AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-10-30, 10:00   Link #341
madmanthan21
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Actually, that is a wrong notion, first of all heron's steam engine was constructed way before the church came to power, and for quite a long time, it was the church actually encouraging scientific innovation.
madmanthan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-30, 13:23   Link #342
Prongs
Grand Duke of Lolitania
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Herons steam engine was in my opinion constructed for educational purposes. But in our time it could have been a big breakthrough if it werent not for Christianity and the church who always looked at pagan science with a lot of disgust. If it wasn't for Church industrial revolution could have been started much earlier.

I mean ancient Greece even had the ideas of atom. And a lot of that knowledge was forgotten or erased thanks to Church and only introduced much later thanks to islam or lucky circumstances.

I guess thats one thing that this story gets right - Church is the source of evil and is anti-progressive. I have seen people complaining how come that organized religion is almost always the bad guy in all the plots but thats something you learn by looking at our history. Organized religions always gave us more wars than peace, more dead than lives saved.
What Roland need is working steam engine not educational ones.

Plus Anna could mold, shaping, cutting metal into precission. When we talk about machining we talk about precission. I was work at one of machining workshop as IT. Thus i know that Anna power is the most essential ones.

The fact that writer choose Anna for first drive force show us that he has some understanding about machining. And know technical difficulties to recreate efficient industrial technology without op fire witch like Anna. That could mold or forging metal as precise as she could. Thus the machine meet with roland industrial standard. Your statement was totally wrong, you talk from your point of view while the writer talk from engineer point of view..

And don't forget that apparatus that chief alchemy use to refine nitrit was created by Anna..
__________________
I am Immortal I Have the Sacred Blood of Youma
I was No Rival, No Claymore can be my Equal
Prongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-30, 18:52   Link #343
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanthan21 View Post
Actually, that is a wrong notion, first of all heron's steam engine was constructed way before the church came to power, and for quite a long time, it was the church actually encouraging scientific innovation.
Christian Church only advocated such scientific innovations that did not clash with their agenda. So for example Church was very eager to save Plato's works but pretty much brought ruin to Aristotle's (only thanks to Islam that Aristotle was reintroduced to western people much later).

Btw was Coptic pope destroying the daughter library of Alexandria an act of encouraging scientific innovation? If so then I believe you and I have very different views on what encouraging scientific innovation means.

Granted there was also times when church helped with innovation but considering how many pagan books were burned or destroyed thanks to religious lunatics I believe that all and all when you sum it up religion still stands as an obstacle to innovation rather than its friend.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-30, 21:55   Link #344
Prongs
Grand Duke of Lolitania
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Christian Church only advocated such scientific innovations that did not clash with their agenda. So for example Church was very eager to save Plato's works but pretty much brought ruin to Aristotle's (only thanks to Islam that Aristotle was reintroduced to western people much later).

Btw was Coptic pope destroying the daughter library of Alexandria an act of encouraging scientific innovation? If so then I believe you and I have very different views on what encouraging scientific innovation means.

Granted there was also times when church helped with innovation but considering how many pagan books were burned or destroyed thanks to religious lunatics I believe that all and all when you sum it up religion still stands as an obstacle to innovation rather than its friend.

That's why Anna power is indispesable. To Battle op Inquisitor Roland need a driving force fast enough to cope church.

The power to control fire is biggest advantage when it comes to Industrial revolution. Thus your statement that say Anna power isn't essential is Wrong.
__________________
I am Immortal I Have the Sacred Blood of Youma
I was No Rival, No Claymore can be my Equal
Prongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 07:25   Link #345
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongs View Post
That's why Anna power is indispesable. To Battle op Inquisitor Roland need a driving force fast enough to cope church.

The power to control fire is biggest advantage when it comes to Industrial revolution. Thus your statement that say Anna power isn't essential is Wrong.
Ok, you convinced me mate. Still, I would argue that Lily's power, in its destructive nature, is the most overwhelming out of all witches that Roland has, including Anna or evolved Leaf
Spoiler for Leaf power up:


She is a walking weapon of mass destruction. Why no one has addressed that? I mean she could cause a new form of bubonic plague or other form of epidemic.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 07:45   Link #346
Prongs
Grand Duke of Lolitania
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Ok, you convinced me mate. Still, I would argue that Lily's power, in its destructive nature, is the most overwhelming out of all witches that Roland has, including Anna or evolved Leaf
Spoiler for Leaf power up:


She is a walking weapon of mass destruction. Why no one has addressed that? I mean she could cause a new form of bubonic plague or other form of epidemic.
Mana.... And the biggest mana holder is Anna... Lily is lack in that area..
__________________
I am Immortal I Have the Sacred Blood of Youma
I was No Rival, No Claymore can be my Equal
Prongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 08:19   Link #347
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongs View Post
Mana.... And the biggest mana holder is Anna... Lily is lack in that area..
No. Its not about mana. What they need is to make a few samples of say beubonic plague bacteria, place it in water and after that voila - 40-60 percent of population is dead. And that's from the most simple form. If they tinker with that they could easily create something with 90 percent mortality rate.

