AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Fate/stay Night Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 12 11.32%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 15.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 33 31.13%
7 out of 10 : Good 26 24.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 17 16.04%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.94%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.94%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-02-11, 22:25   Link #61
ordnance11

Quote:
And about Saber being able to survive... that isn't necessarily true. The reason she's sleeping and eating all the time is because she isn't getting much mana from Shirou. So she doesn't have any super human regeneration (well, she does, but not like Shirou's). According to the anime's "explanation" so far, Shirou recovers because of Saber. Not the other way around.
So far, that's Rin's explanation for Shiro suddenly being able to have the ability of the Energizer bunny holds true...though the opposite could also be true. Once his command mantra activated...Shiro has all this magical energy and nowhere to go due to his inexperience. Which is why he has these great healing abilities.

Rin really did love her father, didn't she? That bitter line of hers about Kiritsu becoming a parent rather a magi...I think she's bitter inside about her father having to fight in the last war..rather than watching her grow up.

As for Rider...she may lack the raw power of the rest of the Servants, being agile and sneaky counts for a lot...btw...do I see an increase in the number of members in the "Riding Rider" club? Plus having a sexy voice does help...though that line of hers...

"I shall kill you gently"

Boy, that does have a lot of meanings! Too bad her master looks like a slimeball.

As far as the format and pacing...I'm not a fan of the DBZ format (4 episodes for a 10 minute fight ), so I'm okay with it so far

Last edited by ordnance11; 2006-02-12 at 09:25.
ordnance11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-11, 22:43   Link #62
monster

I'm liking Shirou even more after watching this episode. He may be clueless about a lot of things but at least he's sincere about his feelings. And it looks to me that Archer understands Shirou more than anyone else even if he may not agree with him. Perhaps he too was like Shirou in his previous life but something may have happened to change his view.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-11, 22:49   Link #63
ayyo

I don't get why people are all over Shirou for stuff like jumping in front of Saber to take the blow instead. It's the same as any other character in an anime that you cried over for because he died from taking the bullet/hit instead.

It's not the lack of common sense or intelligence but it's more like his ideals of saving everyone has a higher priority. In his shoes, I would love to see what other method you can think of to protecting Saber. Sure, common sense would say even if he saved her, if he died Saber would disappear, but that was still better then her suffering and 'dying'. Sure its foolish to walk around unguarded, but he doesn't consider Saber to be a tool, call it foolish, call it naiveness, whatever, it makes him part amirable. Plus, its not exactly like he was prod and trained to his position of being a Master in a war, just a day ago he was happy doing other people's work without finding anything weird in that.

Really, I wonder when people start disliking those characters that believe in naive, innocent things and having to meet reality. It's very un-Shirou like to stand and let someone kill a girl in front of him without doing anything. It's just the type of person he is.

On another note, if they follow through with Shinji, yay Ilya!
ayyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-11, 23:43   Link #64
Jump

Please delete that comment, knight.
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-11, 23:51   Link #65
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Knight didnt really post a spoiler -.- It seemed pretty obvious that the way Archer said those words to Shirou that hes talking from personal experience to some extent and perhaps he , like Shirou believed in a naive ideal and was crushed by reality.

anyways I gave this ep an 8, loved the conversation Archer had with Shirou. People really need to lay off Shirou
demon_god04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-11, 23:58   Link #66
TehKev

Send a message via AIM to TehKev
I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised by this series so far, and this episode was quite good. Very much looking forward to see how Saber will react to Shirou making a temp alliance with Tohsaka, and what's up with Rider and her master who seemed to have kidnapped the Archery club captain(?). I was kind of amused at how Archer got all preachy on Shirou at the end of the episode though. Alot of the good anime's lately seem based on h-games... xD
TehKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 02:04   Link #67
Moon Eclipse

I hope no one minds me using the spoiler tag to make my post shorter, you can read what they wrote to me in the tags but some people wont want to have massive texts suddenly pop up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guy
Spoiler:
Let me go about it another way... He does stuff but they all seem to be almost counter productive in the big picture of things. He sees someone he saves them even if it costs him his life. It's short sighted and leaves a lot of other that he will never see helpless in the face of what may yet come. It is not that that he fail to save everyone, it's that he was so engrossed with those infront of him he never even gave a throught to the others outside his periferal vision.

