Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2016-08-13, 05:33   Link #61
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
TCW also gives him better dialogue and acting.
That's not really saying much, especially considering some of the dialog in Attack of the Clones, but they really did do a good job of fleshing out the character and giving his actions more meaning, rather than the largely "we need Anakin to (re)act this way because plot" treatment in the movies.

As for me, I have the benefit of having grown up with the Original Trilogy. I have enough of a "Vader baseline" in my head that can partition the "Anakin becomes Vader" part over to one side in my brain every time he does something "un-Vaderlike", and it's like they're two completely different people. None of Anakin's many shortcomings as a literary character affect the concentrated mass of badass menace that is the Dark Lord of the Sith. Hopefully RO does nothing to change that...
Old 2016-08-13, 07:38   Link #62
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
As for me, I have the benefit of having grown up with the Original Trilogy. I have enough of a "Vader baseline" in my head that can partition the "Anakin becomes Vader" part over to one side in my brain every time he does something "un-Vaderlike", and it's like they're two completely different people. None of Anakin's many shortcomings as a literary character affect the concentrated mass of badass menace that is the Dark Lord of the Sith.
The Vader seen in the original trilogy is decades removed from even the Vader seen in Episode III, let alone the Anakin before that. It wouldn't make any sense for Anakin to always do something "Vader-like." That would just make the character of Anakin pointless.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-13, 17:04   Link #63
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
The Vader seen in the original trilogy is decades removed from even the Vader seen in Episode III, let alone the Anakin before that. It wouldn't make any sense for Anakin to always do something "Vader-like." That would just make the character of Anakin pointless.
Perhaps I misphrased it. Not so much "un-Vaderlike", but "something that diminishes Vader as a character, even separated by time and life-changing events". Prequel Anakin is full of those moments. TCW Anakin, not so much, thankfully.
Old 2016-08-13, 20:52   Link #64
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semblance_of_Power View Post
With episode 7 playing it so incredibly safe to the point of bordering on being an episode 4 remake, it doesn't inspire much confidence in me that Vader seems to be one of the main draws of this movie.

I get the feeling it's going to be chock fill of easter eggs and references to the original trilogy just to try and exploit the nostalgia, instead of trying to tell an entirely new story and expanding the main universe.
I think Episode VII was strictly a way to cleanse peoples' palettes after the prequels. Starting with Episode VIII, they'll actually try to do something new and advance the story.

At least, I hope so...

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-14, 01:54   Link #65
AntonKutovoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I think Episode VII was strictly a way to cleanse peoples' palettes after the prequels. Starting with Episode VIII, they'll actually try to do something new and advance the story.

At least, I hope so...
I actually thought that Episode VII was much worse than the prequels, so now they need to do something to clean from it.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-14, 01:54   Link #66
Chosen_Hero

Kylo Ren reacts to the new trailer:

Old 2016-08-14, 03:14   Link #67
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
While I'm solidly in the camp of "screw George Lucas, the prequels were a convoluted mess that often broke the most basic rules of film making", we still have to remember that episode 1 was a commercial success and even more incredible, episode 2 and 3 were the same.

Given that fact, I strongly believe they could have made episode VII the 2 hour tale of an obese jedi dealing with a bad case of explosive diarrhea and the movie would have still been a financial success, so they may have as well tried to make some more groundbreaking and original than what we got.

But then again it wasn't my billions of dollars on the line and companies do not like risks.

Let's just hope episode VIII won't be the epic tale about taking down the Death Solar System, setting up the final confrontation in episode IX in which they destroy the Death Galaxy until a new trilogy comes out in which they must recover the stolen blueprints which show the completely unnecessary structural weakness of the Death Universe.
ROW, ROW! Fight the power!
Old 2016-08-14, 20:21   Link #68
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
I actually thought that Episode VII was much worse than the prequels, so now they need to do something to clean from it.
Well, I won't go as far as to say VII was worse than all the prequels, but I do think it was bad.

But, you and I are in the very, very small minority. The vast and overwhelming majority of people loved the film. There's a sizeable group that even thinks it's the best of the seven mainline films (I still am shocked there are people who think that, and so many).

With Episode VII, though, Disney is like that team that is going to play it safe right before the half, comfortable with the score. They run a conservative play that's easy to defend, but difficult to for things to go wrong (that's the tried-and-true, loved story of Episode IV). But, it actually goes for a massive gain. They hit it big but not even doing anything well. They changed some minor details, threw in some slightly different backgrounds/settings, and voila, there's a blockbuster film.

As Semblance said above, they would've hit it big whether they turned out a horrifically bad film or a good film simply because of how the prequels have been bashed and the fact that it says "Star Wars" at the beginning. There was no way Episode VII wouldn't do well. But what they needed was not just for Episode VII to do well, but to setup a string of massively successful sequel movies, anthology movies, and alllllll of the ancillary stuff. They shelled out billions for this IP, and they need to get their money's worth. Disney is a business, plain and simple. They don't care what is done as long as it sells and it continues to sell.

Lucas made horrible decisions, but at least his first three movies, and really his first three major decisions in managing the Star Wars IP, were stunningly good. He had a mixed bag after Return, but the original trilogy is as close to perfect as you can get in movies. He was an artist, and he did a good job at that time. It was only later that people realized that, strangely, it's possible that technology not having yet advanced forced him to make better decisions because he couldn't act on the crazy ideas he had.

