AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Old 2008-10-03, 15:31   Link #401
Midonin
Last Engage

Zero no Tsukaima's Louise. In some respects, a lot like Taiga, except pink-haired, magical, and uses a whip.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 15:35   Link #402
JediNight
キズランダム

Rie Kugimiya (the seiyuu of Taiga) gets typecast into mostly tsundere roles. Louise is one of her recent roles of a tsundere who is also very abusive to the male lead and uses "urusai x3" and "baka inu!" quite often. So that's why people are comparing Taiga to Louise.

Although the baka inu stuff stops fairly quickly.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 15:40   Link #403
Ultenth

To me it's kind of stupid to keep casting her in these roles. I mean the characters are similar enough as it is, why make it seem like you're just watching the same thing over and over even moreso by using the same seiyuu? I'm sure there are plenty of other people out there that can do a tsundere loli just fine. So sad.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 15:55   Link #404
Man0warr

Besides her voice, it's not really the same as ZnT. Why would they take a chance on another voice actress when shes shown she is the best at voicing those roles? It's not sad, its about making money, and Rie has a huge fanbase because of Shana/Louise/Nagi, for every person that hates her voice there are 100 that are watching this anime because of it.

Later on she really gets away from the similarities between her and Shana/Louise, besides the loli part. That is of course unless JCStaff decides to deliberately keep her being tsun, but in the novel/manga she pretty much gets over it after an important event.
Man0warr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 16:02   Link #405
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man0warr View Post
Besides her voice, it's not really the same as ZnT. Why would they take a chance on another voice actress when shes shown she is the best at voicing those roles? It's not sad, its about making money, and Rie has a huge fanbase because of Shana/Louise/Nagi, for every person that hates her voice there are 100 that are watching this anime because of it.

Later on she really gets away from the similarities between her and Shana/Louise, besides the loli part. That is of course unless JCStaff decides to deliberately keep her being tsun, but in the novel/manga she pretty much gets over it after an important event.
MoW pretty much nailed any points I would have to make...At the start you can see some similarities, but as you get further in she is ,atleast to me, a far better and more interesting character then her 50/50 Louise/Shana vibes give off for now.

Unless like MoW said JC screws it up...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 16:13   Link #406
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Geh, I'm tired of hearing the Louise, Louise stuff. Ok she shares some similarities, but who the heck doesn't nowadays. Plus, I know that there is a specific reason she acts the way she acts, and it isn't some "Oh I really like the guy but I show it by treating him like ****" scenario I've seen a thousand times and, from what I've heard, is how it is in the ZnT anime. In comedies such as these, the relationships between 'friends' usually always better than the relationship between lovers, which is why Toradora stands apart from ZnT. Taiga doesn't like Ryuuji in that way, so she doesn't treat him any differently than anyone else, and when it concerns Kitamura
Spoiler for few moments ahead of ep1:

Guess all the Louise/Taiga comparisons are starting to get to me .

I supposed I can understand the voice issue, esp when I relate it to Eng dubs(Bosch, Freeman, Lee, etc), but fortunately, I've never seen nor am interested in Shana and ZnT, so for me, her voice fits great and I have no issues with it whatsoever.

And Minori's laugh reminded me of Mio's from SW. Liked the voice, hated the laugh :\.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 16:16   Link #407
BigGimp77

Seems like a pretty solid series (assuming JC Staff doesn't butcher it eventually). Definatly felt Shana/Lousie from the baka-ino and urusai. I wouldn't have drawn the conclusion from the phrases but Rie Kugimiya 's voice made me link up the similarities instantly lol. Not a bad thing tho.

But overall I thought it was a good watch. I'll probably stick this series out for a couple more episodes.
BigGimp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 17:04   Link #408
Orophin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I give up. Who is Louise that y'all keep comparing Taiga to?
Louise Françoise le Blanc de la Vallière from Zero no Tsukaima.
Orophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 17:14   Link #409
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Judging from the first ep. This is turning out to be a really good adaption.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 17:14   Link #410
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I was trying to put my finger on why I liked this so much.

One part is definitely that these are more complete characters than we see in many series. I've seen the "kind guy with mean eyes" type before, and I've seen the "violent, angry tiny tsundere" type before, but never have I seen them with real motivations and meaningful backgrounds. I've taken up the light novel (the translated version, for now, and I'll pick up the original when I'm in Japan), and the author deserves good credit here. The light novel is a bit awkward starting out, but by the time it gets rolling it pokes at the entertainment and emotion centers very similarly to the experience of seeing it in motion.

The other part is some talent on this production that I hadn't expected. The lead writer, Okada Mari, worked on scripts on parts of Rozen Maiden (She worked on some of my least favorite episodes, but a similar charm can be found therein), and she took lead screenplay role on Aria the Animation as well as Sketchbook. The director, Nagai Tatsuyuki, did directing on Honey and Clover, storyboarded and directed much of Mahoraba (particularly what I felt were the stronger episodes), and has credits for scripting/storyboarding/directing various episodes on several other excellent series, including being responsible for some of the stronger episodes of the early arcs in Mai HiME and Mai Otome... Most notably the hilariously epic fourth episode of Mai HiME (the "lingerie trap" episode).

Although I wasn't really aware of them as individual writers and directors before now, at this point it's very clear, and having both of them working together is a miniature dream-team for me. I can definitely see both their hands in Toradora, for better and for worse. Mostly better.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.

Last edited by Kyuusai; 2008-10-03 at 22:10. Reason: Fixed gender pronouns. Thanks, Kaoru Chujo! I swear I knew that. ^^;;
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 17:36   Link #411
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
Originally Posted by neothe0ne View Post
Anyway, the teacher: Is she Haruka Tomatsu? Sounded a lot like Chika Miderazaki from Kyouran Kazoku Nikki.
I don't think this was ever answered, so: no, that's not Haruka Tomatsu. The teacher is voiced by Rie Tanaka.
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 18:19   Link #412
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
I believe that's Ai Nonaka. She's done roles such as Shima from Stellvia, Konaka from Negima, Mikan from Manabi Straight, and Fuura from Zetsubo-sensei. Rather distinctive voice, just like Rie Kugimiya.
Thanks. And she does sound like Konoka. Tried and failed at remembering other characters with a similar voice.
Old 2008-10-03, 18:45   Link #413
Slick_rick

Seems like a solid starting episode. Not as good as in the novel but still a pretty good episode. Can't wait to see what else they have in store for us.

Made some freebie avatars for the first episode also.

- -

Last edited by Slick_rick; 2008-10-03 at 20:03.
Slick_rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 19:04   Link #414
neoeagle

One of the series I m gonna watch.I have a pretty high standards I have to say.
neoeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 20:33   Link #415
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Geh, I'm tired of hearing the Louise, Louise stuff. Ok she shares some similarities, but who the heck doesn't nowadays.
I don't think you really appreciate just how many similarities there are between between Aihara and Kugimiya's previous characters. It's not just the same voice and that she's a tsundere, there are so many things she did in this first episode that couldn't help but remind you of Louise and Shana and co. It's not so much a consequence of Aihara's character as it is the combination of her character and Kugimiya's voice. There's no doubt that she's being typecast.

But, then again, I'm not sure what would have been worse, the constant comparisons and discussions about typecasting if Kugimiya accepted the role or the outcry of her not playing a character a lot of people could well think was made for her if she didn't accept the role.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
In terms of making decent, watchable shows (writing and animation quality), J.C. Staff is among the most consistent names out there. By just following the brand, you can expect an acceptable level of quality.

On the downside, J.C. Staff has few home run hitters, which is probably why they get criticized so much. Story is often mishandled along the way and animation is never extraordinary. However, while other studios might produce absolute garbage at times, they sometimes follow up with a big winner (i.e. Doumu -> Crescent Love and then Minami-ke by the same team), which might vindicate them in the eyes of fans.
Which is why I generally think director is a better form guide than studio. Good directors tend to make good anime, and that's usually no coincidence.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 20:38   Link #416
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
Finally got around to actually watching the subbed version, and have to say that i'm having a fun time watching this anime. Can't wait for the next few episodes to see if it goes uphill or downhill.
rainnydaiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 20:44   Link #417
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
Oh it seems I'm 21 pages late for the discussion.
Finally got to episode 1. Watched it raw. Apparently my japanese is pretty bad but I hope I'll manage to do without subtitles, however tempting it may be for me to use them.
Actually I was starting to read the manga a while back but only managed to get though the first 10 pages. It's that it was in Japanese and, to my surprise, it was full of unknown kanji which made reading quite difficult. Or, rather, considerably slowed down the process as I had to refer to the dictionary every now and then.
So, Taiga is like Chiaki, only better (ok, much better). Also I have to say that I didn't watch Zero no Tsukaima so I won't have fits of deja-vu, which is a plus.

As I get it, this was sort of a small pun:
あのラブレターは空っぽだったんだ
(the love letter was empty)
Karappo.. And the next moment we hear Taiga's stomach rumbling .

Apart from that, she's pretty bad tempered (basically it is about "tsun-tsun de ikimasu" thing).

不法侵入
Trespassing (as in 'trespassers will be shot...")
しかも押し付け掃除
Moreover, intrusive help with chores
マーキングしてないでしょうこの犬
You dog, I hope you don’t mark the territory

So, on the whole the anime is in my must-watch list. Clannad is supposed to be very depressing and Toradora looks to be the only anime I can watch without getting stressed.

personal page at nikorai1.narod.ru
nikorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 21:15   Link #418
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
...The other part is some talent on this production that I hadn't expected. The lead writer, Okada Mari, worked on scripts on parts of Rozen Maiden (He worked on some of my least favorite episodes, but a similar charm can be found therein), and he took lead screenplay role on Aria the Animation as well as Sketchbook...
Good comments. I just want to add that Okada Mari is a woman, and that she also wrote many episodes of Simoun (my favorite anime) and was lead writer on true tears (one of my two favorites so far this year). I think producers and directors have discovered her ability: she's the lead writer on three shows this fall season -- this one, Vampire Knight Guilty, and Kuroshitsuji.

I actually managed to find a photo of her. It's either an excellent photo or she's fairly good-looking herself (click to enlarge):

I also agree with the point Sorrow-K just made: I think that the director is a better guide to what a show will be like than just the studio. Although studios do tend to have visual styles, perhaps because of their particular stable of animators.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 22:07   Link #419
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I just want to add that Okada Mari is a woman...
I swear, I did know that. Her name gave it away for me, but it's been a long day, thus me referring to her as a man since I had originally typed that when I got the staff profiles mixed up. Thanks for the correction and the picture!

I agree, there tends to be too much focus on the studio instead of the individual directors and writers. I think part of this is simply lack of visibility. As much as we can try to do our parts in recognizing individuals, due to how these works are created often the credited roles don't give a full understanding of who is responsible for what.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 22:15   Link #420
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I personally have switched from paying attention to the studio to paying attention to director ever since Honey and Clover, and haven't regretted it since. *worships the ground Kasai walks on*

But wow, lead writer of True Tears? Now where's Taiga's rival in love... what are the odds of her being the childhood friend?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen