AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2003-11-07, 23:41   Link #1
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Narutaru (Shadowstar) Manga

Well I decided to revive this thread. (its a slow burner)

I recently finished this series, having read all 12 volumes of Kitoh san's interesting work. Those of you who were around before the forum incident will know I didn't like the ending, but I still think this is a unique series nonetheless which touches on some important topics in society. Therefore fans of the series can post here with their thoughts and any requests you may have.

One day I hope to get around to building a website but untill then I'll post any relevant info here.

tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 01:27   Link #2
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

I've started reading the manga too (after watching the anime series) since I loved the anime so much, but I kindof don't read japanese yet (I just started taking japanese this year). It's slow going (looking up basically every kanji as I go), but I've gotten through a chapter and a half (25 & 26)!

Does anyone know if there are translations available for the later volumes (not scanlations, just translations)? I think this was asked before in the old thread...
At this rate, I'll maybe finish volume 6 in about a year....(I started on volume 5 since the english versions are almost up to that part).
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 02:46   Link #3
Koshiba

Send a message via AIM to Koshiba Send a message via MSN to Koshiba
I *really* want to check out the manga but sadly, I can't read japanese. Plus I heard the english version was "censored", I tend to stay away from anything censored. ^_^;
Koshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 11:40   Link #4
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Hey guys,

As far as I can tell there hasn't been any real censoring of the English Language manga version yet (possibly some slight alterations regarding conversational topics).
Dark Horse should be in the middle of translating Volume 5 at the moment and it is only in the infamous Vol 6 that will probably need to make some changes to a few frames (The events of EP 13 in the Anime).
These scenes in the original manga are pretty graphic (and therefore shocking) and I don't think that they could get away with publishing them in the US without some form of censorship. I believe the original author has also agreed to redraw the few affected frames, you can easily see the originals on the internet if you really want to....
I can't see any other points in the story that might be censored until Volume 10, and the translated release of that is a long way off.....

As for online translations of the later volumes, sorry I haven't managed to find any
Old 2003-11-09, 19:34   Link #5
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

I've noticed that the volumes of the english version don't correspond to the japanese volumes. Specifically:

English:
Volume 1: Prologue, Chapters 1-4
2: 5-10
3: 11-15
4: 16-20

But I know that japanese volume 5 (the first one I own) starts at chapter 24. So to those who own the japanese volumes, how do they correspond to the english versions?

Also, at this rate, the notorious "Volume 6" will be the notorious "Volume 7" in america. Also, since the japanese volume 6 was one BIG chapter (29), the english publishers are either going to have to split it over two volumes or make an extra short volume 6. Whoops! Bad planning on their part.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-09, 21:41   Link #6
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
I've noticed that the volumes of the english version don't correspond to the japanese volumes. Specifically:

English:
Volume 1: Prologue, Chapters 1-4
2: 5-10
3: 11-15
4: 16-20

But I know that japanese volume 5 (the first one I own) starts at chapter 24. So to those who own the japanese volumes, how do they correspond to the english versions?

Also, at this rate, the notorious "Volume 6" will be the notorious "Volume 7" in america. Also, since the japanese volume 6 was one BIG chapter (29), the english publishers are either going to have to split it over two volumes or make an extra short volume 6. Whoops! Bad planning on their part.
Hmm, I don't have the English Language versions, but here's a breakdown of the chapters in the Japanese versions:

Vol 1: Prologue and Chapters 1-5.

Vol 2: Chapters 6-13.

Vol 3: Chapters 14-20.

Vol 4: Chapters 21-23.

Vol 5: Chapters 24-28.

Vol 6: Chapter 29.

Vol 7: Chapters 30-38. (Anime series ends here with altered chapter 34, having skipped chapters 30-33)

Vol 8: Chapters 39-44.

Vol 9: Chapters 45-48.

Vol 10: Chapters 49 & 50.

Vol 11: Chapters 51-61.

Vol 12: (When its released) Chapters 62-68.

If I get really bored I'll try to translate the chapter titles and add them here .

I might also get around to adding a Volume synopsis and also possibly a spoilers section........

It depends if there is a demand for it........
Old 2003-11-11, 20:32   Link #7
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Well, Darkhorse is putting out, what, two books a year. So we should see the end of this series in about 6 years.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-14, 14:52   Link #8
Mazus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurumaru
I might also get around to adding a Volume synopsis and also possibly a spoilers section........

