AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2009-12-24, 10:40   Link #1
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

PS3 Media Server and Fansubs

Hi everyone, I've tried searching through the forums but it doesn't seem as if many people here have ps3s and even fewer stream anime to it to watch it on the big screen.

Regardless, I'd like to ask if there are any ps3 media server users out there who have successfully managed to stream .mkv anime and get the soft subbed subtitles to display without extreme slow down during the streaming process?

I'm fairly sure it's not an issue with the transcoding computer because I'm running a core 2 quad 6700, so I probably need a bit of help configuring it or fixing up codecs.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Old 2009-12-24, 21:53   Link #2
Smeghead

Yeah i got ps3 media server working on my ps3, this is the guide used this to get it up and running.

http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/view...php?f=6&t=3507
Old 2009-12-24, 22:56   Link #3
BradF
Evac
*IT Support

First are you doing this over a wired or wireless connection? If wireless specify your router (b,g, or n).

With running a Quad Core your correct you should not see any slow down at all. My duel core easily does 1080p over wired. If running over wireless you may be hitting your routers bit stream cap. Up'ing your buffer cap may help also.
Old 2009-12-24, 23:23   Link #4
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

I'm running over wireless on the ps3. It's an n router, but I think the ps3 only supports g?

It doesn't have any issues when I stream something that doesn't have subs or if i choose to ignore the subs. Does adding subtitles add that much overhead to the stream? :O.

Old 2009-12-25, 15:19   Link #5
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphic View Post
I'm running over wireless on the ps3. It's an n router, but I think the ps3 only supports g?

It doesn't have any issues when I stream something that doesn't have subs or if i choose to ignore the subs. Does adding subtitles add that much overhead to the stream? :O.
Unfortunately, it only supports G. The only way to get N speed is hooking it up to a router or wireless bridge via ethernet that has Wireless N support. Also, PS3 supports gigabit ethernet.
Old 2009-12-25, 16:14   Link #6
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphic View Post
Transcoding-wise, not much. Bandwidth-wide, possibly since subs have hard edges which takes up more bits to code them (compared to some blurred mush), although since they're static and don't change as often as animation does it shouldn't be that bad.

I have no clue about the PS3 and Media Servers, etc, but sounds like a software issue to me. Any chance you can capture the transcoded stream that goes to the PS3 and upload two quick versions somewhere (w/ and w/o subs of course) for someone to look at? Maybe the issue could be somewhere there...

P.S. Can you see how long something takes to transcode when you're streaming it, or how much CPU it uses?
Old 2009-12-27, 03:13   Link #7
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

Hmm, How would I go about capturing the transcoded stream?