AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-02-08, 12:52   Link #421
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
On another note, I still stand by my theory that Madoka is going to become a magical girl without contracting with Kyubey.
Unless properly developed, which looks more and more unlikely as the series goes on, then it becomes an asspull. If there was a method for girls to become MG's without Kyube, then it would have happened by now.

You may not have watched Avatar: The Last Airbender (the series), but many people called Aang's action at the end to be an asspull. He wanted to defeat the Fire Lord without killing, and found his perfect method at the end that wasn't foreshadowed very well.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 13:53   Link #422
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Unless properly developed, which looks more and more unlikely as the series goes on, then it becomes an asspull. If there was a method for girls to become MG's without Kyube, then it would have happened by now.
First, I'm not talking about a method for any girl to become MG without Kyubey's contract. I'm talking specifically about Madoka. That's she's special can't be argued. We just don't know how.

And YES, I do know that if Madoka becomes MG without contracting, the possibility of that to happen should be foreshadowed way before it happens. I know!!!! And I expect anyone reading this to be able to know that too. That's way I didn't think I needed to say it.
Old 2011-02-08, 13:54   Link #423
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Speculation and wild theories aside, Homura has become a Mahou Shoujo without entering a contract with Qべ, that was mentioned when he was talking with Kyouko.

Also Homura is trying to prevent Madoka from entering a contract with Qべ, I don't think see said at any point point that she does not wish Madoka to become a Mahou Shoujo in general, through other means perhaphs ... not 100% sure on this one though
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 13:57   Link #424
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Speculation and wild theories aside, Homura has become a Mahou Shoujo without entering a contract with Qべ, that was mentioned when he was talking with Kyouko.
He doesn't say that. He say that you could say Homura did contract with him, but you also could say she didn't.

In other words, he's not sure (or he's lying).
Old 2011-02-08, 14:20   Link #425
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
He doesn't say that. He say that you could say Homura did contract with him, but you also could say she didn't.

In other words, he's not sure (or he's lying).
You made me rewatch the scene, he said that "she kind of did, but also didn't" and continues by saying that "she is different, irregular" ... not sure about the translation, though. In any case, whether you take that or the subbers (not all that different) he clearly implies that Homura did not had a standard contract with him. I focus on the negation (did not), while you on the modifier (standard contract) ... in the end it's not so different.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 14:50   Link #426
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
In any case, whether you take that or the subbers (not all that different) he clearly implies that Homura did not had a standard contract with him
"Maybe she did,maybe she didn't" , which is the translation I have, seems to imply that a lot less though.
Old 2011-02-08, 17:54   Link #427
Funkatron
Highly irregular

here is a theory:

In the contract scene with Sayaka, QB basically rips a chunk of her heart/soul/s[irit and gives it a physical form. We can probably deduce that magical girls aren't given powers, their powers are just unlocked from their heart. Maybe Madoka might be able to release her own Soul Gem without the help of QB, if she is Nanoha 2.0
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 20:48   Link #428
NaweG
Just some guy

For all the discussion of Sayaka "buying the farm", I keep thinking back to her comment in the elevator that if only she had known the cost - which implies that we are getting told the story from a future viewpoint, and Sayaka is around to tell it.

Right?
Old 2011-02-08, 21:06   Link #429
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
For all the discussion of Sayaka "buying the farm", I keep thinking back to her comment in the elevator that if only she had known the cost - which implies that we are getting told the story from a future viewpoint, and Sayaka is around to tell it.

Right?
Good point.

To me, this could very well mean she won't die... or if she does, she gets revived later on.
Old 2011-02-09, 09:00   Link #430
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
So, assuming that Homura indeed is the cat - was she a cat before? If so, how comes she could make a wish? If she's going to become a cat later - how comes?

I feel we don't have enough pieces to really make an educated guess yet.
I am suprise to see that so many people have problem with "A cat is allowed to make a wish and sign MG contract". Poor kitty, why is human so discriminate Aren't various anime have various kind of animal become various kind of thing, esper, ghost buster, ninja, blah blah blah? and when they do, aren't they usually portraited as more powerful than their human counterpart ? Yep, we still don't have concrete evidence for either side of argument yet. but my default value is still, yes, cat is allowed.

I am not sure if the question of "Is cat soul work the same way with human soul ?" is something related to Christian's belief ? To me, coming from Buddist country which believe in reincarnation, that is not a question at all. All soul work the same. It is just the matter of what you born as in this life. You live, you die, go to hell, pay for your sin, reborn as something else depend on your karma, rinse and repeat. Hope I didn't wander too far off topic here lol

Putting religious believes aside, I can understand why QB won't approach random street cat over random pedestrian on the street. A cat is less likely to have any strong wish that will bound it to fight dangerous monster for life. It would rather chase a mouse or fight with other cats instead But in Homura's case, she clearly have one. Being a cat or human shouldn't be a problem at all.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 16:50   Link #431
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Somehow crossed my mind, and I haven't read too much on the past discussions so I'm just gonna dump it here.

If an MG's wish becomes her innate ability, then Homura's ability to teleport might hint towards space-time altering wish (assuming Physics Law apply here). Also, this might also mean Mami might still have some chance to return sometime later if her innate ability is auto-life like in FF (because of her wish "not to die") or perhaps even reincarnation.