It depends if there is a demand for it........
I would love a volume synopsis. I am dying to know what happens after the anime ended.
Mazus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-17, 08:54   Link #9
Nagare Ryouma
Warrior Of Eternity

Off topic but, this manga called Wings of Vendemiaire.... Is it by the same author of NaruTaru? I heard it's as gruesome as NT...... The only difference is that it's got lot's of short stories. Anybody?
Nagare Ryouma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-17, 09:27   Link #10
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Yeah, Wings of Vendemiaire is from Mohiro Kitoh, the same artist who did Narutaru.
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 08:14   Link #11
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Ok, its not really double post since I just want to do some reviving.

This is mainly directed to tsurumaru.. ^^;
Spoiler:
Old 2003-11-30, 12:59   Link #12
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..

today i was up London in a comic shop and they had shadow star(narutaru), they only had about 2 volumes but i noticed that it was a bit priceyer than mangas usually cost over here (normally about £8, but this was about £12 or summin) is it like that elsewhere? *i plan on buying it sometime coz the anime was kool*
gravitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 20:52   Link #13
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_Squirrel
Ok, its not really double post since I just want to do some reviving.

This is mainly directed to tsurumaru.. ^^;
Spoiler:
Hey Flash, answers are below:

Spoiler:

Grav - Yeah for some reason Dark Horse's graphic novels are damn expensive! (Out of all of the American imports) However definitely recommend you get Volume one for the extra story parts they left out of the Anime.
Old 2003-11-30, 20:58   Link #14
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

But how did Hoshimaru managed to create such a powerful gun? Isnt the level of the guns related to the dragonchild's knowledge?
Old 2003-12-01, 09:16   Link #15
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_Squirrel
But how did Hoshimaru managed to create such a powerful gun? Isnt the level of the guns related to the dragonchild's knowledge?
Spoiler:
Old 2003-12-01, 14:34   Link #16
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
Hey I want to buy the Japanese version of the manga and was just wondering if there is a website that does translations(not scanlations). I don't know japanese so I would need to have it translated. Reason I want the japan version is because the american version will be censored. This series is too deep to be censored imo, so I want to read it in its entire glory.
Xiandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 19:04   Link #17
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiandu
Hey I want to buy the Japanese version of the manga and was just wondering if there is a website that does translations(not scanlations). I don't know japanese so I would need to have it translated. Reason I want the japan version is because the american version will be censored. This series is too deep to be censored imo, so I want to read it in its entire glory.
Hi Xiandu,

Sorry dont know of any online translations of such as of yet, I believe there were a few chapters scanslations until the series was licensed by Dark Horse but these run only into the first few chapters (and you'd be better off with the official Dark Horse version).
As for the "censoring" well the German version wasn't toned down all that much.... I'm not sure about the American version though, as some of the conversational topics that the series has, have already been subtly toned down. Hmm.....
Old 2003-12-04, 07:53   Link #18
Wolki
Cloud Age Symphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurumaru
As for the "censoring" well the German version wasn't toned down all that much.... I'm not sure about the American version though, as some of the conversational topics that the series has, have already been subtly toned down. Hmm.....
some of the controversial topics were toned down in the German version too, a certain dialogue in vol. 1 for instance... but not as much as I remember from the DH version, you can still figure out what it means o_O
I'd say wait until the Dark Horse version is released, I hope they won't change that much... the German version was slightly censored but that didn't affect the effect of vol 6 in any way, and I can live with that.

wolki
Wolki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-07, 15:16   Link #19
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Let's revive this thread, since it seems like there is a new interest concerning Narutaru.
Old 2004-02-08, 01:10   Link #20
TronDD
Team the box!

Well, in an effort to revive the thread...

I have read up to Vol 3 of the English Manga. I'll pick up 4 and 5 once 5 is released in a couple of days. So far, I don't notice any censoring of anything. I am curious what was toned down in Vol 1 of the German version. Does anyone know of any changes so far to the American release?

I also bought the Japanese versions, though I haven't recieved them yet, so I'll at least have all the correct artwork. Maybe I'll learn Japanese and translate it too.

Oh, and I loved Wings of Vendemiaire. I can't even describe what it's like. It's very eerie and strange. I have high hopes for Bokurano. The first volume seems very lighthearted, similar to most people's impressions of Narutaru's first episode.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote