AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Old 2008-10-03, 09:20   Link #381
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I thought Kimikiss was good, but in that it's watchable. You can't get the True Tears or Clannad or ef buzz out of it even you threatened its life.
I could say the same about all the shows you mentioned (most especially ef... blech), but that's for another thread for another time. To each his own.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 09:43   Link #382
Xellos
There will be no miracle

Send a message via AIM to Xellos
Managed to catch the first ep this morning before work. Was pretty pleased with it, especially since Kugi isn't using her usual loli-tsundere voice. I did catch a little bit of it every now and then, but nothing too bad. My only hope is that JC staff doesn't screw it up, but they seem to do first seasons alright at least. +1 for the palmtop tiger scene.
Old 2008-10-03, 10:05   Link #383
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Well first impressions are interesting. I am honestly still not sure what i thought of the first episode. I dont know if i can deal with another psycho love sick loli, but i never completely judge a series by the first episode. A couple of moments really did make me laugh especially when Taiga through that Mike Tysons "you got knock da the F&%$" Punch i was laughing so hard, plus the random classroom part when the desk and stuff flying all over the place. I do see similarities in this series with others that have been mentioned. Coming from J.C. Staff i have high hopes for the series but we will see J.C. Staff is so weird about the productions as of a late. Iv either loved them or hated them no in between.

Didnt really have any problems with the animation style not exactly my fav but it works. Voice acting was darn good and im not surprised given whos voicing. Well not much else to say only time will tell.
Old 2008-10-03, 10:40   Link #384
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Serviceable first episode, but I'm more of a fan of later happenings in the story then the intro stuff anyway so barring J.C. screwing it up this should be one of my favorite shows this season.

I did really like Rei's voice though...It's nice to hear a fun growling grumpy voice from her and even helps me forget about Louise abit...Although part of that resentment is just from how bad the show has been to that character.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 10:50   Link #385
mako1138
tsun tsun dere dere

Just watched ep 1. They changed a few things here and there plotwise, compared to the novel, but I felt it worked out very well (e.g. the wallets). I'm not so sure about what they did to the character designs, though. Taiga looks a bit too much like Chiaki -- understandable, since it'd be way too much work to animate all the fine structure in her hair. Overall though, JC Staff has got the quality going.
mako1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 11:32   Link #386
Ardi220288
Rooaaarrrr

pretty good for first episode though I prefer the novel especially the character design I'll wait for more episode to comment
Ardi220288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 11:37   Link #387
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eczema View Post
Finished the first ep. I haven't read any of the Toradora novels. I usually don't follow current series, but I'll probably pick up this, Clannad AS, and Nodame 2 even though I have a huge back-catalogue to catch up on.

Even though they were faulty in other areas, I enjoyed other J.C. Staff/Rie Kugimiya collaborations mostly due to Kugimiya's tsundere loli performances. But in Toradora, the male protagonist is just as interesting, if not moreso, than Kugimiya's character. Similar to Kasanoda from Ouran, Ryuji is a scary-looking guy with a heart of gold. He has social problems due to his looks, and has to deal with family issues due to a presumedly criminal father. His interactions with his peers are hilarious. Taiga has also shown more depth in one episode than Louise did in the entire first season of Zero no Tsukaima. She actually has a reason to be the way she is.

Nods to Shana and Louise were also present in the first episode, with some "Urusai! Urusai!" (only two), and exclamations of Ryuji being a dog thrown in there. Hopefully this doesn't continue throughout the rest of the series and that they develop Taiga into something more than just a Shana/Louise clone.

Toradora is funnier, and appears to be more of a romcom than an action series, with the potential to develop into more serious drama given the protagonists' familial issues. Looks good so far.
Rewatched the first ep again, and I must say that the supporting cast also has potential. I hope Toradora doesn't predictably go the LoveCom route and have them try to set eachother up with their friends. The ED is also clever in how it alludes to the logo.
Eczema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 12:03   Link #388
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by neothe0ne View Post
I honestly hope you're trolling us here -_- Who hasn't heard of gg...

Anyway, the teacher: Is she Haruka Tomatsu? Sounded a lot like Chika Miderazaki from Kyouran Kazoku Nikki.
I rarely ever download the shows I watch so it doesn't really come up. And going by the list of shows they've done, the only show they've subbed that I've watched is.... Genshiken and Geass (With Geass being AS airings only).
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 12:10   Link #389
Nikusu

Send a message via AIM to Nikusu Send a message via MSN to Nikusu
Was it me or did gg's picture look a little off? Was it just a bad raw cap or bad encoding?