Also, since Sayaka's weapon is swords, and she can recreate seemingly unlimited number of them, Sayaka might just be another Unlimited Blade Works style "Archer"
Old 2011-02-10, 13:39   Link #432
Seihai
スマイリウム

Episode 6 poem "Hey Diddle Diddle": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_Diddle_Diddle

The anime version is basically the same but Madoka did a (small) tense mistake at the last line. No one's perfect I guess, whether Madoka nor the ones who animated that screen.
Anime version:

Quote:
Hey diddle diddle,
The cat and the fiddle,
The cow jumped over the moon;
The little dog laughed
To see such sport
And the dish run away with the spoon.
Wiki's more modern version which it is based on:

Quote:
Hey diddle diddle,
The cat played the fiddle,
The cow jumped over the moon,
The little dog laughed to see such sport,
And the dish ran away with the Spoon.
Just guessing:
Hey diddle diddle = it's nonsense / unbelievable things addressing Kyouko
Cat that played fiddle (violin) = Kamijo
Cow which jumped over the moon = Homura
Little dog = Kyubei
Dish (prey / feast) = Madoka
^ that ran away with the spoon = Soul Gem

So what about Sayaka? Well, she is basically in the middle of the "unbelievable things".

Guess #2

Since the anime is "The cat and the fiddle" it could be that Sayaka is the cat and the fiddle is representative for Kamijo.
Old 2011-02-10, 16:27   Link #433
Seihai
スマイリウム

Spoiler for Homura's time:
Old 2011-02-10, 16:39   Link #434
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
Spoiler for Homura's time:
IMO it's short range teleporting. With cool down time, say, of 5 second. That's why she keeps running while "jumping" every few seconds.
Old 2011-02-10, 16:43   Link #435
Seihai
スマイリウム

Yeah, that's possible, too. Then it's not direct time manipulation, I would still call it indirect and wish related though. As it's shortening time per seconds you would normally move. Though I stick to the time thing because last episode she was walking while the water drops were still in falling proccess, I think. (which might just be part of the animation which is why the teleporting thing is just as possible)
Old 2011-02-10, 22:49   Link #436
Dark Wing

Well Kyuube was seen "eating?" a Grief Seed this episode so dose that mean my food chain theory just might hold some weight after all?

Also now I have to wonder is Kyuube really the only one of his kind? because there has to be more contractors out there eating all the Grief Seed.
Old 2011-02-10, 23:01   Link #437
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Well Kyuube was seen "eating?" a Grief Seed this episode so dose that mean my food chain theory just might hold some weight after all?
It's possible. In all honesty, we don't know what he's doing with them, just that he took it from Sayaka because continuing to use that one would pose some kind of risk.

I'd like to see some other translations of that scene to get a better idea of what was said.

Quote:
Also now I have to wonder is Kyuube really the only one of his kind? because there has to be more contractors out there eating all the Grief Seed.
That has been bugging me, too. I'm down to a few guesses:

#1. What we see is Kyube is really just a puppet; the real one is controlling other Kyube's, contracting with other MG's, and using them to funnel grief seeds back to himself.

#2. There really isn't that many MG's, and the witch problem is confined to a small area of Japan. Kyube can pop all over the place as needed, showing up when he detects that a seed has been used enough to pose a bit of a danger.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 23:41   Link #438
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Upon reviewing episode 6, I noted Junko echoing Goethe's own truth in Faust, where an individual that strives to do what is right will not achieve just that; men stumble and frown while holding on their self-evident truths. Faust had Mephistopheles to spoil his best of intentions for him in realization of care, and ultimately humility, which gave excuse for his salvation in the last act of the second part of the drama after all.

Perhaps the worst issue at the moment lies in the lack of understanding that Madoka has in attempting to follow the letter of the suggestion to commit wrong. Unlike Mephistopheles, who commits calculated actions to the best of his judgments, Madoka has no utilized no such mental acumen.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 00:02   Link #439
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Perhaps the worst issue at the moment lies in the lack of understanding that Madoka has in attempting to follow the letter of the suggestion to commit wrong.
Her mother is just using some kinda reverse psychology. Madoka says Sayaka did nothing wrong, yet she's unhappy (and getting worst). The point is, that Madoka lacks the understanding to realize that, if Sayaka isn't happy, maybe what she's doing isn't actually right....

But Madoka can't possible understand that, so her mother go the other way around. If Sayaka is unhappy even though she's doing "the right thing", why don't you do the opposite (something wrong)? she said. It just means that Madoka should confront Sayaka, even if she ends up as the bad guy for opposing her.

EDIT: and she did exactly that, she went a confronted Sayaka, and it backfired on her... BUT, it was the right thing to do, otherwise she would have never known about these dark secrets of the magical girl business. So it was a key revelation prompted by her actions, probably the very first time she fulfilled her role as protagonist (and it was thanks to her mother ^__^).

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-02-11 at 00:15.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 00:10   Link #440
Sekirei07

Did QB raise a flag for Mami to be revived?

He said it doesn't matter if your body bleeds out, crushed, dies, etc. So long as you have magic you can recover, provided your Soul Gem is intact. Was Mami's Soul Gem destroyed? If not than couldn't they tech revive her if they charge her Soul Gem?

Tags
madoka magica