AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On!! (Second Season) - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 35 50.72%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 21.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 21.74%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 2.90%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.45%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.45%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-10, 03:04   Link #81
zette

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Please don't screw up your GCE 'A' Levels. It would add a small bitter aftertaste to your highschool memories.
'O' Levels actually. I understand you're from Singapore too and I believe what is commonly referred to as high school is known as secondary school here, where the graduation exams are known as the 'O' Levels. And yeah, I am working hard as hell to do well for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I've come to the conclusion that I don't really mind at all if there's no performance or no music at all in the final episode. Their school festival performance was a rock it to the shit display as it is and it's enough of a fitting end for HTT's high school incarnation.
I was hoping too that they would end the season on a high note with a great performance, but indeed it might be better off this way. I think there might be a possibility that one of the two extra episodes will be a concert ep though.

About the latter part of your post, nice interpretation on the symbolism of the tape. When I saw it, I merely went "oh cool, that's the tape we see at the beginning and middle of each ep" but never actually thought that way. Very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Remember Clannad After Story had a recap episode: but it also had an OVA episode, making 24 episodes with stories and 1 recap episode. Kyoani released 8 DVDs for Clannad After Story, each DVD covering 3 episodes, and the recap episode is not included in the DVDs.
Kyoani will release 9 DVD volumes of K-On: Meaning if After Story is any indication 27 full episodes with story is pretty much guaranteed. It'd be a pretty stupid move if Kyoani tries to sell the ninth DVD with only 2 story episodes in it.

Long story short, the 2 episodes after episode 24 shouldn't have a single recap.
As I mentioned above, I think there is a possibility that one of the two extra episodes will be a concert ep, as they did with the extra episodes of season one. And if the first season is any indication, then the other ep would probably be just a simple manga story. But KyoAni might try to do something special here, so who knows. A recap would be lame though.
Old 2010-09-10, 04:42   Link #82
Friday
Im shy too...

jello......

3 episodes to go......
Old 2010-09-10, 04:49   Link #83
NakanoAzusa
KeiOnBu Bucho

Maybe the last two episode will be what happen after...we have that winter episode after season 1...or maybe they will cover up all that is left? ah......my mind can't calm down!!Nonetheless, an OVA after all is over is possible too...
Old 2010-09-10, 05:08   Link #84
Qikz

OVA, Spin off Manga/Anime, just more keion please!
Old 2010-09-10, 05:36   Link #85
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zette View Post
As I mentioned above, I think there is a possibility that one of the two extra episodes will be a concert ep, as they did with the extra episodes of season one. And if the first season is any indication, then the other ep would probably be just a simple manga story. But KyoAni might try to do something special here, so who knows. A recap would be lame though.
Well, in season one the concert episode(I'm assuming you are talking about the one where they just replay all the concerts shown in season one, correct?) was shown at the end of July outside the 13 official broadcasted episode, so it's unlikely an concert episode will be used as the 25th/26th episode.
Old 2010-09-10, 05:49   Link #86
zette

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Well, in season one the concert episode(I'm assuming you are talking about the one where they just replay all the concerts shown in season one, correct?) was shown at the end of July outside the 13 official broadcasted episode, so it's unlikely an concert episode will be used as the 25th/26th episode.
Nope, I was talking about the live house OVA. I know that that was not an official ep in the first season lineup but rather just a DVD/BD special, but regardless it was still an extra ep and the extra episodes we are getting for this season may be similar in some way to that. Unlikely perhaps, but one can hope.
Old 2010-09-10, 09:30   Link #87
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, the "live house" OVA where they met other bands and it was rather illuminating for them. Very good episode.

I guess I'm hoping a bit for something that indicates a "post-high school" continuation of the band at least in the background as they hit college. Japanese university is much less pressured once you get in than high school ... so there'd definitely be time and they're officially attending the same college.
Old 2010-09-10, 10:16   Link #88
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

If they don't do that, isn't there some manga stories that they missed?
Old 2010-09-10, 10:29   Link #89
Pachael
原作通り

A small extension of the tape symbolism that I liked: Mio's comment that many albums start or end with an instrumental. This season started with an instrumental. The album of their (HTT) lives, surely.
Old 2010-09-10, 10:57   Link #90
NakanoAzusa
KeiOnBu Bucho

Now that even the manga ended....I guess its about time for me to face it,K-ON!! is going to end!
Old 2010-09-10, 11:18   Link #91
Hayasa
Fairy Tail & K-ON! Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakanoAzusa View Post
Now that even the manga ended....I guess its about time for me to face it,K-ON!! is going to end!
What?! The manga ended already? Didn't know.

