AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

View Poll Results: Favorite Couple Mai Hime / Otome
Reito X Mai 25 16.23%
Tate/Sergay X Mai 44 28.57%
Akira X Takumi 55 35.71%
Tate/Sergay X Natsuki 2 1.30%
Akane X Kazuya 9 5.84%
Reito/Rad X Shizuru 5 3.25%
Ishigami X Yukariko 0 0%
Nagi X Mashiro 7 4.55%
Takeda X Natsuki 7 4.55%
Reito/Rad X Midori 0 0%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-10, 02:46   Link #81
Darthtabby

Voted for Tate/Sergay X Mai. By which I really mean Mai and Tate. Like many other, I don't consider Sergay and Tate to be the same person.

As for why I like them, I think it's partly that I find them a lot more convincing than a lot of anime couples. A lot of people seem to think Mai has no reason to show interest in Tate, but I think their relationship was set up well over the course of the series and was quite convincing. They just seem a lot more real than a lot of other anime couples somehow.

About the only real problem I have with the Mai and Tate pairing is that for all the good qualities I think Tate has as a character, he still ends up coming across as a bit generic. But I still think he's better written than a lot of anime guys and makes an excellent match for Mai (who is pretty much my all time favorite anime girl) so...
Old 2010-02-11, 20:32   Link #82
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Voted for Akira X Takumi since I liked them somewhat as pairing, and actually were in most of the series, while I somewhat liked Akane X Kazuya they got no development for obvious reasons which made it harder to like their pairing.
MAL
Old 2010-02-11, 20:34   Link #83
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Voted for Akira X Takumi since I liked them somewhat as pairing, and actually were in most of the series, while I somewhat liked Akane X Kazuya they got no development for obvious reasons which made it harder to like their pairing.
They did in Otome but it would be better that they do it in the HiME series. Akane X Kazuya is my favorite anyway.
Old 2010-02-12, 10:15   Link #84
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

I voted for Reito x Mai, because their dynamic was more mature in my view. Of course Reito is more experienced / or has higher self esteem, but the way he arranged the date and almost got her to kiss him was more believeable in my eyes. Tate would have never stood a chance in real life.
Old 2010-02-12, 13:28   Link #85
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
I voted for Reito x Mai, because their dynamic was more mature in my view. Of course Reito is more experienced / or has higher self esteem, but the way he arranged the date and almost got her to kiss him was more believeable in my eyes. Tate would have never stood a chance in real life.
Yea, I agree I had liked that pairing early in the series; though at end I am not sure how I felt about it.
MAL
Old 2010-02-14, 19:12   Link #86
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
Reito is a bit too suave for my tastes. I think he had a lot of charm, but I'm not actually sure he would have made a good match for Mai. I guess I feel like Mai was a bit infatuated with Reito as where it seems to me that she and Tate have quite a bit in common.

As for Tate not standing a chance... hard to say how things would have gone had they not played out the way they were written. I can actually see the two having become friends right off the bat had it not been for Tate's stupid little pervert moment in the first episode. On the other hand, had it not been for the early rockiness of their relationship, they might never have become anything more than that. So yeah, I guess you could say Tate got where he did because the plot was on his side. :lol: That being said, while the plot may have been deliberately constructed to set up that one scene between him and Mai in episode five, I don't think it's actually unrealistic for Mai to have started to see him as special because he was "someone she could talk to about her problems." That was fairly in character for her in my opinion.

And yeah, Mai and Tate were kind of immature early on, but that's part of what made watching the two of them fun, and I don't think it was particularly out of place given their age. Besides, I kind of liked how that part of Mai provided a counterbalance to the mature big sister side of her character.

I'll also admit I am perhaps a bit of a romantic. I like to think that people who had gone through the kind of experiences that Mai and Tate ended up going through would have a strong bond because of them. Whether that actually holds true in real life, I can't really say with much certainty though.

Hope you don't mind me going on like this, I sometimes really enjoy discussing characterisation for this series in depth.
Old 2010-02-27, 16:16   Link #87
miomio

Reito X Mai for me
Old 2010-03-01, 19:20   Link #88
amythest*moon
has too much imagination

Send a message via AIM to amythest*moon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Reito is a bit too suave for my tastes. I think he had a lot of charm, but I'm not actually sure he would have made a good match for Mai. I guess I feel like Mai was a bit infatuated with Reito as where it seems to me that she and Tate have quite a bit in common.

As for Tate not standing a chance... hard to say how things would have gone had they not played out the way they were written. I can actually see the two having become friends right off the bat had it not been for Tate's stupid little pervert moment in the first episode. On the other hand, had it not been for the early rockiness of their relationship, they might never have become anything more than that. So yeah, I guess you could say Tate got where he did because the plot was on his side. :lol: That being said, while the plot may have been deliberately constructed to set up that one scene between him and Mai in episode five, I don't think it's actually unrealistic for Mai to have started to see him as special because he was "someone she could talk to about her problems." That was fairly in character for her in my opinion.

And yeah, Mai and Tate were kind of immature early on, but that's part of what made watching the two of them fun, and I don't think it was particularly out of place given their age. Besides, I kind of liked how that part of Mai provided a counterbalance to the mature big sister side of her character.

I'll also admit I am perhaps a bit of a romantic. I like to think that people who had gone through the kind of experiences that Mai and Tate ended up going through would have a strong bond because of them. Whether that actually holds true in real life, I can't really say with much certainty though.

Hope you don't mind me going on like this, I sometimes really enjoy discussing characterisation for this series in depth.
I agree. Reito's approach may have been more straightforeward and romantic, but I think the fact that his intentions were relatively clear from the beginning made it harder for him to make a connection with Mai. She confided in him sooner than Tate, of course, but he allowed her to place her burdens on him so easily, it was almost suspiciously good natured. Tate extended kindness to Mai in episode 5, but neither of them expected it, and neither of them had anything to gain by the exchange. Tate got into Mai's good graces almost effortlessly, and it was the last thing she expected. By the time she realized how important it was to put up emotional barriers against him, it was too late. It seems to me that Mai was more wary of growing too close to Reito from the beginning, because she was so unwilling to change her priorities in life.

Even in real life, romance doesn't always work out when handled Reito's way. I've found that relationships that start slowly (in some cases, unexpectedly or accidentally) are often a bit more stable than those that start with a straightforward date with someone you don't know very well. That's all just my opinion of course. Anime tends to portray those kinds of relationships very positively; you don't see many popular couples in anime who started out in a conventional way.
Old 2010-03-02, 05:42   Link #89
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Quote:
Originally Posted by amythest*moon View Post
Anime tends to portray those kinds of relationships very positively; you don't see many popular couples in anime who started out in a conventional way.

You are right, that's why me too tend to place Tate waaay above Reito, in terms of approaching Mai.
Of course, Reito looks more confident and he's probably the guy who always gets the girl, but I'm not sure that in real life, with someone like Mai who is depicted as quite practical and levelheaded, he would have succeeded. Girls like her usually tend to drop rather quickly guys who are not only supportive, but tend to control in every aspect the life of their love interest under the pretense of a misplaced "protection".
Old 2010-03-02, 06:36   Link #90
Minagi Mikoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis_Lux View Post
You are right, that's why me too tend to place Girls like her usually tend to drop rather quickly guys who are not only supportive, but tend to control in every aspect the life of their love interest under the pretense of a misplaced "protection".
Well, you probably don't know Mai well; she's not that type of carefree person that play with somebody's feelings or simply drop them!
Old 2010-03-02, 08:18   Link #91
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Actually I don't think that at all. All the contrary. She would drop him when she'd realize she's the one whose feelings have been hurt. All things considered, we can't say that Reito's attraction towards her was completely... sincere.
Old 2010-03-02, 23:18   Link #92
solarknight123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis_Lux View Post
Actually I don't think that at all. All the contrary. She would drop him when she'd realize she's the one whose feelings have been hurt. All things considered, we can't say that Reito's attraction towards her was completely... sincere.
Not to mention you have to take into consideration the Obsidian Lord possessing him as well. In one of the specials, it talks about how Reito has always been somewhat aware of the OL within him. He goes on to say how he sought out Mai believing that she would help him quell the OL within in him, yet as time passed on the OL began to take interest in Mai as well.
Old 2010-03-03, 06:09   Link #93
Highman

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarknight123 View Post
Not to mention you have to take into consideration the Obsidian Lord possessing him as well. In one of the specials, it talks about how Reito has always been somewhat aware of the OL within him. He goes on to say how he sought out Mai believing that she would help him quell the OL within in him, yet as time passed on the OL began to take interest in Mai as well.
Another reason that I believe is that the OL is just some kind minor threat, it seems that I didn't even thought Reito would control OL until he just gave up, really understand that OL is just an no bark and bite entity and it has been like this for every 300 years(for shame). This really makes me believe that the Japanese government played a role or an higher power is causing all of this to happened.

