AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-06-21, 14:05   Link #1
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
How do you store your anime / manga

I only burn anime that I want to see again... around 25% of what I see. There's a LOT of them now, though. I'm sure many of y'all also have this happy problem.

How do y'all store these things? Has anyone come up with something clever?

So far I've been putting them into those 2 cd clear vinyl thingies, they take the least space. However, they make a pretty ugly stack and are a bit depressing when they fall over.

I've been considering getting a set of 3 ring binders, but the special pages which hold 8 CDs each cost $1 a piece... kinda pricey for the large amounts of CDs I have now.

-k

curious
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 14:17   Link #2
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

i store mine on DVDs (or cds if it's a movie or something) in binder things, i got ones that held 100 and something CDs because the 240+ ones were too big and looked silly
Kyoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 14:17   Link #3
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

While I'm sure this might fall under the "what type are you" category in the rules, I'll answer anyway.

Since I purchase all my anime and tend not to burn anything, I end up buying many, many, many shelves from Ikea. Modular shelving units are nice. ^^;
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 14:24   Link #4
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
I store my anime on DVDs 1 DVD=26 DIVX episodes or 2 DVD=to 26episodes transcoded to be watched on my 57inch HDTV

and I have a separate DVD collection for hentai games iso and Hentai TVseries or cg jpeg games rips cool ehh? ..always well organized from A to Z

Last edited by Yamano667; 2004-06-21 at 14:54.
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 14:46   Link #5
Ending

Seriously, it's getting a pain storing Anime movies/series, or even full mangas. I have only 30 Gb of diskspace and I just RECENTLY bought a new CD-RW -and already wishing that I had taken a DVD-writer instead.

Grrr...
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 14:59   Link #6
Animal4890

here's a suggestion for catagorizing and it includes all your multimedia and software on CD or DVD (not soley your anime). Group and label all of your storage devices. Then label all your CDs and DVDs if you've not already. Next, start an Excel spreadsheet and list them all in there depending on their placement. That way whenever you want to find something or add something then you just go to that spreadsheet to quickly locate what it is you're looking for. I suggest you start doing this early because starting this process when you already have 500+ CDs/DVDs is a monumental task.
Animal4890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 15:08   Link #7
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal4890
here's a suggestion for catagorizing and it includes all your multimedia and software on CD or DVD (not soley your anime). Group and label all of your storage devices. Then label all your CDs and DVDs if you've not already. Next, start an Excel spreadsheet and list them all in there depending on their placement. That way whenever you want to find something or add something then you just go to that spreadsheet to quickly locate what it is you're looking for. I suggest you start doing this early because starting this process when you already have 500+ CDs/DVDs is a monumental task.
I just keep my DVDs in alphabetical order... sorta. They're organized and seperated by Boxset/Artbox, collections (the large multidisc cases. ie: Nadesico) and individual disc jewel cases. Within each of those categories all the series are arranged in alphbetical and disc order, Excel Saga is the exception since the discs don't need to be in any particular order. ^^

To keep track of what I have on my shelves, lent out to friends and/or on order I have a large Excel spreedsheet... it's in need of updating too. >.>;
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 15:20   Link #8
varica

all my dvds are in their cases on shelves.
varica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 15:57   Link #9
Master Ran
The Invincible Dawn

My place is getting crowded and smaller everyday.
For my anime CDrs, i just put it in pudding CD cases. I labeled it of course (name of anime) But putting it in order (A-Z) is next to impossible
So the problem starts when i have to find a certain anime.
Gotta look at the CDs one by one. And to think its more than a thousand CDs.
I usually watch, burn then stock. It won't stay in my HD for more than a week.

For DVDrs (recently acquired burner), i just put it in a magazine type binder.
For my DVDs(original japanese anime and live), they stay on the case displayed nicely for everyone to see.
For my HK DVDs,PS2s,DCs, (and theres' a lot) are nicely displayed and stocked in a crate...
Master Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 16:31   Link #10
bluemist
i am the mist

The horror...

I am databasing using:
- Excel for my anime list.
- AniDB account for details on each file.
- Visual CD to be able to know 'where' the file is located.

I know that Excel list is complete. Problem is, the heck do I know where each file is located! And so I added in Visual CD to database the contents of 'each CD' (take note that not all my CD's contain 'only' anime eps, there may be small anime-related files in it), and used the AniDB account to database all the anime fansubs.

I had to 'painstakingly' check each cd to database it in Visual CD and also to know who the fansubbers are in order to list it in AniDB.

