AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

Old 2012-01-24, 12:43   Link #561
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

"I don't exist" can just as easily refer to social status as physical. I've heard that exact expression used about pariah kids many times.

Also - not endorsing any specific theory, but if students and teachers can pretend a dead girl is really alive, I see no reason to assume they can't pretend a real girl doesn't exist.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 12:47   Link #562
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Spoiler for cover(s):
The one on the right is the cover of the second volume, I believe. I had only ever seen the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Way too long speculation:

Spoiler for Mystery Speculation:

A final thought: my gut on Mei is she's just an unpopular, creepy girl from an unpopular, creepy family, whom the class naturally chose as a scapegoat/sacrifice/whatever; they didn't like her anyways, she didn't like them anyways, so she was the natural choice. Her situation seems too much like a lame fake-out for her to any kind of ghost; I think she just enjoys trolling the protagonist a bit (behaving like that, it's not her fault she's not popular).
The aunt went to that school too, didn't she? There's nothing odd about her knowing about the curse. It's hard to say how infamous that urban legend is, but I'm sure all the people who attended middle school there heard of it at least once. The way Tracksuit-kun (I really need to learn the name of the characters in this show... I only know Mei and Kouichi) said it sucked he ended up in the cursed Class 3 gave me the impression he already knew about the legend beforehand. At this point I think Kouichi is the only at school who is clueless.

So, right now, I'm inclined to think the nurse is the anomaly. She might be an outsider who only moved here for work.

I share your view of Mei. She really seems to enjoy creeping Kouichi out. I don't think she has any ill intent though, she just learned to like scaring people off using her status as "the Ghost" as that is probably the only kind of entertainment she can have anyway, being shut out by everybody. I love her voice by the way - her tone is perfect. I could listen to her scary stories for hours.
Old 2012-01-24, 12:48   Link #563
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
"I don't exist" can just as easily refer to social status as physical. I've heard that exact expression used about pariah kids many times.

Also - not endorsing any specific theory, but if students and teachers can pretend a dead girl is really alive, I see no reason to assume they can't pretend a real girl doesn't exist.
Indeed. the whole thing could still be a red herring.

But damn that last scene...

Holy frik...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 13:03   Link #564
Robotech Master

I think the general idea, so far, is that they pretend she doesn't exist because bad things happen IF they acknowledge she exists. If anyone does. Everyone in the school, maybe in the whole town, is in on it. That's why they don't want him associating with her; by doing so, he's going to cause tragedies to befall people.

Whatever force controls those "bad things" is likely separate and has been there for 26 years at least, but I guess it is held at bay if there is someone who, I don't know how to put it...effectively takes the place of the original dead girl?
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 13:46   Link #565
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep3:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 13:48   Link #566
Qikz

I've just noticed something. How did the umbrella open when she dropped it? :S
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 13:53   Link #567
User165949
Disabled By Request

it would have been - how could I say that - maybe a good word would be "romantic" if Mei
Spoiler:

anyway, up until now, couldn't sense any intentional ill intent from the girl. on the contrary, she's telling the male lead to stay at a safe distance from her - and leading him on where he would be more confortable. again, she seems to possess a warm personality, just a little creepy
User165949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 13:54   Link #568
PringlesXD
Delicious Can of Chips

Send a message via MSN to PringlesXD
Wow, the episode was just amazing.
Everyone who wasn't enjoying the series certainly are now.
And the end... wow.
PringlesXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 15:05   Link #569
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep3:
Just one thing that could become important.
The shop’s name 夜見のたそがれの・うつろなる蒼き瞳の (Yomi no tasogare no – utsuro naru aoki hitomi no) was translated as “The Hollow Blue Eyes of Yomi at Twilight” in episode 2 of the anime (I'm not sure about how other subbers went with the translation) but the Japanese aoki is both blue and green.
I would translate it as (the title is like a poem and not that easy to translate) "From the Twilight of Yomi and the Hollow Green Eye".

In the novel when Mei removes her eyepatch among Kouichi’s first thought is “utsuro naru aoki hitomi” – “the hollow blue/green eye”.
Somehow this didn’t make it into the anime, probably because the difference isn’t there in such an instance and Japanese people immediatly make that connection.
When I read this part in the novel I thought of a blue eye as well, but maybe the Kanji they used is leaning more towards green than blue...who knows.

Anyways, just thought this is worthy to mention.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 16:28   Link #570
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
I think the general idea, so far, is that they pretend she doesn't exist because bad things happen IF they acknowledge she exists. If anyone does. Everyone in the school, maybe in the whole town, is in on it.
I have this idea too. But limited only to the school range.
Spoiler for theory:

On a side note in my country just last year or two there was a big fuss about the death of a girl who died being hit by an umbrella from another girl. They were arguing on something trivial and the second girl pierced other girl's head through an eye. Instant death. So .. be careful out there! Don't mock umbrellas anymore!

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 16:56   Link #571
Setsuryuu

The eyepatch was really a letdown... I wonder what that eye can see (she was vague about it).

And if the "I don't exist" is a red herring it would be silly. Too many people acting like she isn't there apart from Sakakibara and the girl who died. It's a way too big "she's a ghost killing people" vibe now.

