AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-11-22, 10:41   Link #941
Hakuryu_Hikaru

If you allow me, anything with onsen on the moon ought to suck big time. I don't watch this particular show. But I got to say that reading the discussion around it it's the funniest thing ever!
Hakuryu_Hikaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 11:34   Link #942
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletha View Post
The Toa x Jin relationship is the worst part of the how. For some reason I think it's gonna continue like this for a while....

Spoiler:

Kazuki makes me laugh though..... His douchebaggery knows no bounds.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 12:00   Link #943
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 14:59   Link #944
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuryu_Hikaru View Post
If you allow me, anything with onsen on the moon ought to suck big time.
Why? Doesn't your design for a colony city on the moon include recreation facilities?

This is the ISDA in its guise as the progressive vanguard of human civilisation. Of course thier lunar city has a spa, rain and an excess of coffeeshops, alleyways and service tunnels. Also plenty of spare carparking space to leave giant armoured command trucks in.

It is not stoic pioneer Moon base Alpha so much as package holiday destination Von Braun provides park benches for the heroic mecha pilots to meet and angst on.

More Gundam Universal Century than Space 1999.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 15:35   Link #945
Hakuryu_Hikaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
Why? Doesn't your design for a colony city on the moon include recreation facilities?

This is the ISDA in its guise as the progressive vanguard of human civilisation. Of course thier lunar city has a spa, rain and an excess of coffeeshops, alleyways and service tunnels. Also plenty of spare carparking space to leave giant armoured command trucks in.

It is not stoic pioneer Moon base Alpha so much as package holiday destination Von Braun provides park benches for the heroic mecha pilots to meet and angst on.

More Gundam Universal Century than Space 1999.
Honestly, the only thing I expect from my fiction is to suspend my disbelief. Given that I doubt that they would waste such a precious commodity as water in the moon on account of pathetic fanservice, this show for me, as a viewer,doesn't accomplish its ultimate purpose.
Not to mention that freaks me out to imagine what kind of guy would get aroused by pathological gigantic breasts. Furthermore, I watched the Shinken sub. When even the subbers can figure out what kind of show we're talking about here, I say, there's a problem.
Old 2007-11-22, 15:54   Link #946
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Spoiler:
Ever do something you know you shouldn't but you couldn't resist? Same concept for Toa, I think. I guess it'd be like a girl having a jerk boyfriend but can't stop going back to him even though she knows she shouldn't and vice versa ('cept isn't a jerk, just emo, sometimes!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
looking over wikipedia's character info on this anime it says it hints that jin had a successful resonaonce when toa saved him (ie shuttle disaster). if this is true then why does g10 side with him instead of merging with toa in fights?
I bet this will be answered as series the goes on. It seems it'll be central to the plot what with how often it's pointed out.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 17:56   Link #947
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuryu_Hikaru View Post
Honestly, the only thing I expect from my fiction is to suspend my disbelief. Given that I doubt that they would waste such a precious commodity as water in the moon on account of pathetic fanservice, this show for me, as a viewer,doesn't accomplish its ultimate purpose.
Remind me never to live in any lunar colony you design.

The tech level in this show is somewhat higher than UFO or Star Cops or The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and has Space 1999 or UC Gundam as a lower bound. They are past the pioneer stage of space colonisation.

Since Jin's parents can afford to ship him and Ai to the moon for a holiday while his mother is on a tour up thereas part of work and Ryoko, Saki and Megumi think of the lunar city as somewhere to go on vacation this is a long term mature colony that is an appropriate destination for middle class tourists.

Between recycling [and that city looks big enough to have an almost full scale water cycle] mining and diversion of icebearing apollo bodies there is no reason to consider water particularly precious compared with the ISDA's evident desire to make the moon a comfortable place to live.

To be honest the way the lunar city appears to be operating at 1g should probably be more of a problem that some planner deciding to use a relatively small part of his water budget to improve the morale of the citizens. The designers think regular rain makes sense which gives some indication of what resources they have to play with.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 18:16   Link #948
Teletha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouta View Post
Ever do something you know you shouldn't but you couldn't resist? Same concept for Toa, I think. I guess it'd be like a girl having a jerk boyfriend but can't stop going back to him even though she knows she shouldn't and vice versa ('cept isn't a jerk, just emo, sometimes!)
Yeah, that does make sense, but
Spoiler:
Teletha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 18:21   Link #949
Hakuryu_Hikaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
Remind me never to live in any lunar colony you design.
It just so happens that I didn't design the Moon or wrote the laws of Physics.
In the moon, as far as human science knows, there's no atmosphere. If you create an artificial one, like they did, and somebody shoots blowing a window, everything that is in that pressurized environment will be fatally sucked into the vacuum. That's how things are, I didn't make then that way. For one things won't go down the drain.
Maybe in Planet Happiness one such a thing won't happen, so I think it would have been wise to put one onsen in Planet Happiness not in the Moon. It's kinda insulting my intelligence. But other intelligences obviously can bear with that.
I am not even questioning the intelligence of the character who shot, in the first place. I mean, there's such things as suicidal bombers, but he was also putting the lives of his *friends* in the line. What kind a friend/ally is that?
If it were to be Moon, how many people would actually survived that one? I mean, assuming that even the laws of Physics can be ignored, what kind of air were they breathing and how long can you survive without air. And if they can survive without air, why build such an expensive dome or something.
If you choose to ignore what the Moon is, it's your choice. IMO, either obey the laws in the Moon or don't call it Moon. Again, this sort of thing doesn't work to suspend my disbelief, if it works for yours, great. You know, one man's trash is another man's treasure and it's all good.
From Wikipedia:
According to science fiction writer Robert A. Heinlein, "a handy short definition of almost all science fiction might read: realistic speculation about possible future events, based solidly on adequate knowledge of the real world, past and present, and on a thorough understanding of the nature and significance of the scientific method."