Then there's Disney, which is nothing more than a money machine. They will make whatever decision gets them the most money. Now, I'm not an anti-business guy. Hell, I am in business. A large part of me says, "Hell yeah, get 'er done, Disney! Make it rain!" But the Star Wars fan in me says, "Good Lord. This is a disaster."

That's why I am trying to remain as neutral as possible about Rogue One.
Quote:
While I'm solidly in the camp of "screw George Lucas, the prequels were a convoluted mess that often broke the most basic rules of film making", we still have to remember that episode 1 was a commercial success and even more incredible, episode 2 and 3 were the same.

Let's just hope episode VIII won't be the epic tale about taking down the Death Solar System, setting up the final confrontation in episode IX in which they destroy the Death Galaxy until a new trilogy comes out in which they must recover the stolen blueprints which show the completely unnecessary structural weakness of the Death Universe.
You're absolutely right about the prequels. And to be fair, counter to my argument above, the prequels did nothing to halt Star Wars fervor. The prequels launched a decade of some of the best Expanded Universe material around (e.g. Knights of the Old Republic comics and video games). And Disney hopes to do the same with the new trilogy. But they know that a set of movies that's loved will do better than a set of movies that is very, very divisive like the prequels were.

I doubt we have to worry about Episodes VIII and IX being like that. Like I said, I firmly believe Episode VII was a way to cleanse the palettes of older fans (well, anyone old enough to have seen all the prequels in theaters). All the marketing was so painfully obviously meant to show how much "different" Episode VII would be from the prequels (even though, in the end, there was probably more in common than not... that "practical effects" line that was repeated ad nauseum was crap... there was more CG in Episode VII than any prequels, and the "practical effects" were no more common than they were in the PT). From what I understand, they're approaching VIII much differently.

Old 2016-08-15, 21:34   Link #69
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Donnie yen?! Hell to freaking yeah!

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-16, 02:03   Link #70
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
...that "practical effects" line that was repeated ad nauseum was crap... there was more CG in Episode VII than any prequels, and the "practical effects" were no more common than they were in the PT).
I'm going to have to call you on this one. While TFA didn't use use practical effects for everything like had to be done in the OT, even a casual observer could tell you they were easily more prevalent than in the PT. You only had green screen or copious CG when it was practical (the "stage" for Han's last scene) or when there was an obvious advantage (the various ship FX, touch ups, etc.). You didn't have sets that were chopped off at 6 feet "so we can CG in the rest of them", people acting opposite air because "I know you were looking forward to meeting her, but Miss Portman couldn't make it today, Mr Stamp, and we can always just film her parts later and composite you together in post", or pointless CG aliens or creatures walking past in the background constantly. Abrams used CG, but he didn't overuse it like Lucas did in the PT.
Old 2016-08-16, 02:14   Link #71
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'm pretty sure almost the entirety of the PT were filmed in front a green screen...
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-16, 05:53   Link #72
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I'm pretty sure almost the entirety of the PT were filmed in front a green screen...
Episode 1 actually had some notable practical props and sets ("Gungans vs Droids"-scene and space-battles notwithstanding). Lucas' addiction to everything digital only came full force (no pun intended) in Episode 2 & 3 .
Old 2016-08-16, 10:49   Link #73
Yoxall
Finest Crusade

International trailer is out.

Old 2016-08-16, 12:03   Link #74
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

A few little pieces more of information.
Old 2016-08-27, 21:29   Link #75
AnimeFan188

More Star Wars info & speculation:

Snoke’s Identity and More: What We Learned
From ‘Star Wars: Life Debt’:

"The newest novel continues to dig into what remains of the Empire
following the Battle of Endor, the state of the fledgling New Republic, and
the lives of key characters in the Star Wars universe. More than that, it
lends some much-needed background to a whole host of mysteries in
The Force Awakens, while teasing at what’s to come in Episode VIII. So
what exactly did Life Debt teach us? Here’s what we were able to find."

See:

http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainm...=YF&yptr=yahoo
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-13, 07:17   Link #76
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Trailer Number Two for Rogue One.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2016-10-13, 08:13   Link #77
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Nice. We even see Darth Vader.
Old 2016-10-13, 09:20   Link #78
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

On my birthday of all days.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-13, 19:23   Link #79
JagdPanther

I'm starting to like Krennic. And I know it's a trailer, so some of it is editing, but my God is the dialog still so bad.

Old 2016-10-13, 23:16   Link #80
sayde

I have so much difficulty getting into spin offs like this. I may not understand exactly when this takes place in the timeline, but since I already know what ultimately becomes of the death star and Darth Vadar and how it all happens, I'm left wondering, what's going to occur in this side story that's going to be of any particular interest to me. And right now, even with the release of this 2nd trailer, I'm just not seeing it.

I want to look forward to this. I really do. And I keep thinking I must be missing something obvious that's preventing me from wanting to know more about this new protagonist and what's going on.

On another note, I almost had to do a double take when I heard Donnie Yen speak some lines in English. I don't hear that too often.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, disney, star wars