AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2014-11-19, 09:36   Link #1
Sassage

Last summer at the Anime expo 2014 there was an actual demo for Sword Art Online compatible with the oculus rift virtual reality headset. Since they didnt have a controller or anything, all you could do for now was look around but after watching the demo it sort of got me excited about the possibily of this actually being a game someday. Well, without the actual dying part. Watch the video to see for yourself.
http://kotaku.com/this-is-the-closes...ord-1605136890

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2014-11-19 at 21:33.
Sassage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-19, 22:09   Link #2
Gazdav

Current the only VR we can do is visual.

Medical science is nowhere near the level of understanding the brain that it would require to make nervegear posable. Or what the medical and phycalogical implications could be.

Then there is computing power is not up to the task although in 10 years it may be.

Next is the leagalitys of things such as ethics off.

In all honesty you are probaly going to see a Star Trek holodeck before nervegear
Gazdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-25, 21:18   Link #3
Sassage

Who knows whats gonna happen 20 years down the road. Im sure these visual aspects were pretty unimaginable 10 years ago. And after the whole rift kickstarter now they're a legit company. Video games are changing my friend. Take a look at halo 2 anniversary. Those cutscenes almost look real. Its uncanny. Even if it takes 20 years, the rift is only gonna improve. Nervegear is a little farfetched, but hey im doen with just visuals for now. It would be scary to have that head gear in control of all of my senses

Last edited by Sassage; 2014-11-25 at 21:19. Reason: None
Old 2014-11-26, 07:23   Link #4
Gazdav

As I said currently but in 10 years maybe. (I say 10 years as SAO came out in 2022) Then computing power may be up to it.

Using a cut scean as an example is also not really relevant as those are cgi at its best but in video form.

Now you could argue by saying look at games such as those that use.... cry engine, frostbite2/3, for graphical fidelity. But those engines look good but can not cope with an MMO setting. So you would have to look at something like... ARMA A3, unreal, Forgelight and the creation engines.

Not to mention that you need some powerful computing power to run those on ultra.

Then take into account equipment degradation over time. 2 years of constant running on ultra. Something is going to fail.

Next look at CPU's the fastest standerd CPU with air cooling is at a clock of 4Ghz -4.5Ghz and that limit is because of heat we just do not have the tec to stop that so we have multi core CPUs now. But in 10 years so what ever will replace the I7 range so do not expect the 20Ghz octocore that Kirito was using any time soon.

And again medical tec is still no where near understanding the way the brain works enough. Although we can read neve impulses as can be seen in the use of cybernetic prosthetics. However reading and overriding are two very different things.

I still say that something like nervegear is still way way off.
Gazdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-26, 08:32   Link #5
rantaid

i don't care about technical jargon, the only game i want to play when this technology is available are pokemon in mmorpg and any game by illusions
rantaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-27, 10:20   Link #6
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdav View Post
Next look at CPU's the fastest standerd CPU with air cooling is at a clock of 4Ghz -4.5Ghz and that limit is because of heat we just do not have the tec to stop that so we have multi core CPUs now. But in 10 years so what ever will replace the I7 range so do not expect the 20Ghz octocore that Kirito was using any time soon.
I'll remember this thread if a 20GHz octocore....actually does happen.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-28, 23:33   Link #7
Sassage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
I'll remember this thread if a 20GHz octocore....actually does happen.
Its weird how foreign that seems now, but yeah in 20 years we could all have a good laugh about it. Hopefully.

With our hovercrafts and moon colonies
Old 2015-01-23, 06:48   Link #8
l.kostas

Microsoft HoloLens

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
l.kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 07:15   Link #9
HasuMasu
*Artist

That's really more Accel World which is a good thing.
Old 2015-01-23, 08:26   Link #10
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

I'll wait until it becomes more durable and practical for outdoor everyday use. Something like the Cross-Com system used in Ghost Recon.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 08:35   Link #11
HasuMasu
*Artist

I forgot the name, but there's one in development for construction sites. The display is mounted under a real helmet. It's pretty cool. The helmet doesn't even look heavy.
Old 2015-01-23, 19:50   Link #12
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Scratch that. I'll be happier when this technology becomes mainstream:
Old 2015-11-04, 22:21   Link #13
l.kostas

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...rtually/.94972
Old 2016-03-17, 00:41   Link #14
l.kostas

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/14/11...t-vr-inner-ear

Entrim 4D headphones, which give the user a sensation of movement by tricking the body with "specific electric messages to a nerve in the ear."
Old 2016-03-18, 20:13   Link #15
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/03/1...nshots-videos/

looking more like an actual NervGear now...
Old 2016-03-21, 10:55   Link #16
l.kostas

IBM's Sword Art Online Virtual Reality Experience Detailed in 10-Minute Video Report

Those who participated in the demonstration were able to scan their bodies, which were then rendered as 3D avatars for the demonstration. Users were then able to manipulate their in-game avatar using a variety of hardware, including an Oculus Rift (Developer Kit 2) for head-tracking and VR visuals, Leap Motion and Ovrvision for hand manipulation, a Microsoft Kinect 2 for body movement, and special footwear to detect foot movement. The hardware was labeled "Nervegear Prototype."
Old 2016-03-27, 22:38   Link #17
bakato

I'm skeptical. I bet the controls are a little faulty so I'll give this a couple more years before they have anything like a complete product.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-26, 21:36   Link #18
beast 666
Dragon Of The Destruction

Without a doubt this is one of the news more shocking, that leaves me to the possibility that the "Project Alicization" can really occur.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/28/...of-encryption/
Old 2017-02-24, 04:08   Link #19
Mighty Ulv

question about the neurohelmet

who knows by what principle will work neurohelmet. On the electromagnetic waves or nanoperedatchikah vdivlёnnyh the body. If you know the answer to this question, otvette me an email (Woolfnik3000@gmail.com)
Mighty Ulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-24, 07:22   Link #20
AnimeFangirl

I read in Bloomberg Businessweek not too long ago about doctors using VR helmets on patients undergoing treatment to distract them from the pain and discomfort, like they did in SAO Season II. Will try to find the exact article in a bit.