AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-14, 04:39   Link #1
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Crime and Punishment (Ochiai Naoyuki)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lau

What's it about?
Miroku Tachi was a promising student until he dropped out of college. Now, after months spent Not in Employment, Education or Training, he has hatched a plan to help his sister, himself, and the whole world around him ... by murdering someone.

The title sounds familiar.
It's an adaptation of Dostoyevsky's CRIME AND PUNISHMENT, but set in modern day Japan.

Who's it by?
Naoyuki Ochiai. Little is known about him, and this would seem to be his breakout hit.

Who would like this?
Anyone who might be interested in a dark, NSFW urban thriller.

Here's what Ed Chavez of Vertical Publishing and MangaCast wrote about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Chavez
Crime and Punishment has quickly earned the respect of this writer as I believe it is the best manga series going currently.

This is not what you'd find in a Borders; this is a manga reader's manga. Ochiai's art, while stylized, is in the vein of Urasawa where his settings are hyper detailed and his character designs have heavy influences from realism. He also uses tone and shadowing on his characters to set a mindset for them that readers can decipher quickly. There is no moe. While there is some mild-nudity it is used exclusively to progress the plot, so there is no fan service to be found. Ochiai does his best to make this a drama that is faithful to Dostoevsky's original while taking advantages of the pacing and layout tools that make manga a great medium for storytelling.
Do I have to read the novel first?
No.

This story takes a lot of liberties, but is also pretty faithful in places, so if you want to discuss the novel here I think a lot of people would appreciate spoiler tags.

If this is set in Japan, who are the Russian moneylenders and pawnbrokers in this story?

Where can I read this?
The series has been has now been licensed! Check your local online book shop for releases.

A very interesting read. Simply put, it is in the same vein as stories like Batman or Akumetsu, minus all the 'superhero' aspects, however, it's more to it than that. It's about a normal, albeit depressed man, trying to correct what he feels is evil from this world, but it has nothing to do with beating up dozens of yakuza henchman or corporate politicians. He IS just a regular guy after all. To say exactly what he is trying to do is a spoiler, and I think it would be better to read the story to find out than for me to tell you, but it is one where the morality of what's right and wrong comes into question. It might be obvious what it is, but the writing is what truly makes this interesting.

Spoiler for chap 16~18:

Last edited by frubam; 2011-08-23 at 06:58. Reason: Summary replaced by the summary of the translator
Old 2010-12-17, 20:55   Link #2
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Spoiler for chp 19:
Old 2011-01-30, 04:52   Link #3
Daniel Lau

Crime and Punishment: A Falsified Romance

Hi, a couple of friends and I are scanlating this.

I'll post new releases here when I get around to it, or you can subscribe on Mangaupdates.

Last edited by Daniel Lau; 2011-01-30 at 07:13. Reason: wrote it as OP to new thread, changed to post by admin, no longer makes sense
Old 2011-02-06, 07:21   Link #4
Daniel Lau

Chapter 23 is on!
LICENSED!

Last edited by Daniel Lau; 2011-08-23 at 04:43.
Old 2011-02-14, 06:05   Link #5
Daniel Lau

Chapter 24, and nearing the end of the third volume:
LICENSED!

We're all still pretty new at this, so I'd like your honest opinion - how are we doing so far on the scanlation of this project? You can talk about any issue, translation, editing, update frequency, etcetera. Any suggestions?

Old 2011-02-14, 08:15   Link #6
youknowme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lau View Post

Chapter 24, and nearing the end of the third volume:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?l4a4kucs6z0l0n2

We're all still pretty new at this, so I'd like your honest opinion - how are we doing so far on the scanlation of this project? You can talk about any issue, translation, editing, update frequency, etcetera. Any suggestions?
I think it is going pretty well, as I dont see really anything glaringly wrong/different about the project. It is a very interesting manga and hope you continue!
Old 2011-02-15, 03:11   Link #7
Daniel Lau

Thanks, youknowme! We're definitely going right to the end.
Old 2011-02-15, 05:11   Link #8
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I'm intentionally holding back. It's way too damn gripping to follow week by week without going mad waiting, and I know there's a lot more released in Japan already.

And, well, I still have to finish the original Crime and Punishment. Damn Russian novels.

However, since the scanlator seems to want our opinions, I checked out a few earlier chapters. Now I don't have access to the original raws to compare (nor, actually, do I have the necessary language skills to gauge the accuracy), but as a reader of scanlations I don't have anything to complain. The translation/editing's smooth, the page is well cleaned, typesetting's acceptable. Keep up the good work.
Old 2011-02-16, 04:17   Link #9
Daniel Lau

Thanks Irenicus.

The end of volume 3 (fast approaching) is a good stopping point before the manga jumps onto a new storyline, so I'd say you're safe to read all the way until then.
Old 2011-02-20, 04:32   Link #10
Daniel Lau

Chapter 25
LICENSED!

Here's a question for you guys. So far we’ve seen “compensated dating”, internet message boards and of course modern evidence gathering techniques. This is certainly a story that’s been modernised. My question is especially for people who haven’t read the novel – does this story show any signs of having been “transported” from another time and setting? Anything that doesn't seem to fit?

Old 2011-02-20, 19:15   Link #11
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
dunno, crime and punishment seemed like a story about an indescicive character doing something stupid and then regretting it for the rest of the novel. the only thing missing is the harem. jap setting won't make it better.
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
Old 2011-02-21, 10:35   Link #12
Dorsai

Hmm Dostoyevsky "Crime and Punishment" is one of my favourite books in my high school days... But I dont think it will as good as original...
Old 2011-02-28, 09:00   Link #13
Daniel Lau

Chapter 26:
LICENSED!

Discussion: how have the police and yakuza come across in this series? Pretty well, OK, or bumbling stereotypes?

Last edited by Daniel Lau; 2011-08-23 at 04:42. Reason: typo
Old 2011-03-05, 21:04   Link #14
Daniel Lau

Chapter 27, and the end of the volume.
LICENSED!

This flashback shows that Miroku:
A) has some kind of personality disorder
B) is just a dick.

Last edited by Daniel Lau; 2011-08-23 at 04:42.
Old 2011-06-18, 02:44   Link #15
Daniel Lau

Four volumes have been released now!
Old 2011-06-18, 03:03   Link #16
Aristophanes
I have returned

Send a message via MSN to Aristophanes
Interesting. I've enjoyed other manga adaptations of classic literature. May have to check this out.
Old 2011-08-23, 04:44   Link #17
Daniel Lau

This series has been licensed! I've removed all links to chapters. If anyone who quoted my links could do the same, I'd appreciate it.

Hope you enjoyed our efforts, and please support the original release.
Closed Thread