Anyways , I just wish there were more of HTT.
Old 2010-09-10, 11:58   Link #92
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by zette View Post
Nope, I was talking about the live house OVA. I know that that was not an official ep in the first season lineup but rather just a DVD/BD special, but regardless it was still an extra ep and the extra episodes we are getting for this season may be similar in some way to that. Unlikely perhaps, but one can hope.
The first OVA has become more or less canon, since the guitar cases from Yui, Azusa and Mio still have those backstage stickers, which they got when they were invited to do a live show, on them. It's one of those details KyoAni left in all this time.
Old 2010-09-10, 12:09   Link #93
Qikz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakanoAzusa View Post
Well, they could always do more Manga, don't forget, just because they said it's over doesn't mean they can't bring it back soon.

Maybe I'm clutching on straws, but by damn I need my K-On fix each week!
Old 2010-09-10, 12:22   Link #94
zette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
The first OVA has become more or less canon, since the guitar cases from Yui, Azusa and Mio still have those backstage stickers, which they got when they were invited to do a live show, on them. It's one of those details KyoAni left in all this time.
Ah, I wasn't trying to say that it wasn't canon, although I can see how my post can come off that way. I was just referring to how that episode was not part of the thirteen episodes planned for the first season but rather one created specially for the DVD/BD, and whether or not that could be an indication of the likelihood of having a concert ep for the two extra episodes planned for this season, since those two eps are episodes that are planned for the season, not as DVD/BD specials.
Old 2010-09-10, 20:32   Link #95
Dextro
He Without a Title

This episode was really very emotional for me and that's a very very rare thing I tell you, the only other anime I remember making me feel like this was Clannad (more precisely After Story) but that's not surprising since we are talking about the masters of drama KyoAni here.

Considering it's been 5 years since I "graduated" from highschool this threw me back quite a bit and even more so cause I specifically remember that on the day I went for the last time to my school to find out about my exams I managed to go around and look at the empty hallways and talk to some of the teachers I was leaving behind. It's quite the trip down memory lane to me to see these girls I've grown found of for the last couple of years do the same thing.

Look at the places were I've built good and bad memories, where I met my dearest friends... It's really emotional and couldn't help but bring a bittersweet smile to my face as it ended and I realized that K-On!! is ending next week and it's very likely that there won't be any more... ever. And all that is brought home even further by the lyrics in NO, THANK YOU! and the preview devoid of the usual chatter and glimpses of our loved characters. Bittersweet indeed.

But life goes on and one can only dream of what the future holds for the 5 members of Hokago Tea Time, their families and friends.
Old 2010-09-11, 02:13   Link #96
Pathfinder4k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
Well, they could always do more Manga, don't forget, just because they said it's over doesn't mean they can't bring it back soon.

Maybe I'm clutching on straws, but by damn I need my K-On fix each week!
I completely agree!!
Old 2010-09-11, 10:20   Link #97
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Y_Y I'm still crying...

5 more days and the final ep will commence. I just hope KyoAni will do something before all those Azunyan fans go suicidal.
Old 2010-09-11, 11:09   Link #98
Qikz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
Y_Y I'm still crying...

5 more days and the final ep will commence. I just hope KyoAni will do something before all those Azunyan fans go suicidal.
I think it's too late for that.
Old 2010-09-11, 15:34   Link #99
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Wow that was one heck of an episode. Nothing happened, and yet I'm starting to feel emotional.

Darn you KyoAni!!! Those little moments like revealing the cassette tape or mentioning that it's their last after-school time just... Argh... I can't wait to watch the last episode.
Old 2010-09-11, 18:00   Link #100
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

This week on K-ON!!