His stupidity it in not taking Saber with him in the first place. It would have saved a lot more grief in the end I believe if it was her fending off rider from the get go. Rin would have never even let the through of attacking him enter her mind had Saber been there and openings for Rider to take advantage of would have never existed.

If he believes in saving everyone without needing to sacrifice others, he should find a way/ think of a way to do it for himself as well. If sacrificing others isn't an option, neither should sacrificing himself. I hate the Martyr attitude he seems to be making a habit of, I hope in the future he just doesn't thow himself on the tracks every time he sees a train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot
Spoiler:
If he doesn't care at all about winning either directly because he wants to win, or indirectly because by winning he accomplishes something else, he might as well be dead already. It's almost contradictory to not want to win and yet want to save people in the war cause you have to face the fact, if you don't win that leaves it open for someone else to win. And who knows what those people might wish for...

It's not abandonment of what you believe in, it's finding out the best way to accomplish the goal you've set out for yourself. Getting yourself killed isn't a good way by any means (and as people have brought up he didn't know he was going to get regenerated) That is exactly what he's been doing up till now.

He's got to face facts, this "girl" Saber, can handle herself better than he can. Again with the Martyr complex

Once again I must say I personally don't hate Shirou, I like flawed character. One of the reasons I like Athrun and Shinn in GSD. They're both flawed, the only thing I hated was that Shinn never grew out of his flawed mindset in the least
Moon Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 02:43   Link #68
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Biased rating a 9er for me

Shirou remind me of Gon and Kurapica... >.< . And thats bad >.<
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 03:28   Link #69
evil-samurai

lol Shirou he is not bad in heart or a bad character but he does act quite stupid at times Shirou needs to know his limits and trying to fight a servent off at this stage by himself and wining and not involing others shows he really isn't using his head ^^;; well I really liked the talk with him and Archer, it was one of the better scenes in this Episode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Moon Eclipse
got to face facts, this "girl" Saber, can handle herself better than he can.
True, he does have a few things to learn and what you said Moon Eclipse is right on the mark, well it will be nice to see how he develops ^^ I'm sure he will learn that Saber can! do things he! cant! or mabye they might not really show that and have Shirou become really powerfull or somthing like that well I like Shirou character, but hopfully he will develop a bit.

Spoiler for because its fun to make fun of Shirou; Rin::
->I think someone needs to implant these words into Shirou head, before his dies!
Spoiler for Archer::
-> Boy Archer set his standards of Shirou a little too high
Spoiler for Shirou::
-> *shacks head * didn't Shirou learn anything, from talking with Rin ^^;;

If you ask why there there is writing across the bottom, well lets just say I added it there, no way I would post somthing I shouldn't ^^;;
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 11:56   Link #70
cf18
Mecha Pilot

As for lack of action, it make sense in this fight of king-of-the-hill with very limited re-spawn. Well a master can re-spawn if he manage to get a new servent or have blind luck like Shirou.

There is no advantage to take out an enemy early if you can stay hidden and let the others do the work for you. It's better to take the time to collect more information and strength. However there is advantage in taking out an enemy by surprise before he become stronger, which is why most of the action has been ambush and hit-and-run.

Now we know Shinji should be the master of Raider, and he probably learned his magical power from one of his parent. Sakura is his sister, so she should be a magician too.
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 15:45   Link #71
Jaden

Shirou's a good guy, but indeed stupid to no end. He has practically died like 20 times already. It's like he is knowingly abusing his position as the main character! Well, I guess there are somewhat believable reasons for it. The others are letting him live for pity's sake. Like Rider said "I just can't take you seriously"
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 15:58   Link #72
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Well Shirou also made a crack at Rider about how she didnt seem as powerful as the other servants, she said she will make him amend that comment first before killing him.
Old 2006-02-12, 16:06   Link #73
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

After a bit of lurking, I feel I should probably jump on the FSN bandwagon and add my own two cents. Not having played the game, I'm personally inclined to rate based on MrProphet's "as-we-watch" basis (not critiquing on something that appeared in the game). This is not to say that I feel that those who've already played it don't have the right to make their judgements based on how the anime follows the game-- much of this series for them may rest on how accurately the show portrays the events of the game. Unfortunately, this leaves those of us who have no prior experience out of the loop, and that's not exactly fair, is it ^^?

