AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Utawarerumono

Notices

View Poll Results: What is their gender?
Both are male. 119 50.42%
Both are female. 105 44.49%
Dorii is male and Guraa is female. 6 2.54%
Guraa is male and Dorii is female. 6 2.54%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-26, 20:53   Link #1
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Guess the Gender of the Utawarerumono Twins

Right then...by somewhat popular demand, this is a thread for you to take guesses at and vote for which gender you think the twins, Dorii and Guraa, are. If you don't know who the twins are, here are a few visuals to help your memory and give you minty fresh breath. Please note: you're guessing their gender in the ANIME. Not the Game.

Xellos-_^ has offered to reward everyone that guesses correctly with free cookies (Rep points if you don't know what that means), and so will I. Please remember: have fun, but post intelligently. Include some follow-up substance to support your opinion. Feel free to use images from the Anime to support your guess. Please don’t flood this thread with mindless babble or my bosses, NoSanninWa, xris and NightWish, will make me clean the toilets in the AnimeSuki offices for 2 weeks.

Cheers (and Roebuck).

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-05-26 at 21:39.
Old 2006-05-26, 21:24   Link #2
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I say they're both male.

Spoiler for reasoning:
Old 2006-05-26, 22:32   Link #3
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

I too say male, mainly cause of their voices, which sound like what young boys would sound like.

Obviously they do have weird tastes, but that's just weird tastes, imo.
Old 2006-05-26, 22:47   Link #4
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I also think both are male.

And I believe so because IMHO, they look like boys and talk like boys. The fact that they have no boobs whatsoever also supports this belief.

EDIT:

So far, 100% of the votes are saying they are males. Guess we are all right or wrong at this point.
Old 2006-05-26, 23:15   Link #5
Green²
It's bacon!

Archers, fast moving, good for scouting. Even this far into the series, and yet we don't even know that much about them. At first earlier into the series, I had thought, probably they be both female. But then as the series began to grow further, one aspect that seemed to stood out of the series overall (well, up to episode 7), was that in what appears to be strongly male dominated.

Logistics, fighting,.. truly, if the twins were indeed female, that would put them in what? Ultra minority of sub 1%? Probably the only two fighting female characters for the entire arc... and young too. Younger than Eruruu,.. probably older than Aruruu, which as we know Aruruu wants to fight, but Hakuoro will not let her.

Does make you wonder if there will be another Tusukuru, that whom appeared to build up power though trust, skill, and wisdom. Heh, probably even up to some really shady stuff to the end by suspicion, but probably expected for an time which has it that women do the cooking, and to welcome their men home from an long days battle.

Still, no fact as of yet to prove that the twins are one gender or the other. If female, maybe living up though an taboo in itself. ...Though not doing an very good job of hiding it, be that the case. But an good start.

Or, say they be men.

Last edited by Green²; 2006-05-26 at 23:26. Reason: Typo correction
Old 2006-05-26, 23:17   Link #6
Neosakai

My first post...

I think one is female and one is male.... Don't really know why, but it just came up to me.
Old 2006-05-26, 23:19   Link #7
tritoch

male because of the broad shoulders inherently found in the male characteristics.

That affects both the anime world and the real world mind you. You would know if someone was cross dressing if *she* has relatively broad shoulders that doesn't match the rest of the body

Do I get my cookie now? =p
Old 2006-05-26, 23:26   Link #8
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo
At first I thought they were both female but to to spoilers, I think male now DX

THEY'RE UKE!! XD

But hey, we'll never know what changes they'll put in the anime D;
Old 2006-05-26, 23:56   Link #9
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
one is female, one is male.

Besides, being "flat chested" coiuld be intentional, warrior females in the past have been known to bound their breast, for ease of movement, or/and concelment.

easily done I think, considering the expected consequences suffered by female combatants....
Old 2006-05-27, 01:03   Link #10
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
one is female, one is male.