Last edited by Hakuryu_Hikaru; 2007-11-22 at 19:48.
Old 2007-11-22, 20:12   Link #950
crinaea
white cotton pantsu

watching this show is like watching a train wreck.

you keep hoping that the headless burning orphans will come rolling out any minute.

...what, did they spend all the plot and character development money on blue drop or something? had none left over?
crinaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 20:27   Link #951
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Recollection

-Reflections of the Heart-

I just happened to watch the seventh episode already, and despite flashing shameless fanservice in the first half, the second half addressed interesting topics about Siegliende's past, Raina's meeting with Garnet, and new evidence about the complexity of the dragons' emotions.

Spoiler for Gio:

Spoiler for The Spirytus incident:

Spoiler for Siegliende:

Spoiler for Widow:

P.S. Kazuki truly pisses me off with his whiny, sore loser attitude, and I-changed-my-haircut-to-give-myself-a-bad-boy-look-so-I-can-take-revenge-on-my-childhood-friend-for-stealing-my-prized-dragon-from-me.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 21:15   Link #952
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
I Just watched episode 7 by shinsen subs. the most suprisingly part is at the end of the show where shinsen subs interviews characters from dragonaut(?)

KA---ZU----KI(?) *laughs*
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 21:27   Link #953
Hakuryu_Hikaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crinaea View Post
watching this show is like watching a train wreck.

you keep hoping that the headless burning orphans will come rolling out any minute.

...what, did they spend all the plot and character development money on blue drop or something? had none left over?
Blue Drop... No gratuituous elements, everything there has a reason to be. Tells you something, advances the plot. Everything has *meaning* it's important to the *story.*Not only that, but it can be read at so many levels. It so well written, I want to cry.One needs focus to read/watch fiction, as simply as that. And the writing there is always going to the point. Strangely enough, pretty much the same only survival thing. Beautifully worked on BD. Pathetic to say the least here.
Old 2007-11-22, 22:21   Link #954
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
what, did they spend all the plot and character development money on blue drop or something? had none left over?
Blue Drop is not a Gonzo series, they are just in charge of the 3D graphics there.

Seriously, Kazuki has major mental deffincies. The deal he struck with Jin made no sense - neither of them can actually force Gio to return to kazuki once Toa was saved.
Anyway, I really liked how Gio punched the idiot and told him he was not his toy, so he wasn't stolen. Well, not exactly that but it was to this effect.

I think I see where Toa is coming from - she wanted to end Jin's depression so she stuck around him but in the end the guilt was too much so she felt obliged to tell him the truth. Sure, it could all have been handled better but I didn't find it too bad. What I find bad is this Widow suddenly deciding to obey an obvious psychopath like Kazuki. I wonder what the ISDA will do about the two of them.

Quote:
According to science fiction writer Robert A. Heinlein, "a handy short definition of almost all science fiction might read: realistic speculation about possible future events, based solidly on adequate knowledge of the real world, past and present, and on a thorough understanding of the nature and significance of the scientific method."
That sounds more like hard science fiction, there is a lot of sci-fi out there that doesn't care about the scientific method and so on and is there only to entertain. This is a series in which the main character survived an explosion of a space shuttle, don't tell you that didn't get that realism was its last concern long ago?

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 22:28   Link #955
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
there is a lot of sci-fi out there that doesn't care about the scientific method and so on and is there only to entertain. This is a series in which the main character survived an explosion of a space shuttle, don't tell you that didn't get that realism was its last concern long ago?
In which case, I would label it 'fantasy.'
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 22:31   Link #956
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Wow Kazuki is so gone it's not even funny. "Jin isn't your master....I AM!!!!" Yeah...who wouldn't want to be your dragon? Really most people would just line up to be around you. Besides the fact it's like accusing Jin of taking his new bike. Almost say Gio should have hit him even harder just to make a point.

Yeah I think Toa just dropped the bomb on Jin so he'd let her leave and not follow. While I'm sure that's been on her mind before the dream refresher course she would have been happy to stay with him.
Old 2007-11-22, 22:33   Link #957
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
In which case, I would label it 'fantasy.'
And you would be wrong according to me but the definitions of sci-fi and fantasy are too many so I'd rather not go into that. Let's just say that the definition by Heinlein is not at all the only one and there is a lot of sci-fi in which the science part is pretty much a joke.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 22:40   Link #958
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
And you would be wrong according to me but the definitions of sci-fi and fantasy are too many so I'd rather not go into that. Let's just say that the definition by Heinlein is not at all the only one and there is a lot of sci-fi in which the science part is pretty much a joke.
I would say that 'science-fiction' applies to things which abide by known scientific facts or current theories. Fantasy does not.
I.E., Star Trek is science fiction, while Star Wars is fantasy.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 22:48   Link #959
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Onsen on moon = low gravity jugs = heaven on earth (well the moon )
Old 2007-11-22, 22:59   Link #960
Hakuryu_Hikaru

Just a little clarification here. Is Toa Jin's sister? Shall we add Incest to the already long list of sundry pervertions fanservice here? Or they going to figure out that they're not *really* siblings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Onsen on moon = low gravity jugs = heaven on earth (well the moon )
And as for onsen on the moon, if the moon is like a dragon's fly away from earth, I still can't figure why don't they just fly back to earth, instead of spending a lot of money getting water there. Do dragons also serve to ferry water?
But kinda makes sense since Japanese love to watch the moon and be in onsen. When we think, it gets to make sense, somehow. I am just missing the rabbit on moon on that one, but never mind that...

Last edited by Hakuryu_Hikaru; 2007-11-22 at 23:14.

Tags
action, ecchi, romance, sci-fi