Its not like Lily has to create some wall of bacteria she just needs to creates a few small samples and then pollute water source or infect and release a few fleas or rats... After that bacteria will do the work for her. And you would have majority of population dead without even need to lift a finger.

The best thing about it is that Lily can cure your own if the epidemic hits your own people so you wouldn't have to risk too much.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2016-10-31 at 08:34.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 09:51   Link #348
obnuchious
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
whether it is control or not, virus is very unpredictable .. not to mention they do not have a very fullproof decontamination suits and whatnot . . .
__________________
Something I did to pass the time: https://www.fictionpress.com/u/997198/
========
Oxygen was first discovered in 1783. How could people breathe back then?
obnuchious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 10:51   Link #349
Prongs
Grand Duke of Lolitania
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
No. Its not about mana. What they need is to make a few samples of say beubonic plague bacteria, place it in water and after that voila - 40-60 percent of population is dead. And that's from the most simple form. If they tinker with that they could easily create something with 90 percent mortality rate.

Its not like Lily has to create some wall of bacteria she just needs to creates a few small samples and then pollute water source or infect and release a few fleas or rats... After that bacteria will do the work for her. And you would have majority of population dead without even need to lift a finger.

The best thing about it is that Lily can cure your own if the epidemic hits your own people so you wouldn't have to risk too much.
again this time you're wrong again

1. Roland need LOT LOT of manpower Doing that only detrimental to his plan.. why do he need to poison Innocent people while he work hard to gain sympathy to masses.

2. Doing that only build a hatred to witches.. and foil Roland plan to rid witch stereotype

3. even if Roland doing that Lily and witch alliance would never agree... oh did I say Anna will stop him?

4. Any harm that he pointed to Innocent masses is basically pointless it's contradict with his effort now...
__________________
I am Immortal I Have the Sacred Blood of Youma
I was No Rival, No Claymore can be my Equal
Prongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 11:23   Link #350
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by obnuchious View Post
whether it is control or not, virus is very unpredictable .. not to mention they do not have a very fullproof decontamination suits and whatnot . . .
It is predictable in a sense that Lilly is around. Of course viruses can always mutate but as long as they don't kill instantly Lilly can find a cure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongs View Post
again this time you're wrong again

1. Roland need LOT LOT of manpower Doing that only detrimental to his plan.. why do he need to poison Innocent people while he work hard to gain sympathy to masses.

2. Doing that only build a hatred to witches.. and foil Roland plan to rid witch stereotype

3. even if Roland doing that Lily and witch alliance would never agree... oh did I say Anna will stop him?

4. Any harm that he pointed to Innocent masses is basically pointless it's contradict with his effort now...
So? Neither of those arguments relate on what destructive power Roland has in Lilly. I never said that Roland would ever do that. He is not his older brother after all.

I am just puzzled in how no one addresses what might Lilly actually possess. I have seen in here people argue about nuclear bomb like it could be some major thing when Roland in his hands has something way much more powerful than nuclear bomb will ever be (in terms of killing people).

Roland just has to keep Lilly happy and hope that she never becomes a psycho otherwise it would be the end of that world.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 11:41   Link #351
Prongs
Grand Duke of Lolitania
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
It is predictable in a sense that Lilly is around. Of course viruses can always mutate but as long as they don't kill instantly Lilly can find a cure.



So? Neither of those arguments relate on what destructive power Roland has in Lilly. I never said that Roland would ever do that. He is not his older brother after all.

I am just puzzled in how no one addresses what might Lilly actually possess. I have seen in here people argue about nuclear bomb like it could be some major thing when Roland in his hands has something way much more powerful than nuclear bomb will ever be (in terms of killing people).