Even in plot wise, they need to fill it all the gaps to make the story wider, they should have done it an long time ago.
Old 2010-03-03, 10:27   Link #94
Minagi Mikoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highman View Post
Another reason that I believe is that the OL is just some kind minor threat, it seems that I didn't even thought Reito would control OL until he just gave up, really understand that OL is just an no bark and bite entity and it has been like this for every 300 years(for shame). This really makes me believe that the Japanese government played a role or an higher power is causing all of this to happened.

Even in plot wise, they need to fill it all the gaps to make the story wider, they should have done it an long time ago.
Based on Midori's research all of this HiME stuff was a ceremony for gods which was held every 300 years and Obisidan Lord was the director of it.
Old 2010-03-03, 11:32   Link #95
Highman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minagi Mikoto View Post
Based on Midori's research all of this HiME stuff was a ceremony for gods which was held every 300 years and Obisidan Lord was the director of it.
Of course, but history can create false lies and uncertainty from years to centuries. To my opinion it seems someone or something is doing themselves to gain power and do everything they create their own legacy and generation. This is not from the OL's actually it's just an entity that has no bark, no bite trying to become an wargod. If the HiME worked than this would have happened and it Nagi was just an deity wanting looking for something to do creating his legacy as well. But still the government played an role on insecuring the civilians and no doing a darn thing about. At the end, I believe that those 300 years were just lies and now it's done and gone. I'm sure the story is just the beginning for the HiME, their greatest challenges is about to come.
Old 2010-03-03, 14:46   Link #96
Minagi Mikoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highman View Post
Of course, but history can create false lies and uncertainty from years to centuries. To my opinion it seems someone or something is doing themselves to gain power and do everything they create their own legacy and generation. This is not from the OL's actually it's just an entity that has no bark, no bite trying to become an wargod. If the HiME worked than this would have happened and it Nagi was just an deity wanting looking for something to do creating his legacy as well. But still the government played an role on insecuring the civilians and no doing a darn thing about. At the end, I believe that those 300 years were just lies and now it's done and gone. I'm sure the story is just the beginning for the HiME, their greatest challenges is about to come.
Well, yes it wasn't over for us! There were still some of Sears trying to copy HiME powers which finally leaded to creation of Otomes. But if there's another supernatural thing to happen or not, I still don't know about it!
Old 2010-03-03, 15:09   Link #97
Highman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minagi Mikoto View Post
Well, yes it wasn't over for us! There were still some of Sears trying to copy HiME powers which finally leaded to creation of Otomes. But if there's another supernatural thing to happen or not, I still don't know about it!
Well I'm just gonna go and say it, that the HiME and Otome connection fiasco is just all non-canon material and fanservice. If did took it seriously then it explain all the situations of how the world changed even more then I would admit it is an connection HiME. But it seems that Sunrise made a bad choice than make a saga of the HiME. Otome was just childish show and wasn't top tier enough in HiME. That's why everyone don't care about Otome more nevertheless it sold alot in merchandise. But Sunrise wanted HiME more than Otome and fans demanded HiME back again and make a real ending instead of Otome connection.

Also, I have a feeling that other countries will try to topple SEARRS down and take over Fuuka with their own anti-materializers and I think their are more HiME then twelve in Fuuka many of them are born with powers. Around the world is taking notice on the HiME's and they willing to fight and conquer. There are alot of explanations for the upcoming saga soon. Materialization is the next mutants of the future.
Old 2010-03-04, 04:42   Link #98
solarknight123

Uh guys just to warn you before this goes on too long, this is a thread to talk about your favorite hetero couple and not to speculate on the background of the series.
Old 2010-03-04, 07:22   Link #99
Highman

Quote:
Uh guys just to warn you before this goes on too long, this is a thread to talk about your favorite hetero couple and not to speculate on the background of the series.
Of course, how would I ever think about it?
Old 2010-03-04, 10:19   Link #100
Minagi Mikoto

Quote:
Hm! Sorry!
Closed Thread