My current stats:
animes: 155
eps: 2230
files: 2278
size: 357 GB
watched: 1607 (72%)
anidb in mylist: 10%
anidb watched: 7%

...BUT I'M NOT EVEN AT 1/3 OF ALL THE CD's I'M SUPPOSED TO DATABASE!
Old 2004-06-21, 16:32   Link #11
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
I'm sorry that the OP sounded like a "which are you?" question, I'm actually Curious to learn better ways to store my burned CDs. I'm also guessing that we fans of downloaded anime are among the first groups of people who need an indexing and storage solution for large numbers of burned disks.

Indexing for me is a simple batch file which reads the contents of the CD-rom and appends it to a text file, along with today's date. After I burn a disk I just double click the batch file, write the date and titles on the disk with a sharpie, and then store them in date order. Of course it's not a Library of Congress-approved method of cataloging the disk, but it's plenty close enough. If anyone else is also Curious here's the contents of the batch file (e: is my CDROM, all.txt is the file):

date /T >> all.txt
dir /b /o e: >>all.txt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Ran
For DVDrs (recently acquired burner), i just put it in a magazine type binder.
For my DVDs(original japanese anime and live), they stay on the case displayed nicely for everyone to see.
For my HK DVDs,PS2s,DCs, (and theres' a lot) are nicely displayed and stocked in a crate...
I'm wondering about your "magazine type binders". What are those, and how do they work for storing disks?

I'm not Curious about the crate. There HAS to be a better way of doing this... or have I just found an unfilled market niche that I can make millions from?

-k

curious
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 16:53   Link #12
cdpinoyx01

Usually i just buy the spindels of 50 - 100 pack cds when they're on sale.... I just keep the cds in those spindels and write the titles on top of the spindel cases...

Works good enough.... the only problem is looking through the 100 cd spindels for small ova cds etc...
cdpinoyx01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 16:53   Link #13
Bracken33

I do not have so many anime yet. But unfortunately I am a backupfreak.
I burn every anime on DVD+R no matter how craptacular it was, just in case I want to watch it again.

The serials I liked I burn even two times.
I also backup my originals, anime or not.

Itīs still manageable because I use a DVD burner. With CDs only I already would have needed a new shelf.

I hope my house will not burn down, or all my efforts were futile.
Floods are also very evil...
Is there a cure for my desease ?
Bracken33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 17:36   Link #14
Tritium
doaho...

i just decided that i won't backup anymore i don't really see the point in it... i've been back upping for 4 years and i haven't even rewatched 5% of it =/
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 17:50   Link #15
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
I have VHSs and DVDs to keep my anime on which I put in the basement. There's a tiny mountain of them. (This also makes it a pain to find anime because once you find what you're looking for, you have to put the other tapes/DVDs back.)
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 18:29   Link #16
7thMethuselah

Well I burn everything I like on CD's. These then get stored on shelves. I have quite a few shelves filled allready.

Once a series I have on CD gets licensed, I starts purchasing the DVD's and thus slowly replace the fansubs by official releases.

The main problem is storage space. No matter how many shelves I add, the CD/DVD just fill them up faster than I can imagine.

To keep track of it all, I made a little database of it all through excell. The problem is it's outdated and the single thought of having to go through the mountains of anime is so depressing .........
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 18:41   Link #17
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Do you mean "how do I store my DV tapes that I recorded off the air?" Well...I don't. I record them while I am asleep, I watch them the next day, I continue the record while I'm asleep, repeat until tape ends. Then I rewind the tape and re use the DV over and over again until it becomes too frail to record.

If there is a show that was interesting, I go out and buy the DVD. They go into the pile that is looming behind my sofa.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 18:46   Link #18
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Amost 200 Gigs of Hard Disk Space

Hehe. In all seriousness, for the series I do burn, I put em on CD-Rs, then on a spindle. Use the little divider rings to keep them separate by series, then use post-its between the spaces. Then, again, I don't back up much so I the majority of my stuff stays on 2 spindles.
Ambience Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 19:06   Link #19
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

I store all mine in the harshest, most inhospitable place imaginable. The Oven. hehe. Just kidding. You can stop having a heart attack now.

I prefer to store them in sealed boxes with desicant if they're going to be stored for a long time then placed in the storage unit which just happens to be temperature controled. (Gauds, I love temperature controled self storage! ) If not then they end up in my bookshelf.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 19:08   Link #20
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
i got (or my friend) a 180gigs of external hard drive.
i store some of my anime there.
and i put them on cd.
and sometimes i put them on cd and dont watch it again cuz im too lazy to search for it.
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote