
Thanks, and I think your point about the title is a good one. For some reason, when I started this, I thought about the movie Meet the Parents and I was like "that'll work." It was a similar premise, anyway.
Your fic is way better than that Ben Stiller movie. That was just foolishness but it's ironic how things like that can give us such great ideas.

Quote:
@Johnbob: Definite agreement. It's important to cultivate feedback/criticism from as many diverse audiences as possible, and it's good to see this forum's crowd taking an active interest in its members' works.
Also agreed. Even if critique can hurt, it's important to understand that most other authors want to try and help you. It's important for other authors to be friends so it's easier for us to give each other ideas AND feedback on our stories. And make great friends while it happens.

I guess with that cue, I wanted to ask a question with my story. You don't have to read it, but I'm in a weird situation with the plot. I had this idea that turned out to be poorly executed...and soon after posting the chapter, I figured out a much better, faster, and darker way to put the story into motion.

So let's say that you are in a rut where you have made a really questionable decision that leaves your readers confused. Is it better to restart from scratch OR should you go with the idea thinking it will surprise the readers with something new.
Old 2009-11-08, 20:53   Link #472
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post

So let's say that you are in a rut where you have made a really questionable decision that leaves your readers confused. Is it better to restart from scratch OR should you go with the idea thinking it will surprise the readers with something new.
How much have you wrote so far? Like... chapter-wise, and word-count wise?

I'm inclined to think that once you're a few chapters in, you're best off either rolling with your mistakes and making the best of them... or smoothing them out with the best retcon that you can think of (but you keep going forward from where you are; just with the retcon applied).

However, if it's just a chapter's worth of writing, or two short chapters... it might be worth it to go back to the drawing board.

Hard to say, though. I actually feel the same way with a couple of my own fanfics.

Edit: Also, of course, I should ask if this is part of "the plan" for your fanfic, or is it more of a quick decision you haven't plotted out to the very end? My longest fanfic had what many would consider a crack-ship in it, involving two prominent anime characters. When that came to the fore, it received... well, some reader push-back as you can imagine.

However, I had that crack-ship romance plotted out to the very end, and by the end, a couple of the readers who had initially found it odd at least admitted that I managed to make it interesting and believable.

So, if you had something plotted out to the very end - run with it, no matter what. It may surprise some folks, yes.
Old 2009-11-08, 21:28   Link #473
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Quote:
I guess with that cue, I wanted to ask a question with my story. You don't have to read it, but I'm in a weird situation with the plot. I had this idea that turned out to be poorly executed...and soon after posting the chapter, I figured out a much better, faster, and darker way to put the story into motion.

I've been in your shoes with my Evangelion fic. I say it's not too late to rewrite a chapter if you feel it needs it. I did the same with the last chapter of that fic. Unfortunately, I lost the passion to finish the fic shortly after that and never touched it since. Hopefully, that doesn't happen to you. If you want to rewrite your earlier chapter, I'd say it's fine.
Old 2009-11-08, 22:12   Link #474
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Quote:
How much have you wrote so far? Like... chapter-wise, and word-count wise?

I'm inclined to think that once you're a few chapters in, you're best off either rolling with your mistakes and making the best of them... or smoothing them out with the best retcon that you can think of (but you keep going forward from where you are; just with the retcon applied).

However, if it's just a chapter's worth of writing, or two short chapters... it might be worth it to go back to the drawing board.

Hard to say, though. I actually feel the same way with a couple of my own fanfics.

Edit: Also, of course, I should ask if this is part of "the plan" for your fanfic, or is it more of a quick decision you haven't plotted out to the very end? My longest fanfic had what many would consider a crack-ship in it, involving two prominent anime characters. When that came to the fore, it received... well, some reader push-back as you can imagine.

However, I had that crack-ship romance plotted out to the very end, and by the end, a couple of the readers who had initially found it odd at least admitted that I managed to make it interesting and believable.

So, if you had something plotted out to the very end - run with it, no matter what. It may surprise some folks, yes.
10 Chapters, about 40k words so far. And the situation is all apart of this huge plan moving to a climax. Time I wrote the last chapter? 2 months ago.

I think I can make it work, but it's just tricky because it uses Asakura. And I was thinking I could use it for a big plan, but then I realized I can't really use her more than once. So her appearance is kind of iffy.

And no, I can't say what the climax is, that'd ruin the story.
Old 2009-11-08, 23:01   Link #475
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
10 Chapters, about 40k words so far. And the situation is all apart of this huge plan moving to a climax. Time I wrote the last chapter? 2 months ago.

I think I can make it work, but it's just tricky because it uses Asakura. And I was thinking I could use it for a big plan, but then I realized I can't really use her more than once. So her appearance is kind of iffy.

And no, I can't say what the climax is, that'd ruin the story.
All I can say to that is try to find a substitute for Asakura.

...Kimidori going villainous maybe? I don't necessarily like the idea, but if it could fill a plot-hole... Just an idea.
Old 2009-11-16, 01:33   Link #476
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...17#post2770017

Haru, Episode 5. I think I've figured out now how to have Kyon convey meaningful, moving things without losing the Kyon voice. Have him try very hard to remain skeptical about it, even as he's feeling it. Warning: major squee at the end.
Old 2009-11-16, 02:20   Link #477
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Well now, Ricky, you've certainly crafted an excellent chapter here. Spoilerish thoughts are in spoilers:
Spoiler for thoughts:
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-11-16, 02:27   Link #478
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Well now, Ricky, you've certainly crafted an excellent chapter here. Spoilerish thoughts are in spoilers:
Spoiler for thoughts:
Spoiler for Kohesive Kogetsu Kontingency:
Old 2009-11-16, 10:37   Link #479
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
KKK?! That's awful...

Spoiler for response:
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-11-16, 22:19   Link #480
Triple_R
*Author

Just read Chapters 4 and 5.

Excellent work in many spots, and pretty good overall. A few general observations...

Spoiler for Three Rs are safter than Three Ks review. ;):

Anyway, I look forward to more! Nice work, Ricky.

Tags
fanfiction