Anyway, I personally thought the first episode was hilarious. The only thing they need to do is add in someone of those AMAZING facial expressions from the manga.
Nikusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 12:33   Link #390
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

It's not just you, it's slightly grainy. This raw I have looks much nicer ^_^''

Just from the first episode, I can hardly imagine how would Taiga be deredere, guess she's like 95% tsun tsun and 5% deredere?

J.C Staff barely makes master pieces, but they tend to do watch-able stuff.
Old 2008-10-03, 12:37   Link #391
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Okay.... I liked it. But I'll readily admit it hits my "easy score" buttons with both the of the characters..... (echoes of other such pairings) "hand crafted", liked that line.
Old 2008-10-03, 12:45   Link #392
rg4619

Quote:
J.C Staff barely makes master pieces, but they tend to do watch-able stuff.
In terms of making decent, watchable shows (writing and animation quality), J.C. Staff is among the most consistent names out there. By just following the brand, you can expect an acceptable level of quality.

On the downside, J.C. Staff has few home run hitters, which is probably why they get criticized so much. Story is often mishandled along the way and animation is never extraordinary. However, while other studios might produce absolute garbage at times, they sometimes follow up with a big winner (i.e. Doumu -> Crescent Love and then Minami-ke by the same team), which might vindicate them in the eyes of fans.

Given the number of shows aired each season (lots of bad and average shows, but there are always a handful of A+ winners), the consistently average/decent but never fantastic studio loses the most good will, despite having commendable minimum standards.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 13:30   Link #393
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
I haven't read the novels or manga either, so I walked into this series blind without prior knowledge of the series and it's flow. I knew a little bit about the characters, but that's it. But I figured I would have to see a JC Staff tsundere series, so I may as well as watch one as it's fledgling.

Ryuuji is a pretty good character. The problem he has with his face is constant, so it's nice to see him handle his surrondings. He's a nice guy, yet he doesn't mind getting angry when something strange happens. Pretty likeable so far, so you do want to wish the best for him.

Taiga is pretty hardcore right now for a tsundere. While I like that Kugimiya has a bit of a deeper tone for this one compared to Louise and Shana, it still doesn't clear up the fact how tsuntsun she acts. It's hard to like her because she acted completely tsuntsun in the first episode and she just seems so ungrateful of Ryuuji even though they've only interacted for two days. I know tsunderes aren't that nice at first, but she really seems to be going off the deep end pretty quick.

I just hope she starts to change up, because while things are confusing at the moment, I'm still rather intrigued at what will happen. People do say she has some great dere-dere moments, but I do hope that we see them soon. That and a bit more character interaction between their friends would be nice, so I hope we get the best from this series.
Nukerjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 13:32   Link #394
Xellos
There will be no miracle

Send a message via AIM to Xellos
I read a some of the manga and there are some great dere-dere moments in there. It also shows a little bit of why she's the way she is. Agree with lv23 in that I hope they bring some of the facial expressions of the manga over to the anime.
Old 2008-10-03, 13:45   Link #395
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
Taiga pics go !
Thanks I'm saving this one

Cookie for ya!
Old 2008-10-03, 14:06   Link #396
Mandrake

Taiga's voice actress this time didn't go for too high pitched this time. It suites the character
Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 14:52   Link #397
Solafighter
Hige

Good start for the first episode. I will follow this series.
Old 2008-10-03, 15:06   Link #398
Man0warr

Quote:
Nods to Shana and Louise were also present in the first episode, with some "Urusai! Urusai!" (only two), and exclamations of Ryuji being a dog thrown in there. Hopefully this doesn't continue throughout the rest of the series and that they develop Taiga into something more than just a Shana/Louise clone.
This isn't a throwback to Shana/Louise, Taiga says this stuff in the novel - she calls him a baka inu for the first whole novel Plus, she actually has reasons to act how she does which become apparent later on.
Man0warr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 15:08   Link #399
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I'm always looking for a for a good romance/romcom that doesn't follow the classical harem route. Toradora has already gained my attention because both parts of our destinated couple do actually have a crush on somebody else! *shock*

Still, I don't know where is will be going in the future and it might have gone into standard mode by ep 3 already. I'm giving it a 60-70 percent finishing probability.
Old 2008-10-03, 15:31   Link #400
LKK

I give up. Who is Louise that y'all keep comparing Taiga to?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen