AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-05-25, 08:38   Link #3101
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
I'm pretty sure that's a husk, someone posted a pic for comparison and it definitely looks the same to me.
If that's a husk, then it's of a type that's never been seen ingame before, not even in singleplayer. It is a new enemy no matter what anyone says (unless it turns out to be static decoration).

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 09:47   Link #3102
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Husk? Nope.

Cannibal? Nope.

Marrauder? *salutes* Nope.

Brute? Nope.

Banshee? Nope.

So it's either a new model, or a new unit.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 13:43   Link #3103
Key Board
Carbon

It's ME3 husk that has been beheaded by a Vorcha

but what you see isn't its front. It's the back.

Notice where the thumb in that picture is facing
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 18:15   Link #3104
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Husks don't have that glowing circlepiece high on their backs though.
Old 2012-05-27, 04:19   Link #3105
XxSleepyxX
Learner

That actually looks like a type of armor you can equip on Shepard. Probably some reaper-tech organic though i'm pretty sure they covered all the main organic life-forms in ME. Honestly doubt they want to make a 4. ME3 had that crappy ending because either they where rushed or didn't know how to properly end it. They basically tried to give a lifeline to the game and milk it by promoting their multi-player. They'll always be making stuff for multi-player if people are playing and paying.
Old 2012-05-27, 07:08   Link #3106
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
It's ME3 husk that has been beheaded by a Vorcha

but what you see isn't its front. It's the back.

Notice where the thumb in that picture is facing
I've seen a lot of husks in ME3, and none of them look that large or that fat and heavily armored (armored husks ingame have fleshy bits as seen with the cannibal on the same pic, not metallic armor). It frankly does not look like anything we have seen ingame as of previously.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2012-05-27, 13:04   Link #3107
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I have no idea what that thing is, but I am still kind of reeling at how big and brass EA's balls are to fuck with their customers this bad and still get away with it.

Here's some free DLC. Except it's not free, because if you actually want the content (also known as "the DLC") you have to buy their stupid booster packs.

Wow. Look how free that is. So free you have to pay money to get it.
Old 2012-05-27, 13:09   Link #3108
Key Board
Carbon

You don't have to. I've gotten all MP DLC content I wanted without paying a cent

You can purchase in game packs with game money or real money, but packs give rewards at random, so it will take a few tries. People who are impatient will just spend real money to speed up the process. It's kinda like what Valve is doing with their treasure keys IIRC

There are enough impatient people that do this to feed Bioware's revenue, so they can release more free DLC in the future

So I thank all of you out there who spend real money on this
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 13:10   Link #3109
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Except... you don't 'have' to pay money. If you just play the game you can buy the packs for credits.
Old 2012-05-27, 14:13   Link #3110
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I have no idea what that thing is, but I am still kind of reeling at how big and brass EA's balls are to fuck with their customers this bad and still get away with it.

Here's some free DLC. Except it's not free, because if you actually want the content (also known as "the DLC") you have to buy their stupid booster packs.

Wow. Look how free that is. So free you have to pay money to get it.
... I have unlocked most of the MP weapons and classes ingame, missing only the Talon Heavy Pistol, and the Indra Sniper Rifle. Said content includes those that came with the Resurgence Pack.

And guess what? I paid $0 to get them. I do not have the ability to make purchases online, and so I can't get Bioware points at all. Yet I still got all the content for FREE.

How? I simply played my ass off and farmed ingame credits to get all of those.

Old 2012-05-27, 22:37   Link #3111
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Sounds very much like the typical operating procedures of your average F2P MMO or Facebook social game, which again doesn't really shock me that they'd be trying business models that work well on Facebook and iOS in other places.

Granted it can be free (as people have mentioned) but personally I'd rather pay 5 or 10 bux for a DLC and get everything right out of the starting gate.
Old 2012-05-28, 01:10   Link #3112
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Granted it can be free (as people have mentioned) but personally I'd rather pay 5 or 10 bux for a DLC and get everything right out of the starting gate.
It's not "it can be free", it IS FREE. The only thing necessary to unlock the items for the DLC is to sink some time into playing the game and buying the reinforcement packs with ingame credits - no hard cash required. You only pay with real money if you're so inclined to do so and think you have enough money to throw around (which many people do for convenience, which is the psychology being banked on here). I don't hear people complaining that they have to sink hours into getting an RPG character to maximum level whether singleplayer or multiplayer since they don't have their abilities "right out of the starting gate", so it's not like players aren't known to be averse to effort = reward.

