Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-08-16, 00:29   Link #4401
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
Let me correct my previous post. To my knowledge (and horror), I cannot recall a single instance in which Ichika was able to win without his harem or the help of some girl. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Now I ask again, was anyone, but me bothered by this?
Of Ichika's long list of failings, why is this even an issue? What's wrong with needing help?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 00:47   Link #4402
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Easy! First, if losing and winning is not an issue, then why let him use a 4th-Generation at first. Secondly, most people consider this is a fighting shounen, so a loser as the main character is bad. Beside, we hate it when girls bully him, and the fact that he need them when things turned bad only made the situation worse.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 02:29   Link #4403
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Of Ichika's long list of failings, why is this even an issue? What's wrong with needing help?
I think, SAO spoilt us in terms of how "awesome" a harem lead should be. Even Otamega had his moments when he was in his element.

Accel World has a super-deformed Haruyuki as the harem lead. He too has a unique super power. And he's a retard. But unlike Ichika, he isn't a retard all the time, and he actually uses his unique power.

Ichika... leans on Byakushiki being awesome to scrape through. Its a terrible waste. I can see why some people take an issue to that.

Interestingly, I don't agree with this being a problem. He clearly does suck, and is only able to keep up so far because his Stratos unit is some Super High School Thingamajig. That is actually internally consistent given his performance in canon. Yes its painful to watch, but since the author has gone out of his way to make Ichika incompetent, a underperforming Byakushiki perpetually needing help is internally correct and strangely not a real problem.

The problem is elsewhere.
Old 2013-08-16, 02:39   Link #4404
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desructo View Post
Also, let us a take a moment of silence in remembrance of Huang Lingyin's sudden demise.

Spoiler for Final Words from the Heroines:
Which part? Volume 9?

No... NO! That's not true... THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 02:51   Link #4405
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Nope, that is after Rin accidently "provocked" Chifuyu in Vol.8. Don't worry, she is still alive!
Old 2013-08-16, 02:53   Link #4406
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Nope, that is after Rin accidently "provocked" Chifuyu in Vol.8. Don't worry, she is still alive!
@babylon: Is that the reason why you write about an OC? Because you don't want to touch the Core Idea?
Old 2013-08-16, 02:55   Link #4407
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
I hope the author is trolling us... :/
Old 2013-08-16, 03:01   Link #4408
Setsuna Asuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Easy! First, if losing and winning is not an issue, then why let him use a 4th-Generation at first. Secondly, most people consider this is a fighting shounen, so a loser as the main character is bad. Beside, we hate it when girls bully him, and the fact that he need them when things turned bad only made the situation worse.
Infinite Stratos is not a fighting shounen.

It is a Armor girls/Harem before anything else

Otherwise it would have focused on Mondo grassi and less on the girls(much less)

Also Teasing=/Bullying
Old 2013-08-16, 03:04   Link #4409
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna Asuka View Post
Also Teasing=/Bullying
OK. BTW, answer this question. Is Tatenashi teasing Ichika means bullying him? *not you, Setsuna*
Old 2013-08-16, 09:10   Link #4410
HasuMasu
*Artist

In response to when IS became a trainwreck, I don't speak for everyone but I thought it was getting better and better until about Volume 7.

Even I didn't like Volume 8 all that much, it just felt off.
Old 2013-08-16, 09:16   Link #4411
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Anything other thing goes very wrong in Volume 8?
Old 2013-08-16, 09:26   Link #4412
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero8420 View Post
Anything other thing goes very wrong in Volume 8?
Well, the plot is kind of loose. And the only good deed tha Ichika has done (outside of saving Tatenashi) is rescue his harem, just before his copy do (Cough)very "graphic" session(Cough).
Old 2013-08-16, 09:40   Link #4413
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I think, SAO spoilt us in terms of how "awesome" a harem lead should be. Even Otamega had his moments when he was in his element.

