AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2003-12-03, 14:13   Link #41
method

A year is not that long of a wait. Is it?
Doing a licensed series like gungrave could easily lead to another AJ/UV situation or escalate depending on the group. If groups want to keep companies from turning into the MPAA, they don't need to do licensed series. You did say you don't want to see anyone hurt by this didn't you.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 16:54   Link #42
maxthelostboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by method
Doing a licensed series like gungrave could easily lead to another AJ/UV situation or escalate depending on the group. If groups want to keep companies from turning into the MPAA, they don't need to do licensed series. You did say you don't want to see anyone hurt by this didn't you.
well all series are licensed no matter where and you are braking the law geting them anyhow. And almost every1 on this fourm downloads anime right? And why should we just keep whineing about this when we cant really do anything(including myself)
and it's so nice how people respect each others views on this board
maxthelostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 19:27   Link #43
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocariSweat
Someone said in another thread it was based on freenet. Somehow I don't think that's the case because with freenet no one person really shares a file - instead it's encrypted and uploaded in random bits to the network as a whole. A given user may be sharing bits and peices of thousands of files, but even they can't tell or choose exactly what.
Winny does support the bits and pieces thing when possible. However, once you fully download a file, or if you share a directory, Winny will share the entire file until you delete it from the cache or unshare it. Hence, once you finish downloading a file, you'll continue sharing it. The cache IS encrypted, but if you have the right search keywords, you can unencrypt it. For example, suppose "Linux Appz.tgz" was one of the files you have cached. You may even know which file it is, but you'll be unable to open/decrypt/find the file unless you search through your cache using Winny and type in "Linux" or "Appz" or something like that. Furthermore, I'm not quite sure if Winny does en-route caching like Freenet. For example, if packets pass through you, I'm not sure if you retain those packets, but it's possible (at times I've had uploads of up to 5k/s when I hadn't downloaded anything).
To find an infringer, you would probably have to be directly connected to him/her instead of through a transport proxy node. However, if you infiltrate enough nodes in the network, you increase the chances of a direct connect. If you compromise a routing node, you can probably create a giant log to comb through of all the connections, and then find IPs of your colleagues who are putting in searches to find sharers. Lastly, you can also see what people are searching for in the nodes you're connected to directly in Winny, it's in the first panel.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 20:52   Link #44
method

I respect no one opinions. :P
I enjoy playing devil's advocate on this board.
Anyway what I say won't change anybody's feelings.
Old 2003-12-03, 21:43   Link #45
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
Quote:
method

While your right, I only have one answer. You may not agree but the only reason I have downloaded it, I want to know whether or not it's worth my money when the dvds come out. If I don't like the series, then i won't buy it. However, if the series rocks then i will most definity buy it when it comes to dvd. To wait a year and get it on dvd without even seeing it is too big of a risk. I have bought wayyy to many dvds over the years and wasted my hard earned money because i hate the series.
Xiandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-04, 00:22   Link #46
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Winny does support the bits and pieces thing when possible. However, once you fully download a file, or if you share a directory, Winny will share the entire file until you delete it from the cache or unshare it. Hence, once you finish downloading a file, you'll continue sharing it.
That's still quite a bit different I think. With freenet the idea is no one person really has the whole file and no one even knows what they have. All you do is set aside so much disk space - say 500meg - for freenet to use as it likes, but it's (hopefully) impossible for anyone to really know what's there. That's why you can't finger a single user as sharing a particular file. No one person is sharing it, but any freenet member may (or may not) have a bit of it at any given time. The idea is to keep it completely unrelated to what you upload or download, so when you get a file you get it from the network as a whole rather from a set of specific users.