Old 2012-05-28, 01:23   Link #3113
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

I don't even know why you'd think it's "right out of the starting gate", since even when paying with cash, the rewards are random. You may and can as well be stuck still at the starting gate even when you pay. You get more chances from the get-go, sure, but that's really it. And I really find no need to feel insecure about those who pay cash, since the multiplayer experience is cooperative, not competitive. Unless you have this really, really compulsive indisposition for jealousy, which we then have nothing else to discuss.
PhoenixFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 01:39   Link #3114
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I'm saying I'd rather pay for the DLC and get the DLC without having to rely on a RNG. I don't have a problem paying for DLC. Bought tons of it for FO3 and FONV, no problem at all.

The whole discussion is academic anyway because I thought ME multiplayer was the world's largest bonehead idea to begin with.
Old 2012-05-28, 01:48   Link #3115
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
I'm saying I'd rather pay for the DLC and get the DLC without having to rely on a RNG. I don't have a problem paying for DLC. Bought tons of it for FO3 and FONV, no problem at all.

The whole discussion is academic anyway because I thought ME multiplayer was the world's largest bonehead idea to begin with.
What? The multiplayer was a great idea. What could they have done with all the effort they spent on it, work on the ending? Pffft.

But seriously, I wonder if they had just focused on single player, might they have avoided the bad ending debacle?
Old 2012-05-28, 03:05   Link #3116
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
What? The multiplayer was a great idea. What could they have done with all the effort they spent on it, work on the ending? Pffft.

But seriously, I wonder if they had just focused on single player, might they have avoided the bad ending debacle?
The ending was a result of artistic story decisions resting solely on Casey Hudson's shoulders, which can't be changed no matter how much money or effort you throw at it. Multiplayer pretty much takes nothing away from the singleplayer in terms of storytelling. Even if you took away the time and resources into making multiplayer, if the basis of the singleplayer ending - how it ends - doesn't change, you end up with pretty much the same thing anyway. To throw in an analogy, you can hire a skilled artisan to sculpt a piece of wood into a nice-looking statue, but even if you get a god-like artisan to work on it, you still end up with a wooden statue and not a gold one.

In fact, Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is looking to be ME3's most successful component if the player numbers are anything to go by - heck, I was who initially ambivalent at the concept now enjoy ME3 MP than the SP, and I'm primarily a singleplayer gamer.

Old 2012-05-28, 04:33   Link #3117
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
The ending was a result of artistic story decisions resting solely on Casey Hudson's shoulders, which can't be changed no matter how much money or effort you throw at it. Multiplayer pretty much takes nothing away from the singleplayer in terms of storytelling. Even if you took away the time and resources into making multiplayer, if the basis of the singleplayer ending - how it ends - doesn't change, you end up with pretty much the same thing anyway. To throw in an analogy, you can hire a skilled artisan to sculpt a piece of wood into a nice-looking statue, but even if you get a god-like artisan to work on it, you still end up with a wooden statue and not a gold one.
Or it can look gold by gilding it with paint ... which is kinda what is being developed currently to dress up the bruise that's the ending. In any case, I agree that the multiplayer component is independent of the single-player component, which for the most part works rather well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
In fact, Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is looking to be ME3's most successful component if the player numbers are anything to go by - heck, I was who initially ambivalent at the concept now enjoy ME3 MP than the SP, and I'm primarily a singleplayer gamer.
Probably. Unfortunately, the drive to play it is beginning to flag on me - there isn't much incentive to play other to get the new stuff (characters, primarily), but I mostly never change into the new stuff so there we have it.
PhoenixFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 04:50   Link #3118
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:

And yet six posts back you were complaining about the multiplayer DLC not being free.

This business model isn't that bad. Indeed, I myself prefer it. With the option for players to buy packs with real money, the DLC itself can be free while still being profitable.
Old 2012-05-28, 04:51   Link #3119
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

A fellow I know theorized that ME3 was shoehorned into competing with Diablo 3, and the tacked on MP mode of ME3 does resemble the public game system of D3.

Bottomline however, someone said something and ME3 has now got to do somersaults where it didn't before. Some people find that an improvement, others would disagree.

I don't have a stand myself, thanks to the lack of time to even play the hours needed.
Old 2012-05-28, 06:51   Link #3120
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
A fellow I know theorized that ME3 was shoehorned into competing with Diablo 3, and the tacked on MP mode of ME3 does resemble the public game system of D3.
This theory rather falls flat due to the fact that ME3's release date was published when Diablo 3 didn't even have one yet. No one knew when Blizzard was going to release D3 (they were still in closed beta as late as a month before launch), and so ME3 couldn't have competed with D3 for that reason. For all anyone knew from Bioware or anywhere, Diablo 3 could've been released in late 2012 to 2013. Besides, Mass Effect 3 is not in the same class of RPG as Diablo 3, and thus there'd be no real competition to speak of.

Also, I kinda take offense at the MP being called "tacked on", since the MP is a fully functioning, if rather basic, feature that's actually quite enjoyable.

Tags
effect, games, mass