As for Shirou's character, my gripe about him is not the usual " exhasperatingly naive, unrealistic saint" v. "believeable realpolitik hero" but that Shirou's drive is definitely lacking. I agree that he's tremendously idealistic, but that's a theme done plenty of times before. It's admirable, touching, and trite. It doesn't bother me anymore since we've seen plenty of such protagonists redeem themselves through character building. Unfortunately, I see very little plan for character development thus far. If Shirou truly wants to become the Purveyor of Justice, then he should do something about it. He's currently too weak to handle a Servant, let alone another Master. Yet, he wants to protect Saber and everyone around him. His solution? Nothing!! He just continues to stumble into incoming danger and hope good can come out of it. If Shirou has a head, the correct answer is to learn to become a more powerful mage-- by either developing his primary magical ability into something truly useful, or learning more of the art. The man has very little drive for self-improvement, making him even less-likeable than kiddie-shounen-ninja heroes. I'd really like to see some solid development in Shirou: Does he take it upon himself to learn the magical arts? Will he unwittingly commit an atrocity and sacrifice his ideals? Until then, his character will remain a weak one, constrained to the fate of many eroge protagonists. I'll give him a little credit in that he mentions in Episode 6 that:
Spoiler:
Good point Shirou. But if you really feel that way, please go act on them.

On the other hand, I see huge possibilities in Rin and Saber's characters. Both are dogmatic, emotionless, goal-driven warriors; bred for their task. As the series progresses, though, they'll learn to become more human, thanks to their interaction with Shirou. This will probably make them far more likeable, as everyone likes to see such transitions.
Ambience Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 16:14   Link #74
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
We're only at episode 6 and you're on his case about not improving himself? You'll find out within the next several weeks what you've been complaining about, will be happening. Your impatience will be rewarded, just not at the pacing that YOU like.

We're only 3 days into the story! You can't expect everything to change in just three days.

Also your opinion on Rin being emotionless... Obviously you haven't been watching the same show as I have. She's shown plenty of emotion. At the very earliest in episode 2.
Old 2006-02-12, 17:08   Link #75
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife
We're only at episode 6 and you're on his case about not improving himself? You'll find out within the next several weeks what you've been complaining about, will be happening. Your impatience will be rewarded, just not at the pacing that YOU like.

We're only 3 days into the story! You can't expect everything to change in just three days.

Also your opinion on Rin being emotionless... Obviously you haven't been watching the same show as I have. She's shown plenty of emotion. At the very earliest in episode 2.
Whoa, calm down a little Justin-- I'm not trying to be antagonistic. The bigger picture may be a bit clearer to you since you know how the story will pan out in the long run, but I'm just worried right now that at 6 episodes into a 26-episode series, they should start showing promise of character development. I'm not gunning for a higher ideal, so I'm simply calling the criticism as I see it.

As for Rin, I'm claiming that she's emotionless from a relative point of view-- compared with Shirou, she's definitely trying to keep her feelings in check. It's just interesting to see how bits of it leak out here and there, the catalyst obviously being her relationship with Shirou. Episode 2 does a pretty good job showing her nature: with feelings, but seriously hiding them. And that's what makes her so likeable. The bigger point of my comment is not whether Saber and Rin are or aren't emotionless characters-- it's that they definitely show the promise of character development in such aspects. If the screenwriters could do such a good job making this evident in the first six episodes, why couldn't they do this with Shirou? Stock characters make for poor storytelling and stagnant plot movement.

Also, please watch your ad homs, Justin. I'm watching and enjoying this show just as much as you are. There's great backstory, brilliant voice-casting, the mythology element is absolutely fascinating, and the fight scenes are well-animated. F/SN is probably my favorite series of this season, and will probably continue to be. I'm just adding my input on how the series could possibly become better, which it very well may do within the next twenty episodes. Until then, these are my comments, and I know you're smart enough to answer them without such personal interjections.
Ambience Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 17:15   Link #76
mikemil828
Enemy of all Humankind

Might as well calm down justin, you won't get anywhere with these folks by using quasi-spoilers. If they wish to hate on the series they will do so, usually without thinking about the possibility of actually NOT watching the series.

However you are right about Ambience Blue saying that Rin is emotionless, when it's obviouse that she isn't, even from the get go, emotion is what caused her to save Shirou's life with that gem, it is also what made her go over to Shirou's house when Lancer attempted to re-kill Shirou, it is also what stopped her from killing Shirou.

Emotionless she ain't
mikemil828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 17:26   Link #77
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Well we are not even 1/4th into the series and the main players so to speak has just been introduced. They ARE showing hints and laying down the ground work for the character development right now. Shirou's conversations with the other characters for the most part give us a hint of where hes at and that last conversation with Archer hint at where he might end up. Just because they dont show all their cards upfront doesnt mean they don't have any.

Although I agree without having played the game and looking at the anime ep by ep the criticism may seem valid, but I dont think there are many series that has much character development either in the first 6 eps. Also some game players who have prior knowledge of the story and characters will be understandably irritated when we see these criticisms. Just be patient and wait until a good number of eps have been aired

Last edited by demon_god04; 2006-02-17 at 03:24.
Old 2006-02-12, 18:59   Link #78
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Long shot animation frames for the characters still look sloppy and loose, however, the plot quite intrigues with new questions that have risen on me.

Shirou was dead wrong to misjudged Rider's capacities and calling her a weakest Servant because of her lack of strength.
1. Rider compensates her physical power limitations with blurring speed, mobility, and stealthiness combined with a coordinated sense of sensing magical signatures while studying carefully the psychological profiles of her intended targets at the same time. She leaves the impression that moves as a ghost and mostly making sense to her class designation name.
2. I must assume that Rider possess the weapon with the longest range, combined with her flash reflexes and stealthy agility makes her a vicious Servant not to be taken lightly. Long chain + Stake = Harpoon to ensnare.
3. She's cunning as Saber to keep her weapon unseen so as not let her identity figured out.
4. Rider would take advantage of open area environments where is easily to cloak her presence. Bad idea for Shirou to venture himself alone into that gloomy forest.
5. And IMO, her voice is calm and soothing to listen, although I can get goosebumps if a very beautiful woman like her would say to me that she's going to kill me gently because of loving to put the pain unto myself.

And as for Rider's Master.....
Spoiler:

So concluding Rider's actions, she was after all targetting Shirou. Rider just had to provoke him by attempting to kill Tohsaka so that he could bite the bait and be lured into her trap.

Rin still is adoring and more charming when she's dead serious and dangerous to meant that she was going to incapacitate Shirou for good, if he wasn't handing over his....
Spoiler:

But the whole ordeal against Rider's Master and the force field made them to cease the fire.

And why did Rin went nuts while hearing from Shirou that his father did not taught him magic?
Spoiler:

Now my last comments deal in particular with the soundtrack.
The tunes played during the following stages:
-Shirou v.s. Rider in the forest, -Rider's Master, and -Shirou's conversation with Archer are just bluntly cool, possessing that haunting but ethereal mood that makes Fate/Stay night series so enthralling and captivating.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 20:40   Link #79
tragicsmile
おじさんはパスタ好き?

Send a message via AIM to tragicsmile Send a message via Yahoo to tragicsmile
I will have to agree with your music preference - I rewatched the Rider fight scene multiple times just to listen to the haunting music. :3

Quote:
2. I must assume that Rider possess the weapon with the longest range, combined with her flash reflexes and stealthy agility makes her a vicious Servant not to be taken lightly. Long chain + Stake = Harpoon to ensnare.
You're forgetting that Archer is... y'know, an Archer. : p And we haven't seen Caster strut her stuff yet.

Quote:
. And IMO, her voice is calm and soothing to listen, although I can get goosebumps if a very beautiful woman like her would say to me that she's going to kill me gently because of loving to put the pain unto myself.
That was so incredibly sexy. :3
tragicsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 20:47   Link #80
Prodigious
Level 5 Haruhiist

Send a message via AIM to Prodigious Send a message via MSN to Prodigious Send a message via Yahoo to Prodigious
I enjoyed the episode a lot. Please forgive me for doing something so dispicable, but I decided to watch the show for entertainment instead of viewing it so I could come on this forum and flame everyone who disagrees with my views.
Prodigious is offline   Reply With Quote