AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Myself; Yourself

Notices

View Poll Results: Myself; Yourself - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 63 42.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 43 29.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 11.56%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 6.12%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.04%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.36%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.36%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 8 5.44%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-14, 01:08   Link #201
arkxkra
全力全開

This episode was awesome and SHOCK !! I never thought the letter is by Asami, really unexpected.

The twin now is away, their story is stop now i think. Next episode was Nanaka's "fire story", I looking forward to it. Can't wait for the next episode
Old 2007-12-14, 01:32   Link #202
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Seriously, why the heck are we even discussing something so trivial? I mean @#($, just because someone acts nice around you doesn't mean they can't be bad. I've had plenty of nice people back stab me in life.

The possibility of someone else in the series doing something like spreading rumors was void and null with a limit of 13 episodes, like others have said, Asami was literally the only reasonable possibility of being the sender. Plus, they introduced the character for a reason and I am glad it was not just for Nanaka jealously. The creators probably did not just pull this plot out of their ass like people seem to be thinking.

I have one question for all you Asami gone emo haters. If it had been Shuu instead of Shuri that she was in love with, would this have made you feel better about the situation? Whether many people admit it or not, its like they have some problem with lesbians subconsciously that they end up rejecting it in their hearts. You shouldn't have to hint at someone being lesbian anyways! I don't have any of my gay friends in my life flaunting their status to everyone knowingly or unknowingly.

Ok I got the following...

1. Plot buildup wasn't very strong, very very subtle
2. And... yea

SO because of this we end up discussing the possibility of a 12-13 year old being the arsonists and why it wold be bad or not... What?.. Ok, I cannot understand why we bring reality as a defense when we are watching something so unrealistic. FRIENDS in real life are almost never like this. Why do they all have such screwed up pasts? Why are they all so emotional? People seem to be forgetting that this is a fictional tail. In stories like this, emotions and events are the extreme representations of what is going on in real life. I can't think of anyone who would ride a bike like that chasing after a train for that distance... nor can I think of anyone in my life who acts like Aoi.

Hmm, sorry that my post isn't very coherent, its a response to all the different ideas floating in this thread.

Anyways....

The arsonist is probably not going to be predictable at all, as all hints point to the Uncle and well that would be a lame thing. Or perhaps its so lame it's a brilliant but ugly surprise?

I get the feeling from the preview and this series that someone (Probably Nanaka) is going to come to near death, or actually die. I can't really explain this feeling, but I'm wrong. Its just that Nanaka seems like she is falling off a cliff or something in the preview...

And Sana's past has so far been overshadowed by current events, but watch, we won't know what hit us when its revealed. I can tell its not going to be your average teary eyed story, its probably going to be something pretty messed up.
Old 2007-12-14, 01:56   Link #203
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzles View Post
you just sound like you're looking for excuses now(poor ones) what's the likelihood of even that idiot going around student to student saying "oh you know the watsuski(sp?) twins they're totally gettin' it on" lets not forget those two helped stopped shuri from petitioning her fathers project. I highly doubt the principals have a vendetta against the twin's father, they're just trying to keep control(doing a sh***y job of it too) face it the only way that makes any sense if it was if the original sender of the letter did it and Asami is clearly the best option for it they definitely gave us enough foreshadowing for it to be her, people were already making assumptions about her being the one last ep cause seriously who else could it have been?
*sigh* Just saying, just saying. I was making no real point. Don't mind, don't mind. -_-
I'm not even going back into the circle of "enough or not enough foreshadowing" for now... *kind of tired*
Just to answer a simple question, who could it be? The step-mom, but it seems that it wouldn't have satisfied the viewers because of how simple it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Seriously, why the heck are we even discussing something so trivial?
No offense, but it isn't convincing when you follow this sentence with whole paragraphs...

EDIT: One more thing...

