AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-24, 16:31   Link #1341
Destined_Fate

I think you're focusing too much on his short and reasonable whining moments since he had a lot to deal with which he did later man up to. Look at it this way. At least AO isn't turning out as bad as the other sequel to a series - Aquarion Evol.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 16:37   Link #1342
ChocoBar9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Just from the first three episodes...

1) Ao never really stood up to the "Ao'ism" made by the islanders. Even from the get go Ao mentions that the reason he doesn't come visit Naru directly is because of her father, and Naru says "that's always your excuse" or something to that effect.
That's...not even whining. The 3rd and 4th episode even makes a point by putting his perspective on the matter

Quote:
2) 2nd episode has Ao in full whine mode. Island under attack? "BUT there's international forces! Let them do their job!" Landing an FP in ship? "But it's moving!" Heck, even leader of the three stooges specifically called him out on his whining this very episode.

This is not to mention that despite all the whining, Ao still did what the leader of the three stooges told him, from getting into the car between the 1st-2nd episode to IFO-jacking.
What? Again you have a very strange definition at what constitutes as whining constitutes as whining and no Gazelle did not call him out for "whining" pay attention. All his concerns were justified since he really didn't know what Gazelle was planning to do or what was even going on, the sole reason why Gazelle brought him on board was because he wouldn't give him the bracelet.

Quote:
3) "WAAAH! WAAAH! It must be my fault that G-monsters attacked the island. I'm disgusting!" Paraphrased with his talk to Naru at the end of episode 2.

Of course, followed up at the beginning of episode 3 "I'm not gonna pilot because people will hate me even more!" Of course we all know how that turned out.
Also not whining, the last one is arguable but barely. It seems to me that you're just grasping for straws.
ChocoBar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 20:26   Link #1343
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Just from the first three episodes...

1) Ao never really stood up to the "Ao'ism" made by the islanders. Even from the get go Ao mentions that the reason he doesn't come visit Naru directly is because of her father, and Naru says "that's always your excuse" or something to that effect.

2) 2nd episode has Ao in full whine mode. Island under attack? "BUT there's international forces! Let them do their job!" Landing an FP in ship? "But it's moving!" Heck, even leader of the three stooges specifically called him out on his whining this very episode.

This is not to mention that despite all the whining, Ao still did what the leader of the three stooges told him, from getting into the car between the 1st-2nd episode to IFO-jacking.

3) "WAAAH! WAAAH! It must be my fault that G-monsters attacked the island. I'm disgusting!" Paraphrased with his talk to Naru at the end of episode 2.

Of course, followed up at the beginning of episode 3 "I'm not gonna pilot because people will hate me even more!" Of course we all know how that turned out.
I don't understand. A 15 years old boy thrown in a chaos that kills people, forced to fight in a giant robot against said monster, gets discriminated even more when he does fight(rewatch ep 3 and the child's response there if you think ao's refusal to ride said robot in order not to get more hated is baseless) and you calls him whiny? He does end up fighting said monster in the end you know, and whining is actually a natural response when you're confronted with something sudden that you're not ready for. I think you underestimate life and death situation in battlefield from watching too much shounen series lol. Ao is far from perfect as character, but whiny is definitely one of his flaw.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 22:52   Link #1344
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

This show just keeps getting more and more boring to me. I'm feeling so ambivalent towards it.

I'm sorry, this cast is a bore. The fights are an even bigger bore. and the plot feels so irrelevant.

This has nothing to do with being a good sequel anymore, it's not even a good show on its own to me.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 22:56   Link #1345
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
I think you're focusing too much on his short and reasonable whining moments since he had a lot to deal with which he did later man up to. Look at it this way. At least AO isn't turning out as bad as the other sequel to a series - Aquarion Evol.
Hey, EVOL doesn't suck. It's much more fun than the first series. Okay fine, the plot is stupid, but I don't know who watches a show that stupid for the plot anyways. I certainly don't.

Anyways, I think E7 Ao's writer literally saw Guilty Crown and said, "I can do a better rip-off of Evangelion than that." I have to say, he's succeeding so far.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck

Last edited by Flawfinder; 2012-06-24 at 23:16.
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 23:29   Link #1346
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Not terribly much to say this week other than the scene at the shopping center was pretty amusing and so far I find Ivica the most interesting character in the show, but not really interesting enough to spice up what is still an incredibly slow moving plot for a 24 episode series. Really just feels like I should be more attached to the cast and the plot at this point, but it's been pretty strictly monster of the week and teaser fare so far and pretty dull fighting at that. I've been pretty patient with the show and trying to give it the benefit of the doubt as it follows it's EVA like formula along what I've resigned myself to acknowledging will be a fairly uneventful first half (not the first time I've seen this) but lately in like the past few weeks it's been just kind of like "ehhh" every time I go to watch. It's like something I watch to get onto the next episode while I wait patiently for the plot to kick in.

Oh well guess we'll see what the next episode brings. I really do hope it's more than just vague talk about power plays between the U.S and Generation Bleu and a monster that shows up and has to be blown to bits with special guest appearance by The Truth. Something with a little more intensity and consequences.....
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 23:32   Link #1347
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
I don't understand. A 15 years old boy thrown in a chaos that kills people, forced to fight in a giant robot against said monster, gets discriminated even more when he does fight(rewatch ep 3 and the child's response there if you think ao's refusal to ride said robot in order not to get more hated is baseless) and you calls him whiny?
Surprisingly, people have been throwing the same card towards Renton. Renton was also a young dumb kid in an experience way over his head, and yet no one cuts him any slack. I'd say Ao is quite a contrary case - he gets the job done even when he is pissing himself with fear.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 23:42   Link #1348
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
Surprisingly, people have been throwing the same card towards Renton. Renton was also a young dumb kid in an experience way over his head, and yet no one cuts him any slack. I'd say Ao is quite a contrary case - he gets the job done even when he is pissing himself with fear.
I like Renton fine, but I stopped giving him some slack when the second half started and he "still" whined. Why are you whining in the second half? There was barely a single thing that happened in the second half that justified his whining.

Old 2012-06-25, 01:18   Link #1349
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
Hey, EVOL doesn't suck. It's much more fun than the first series. Okay fine, the plot is stupid, but I don't know who watches a show that stupid for the plot anyways. I certainly don't.

Anyways, I think E7 Ao's writer literally saw Guilty Crown and said, "I can do a better rip-off of Evangelion than that." I have to say, he's succeeding so far.
The general consensus is that it was a pretty bad sequel that couldn't even handle its characters all that well. Or the countless retcons that have ruined Genesis for many. So yeah, at least AO isn't outright retconning things though we're still in the dark on stuff like secrets, Truth, Eureka, and if this is even the same world. So there's still hope that everything will make sense in the end between Eureka Seven and AO.
Old 2012-06-25, 09:16   Link #1350
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
The general consensus is that it was a pretty bad sequel that couldn't even handle its characters all that well. Or the countless retcons that have ruined Genesis for many.
I'm aware of that, but I was under the impression that the general consensus was also that nobody liked Genesis. Plus, I love how the show handled its characters. Okay, the main three and the villains are crap, but everyone else is fine.

Old 2012-06-25, 09:21   Link #1351
Destined_Fate

Eh, Genesis had its problems but it was at least the original so there was nothing really to compare it to. Evol has some nice Mecha combat, so it at least as that even if it failed as a love story for the main pair. Shame the Evol retcons ruined Genesis for new and old fans that watched Genesis. The only characters it handled well were the side characters and Zessica before they decided she must suffer for no reason at all.

Anyone, this is supposed to be about AO. Lets just drop this here.
Old 2012-06-26, 04:06   Link #1352
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Looks like the anime isn't a commercial success at all. Despite the first volume being priced cheaper and only including the first two volumes, it still only managed to sell about 4k with BD and DVD combined. With the price going up by 2000yen for the remaining volumes, it is likely that sales will drop even further from next month onwards. Definitely nowhere near the success that BONES was looking for.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 09:20   Link #1353
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Looks like the anime isn't a commercial success at all. Despite the first volume being priced cheaper and only including the first two volumes, it still only managed to sell about 4k with BD and DVD combined.
Of course it did. (*Sigh*)

Old 2012-06-27, 02:57   Link #1354
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

That's half of what the original series pulled in, right?