Which brings the question; what about people thinking they saw Sakakibara before? Or something about his name bringing bad memories? They said it in the first episodes right? The whole series premise is also about "another" person living the life of someone who isn't suppose to be there anymore... But is the "another" really Misaki or Sakakibara or I'm remembering things wrong? XD
Setsuryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 18:06   Link #572
Dop
Mmmm....

Whoa. That was nasty and no mistake. Don't run downstairs with a pointy umbrella!

Still sticking with the scapegoat theory, when Misaki said she doesn't exist, she means she doesn't exist as far as everyone else is concerned, she's a non-person who everyone ignores and has nothing to do with.
I'm wondering if the curse of class 3 is that the class 26 years ago caused the death of the original Misaki?

And maybe, just maybe, I shouldn't have watched that just before going to bed....
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 18:10   Link #573
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Whoa. That was nasty and no mistake. Don't run downstairs with a pointy umbrella!

And maybe, just maybe, I shouldn't have watched that just before going to bed....
Don't run with pointy objects period

I did not sleep too well last night either
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 18:43   Link #574
PzIVf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
I've just noticed something. How did the umbrella open when she dropped it? :S
A cheap or old umbrella can be open when drop at the floor it may be the locking mechanism is finally loosen it. I dont understand why would they make such a long object at the top of the umbrella.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 19:34   Link #575
djmaca
My Girl ↓

This week they dropped Lovecraft(dat book, micro print?). For those who are familiar with the name, it's synonymous with "You have learned something you shouldn't".

Search the name and the works. This guy is King's inspiration.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 20:30   Link #576
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
Just one thing that could become important.
The shop’s name 夜見のたそがれの・うつろなる蒼き瞳の (Yomi no tasogare no – utsuro naru aoki hitomi no) was translated as “The Hollow Blue Eyes of Yomi at Twilight” in episode 2 of the anime (I'm not sure about how other subbers went with the translation) but the Japanese aoki is both blue and green.
I would translate it as (the title is like a poem and not that easy to translate) "From the Twilight of Yomi and the Hollow Green Eye".

In the novel when Mei removes her eyepatch among Kouichi’s first thought is “utsuro naru aoki hitomi” – “the hollow blue/green eye”.
Somehow this didn’t make it into the anime, probably because the difference isn’t there in such an instance and Japanese people immediatly make that connection.
When I read this part in the novel I thought of a blue eye as well, but maybe the Kanji they used is leaning more towards green than blue...who knows.

Anyways, just thought this is worthy to mention.
I also thought blue, and the manga cover does use blue...the novel is green though. So I think that's where it comes from.
Old 2012-01-24, 20:34   Link #577
Kirarakim

LOL that final scene definitely got me, what a horrible way to kick the bucket (although I think the amount of blood was a bit over the top personally).

Anyways I think I support the theory that Misaki is really there somehow. The girl did see her (otherwise why was she so scared). I don't know maybe Sakakibara acknowledging her forces the others to see her.

At the same time I don't understand why they don't just tell Sakakibara what's going on. Seems to do more harm than good.
Old 2012-01-24, 20:40   Link #578
Qikz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
LOL that final scene definitely got me, what a horrible way to kick the bucket (although I think the amount of blood was a bit over the top personally).

Anyways I think I support the theory that Misaki is really there somehow. The girl did see her (otherwise why was she so scared). I don't know maybe Sakakibara acknowledging her forces the others to see her.

At the same time I don't understand why they don't just tell Sakakibara what's going on. Seems to do more harm than good.
I guess we'll find out in a months time when the MC does.

I'm guessing it's some old legend to do with this apparent curse.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 21:03   Link #579
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Great episode god such a horrible way to go >.>
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 21:32   Link #580
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Just a bunch of observations, finally I had time to watch:

1. Sakuragi was the first person to acknowledge a Misaki when confronted by Rei, and probably paid the ultimate price in relation to it.

2. The month of May. It's heavily suggested that this month they're in is heavily tied to the incident 26 years ago and probably to the events going on in the series. There is something taboo about talking about the story during this month.

3. Mei's physical existence is still probably in question, but it seems that the other characters somehow are able to perceive her but actively deny her existence. There seems to be some sort of anger and animosity towards her. Whether this is related to 26 ago remains to be seen.

4. I'm forgetting the names of the childhood friends, the guy in the jersey and glasses guy, but looking at that exchange between them about high school and how they've known each other for so long, the look the guy gave to Azakawa when she wanted to go to Tokyo to study and the anger they seem to give to Mei's non-existence suggest they know things far more and intimate than they let slide, and that they've somehow been down this road before.

5. The abject fear on Sakuragi's face before getting speared by her own umbrella suggests she knows something terrible just happened, is about to happen, and likely related to Mei.

Putting all these together, I have one suspicion:

Groundhog Day loop.

I'll flesh out this idea some other time, but I suspect that this is something like Higurashi, with Mei and the incident 26 years ago being the focal point of the loop. Mei in fact may have a more direct and omnipresent hand in the events unfolding. Again I'll explain it when I have more time.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, seinen