AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-08, 15:58   Link #41
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm... Well, this one was kinda interesting and kinda boring at the same time. Will give it a few more eps I think.
Old 2013-07-08, 21:56   Link #42
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

This seem like a good lay back anime got to say a trap right off the bat it just great
Old 2013-07-08, 23:09   Link #43
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Also, I seen it in other animes, but you can't drink alcohol underaged, but its fine to buy them at stores?

I seen many times when teenagers or under are sent to do errands and they bring back sake with them.
I don't think anyone's underaged in this show. Except maybe the kid brother. The main character is a tanuki, so he can look like whatever he wants to look like. Just based on the way everyone treats him, he seems to be in his twenties or so, at least mentally. Of course as a youkai he might even be hundreds of years old, but I'm not sure how this setting will treat them.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 01:29   Link #44
Tenzen12

Not sure if it's true, but I heard he is 30.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 11:00   Link #45
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

As others have said, I feel that the first episode is a poor showing as it doesn't feel like the 'very beginning'. For example, it's hard to understand the loyalty the crossdressing guy has for his master when all they do is talk about the past incident, rather than actually showing it. Which is weird, considering they did show the guy's first meeting with the master, so I am confounded why they have skipped such an important event.

Oh well, still on board. Hopefully next episode is better.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 13:41   Link #46
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I think the reason they've left it ambiguous is simply to raise questions and pique people's curiosity for now which I think worked well personally. They showed the "before" and the "after", right next to each other in order to highlight the stark contrast. And the characters feel very relatable with their banter and their very human two-faced desires and regrets. I think it was a very good first episode.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 14:11   Link #47
cyth
Banned

I think that for a first episode perhaps focusing on just one pairing would work well. Stuff like this is usually for episodes in the middle of the show. Then again, I'm not an anime creator. It felt like they wanted to show off the whole of the dynamic that's already in place (although to be fair, there are more characters still). As it is though, it's like a house of cards, a lot of cards, but nothing concrete for me to grab hold of. I just feel like, given the awesome worldview and cool characters, they could have tried to pique my interest in a different, less subtle way.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 04:06   Link #48
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I quite enjoyed this.
Beginning the story in a way that gives the protagonist an established background with other characters makes him feel like a real human being instead of the blank slate we usually get.
Despite, you know, him not being human.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 06:03   Link #49
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I should probably be happy that this show isn't running on the same machine gun dialogue speed that Tatami Galaxy, since it seems the pace of the show is very different.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 08:18   Link #50
RollingPenguin

It would seem to me that most people who complained about this episode want everything about setting,characters and such to be revealed immediately.Like criticizing first episode of Evangelion for not letting us know why is Gendo Ikari such a dick to his son.Not to mention that many of things that people thought were left out for some reason,were actually there.
RollingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 10:58   Link #51
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPenguin View Post
It would seem to me that most people who complained about this episode want everything about setting,characters and such to be revealed immediately.Like criticizing first episode of Evangelion for not letting us know why is Gendo Ikari such a dick to his son.
No it's more like starting to watch Evangelion from episode 9 and wondering why Shinji is piloting a mecha.

As other people have noted it feels like the first episode is at the middle part not at the beginning of the story.
Old 2013-07-10, 12:02   Link #52
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Solid first episode. The setting and characters are quite interesting.

They'll probably explain more in upcoming episodes.
Old 2013-07-10, 15:24   Link #53
RollingPenguin

Quote:
As other people have noted it feels like the first episode is at the middle part not at the beginning of the story.
Why do you think that it is like in the middle of story?You can apply " it feels like the first episode is at the middle part of story" to every single show that leaves out some information at the beginning.
RollingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 15:35   Link #54
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
When this is done, it is done for a reason. Like I said above, this works to give the protag an actual background, as well as to create a kind of... mystery, I suppose, to be revealed later.
Are you completely unfamiliar with anything other than the standard harem anime format, or what?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 16:17   Link #55
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Well, that was great. Somehow I can keep up with the first episode without problem. Aside from some unanswered questions (of course), I don’t feel lost at all (maybe because I already watched too many fantasy series). Besides, the eccentric characters, simple drawing yet pretty-fluid animation + beautiful background-scenery really add to my enjoyment. The story also feels genuine and witty. Definitely a keeper.
Old 2013-07-10, 16:20   Link #56
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Are you completely unfamiliar with anything other than the standard harem anime format, or what?
Yes that's right I only watch harem anime, never touch any thing else (my best rated anime in my animelist confirms that) so enlighten me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPenguin View Post
Why do you think that it is like in the middle of story?You can apply " it feels like the first episode is at the middle part of story" to every single show that leaves out some information at the beginning.
It feels to me the episode was set up in such a way that I'm supposed to know and care about the characters and know about their predicament. Except is I don't.

Now you obviously are going to disagree with that and I'm going to disagree with your disagreement and so on. So I'm going to end it here.
Old 2013-07-12, 03:37   Link #57
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Yasaboru is one of the best crossdressing-type characters I've seen in a while. He's funny, clever and has the a bit of the cool factor in the way he both drinks and smokes. It's in contrast to the ridiculous schoolgirl outfit he wears. Mari Okada should take lessons from this on how to do crossdressing characters because the way she does it is so caveman .

Aside from that, really liked the opening episode overall. Had a zany, whacky feel to it without going balls out with the supernatural elements out from the getgo which is something I tend to dislike. Sufficiently surreal but not overly arthouse nor trying too hard. Although the visuals are simplistic and fantastical I really like the change since everything from Hanasaku Iroha to Red Data girl had that very similar photorealistic look with "Iroha-clone" character designs so it's nice to see something for a change.

I am not fond of the opening though. Who the hell hired a Shaft-like animation director for that?! It's so damn cheep looking. The song is decent and catchy though.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2013-07-12 at 03:49.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-12, 15:04   Link #58
Somnus
Eh?

I've been looking forward to this show since I read a preview about it, and finally got around to watching the first episode. Final verdict: This show intrigues me to no end. As many before have said, it seems we've been dropped right into the middle of the story already. Even more to the point, we're seeing a time skipped story after a crucial development had occurred. Either way, I can't wait for more from this world and its characters.

Also, Benten. This enigmatic woman already has me wrapped around her finger. Not much speculation going on in the few pages here, but if I'm assuming correctly Benten really is a normal human woman who was taught to fly by the old tengu? It also seems she was in a relationship in with him as well, and got...bored possibly? (Based on the ED stills)

Lastly, the music playing when he was carrying the old tengu home was fantastic.
Old 2013-07-13, 22:49   Link #59
Puu

I love it so far. I was sort of skeptical about it (and decided to check it out only because I loved Pom Poko) but after seeing the first episode? I think I'll stick with it. I hope to, at least!

The main character is cute too...
Puu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 03:08   Link #60
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Definitely the best first episode of the season. I didn't think PA Works had it in them, but I'm impressed. I loved the atmosphere and relationship between the three intriguing. Hope the rest of the show don't disappoint.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p.a. works