We open the episode to find Yui being responsible. She's ironing clothes, trying to take down the name of a French bakery, all while singing about how she's a man (a manly man), a man in tights; who roams around the forest looking for fights. She's summoned to the school by Ritsu . . . where we find Ui just about to text Yui to remind her to do . . . what she's already done. Ahh, evil geniuses grow up so fast, don't they?

After the intro, we discover that, for the seniors, their school year is over. The only thing left to do is to walk down the aisle at graduation. So, really, the girls are there to hang out and screw around one last time.

This presents the first image of the girls moving on from their high school days. Everyone else is in class, so the girls don't really have anything to do. They head down to the classroom so Yui and Ritsu can clean out their desks while Mugi and Mio look at their old classroom and wonder at the strangeness of it. They're interrupted by Offdensen Nodoka, who's at school to clean up the student council room, and to make sure the graduation drops the way it's supposed to: Without a f<guitar chord>g hitch.

Nodoka goes back to the student council room and practices the calm behind-the-desk pose she will come to use when she orders Klokateers Tea-Timers to commit mayhem in defense of Dethklok HTT; all while negotiating sweet promotional deals with execs from Gibson and Fender.

She's interrupted by the girls, who find the latest student council yearbook and notice that Nodoka is pleased as punch at her accomplishments in it. This sets the gears turning in Yui's mind. Something's been on her mind since Episode 21, and today it comes to fruit . . . muwahahaha!

But being an evil genius requires lots of energy, so she and Ritsu hatch a scheme to make Azusa the punchline of one last fourth-wall breaking practical joke, and to score some free lunch off the underclass(wo)men. Yui tests her latest evil invention by making Azusa's bread talk to her.

Afterward, the girls drown their sorrows in a lot of booze . . . hey, is that straight vodka? Yui asks the others if they've got any last things they want to do. Mio . . . wants to feed the turtle. Ritsu disposes of the club's last five yen. Mugi bought a ShamWow and was itching to try it out. This convinces Mio that the thing she'd really like to do is clean out the clubroom.

Afterwards, the girls sit in utter silence, listening to the final bell with ambiguous little smiles on their faces, causing the bittersweet quotient of this episode to head for the stratosphere.

A light goes on in Yui's head . . . it's their last day ever . . . there's something that Hokago Tea Time needs to do before it disbands. They're musicians . . . so why haven't they ever recorded any music? In other words, Yui is in full legacy-building mode. With her last high school yearbook photo a complete disaster, it's time to fall back on that other thing she'll be remembered for. The band.

Here, we're reminded that, like all good things; Hokago Tea Time is coming to an end; that the girls are growing up and moving on to college and the professional world after that. They're recording a tape as a legacy to future light music clubs. To let them know that, once upon a time, there were these four chicks and their sixth fifth ranger; and they had this band. They had their fun, and then it was time for them to move on, but they're going to leave something behind for future music clubs to aspire to.

Future music clubs like the one Azusa is about to inherit, but that'll be another story. Right now, she's racing to the clubroom, hoping to see the girls one more time. In this episode, we see more, and more, hints that the suave ultra-mature stoicism with which she greeted the end of episode 20 . . . is an act. Azusa gets few lines in this episode, but heaps of character development as expressed in actions, expressions, and gestures.

Before they record, the girls must first come up with a setlist. Mio proposes an instrumental, as many albums start or end with one. The show comes full circle. The first performance that Yui sees of the proto-HTT in S1 E1 is an instrumental. The first performance of the second season is Yui's solo instrumental.

Mugi tries to record the process of deciding the songs . . . but the girls decide that is the sort of recording you don't ever want played on Where Are They Now . . . Now? and that HTT un-hingedplugged is best relegated to the dustbin of history.

They work into the late evening, but finally, their magnum opus is complete. In another bit of clever symbolism, the tape their recording resides on is identical to the one that we've seen as the eye-catch in every episode of the series.

This was an excellent episode, striking just the right balance of fun and melancholy as the girls of Hokago Tea Time prepare to graduate, and the series comes one episode closer to riding off into the sunset.

Nine golden chocolate breads out of ten.