Roland just has to keep Lilly happy and hope that she never becomes a psycho otherwise it would be the end of that world.
the way you presented the argument it suggest Roland should spread biological weapon to the enemy population. OFC Roland know how to use Lily Ability.. but as far as I read her ability was so limited.. that Inefficient to use as Biological weapon

Quote:
Further copies of reproduction can not be split in the form of a continuation of life, when the number of assimilation is exhausted, the last copy body can only survive a day or so. Boiling water can kill most of the copies of a new life, they and other microorganisms, and there is not much difference.
see that's why lily is more inferior than Anna in term of killing power..
__________________
I am Immortal I Have the Sacred Blood of Youma
I was No Rival, No Claymore can be my Equal
Prongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 11:46   Link #352
Sizaki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Sweden, Gotland, Visby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
It is predictable in a sense that Lilly is around. Of course viruses can always mutate but as long as they don't kill instantly Lilly can find a cure.



So? Neither of those arguments relate on what destructive power Roland has in Lilly. I never said that Roland would ever do that. He is not his older brother after all.

I am just puzzled in how no one addresses what might Lilly actually possess. I have seen in here people argue about nuclear bomb like it could be some major thing when Roland in his hands has something way much more powerful than nuclear bomb will ever be (in terms of killing people).

Roland just has to keep Lilly happy and hope that she never becomes a psycho otherwise it would be the end of that world.
Who gives a crap about which witch can kill the most people? What we see in Anna is her usefulness in Roland's plans to make his territory and people grow.
Killing people randomly with disease won't accomplish anything.
Sizaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 13:20   Link #353
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizaki View Post
Who gives a crap about which witch can kill the most people? What we see in Anna is her usefulness in Roland's plans to make his territory and people grow.
Killing people randomly with disease won't accomplish anything.
Well if you kill everyone you can become a sole undisputed king - logic of Cersei Lannister Lol.

Joking aside - it was just something fun. While Lilly's power has its limitations (boiling water, one day lifespan) it all can be bypassed by creating constantly mutating virus besides in that world boiling water isn't always accessible considering how poor hygiene is. In our world with medicine and high hygiene levels such power wouldn't be that destructive but there it is.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 16:20   Link #354
Prongs
Grand Duke of Lolitania
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Well if you kill everyone you can become a sole undisputed king - logic of Cersei Lannister Lol.

Joking aside - it was just something fun. While Lilly's power has its limitations (boiling water, one day lifespan) it all can be bypassed by creating constantly mutating virus besides in that world boiling water isn't always accessible considering how poor hygiene is. In our world with medicine and high hygiene levels such power wouldn't be that destructive but there it is.
Because she can't.. before Roland could developed more precision microscope better yet electron microscope her abilities wouldn't evolve yet.

The ability to weaponized microbes comes from understanding the microbes itself. At this Lily doesn't fully understand what is microbes yet.

The church has ones witches that probably can weaponized Microbes
__________________
I am Immortal I Have the Sacred Blood of Youma
I was No Rival, No Claymore can be my Equal
Prongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 16:29   Link #355
obnuchious
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
would be interesting if Anna can use Ice powers too... if she can understand that fire/heat is the product of vibrating molecules, then if she control the molecules vibration then anything and everything will turn cold . . .

or better yet, make her power similar to that convection guy from Needless...
__________________
Something I did to pass the time: https://www.fictionpress.com/u/997198/
========
Oxygen was first discovered in 1783. How could people breathe back then?
obnuchious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-01, 15:44   Link #356
cabman11
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Actually I was wondering. Has he told any of the girls the Earth is round yet?
__________________
"The goal of all life is death" - ainz ooal gown
cabman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-01, 16:10   Link #357
madmanthan21
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
It's not hard to figure out, we have known the earth is round since like 2000 years ago.
madmanthan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-01, 16:33   Link #358
ChuckE
Provoker
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dreamland
But are you sure that this earth is round? It might as well turtle all the way down to some ancient entity...
__________________
Dominus factotum
ChuckE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-02, 05:18   Link #359
obnuchious
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
well, there hasn't been that much information about the lands over the horizon ... and if we follow the map provided, the humans are really occupying a very small piece of land
__________________
Something I did to pass the time: https://www.fictionpress.com/u/997198/
========
Oxygen was first discovered in 1783. How could people breathe back then?
obnuchious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-02, 10:46   Link #360
cabman11
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Spoiler for latest chapters
Spoiler:
__________________
"The goal of all life is death" - ainz ooal gown
cabman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, fantasy, romance, slice of life, supernatural

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.