"Extended version" of Episode 2 is nothing but the ending reinstalled and the credits moved from C-part to where they properly belong. Bleh.
Old 2012-06-27, 05:54   Link #1355
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Episode 10 , what a joke.... the whole setting are bad , boring , it's not even more interesting to watch. Dropped.
First Aquarion Evol , now Eureka 7 , if the producers don't know what to make , just make the new FMP season or a reboot already.....
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 14:31   Link #1356
0bservation

Smile

Well I can't blame people who don't like this show given the apparent slow development so far. One thing I would like to say in regards to secrets. To me, these are the only links we have to the first anime that confirm everything we knew from that anime happened already and thus indicate this is truly a sequel. If you look at secrets as symbolic representations of events that occurred throughout psalms of planets then a lot of what Truth says relating to secrets begins to make sense. Based on what I've seen so far and I could be wrong, but I think secrets are nothing more than manifestations of universal forces that tend to keep order in check. If scub really are coming from the world we know from psalms of planets, then trying to exist in this universe simultaneously might be the reason these manifestations take the form of events that occurred in that same universe the scub are coming from and seek out the active quartz which might serve to connect the scub as a single entity to eliminate the scub. Just a thought for you guys to think about and nothing more
0bservation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 19:15   Link #1357
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

I just like it because it's Evangelion with camp value. And just like Evol, I don't care about the plot all that much. It's fun. That's all I need.

Old 2012-06-28, 15:00   Link #1358
ChocoBar9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
That's half of what the original series pulled in, right?
Quote:
○交響詩篇エウレカセブン
DVD版 【全13巻】 ※UMD:UMDスペシャルパック
巻数   初動      累計    発売日
    DVD(UMD)    DVD(UMD)
01巻 5,989(3,453) 8,118(*,***) 06.07.22 ※合計 11,571枚
02巻 5,219(2,569) 6,666(*,***) 06.08.26 ※合計 *9,235枚
03巻 4,476(*,***) 5,945(*,***) 06.09.23
04巻 4,762(2,051) 6,221(*,***) 06.10.28 ※合計 *8,272枚
05巻 4,951(*,***) *,***(*,***) 06.11.25
06巻 4,847(*,***) *,***(*,***) 06.12.23
07巻 5,652(*,***) *,***(*,***) 06.01.27
08巻 5,557(2,015) *,***(*,***) 06.02.24 ※合計 *7,572枚
09巻 5,148(1,791) 6,445(*,***) 06.03.24 ※合計 *8,236枚
10巻 5,846(2,024) *,***(*,***) 06.04.26 ※合計 *7,870枚
11巻 5,477(1,884) 6,995(*,***) 06.05.26 ※合計 *8,879枚
12巻 5,278(1,747) 6,801(*,***) 06.06.23 ※合計 *8,548枚
13巻 6,903(2,297) *,***(*,***) 06.07.28 ※合計 *9,200枚、DVD月間 8,024~8,039枚(売り上げ金額ベースより算出)
First volume sold 8,118 combined with the dead UMD format. It eventually went on to do an average of 8.5k per volume. AO won't be reaching those numbers at this rate, funny I thought it would do better given it's preorder numbers but I guess you can't trust those numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Episode 10 , what a joke.... the whole setting are bad , boring , it's not even more interesting to watch. Dropped.
First Aquarion Evol , now Eureka 7 , if the producers don't know what to make , just make the new FMP season or a reboot already.....
Ah, the disgruntled anime fan. Your whining is music to my ears

Last edited by ChocoBar9; 2012-06-28 at 15:11.
ChocoBar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 15:12   Link #1359
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Spoiler for Ep11:

Ohh, something is on now!

Spoiler for Ep11:

Last edited by Daniel Lind; 2012-06-28 at 15:32.
Old 2012-06-28, 15:13   Link #1360
konart

Gekko go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler for 11:

For a second I thought I saw Diana in a preview 0_o

Last edited by konart; 2012-06-28 at 15:46.
konart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, mecha, romance, science fiction, shounen