Accel World has a super-deformed Haruyuki as the harem lead. He too has a unique super power. And he's a retard. But unlike Ichika, he isn't a retard all the time, and he actually uses his unique power.

Ichika... leans on Byakushiki being awesome to scrape through. Its a terrible waste. I can see why some people take an issue to that.

Interestingly, I don't agree with this being a problem. He clearly does suck, and is only able to keep up so far because his Stratos unit is some Super High School Thingamajig. That is actually internally consistent given his performance in canon. Yes its painful to watch, but since the author has gone out of his way to make Ichika incompetent, a underperforming Byakushiki perpetually needing help is internally correct and strangely not a real problem.

The problem is elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Maybe it was just me, but when Chifuyu explained how Byakushiki's abilities were a double-edged sword that only high-class users could use and how she became the strongest with only this ability, I had very high expectations of Ichika. I expected him to fight 1v1 and meet those expectations, but as we all know he didn't.

Last edited by blackwhite67; 2013-08-16 at 10:54.
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 09:43   Link #4414
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, that is another Author's weakness: Spliting un-refined plot everywhere, and one-time used character!
Old 2013-08-16, 10:54   Link #4415
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Maybe it was just me, but when Chifuyu explained how Byakushiki's abilities were a double-edged sword that only high-class users could use and how she becoem the strongest with only this ability, I had very high expectations of Ichika. I expected him to fight 1v1 and meet those expectations, but as we all know he didn't.
It would be an even bigger cop out if he's also some genius that could pilot an IS when he has even less training and experience than all the other girls.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 23:26   Link #4416
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but can someone describe to me in concrete terms where, when, and how IS started to become a train wreck, plot and character wise?
IMO, it's when Tatenashi showed up and curbstomped all the haremettes who're interested in Ichika at that time. That volume was the start of "tournament -> interruption" formula IIRC.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 23:28   Link #4417
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
IMO, it's when Tatenashi showed up and curbstomped all the haremettes who're interested in Ichika at that time. That volume was the start of "tournament -> interruption" formula IIRC.
Oh, so she is the problem, eh? I thought things was began to mess up since Volume 7.
Old 2013-08-16, 23:29   Link #4418
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Oh, so she is the problem, eh? I thought things was began to mess up since Volume 7.
'A' problem, not 'the' problem. She's just the first symptom among many that showed IS had gone downhill.
Old 2013-08-16, 23:41   Link #4419
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
'A' problem, not 'the' problem. She's just the first symptom among many that showed IS had gone downhill.
In a way that the harem genre in this series is somewhat ruined because of her? Damn... What was I thinking? Still, I think I didn't took this harem seriously anymore.

At least I'm not infected by "Charl Syndrome".
Old 2013-08-17, 03:28   Link #4420
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
In a way that the harem genre in this series is somewhat ruined because of her? Damn... What was I thinking? Still, I think I didn't took this harem seriously anymore.

At least I'm not infected by "Charl Syndrome".
I'll expand on this a bit more. The 'harem' side of the story was ruined by the author adding in even more girls after the 'main 5' got established, namely Tatenashi and her imouto. Ran might count, if she does show up like the build-up suggested. Another problem was Houki's brute-forced status as 'Best Girl' for Ichika (even if the narrative never outright states it), with 4th Gen IS tuned specifically to be the best partner for Byakushiki dropped onto her and the narrative going out of the way to show Ichika suffers the least when he's with the tsundere. The most blatant example being how the fanservice scenes of Vol8 showed the rest of the 5 main girls are slutty straightforward and acknowledges they want to be (or at least don't mind jumping right to being) very "physically intimate" with Ichika, while Houki had more platonic love and got burned the least by the mental attacks. Bottom line, Houki actually gets some character development post-Gospel arcs, though she's not much better than the 2D caricature characters the rest of the haremettes are.

Tags
blockhead protagonist, comparison, fanservice, harem, manga rebooted, mecha, not dense mc, seinen, shounen