AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2016-10-31, 08:31   Link #1
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Too nice for his own good

Simple request, I'm looking for major/main characters who are far too nice for their own good. I'm talking about the sort of people who put others' happiness before their own without much if any hesitation. People like Takao from My love Story, who has on multiple occasions said he'd be OK if Yamato cheated on or dumped him, because what really matters to him is her being happy. I want the sort of guys who will abandon opportunities to achieve their own dreams on account of someone else, and I want either for them to be pushed to finally take a chance on one or two cases or for them to have a companion/love interest who notices this and takes steps to make sure that they get their fair share. Again, My love Story AKA Ore Monogatari is a prime example of this. Takao always cares way too much about others compared to himself, has expressed a willingness to accept infidelity or even abandonment by Yamato with a smile if that's what will make her happy, and nearly destroyed his relationship with her before it even began because he thought she loved his friend and tried to help her make that work.

I don't care if this is anime, manga or LN. The only request I have is that these characters don't wind up losing everything. There needs to be at least one really bright gem for them, particularly in the love department, to give the "nice guy" a future that looks bright.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-01, 06:20   Link #2
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Taichi from Kokoro Connect perfectly embodies this trope. He is a "selfless freak" (as described by one of the lead females) in a literal sense because seeing others being hurt generates more pain to him than having himself being actually hurt.

The premise of the show is that Taichi and the other four members of the Cultural Research Club run into a series of strange phenomena that challenge their deepest fears and go into the heart of their own psyches, allowing them to learn more about themselves and becoming better persons in the process.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-01, 17:14   Link #3
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
Taichi from Kokoro Connect perfectly embodies this trope. He is a "selfless freak" (as described by one of the lead females) in a literal sense because seeing others being hurt generates more pain to him than having himself being actually hurt.

The premise of the show is that Taichi and the other four members of the Cultural Research Club run into a series of strange phenomena that challenge their deepest fears and go into the heart of their own psyches, allowing them to learn more about themselves and becoming better persons in the process.
I forgot to mention him thx. Yes, he definitely fits as this type, the sort of guy who has a strong tendency to get the short end of the stick on purpose so everyone else can get more, and who needs quite a few good kicks in various locations to convince him to occasionally try NOT taking all the bad on himself and giving up the good if someone else wants it. Any others?
Old 2016-11-01, 18:23   Link #4
kitten320

Arslan from Arslan Seniki could work. He has no believe in himself and deeply cares for everyone around him including slaves.

Allan Walker from D.Gray Man, ignores massive amount of pain, possibility of banishment and many other things in order to keep others around him safe and happy.

I guess Shirou from F/SN works but his selflessness is on board of being a complete idiocy and ignorance so personally I really dislike him.

Free! - Makoto is quiet selfless, risks his life to save a friend. Rei too who gives up his happiness to keep friends happy at the end of the series.

Little Busters too I would say. Actually almost any MC from Key works.

Noragami - Yato can be very selfish when it comes to small things but at the same time he is extremely selfless when it comes to big things.
Old 2016-11-06, 11:17   Link #5
Jaden

I'll second Fate/Stay Night. UBW anime, or better yet the visual novel

The main character's selflessness is pretty extreme, and is portrayed as a negative thing, like a mental disorder. I like that kind of character.

Old thread
Old 2016-11-16, 08:59   Link #6
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
You said his own good... But what about her own good?

Chihayafuru

https://myanimelist.net/anime/10800/Chihayafuru

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
NervZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-19, 18:12   Link #7
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by NervZero View Post
You said his own good... But what about her own good?

Chihayafuru

https://myanimelist.net/anime/10800/Chihayafuru
I'll take a look; I've been considering looking at that series. That said, these days I tend to focus on stories from the guy's perspective; it's easier to relate. He doesn't have to be the MC, just a major character. He can even be a love interest for a female MC.
Old 2016-11-19, 20:56   Link #8
Fairy Water

Tanjirou from Kimetsu no Yaiba.
He is not just a normal good guy but actually kind at heart that makes you love him.

Hide and Ken Kaneki from Tokyo Ghoul.

Both protagonists from Ake no Tobari.

Helck from Helck

Kotetsu from Tiger and Bunny.

Ueki from The law of Ueki.

Guts from Berserk.

Ascheriit/Koinzell from Ubel Blatt.

Hachiman from SNAFU.
Batman type of nice guy. He takes all the bad to himself to solve everyone's problem.
Fairy Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-19, 23:34   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
I'll take a look; I've been considering looking at that series. That said, these days I tend to focus on stories from the guy's perspective; it's easier to relate. He doesn't have to be the MC, just a major character. He can even be a love interest for a female MC.
Then you should watch Chihayafuru. Taichi is the next most important character after Chihaya herself, and he's definitely "too nice for his own good." Not that Chihaya would notice; she's too baka for karuta.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-27, 20:45   Link #10
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Definitely watch Ah My Goddess. It's an old anime but has one of sweetest, romance plots you'll see.