Freenet's original goal was to allow people to publish files anonymously, but to achieve that it sacrifices efficiency. It's a neat idea, but not really very fast or very good for large files. It also suffers if too few nodes stay connected full time.
PocariSweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-04, 00:38   Link #47
method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiandu
While your right, I only have one answer. You may not agree but the only reason I have downloaded it, I want to know whether or not it's worth my money when the dvds come out. If I don't like the series, then i won't buy it. However, if the series rocks then i will most definity buy it when it comes to dvd. To wait a year and get it on dvd without even seeing it is too big of a risk. I have bought wayyy to many dvds over the years and wasted my hard earned money because i hate the series.

What somebody actually said I'm right. This is a special occasion.

You have decent reason, I just worry about the effects that this could have. Someone needs to.
Old 2003-12-04, 00:48   Link #48
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
Quote:
What somebody actually said I'm right. This is a special occasion.

You have decent reason, I just worry about the effects that this could have. Someone needs to.
LOL! I know that it is cause for concern. Any time licensing comes into play it is very shakey ground. It really makes you wonder if you can keep going or are you leading to the demise of fansubbing, but then i look over at the stacks of dvds that i wish i never bought and that kind of drowns out my guilt. Never said it's right, just saying that is how i feel.
Xiandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-04, 01:43   Link #49
skylion

Two cents...

I am new to fansubbing, so I wanted to offer my two cents.
I don't pretend to know too much about international liscensing laws, or anything like that. But I do know my own personal right from wrong.
Is it wrong for a company to charge thirty bucks for a two/three episode dvd? No. Is it wrong for you too buy that dvd? No. Is it wrong to bitch about it once it's over and done. Well, yeah, stupid. Caveat Emptor and all that stuff.
Companies so have us at a slight disadvantage. They know which buttons to push. I used to be in marketing. It is a very necessary slimey thing. Without it, every bit of entertainment that we get would be bland/mediocre/middle of the road. The very thing which lets us escape from the dull day would become lifeless itself. What's the point? Well, the point is that we are in a dual love/hate siutation with any money-making company that provides us with a product or a service. Well love that they give us cool stuff, but hate the fact they charge so much for it. They love it when we spend money for thier stuff, but hate it when we look for other-cheaper alternatives.
Getting something for as little as possible is a human thang. It's an itch we will always scratch. Some scratch it until the rash is visible to any and all, some scratch it in moderation. In the past two weeks or so that I have been downloading anime, I have been cautious. It's not that I don't want to break the law, laws being open to so many loopholes and so much of it based on impersonal review, it's that I don't want to break my own personal code of conduct.
I love UFO Princess Valkerie. Do I think that it will ever reach the American shores as a release. To the strong goes the fight and the swiftest the race, but bet on your gut instinct. UFOPV wil stay in Japan. So will Battle Programmer Shirase. I could be wrong. But the moment I am proven wrong, I will, more than likely, save my pennies and get them.
I was able to get all the eps for Last Exile when I first started the downloading hobby. I didn't know that it was not only liscensed, but that it was coming out in the middle of December. Guess what's on my Amazon wishlist for Christmas. Well, all the Chobits manga in a neat little box, but I feel obliged to buy Last Exile. Not just because I feel that I bent my own personal code, but because it is a quality product (and I want a high quality copy that doesn't freeze frame every now and again--damn my slow computer and its ugly monitor). I want to support this industry. Last Exile made me feel good.
Anyway, I will close the rant and rave. It really doesn't matter if we abuse this thing. in the end, if the powers that be with the money we gave them and the lawyers they hired with it want to take steps to shut it all down--it will get shut down. I don't think that they will go thru the trouble to hit the internet. They will just make it obsolete. Concurent liscensing of shows in Japan and the US are already starting to happen. This will take the honest fansubbers out of the game, and make the dishonest ones stand out like a rash.
For me. I plan on getting what I can, and buying what I can. My friend started doing the downloading thang two years ago. He promised to support Love Hina and Excel Saga and he has. I plan on supporting LE, Gunslinger Girls, Chrno Crusade, ROD the TV and various others when the budget can afford it.
My two cents turned into a few bucks.
skylion is offline   Reply With Quote