Quote:
SO because of this we end up discussing the possibility of a 12-13 year old being the arsonists and why it wold be bad or not... What?.. Ok, I cannot understand why we bring reality as a defense when we are watching something so unrealistic. FRIENDS in real life are almost never like this. Why do they all have such screwed up pasts? Why are they all so emotional? People seem to be forgetting that this is a fictional tail. In stories like this, emotions and events are the extreme representations of what is going on in real life. I can't think of anyone who would ride a bike like that chasing after a train for that distance... nor can I think of anyone in my life who acts like Aoi.
So you think that because this isn't real, anything is allowed to happen? If we can't bring in reality to use as defense, then the line between fantasy and real life might as well collapse.
*Sana grows wings and a giant demon bird's head* <-- Yeah, because this is fictional, we don't need reality for anything in this fiction, so let's add this in and say okay...
You don't know anyone like that, but I'm sure stuff like "screwed up pasts" exist in real life. Just not around you.

Random note: When was an anime a tail? At the most, a tale, but not a tail.

EDIT 2:

Episode 13's title is:

Spoiler for title *drumroll*:

Make it as you will. The title could mean anything and be anything...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2007-12-14 at 02:21.
Old 2007-12-14, 02:24   Link #204
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
So you think that because this isn't real, anything is allowed to happen? If we can't bring in reality to use as defense, then the line between fantasy and real life might as well collapse.
*Sana grows wings and a giant demon bird's head* <-- Yeah, because this is fictional, we don't need reality for anything in this fiction, so let's add this in and say okay...
You don't know anyone like that, but I'm sure stuff like "screwed up pasts" exist in real life. Just not around you.

Random note: When was an anime a tail? At the most, a tale, but not a tail.
Screwed up pasts exist, but all the friends (except Aoi) have them which makes it less believable.

The line between fiction and reality has already been breached. Anyone who has a serious romantic relationship KNOWS that romance in fiction is nothing like real life. Your comment about Sana growing wings is well, taken out of context. "Anything can happen" in context of the situation that is already presented to us or else the story doesn't really add up very well.

Now because you instigated me to discuss this topic, lets discuss "reality."

IN ANY writer's/director's/ect. work we can see that the story is always linked to the environment that he is brought up in. The things he learns from, sees in, and explores in his environment are what a reader/viewer see in the creation. American novels show American culture no? Well what I am trying to say here is that a different reality based off our reality is what is created with any individual piece of fiction. Although very similar, the reality in a show does not equal our reality.

P.S. Yes I do mean "tale"
Old 2007-12-14, 02:39   Link #205
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Screwed up pasts exist, but all the friends (except Aoi) have them which makes it less believable.

Now because you instigated me to discuss this topic, lets discuss "reality."
Actually, while you are right, the thing is that there are few series that do not have characters with horrible pasts. That's what makes it a story because it's interesting. Key's stories like Kanon are a great example of a grouping of people with pasts that could rarely be found on the earth. Myself; Yourself is no different. After all, how many people are interested in a plain show with no uniqueness where we spend 13 episodes getting a cliched end. If Nanaka didn't have the fire thing, or Hinako with her family thing, or Wakatsukis with their family thing, I'm sure we wouldn't even have much discussion.
Well, slice of life exists with shows like Sketchbook. But, mah, in the end, reality...
Mah... I'm sure we can spend the whole week reiterating our points without getting nowhere...

Mah, mah~ Let's not discuss reality. It's too confusing and I'll probably say something I don't even understand... Because in a way, everyone lives in their own reality where the world is just a creation of the mind.

......?

*grabs head*
I'm out for the day... gotta sleep... I can't think straight anymore... May this circle discussion spin again tomorrow~~ Or not...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2007-12-14 at 02:49.
Old 2007-12-14, 03:09   Link #206
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Sorry, but not all writers have an abundance of experience. Most writers write based on pure imagination and/or research of the place and/or time. I doubt Tolken(sp?) came from Middle Earth.

Ok, I have yet to see an intelligent argument as to how this show has good writing. The pros so far seems more like a fans blantely defending something they're a fan of. The "well, it happens in real life" isn't a good argument. In literature, we stand at a different perspective, one cannot hope to realize in our 1st person world. There were many things the writer(s) could've done to make it feel that Asami was the one who did it. And no, a shakey eye moment at the theme park isn't enough >_>...

Like for example; they could've at least shown more obvious hints that she had some sort of feelings for Shuri, we don't need to know that she confessed before yet, we just need to know that some sort of "feelings" are there. Then throw in some things like sometime during the show inner thoughts were discussed but for some reason she avoided the discussion. Have some scenes where it looked like Asami is just lost in thought for some reason, like when she part ways from Shuri after a night out with the gang. Then on the night before the letter was touched upon, show a shadowy figure in front of a computer typing something, make it indistiguishable from the mom and her. All these little things can be overlooked by a normal viewer, and to some, they'll just think she's gay, but never psycho gay that would be the plot twist.

As I stated before, the fact that the step-mother wasn't involved in all of this, leaves a huge plot hole for the family situation. The twins story has ended, only 2 episodes left to wrap things up, and they need to finish Nanaka's and Sana's story. The writers spent a good 1/4 of the series on Hinako, who is cute character, but ultimately pointless to the entire plot of a 13 episode show. This show lacks focus and the writers needs to get replaced.
Old 2007-12-14, 03:14   Link #207
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
This show lacks focus and the writers needs to get replaced.
Or they should have made the anime after the release of the game....

I feel this series is taking away the merits of the game itself.
Old 2007-12-14, 03:14   Link #208
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I'm guessing that the Asami thing came out of left field and running away shortcutted the twin's family story because it was intended to leave the game's actual story unspoiled. The resolution of that plot hole you point out is the prize for playing the game. Asami's mysterious "darkness" mentioned on the website is probably something else altogether that isn't being explored in the anime.

It is a shame the anime decided to come up with their own story when their own writers sucked.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-12-14, 03:19   Link #209
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

pretty freaking sad at the end of this episode
wanted to give it a 10 cuz it got me emotional but i didnt
9/10
Old 2007-12-14, 03:21   Link #210
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post

hope this series will make its own merits as an anime show, i havnt played the game but the anime is gettiing really interesting for me so i cant really complain
Old 2007-12-14, 03:52   Link #211
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
This is starting to be like School Days in so many ways. I remember that everyone complained about the latter episodes of School Days yet the majority of votes were 9's and 10's. I'm not sure what's happening here either...the votes clearly say that you guys love it, yet there is so many people hating it.
Old 2007-12-14, 04:39   Link #212
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
This is starting to be like School Days in so many ways. I remember that everyone complained about the latter episodes of School Days yet the majority of votes were 9's and 10's. I'm not sure what's happening here either...the votes clearly say that you guys love it, yet there is so many people hating it.
I think it's a matter of silent people supporting while vocal people are opposing.
Old 2007-12-14, 04:45   Link #213
Saleh
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
It is a shame the anime decided to come up with their own story when their own writers sucked.
I thought that Takumi Nakazawa wrote the anime original scenario for M; Y while script writers and presentation screwed a well written scenario.

Quote:

I would have agreed but then critics who are put off by the anime adaptation would end up buying the game because author of Infinity series adds a lot of credibility to M; Y game. Others would buy it because they liked the anime or because they were overwhelmed by their curiousity. Is there anyone else who thinks that M; Y would end up in top 10 visual novel sales ranking for 2008?
Old 2007-12-14, 05:57   Link #214
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleh View Post
I would have agreed but then critics who are put off by the anime adaptation would end up buying the game because author of Infinity series adds a lot of credibility to M; Y game. Others would buy it because they liked the anime or because they were overwhelmed by their curiousity. Is there anyone else who thinks that M; Y would end up in top 10 visual novel sales ranking for 2008?
I agree, but I think it depends more on what the viewers in Japan think about this, which is probably very different from our own opinions. Kimikiss has even more threads on 2chan than Gundam 00, but here Kimikiss has only a single thread while Gundam enjoys it's own sub-board with several times more posts. Just because the silent majority here likes M;Y, doesn't mean the same applies overseas where people can actually play the game.
Just by having a known writer and decent art, it would probably generate significant sales, but it depends on how the anime is perceived over there.

I don't even know what to think of this. Is it another story entirely like NoSanninWa suggests? Or have they actually spoiled most of the plot twists? Or is this some prequel to the game? Just what is the relation there?
Old 2007-12-14, 06:03   Link #215
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

It is probably impossible to know the full relation of the anime to game before the game is actually released, but based on the website we can make some educated guesses.

Based on the website it appears that the anime starts like the game and most of the scenarios are the same. This is not a prequel. After that, we can only speculate how close the story remains. I think it is probably an alternate telling, but it might just be one of the possible endings.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-12-14, 11:14   Link #216
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Ok, I have yet to see an intelligent argument as to how this show has good writing. The pros so far seems more like a fans blantely defending something they're a fan of. The "well, it happens in real life" isn't a good argument. In literature, we stand at a different perspective, one cannot hope to realize in our 1st person world. There were many things the writer(s) could've done to make it feel that Asami was the one who did it. And no, a shakey eye moment at the theme park isn't enough >_>...

Like for example; they could've at least shown more obvious hints that she had some sort of feelings for Shuri, we don't need to know that she confessed before yet, we just need to know that some sort of "feelings" are there. Then throw in some things like sometime during the show inner thoughts were discussed but for some reason she avoided the discussion. Have some scenes where it looked like Asami is just lost in thought for some reason, like when she part ways from Shuri after a night out with the gang. Then on the night before the letter was touched upon, show a shadowy figure in front of a computer typing something, make it indistiguishable from the mom and her. All these little things can be overlooked by a normal viewer, and to some, they'll just think she's gay, but never psycho gay that would be the plot twist.
Can't speak for others, but I agree with the criticisms that the plot writing wasn't very strong. I'm only speaking out against those that say this particular plot development is trash because there were not very many hints. The lead up is trash, but the event itself shouldn't be considered trash because of the events leading up to it. Everyone knew that Asami had something to do with the twins after the theme park episode, we just didn't know what. Perhaps they could've portrayed more of a relationship between Shuri and Asami to give this more of a backup. From what I saw, Asami only hung around Sana, it didn't seem like they were good friends. Yet people really are being too critical and harsh on this series because it is only 13 episodes long and they were not able to fit everything in properly I'm guessing.
---
To serenade_beta

This discussion feels like a Melancholy of Haruhi discussion now lol, so yea lets not spin this circle any further.
Old 2007-12-14, 13:00   Link #217
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Razajev View Post
Then again to be fair I'd suspect film critics would give most shows save for ones with high class stuffy auras an F.... Make of that what you will, but it's how I feel.
I usually go and watch the movies that the Movie critics give bad reviews instead of the one that they give good reviews. Never has failed me!
Old 2007-12-14, 14:10   Link #218
changeup

Scenes from OP more often than not have nothing to do with what happens in the story proper......

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
The only problem with the concert is that besides for a couple of characters, the other characters don't know how to play an intrument (the ones in the OP). And now that the twins have run away, just how do they get back? Their father is waiting.
Old 2007-12-14, 14:27   Link #219
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
Hello.
I missed most of the discussion, sorry.
Personally i think that there are problems with logic in this episode.
Also it appears to me that there's little chance for the twins to commit a suicide - they took too many bags with them. So they either come back by themselves or they'll be returned. Normally a person is easily located no matter where one goes, especially in this case when the guys boarded something that appears to be a local train (densha) and not a shinkansen.

personal page at nikorai1.narod.ru
Old 2007-12-14, 14:56   Link #220
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Quote:
I think it's a matter of silent people supporting while vocal people are opposing.
True. People are more likely to voice their opinion if they are pissed about something rather than being pleased with it. Also, a lot of people just don't like arguing with others. That's why on the votes, it appears the majority of people liked the episode, whereas on the comments it seems 50/50.
Closed Thread