AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-07-16, 10:47   Link #81
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Have any specific timeframes in mind?
Anything that has the Medicine Seller in it. So the beginning or the end.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-16, 12:08   Link #82
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Here are a few of the guy who cracked me up a bit:

Then the medicine seller who knows how to work it for the camera in no particular order:

Spoiler for saving space:
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-16, 12:23   Link #83
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

SQUEE!!!!! Thanks monir-san!! ~gives cookies~ The Medicine Seller definitely knows how to work the camera
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-16, 15:36   Link #84
Snoop'

You forgot the awesome card circle !

Yeah, Tokuji is a priceless character, I love his way of speaking.
BTW, there's an abstract of the second episode on the official site. Oh I can feel that it will be gross !
Spoiler for ep.2:
Snoop' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-16, 17:07   Link #85
Monkey D. Luffy

Looks great, can't wait for somone to sub this one.
Monkey D. Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-16, 19:08   Link #86
runpsicat
Engrishator
*Fansubber

The first ep will be aired again (in HDTV) on Kansai TV late tonight (or early morning tomorrow) JST, and it shouldn't suffer from missed recordings this time, so here's for hoping that nicer raws come out when the Kansai-based cappers get a fighting chance.

Edit - Also, I came across a 2ch poster claiming that the Bakeneko arc will be a completely different story despite having the same title as the Ayakashi arc. This would be cool if true, but has anyone come across that kind of information while perusing more reputable sources?

Last edited by runpsicat; 2007-07-16 at 21:02.
runpsicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-16, 22:52   Link #87
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

If it had a newer arc, or maybe a continuation ... or ANYTHING NEW I WILL PRAISE THIS SERIES EVEN MORE. :3
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 00:32   Link #88
SassyRobot

Watched the raw of episode 1. First off I do not understand Japanese, nor have I seen Bake Neko. I downloaded it anyways because the art style really caught my eye and the show overall seemed interesting!

Anyways, I definitely liked what I saw, though I do agree about the somewhat "pretentious-feeling" start. Don't know if that's because it's the first episode, so it is trying to set the mood of the show, or because "artsy" shows just can't help giving off a pretentious vibe. Coming into this blind, I wasn't really sure what to expect, either. The end was very cool though If Black Sheep do pick it up, I will be following it for sure.

Really like the visual style and effects of the show, like the raindrops streaking down the screen. Good OP, too.
SassyRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 00:51   Link #89
runpsicat
Engrishator
*Fansubber

Black-Sheep is on board. Just getting held up a bit due to the silly soccer match-related delays that foiled some cappers when episode 1 first aired. The second airing is tonight, and it's known that reputable cappers record from Kansai TV, so we thought we'll wait it out just in case.

Last edited by runpsicat; 2007-07-17 at 01:01.
runpsicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 15:01   Link #90
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop' View Post
You forgot the awesome card circle !

That is indeed a good one. I took a screenshot of that one as well, but considering Manju is looking for screenshots to make icon, I though I would only post the ones that have good facial of the cool dude.

Quote:
Spoiler:
I was anticipating some discussion on the controversial subject of the "choices" (in some places in the world) after when the significance about the room was made apparent in the episode, but so far it seems the fans of the show are very open minded. Even though the episode itself wasn't scary at all, the room becomes creepy once the understanding dawns with a bit of after-thought.
Old 2007-07-17, 20:38   Link #91
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
So we can expect the episode 2 to be filled with uberly cutesy thingy or an uberly exciting episode that is filled with those adrenaline pumping action scenes? Looking forward to it.

As for the episode, since the animated movement won't be made an issue to the series with 1D drawing to boot, I suppose the show can concentrate on the story telling more than any typical shows.
Episode 3 onwards.

And that's not 1D drawing. Shadows are added to 2D drawings to make them look a little 3D; without them they "look 2D". You can't really have 1D animation, I think.

Don't forget that in place of the lack of shadows, there are a LOT of costume details required for this show that makes it hard to draw in that sense (that is why the director and animation director are less bothered concentrating on the faces). At least here they're details that really add to the charm IMO (as compared to insanely detailed highlights and what not...)

I pity the colour designer for this show

EDIT: Call it a gut feeling or something, but I think we shouldn't expect too much from episode 2, at least if the staff is anything to go by... I'm looking more forward to episodes 3-5 - at least just to see Furuhashi's storyboard, WITH Chiaki Konaka's scripting!

EDIT2: Good god, the stuff I'm reading about the new Bakeneko arc.

Oi oi oi, don't let this be an Otogizoushi... but I am so dying to see what it'll be like anyway. But then he can't say his trademark line!

Mina-mina sama no makoto to kotowari - o-kiki negaitaku sourou!!11one

Last edited by wao; 2007-07-18 at 09:43.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 12:46   Link #92
Snoop'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Mina-mina sama no makoto to kotowari - o-kiki negaitaku sourou!!11one
It's "o-kikase negaitaku sourou".
Speaking of, I wonder if the medicine seller will have to say his famous lines in each arc :
- I use this sword to kill. The mononoke, that is.
- The kotowari is blablablah, the makoto is blablablah.
- Would you please tell me about your makoto and kotowari.
And of course the complicated "transform !" scene...
Old 2007-07-18, 14:13   Link #93
Aniki Meiski

It's 皆々様の真《まこと》と理《ことわり》、お聞かせ願いたく候《そうろう》.
真《まこと》truth
理《ことわり》reason
候《そうろう》Sorobun style sentence ending.
Aniki Meiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 16:36   Link #94
Snoop'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki Meiski View Post
候《そうろう》Sorobun style sentence ending.
Oh.
I thought it was 早漏《そうろう》.

...all right, I go kill myself.

And sorry to keep posting things for the few people who understand Japanese, but I found a nice blog (with many trackbacks), so here's the link for the Mononoke fanatics :
http://blog.livedoor.jp/loveless_zer.../50984838.html
Old 2007-07-18, 17:21   Link #95
Aniki Meiski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop' View Post
Oh.
I thought it was 早漏《そうろう》.

...all right, I go kill myself.

And sorry to keep posting things for the few people who understand Japanese, but I found a nice blog (with many trackbacks), so here's the link for the Mononoke fanatics :
http://blog.livedoor.jp/loveless_zer.../50984838.html
お聞かせ願いたく候。
Okikase nagaitaku sourou.

You are right. It might be,
お聞かせ願いたく、早漏を。
Okikase nagaitaku, sourou wo.
Aniki Meiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 23:46   Link #96
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
And that's not 1D drawing. Shadows are added to 2D drawings to make them look a little 3D; without them they "look 2D". You can't really have 1D animation, I think.
In this case I believe the show is definitely 1D animation-wise where the characters are concerned. Sure there are frames where shadows are added to make it appear 2D (i.e. the umbrellas, the medicine seller in few frames), and some bonus 3D effect like that l33t charm-circle in that screenshot posted by Snoop -- but in overall the series is 1D when we take animated movements into account. Okay, before you call me crazy, I'll try to explain myself why I think so. As we know, most series does animate characters separately and then add the background later on. In this show the character are drawn within the background. How do we know? By observing the movements of the characters. (I also wonder how many folks can actually appreciate this special little facts. Trying to animate characters when they are drawn in the background is an incredible feat itself. Not only the animators are forced to draw and redraw the characters over and over, but they are also redrawing the background over and over along with those characters. Watch Beyond the Cloud to give a feast to the senses those of you who have yet to see.)

Either way, I agree that technically speaking, there can't be any 1D animated movements. Even South Park can be nitpicked to pass a judgment to having 2D movements here and there. And yeah, we can all pity the guy/gal who gets to color these images.
Old 2007-07-19, 02:07   Link #97
wao
OK.

I don't know if I'm the one having a complete misunderstanding or whether you don't understand what 1-D really means, but I was pretty sure that a one-dimensional drawing would be a line. And I mean a LINE. Like a vector line. Not flat shapes as in a 2-D drawing.

Technically I suppose whatever is animated is 2-D since it's on a flat screen and isn't an object you can pick up, but the whole point is that 2-D is supposed to be "flat", like a square (with north-south and east-west dimensions), and 3-D has an extra dimension depth, like a cube (up-down dimension?). You can figure out this depth through a. shadows, and b. perspective/moving the camera around (and maybe a c. that I haven't even thought of).
In animation, character drawings are usually given depth by adding shades so that you know the chin hangs over the neck and casts a shadow on it, this arm is forward of the other, the leg has a cylindrical shape, etc. It is a stylistic choice (or perhaps it goes deeper than that) to omit drawing shadows and leave it "flat". There's a whole lot you can find out about artists starting to make their art more "flat" when it comes to art.

And are you so sure about the characters being drawn within the background? Just because it moves doesn't mean they're animated the same way. You don't have to re-draw the background each time the character moves if you have it on another layer, and even if you hand-draw moving backgrounds (not seen very often nowadays...) you'd put the character on another layer unless the character is being eaten up by the background or something.
Old 2007-07-19, 03:09   Link #98
Snoop'

Actually, I'm pretty sure that 100% of the background is a 3-D model, like in Gankutsuou. You don't notice it until the camera moves because there are no shadows (or even cel-shading). For example, if you look carefully at the vase (?) on which the amniotic fluid ("yousui") falls at the end of the episode, the edges are polygonic.

And I totally agree with wao : a show in 1-D would consist in a dot (or a segment) moving along a single line !
All anime are a 2-D representation of a 3-D situation ; shadows merely help giving the illusion of depth.
Old 2007-07-19, 03:30   Link #99
Zappster

LOL. I wonder what the hell monir is on and what the hell he means. Whatever it is, I want what he's on.

I guess I'm one of the folks that can't "appreciate this special little facts" being that you sound as if you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Still, cookies for making me laugh.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 03:52   Link #100
Snoop'

Zappster, you've got some nerve to openly laugh at a mod...

Tags
noitamina, supernatural