Besides, being "flat chested" coiuld be intentional, warrior females in the past have been known to bound their breast, for ease of movement, or/and concelment.

easily done I think, considering the expected consequences suffered by female combatants....
Problem is, which is which, and why?

For me, I'll say that both are males, for one thing, their voices. It just doesnt sound like what a girl their age should be sounding like ; and I fancy imagining a little rasp to it as well. But again, its really hard to tell by going on physical appearances alone, as some of you said, just because their flat-chested doesnt mean they're not girls.

Allow me to present (what I hope is) a different aspect: their Hierarchical status.

Now I'm assuming that this is a round up of their male warriors, its a pretty wide guess but I say this because this band can't be the whole population of Oboro's fort, its too small, and they must have accumulated families; i.e. women and children; an entourage almost~cleaners, cooks, midwives etc etc.

So lets assume this whole trianglular band is made up entirely of males. Note their posture of deference, heads bow, fists clenched to the ground.

Its significant that the two in question also take this position, and not anywhere, but directly behind Oboro, their leader. I imagine, with the view taken on women in the past, if Oboro had older advisors/righthand men/Captains/Lieutenants (which he should have had), and if the twins were female, those men would be preferentially placed in this position of honour behind their leader instead of them. However Dorii and Guraa occupy that place.

In addition, I don't know nothing about traditional japanese (Ainu?) formalities, but I seriously doubt females could do that (bow, kneel, fist clenched to ground, behind master).

Bleh, a whole lot of assumptions, but I guess that your guess is as good as mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
While they do behave rather effeminate, I've seen enough anime to know better than to conclude that means they are in fact female. They're probably just confused. I blame Oboro.
I agree. For their sex, I say they are both male. As for their sexual orientation however, well thats a totally different matter

I've got a question. Will they even reveal the sex of the two?

@CG: I hope my babble doesnt lead to you having to clean the toilets, but if it does, I'll be glad to lend you my toothbrush, for the small chance that it'll be of use in those hard to reach places.

Last edited by Lost; 2006-05-27 at 01:25.
Old 2006-05-27, 01:30   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't think we can discount they may be female based on "who is fighting" as we're due at least one or two clearly female fighters later if you watch the OP and production art.

But.... I'm thinking "metrosexual" males. They are from far away.... perhaps males in their land are just of a more preening variety. Just kind of androgynous "bishie" .... kind of entertaining that none of the villagers have been more quizzical.

I also find it amusing that they were included in the group shot when the "vendor" commented on all the beautiful women in the fortress.
Old 2006-05-27, 03:26   Link #12
Alu
Guide my hand...

Well.., it is dificult to say.., and this is putting it in soft words..

Problem is.., when I think about this.., the thought comes to mind that..; if we are speculating they're gender.., then there surely must be (sooner or later) reference in the anime as to what they're real sex is.

Otherwhise without it, it would make all the speculations here compleatly pointless.., since then we would never know any answer.

Thus.., if there will definitly be a reference then (in the anime series), to me it would make alot more sence to portray it as from what I read in the game-spoilers thread; since after all it would fit the series in a very funny scene; thing that I belive Uta-mono has shown us (and mostely will specialy in the episode 8), that despite the intesive battles and plot, it has a good pace in development bringing with it nice pauses to add a diferent enjoyable content.

So I am realy forced to speculate that they are in fact Male.
Some of the previous comments also tend me to lean towards this supossition..; beeing the voices clearly one of them..

It is true that it is very hard to confirm if the voices are male or female..., but more and more that I hear them it sounds as if they try to give the intention of beeing of "young", since they are in fact surely still bellow 20 years old I belive, despite what gender they turn out to be.
Thus given they're phisical constitution & personality.., I recon the voice would be emphasised by these aspects.

Never the less there are still some doubts in my mind.., specialy regarding that much like Lost said.., having a lack of a huge-chest does not make instantly make them male..

The supositions that Lost made regarding the 'round-up of the warriors' before Hakuoro also makes me wonder..; altough Lost stated the facts that by they taking part behind Oboro (they're master) would in-title them as male.. I will have to dissagree in this..

Since after all we do not know much regarding the customs of war there, despite in most cases "then" I belive women would stand in the behind, even if fighters.., I do not belive this to be the case.
To me they are Oboro's best warrior's, so regardless of they're sex it is only natural that they would take side by his stand.
Plus..., we will later on the anime also see confirmed female fighters.

All and all.., much like everyone's.. my guess is as good as yours.. ^^
I take it.., as going for what seems more obvious.., I still lean on that they are indeed male.

Altough at first I saw them, my opinion was compleatly diferent; as I am sure many of yours where aswell
Old 2006-05-27, 04:55   Link #13
Angela Sanctisstessa
I'm a boy..K?

Send a message via ICQ to Angela Sanctisstessa Send a message via MSN to Angela Sanctisstessa Send a message via Yahoo to Angela Sanctisstessa
i think they are males anyhow...first is their voice, secondly is what Lost has stated

if i'm not wrong, the names used like Kamunagi and such are from ancient japan, so lets imagine if the world setting is in ancient japan, only males are entitled to bow behind their leader, as in the imperial room, only male governors and warriors are in it with the exception of the concubines. so my guess will be they are males
Old 2006-05-27, 06:30   Link #14
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinsoo
At first I thought they were both female but to to spoilers, I think male now DX

THEY'RE UKE!! XD

But hey, we'll never know what changes they'll put in the anime D;
Based on the few references to their relationship in the game, I'd say it's far more likely that Oboro is the uke and the twins are the seme.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-27, 08:53   Link #15
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Sanctisstessa
exception of the concubines
You know, you just gave me an idea Okay okay nvm.

Sorry, but whats Uke and Seme?
Old 2006-05-27, 09:33   Link #16
Chad

They' re both female, because they have tails. Only women have it
Old 2006-05-27, 09:40   Link #17
[H]
Playing my way..

Uke and Seme are words used in yaoi (manXman) term....Uke is the one who acts as the man, while seme is the female -_- but both of Uke and Seme are MALE -_- (inner voice : why do i know such things -_-)

aahh...

It's hard for me to admit.....but i guess Dorii and Gura are males T^T (inner voice: nooooooooo)
Old 2006-05-27, 09:43   Link #18
Alu
Guide my hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
Nope, that is rong.., men have them aswell ^^
During the episode while the twins where training the village men in Archery, there are some scenes there which shows us that "some" males also have tails.

Not all though.., it surely must be something species related.., unfortunatly on some we cannot see they're ears because they choose to cover them up; never the less its safe to assume, that even despite not many diferent ear types have been shown.., there are diferent species withitn the people of Eruruu's village.

So I take it.., given a certain type of ears would mean that that specie also has a tail, even as a male.

Edit :
I found the screenshot I was looking for on this aspect ; its from episode 4, and... was already posted in another thread ^^,
So.., I'll just copy-paste it here :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls

Those are all men from the village. As you can see, some have tails and some don't. I think it depends on the species or clan that they're from (as it is in nature).
Old 2006-05-27, 09:46   Link #19
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]
Uke and Seme are words used in yaoi (manXman) term....Uke is the one who acts as the man, while seme is the female -_- but both of Uke and Seme are MALE -_- (inner voice : why do i know such things -_-)

aahh...

It's hard for me to admit.....but i guess Dorii and Gura are males T^T (inner voice: nooooooooo)
Uh, well apparently you don't know about them too well

Seme is the one on top (the "man") and uke the one on the bottom (the "female").
Old 2006-05-27, 09:48   Link #20
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
At first I also thought so, but both males and females have tails, this is clearly seen in episode 5, or was it 6?

Anyway, I voted for "females", or maybe that is just my wish. Main male characters all use comekind of swords, so they are small sized and rely on their speed and long range weapons.
Closed Thread