4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.63%
3 out of 10 : Bad 5 1.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.31%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.63%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-10-06, 05:32   Link #21
Cehack

Hey folks.

Just registered here out of excitement for the new series. It's hard to believe that it's already been two years since a Gundam series was on the air, and like seven since there was one I liked. = \ Anyway, this one looks interesting so I hope it ends up being good.

But I was wondering...I see people posting pictures and talking about an OP. Is there a raw floating around yet, or a place to view the OP?

Thanks!
Cehack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 05:41   Link #22
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Hmm...

Overall, it's a solid episode. However, for most parts, it lacked emotion, which made it feel dull. The execution wasn't bad, but was a little stiff. In a sense, it tried to introduce everyone (( not really all )), the main plot of the story, the basic rundown of each Gundam's style, action, etc in a single episode, which made the more ~mm aspects of the execution feel cold.

However, the animation was solid, and I quite liked how Enact was animated. Rather than atypical anime-robot movement, it felt sway-ish, and had that weird feel to it.

And I hereby label episode 1 the Graham episode. (( the most enjoyable character thus far ))

Oh, and the other ~emotional character... I've got to say this..

ORENJI~~~~

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 06:11   Link #23
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

All these pictures are driving me crazy. I need the opening video. I need the whole episode!!!
Old 2007-10-06, 06:13   Link #24
5paragon

Opening:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=r-02UKnuy2o

Ending:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZiWM03X4Fvs
5paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 06:28   Link #25
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5paragon View Post
You, sir, are a life saver

I like the opening a lot, and it's filled with quite a lot of spoilers. And it seems Setsuna actually will end up with Marina. But there's no spoilers for other couples. Interestingly, AEU is not shown much (or at all) in the opening video. And Human Reform Army's flag looks like cheese

I need time to enjoy the ending. I only like the chorus part
Old 2007-10-06, 06:35   Link #26
silvanas
Black Getter

Episode is pretty awesome, I can't quite decide who our char is yet though.
silvanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 06:39   Link #27
kari-no-sugata

Was pretty happy with this ep, though first eps of recent series have generally been good, so still too early to say.

It was interesting seeing Setsuna's background - feels a bit like Sagara Sousuke in some ways. Fighting in the Middle East with religious propaganda blaring out from mobile suits. He comments "God couldn't possibly exist in a world like this" and then we get the sparkly Gundam turning up - as if it had become Setsuna's god

The action was good and I liked the varied design of the mobile suits. The background music fitted well I thought but the OP didn't fit very well I thought. The ED was nicely done though I thought - animation worked well with the music. I also liked the feeling that even though Setsuna was in a Gundam he couldn't just take it easy when attacked by enough grunts / cannon fodder.

I thought they did a reasonable job of setting up the world etc. However, the focus was a bit scattered. I wonder how the action will be split going forwards. I kinda get the feeling that the 4 Gundams are going to rather wander around in two pairs...

So anyway, so far so good. Solid. Not "awesome" but if the whole series had the same quality, I'd be pretty happy.
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 06:42   Link #28
SuperiorX

im tempted by the SPOILERS but im dling the raw now cant w8 for a sub......

thou looks like its gona be preaty darn good one.
SuperiorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 06:45   Link #29
silvanas
Black Getter

The RX-78 appeard and decimated a bunch of random apparantly religious propaganda spouting grunts. That's awesome enough too make a solid episode awesome.
silvanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 07:05   Link #30
LynnieS

Rated the episode as a 7 as well. It did a decent job, I thought, setting the stage, but there wasn't anything solid so far to either tempt or draw me into the series. Hopefully, it won't be another "tape-and-forget" series... I have say that I like the designs of the AEU and Union mobile suits more than the Gundams', though. The Union pilots' helmet design is a bit freaky, however, IMHO. Very "The Man in the Iron Mask", I thought; that thing has to be pretty heavy.

The start of the OP, I didn't much like - although it might grow on me - but the beat of the middle suits the mood better, IMHO. The ED... Eh... Well, I was grateful to see the "Gunpla" commercial that aired afterwards - if that means anything.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 07:12   Link #31
Pride
Ore, Sanjou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5paragon View Post
Somehow the scene with Setsuna lying on Exia reminds me of Garrod Ran.
Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 07:13   Link #32
Omniscient

Episode 01 Screencaps and Summary

Spoiler:
Omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 07:22   Link #33
kari-no-sugata

Just re-watched first ep with the HD RAW. Very nice. Looked much better.
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 07:37   Link #34
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
Just re-watched first ep with the HD RAW. Very nice. Looked much better.
Watching HD Raw on 50" screen = win.

Anyway, compared to most other Gundam first eps, this one is noticeably slower and contains way more exposition than needed IMO. But in terms of action scenes, Mizushima's use of camera work really pulls through. The action being slower than Seed's and the mecha showing more "mecha like movement" is also a welcome addition. Hopefully they stay as high quality as this consistently (though judging from the fact that this is a first ep, its not very likely).

Other than that, nothing much to say. The RX-78 is great though (and obviously designed by Kunio Okawara, so hopefully that's his contribution and only reason for being credited). And nice OP and ED too.

One thing though... What's with the Celestial Being being (ah-hem) led by Lenin?

Last edited by brightman; 2007-10-06 at 07:56.
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 07:52   Link #35
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I like how Sunrise have done a better job with Yun's designs, then compared to J.C. Staff with Loveless.
Old 2007-10-06, 08:00   Link #36
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

That episode was a lot better than what I had expected. Loved the OP music and animation.

I particularly liked how each Gundam "felt" unique in terms of their movements and abilities, the animation did a great job conveying that.

A previous poster mentioned that there was a lack of emotion in the episode's execution, which I agree. I'm just not sure if it was intentional, since they were trying to portray a well-executed plan by a powerful secret organization. The Gundammeisters seemed rather wooden and cold--but perhaps that will change over time as their characters get fleshed out.

All in all, it's a positive start Definitely will be watching next week.
Realist_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 08:10   Link #37
inkphoenix
++ The FABULOUS ++

Episode 1 is excellent.Because It makes me fun. Great OP-ED but...
Action is a little bit delay..so..I want to watch two or three next episode..
I want to check their actions.....
However, I watch it to end. SURE !!! Because I think Director mizushima want to say everybody "Gundam is a mecha.Movement is a little slow..."
But episode 1 is OK. I like it.
And ... I HATE BILLY(Graham's partner) ! His hair style is ugly !!!

Setsuna, Ryumin, Louise Kawaii !!!
inkphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 08:18   Link #38
7Th
Mixtape

Pretty decent first episode which only problem was the lack of any soul whatsoever... I dunno, they should have gone the Turn A route for the introduction.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 08:25   Link #39
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Okay, contemplating adding this to my list of stuff to d/l...

So, do y'all think it'll be worth it? I mean, if this is going to be another Gundam Wing, I'm going to skip it. But if it actually has some value to it, I'll bite.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 08:35   Link #40
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Okay, contemplating adding this to my list of stuff to d/l...

So, do y'all think it'll be worth it? I mean, if this is going to be another Gundam Wing, I'm going to skip it. But if it actually has some value to it, I'll bite.
Hard to tell. It's only the first episode, and there's no proper indication on how it'll go about.

The first episode is decent, but if you're wary, wait for another 2 or 3 episodes more looking at how the later episodes are received, and how Mizushima intends to set his pace for 00.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote