Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Utawarerumono

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-05, 14:39   Link #1
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Utawarerumono is licensed

Since ADV Films have licensed Utawarerumono AnimeSuki will no longer list torrents for it. In addition, the following posts are no longer allowed:
  • Asking where you can find Utawarerumono downloads.
  • Providing links to Utawarerumono downloads.
  • Discussing Utawarerumono fansub groups (past or present).
  • Asking for help downloading Utawarerumono.
  • Asking for playback help for Utawarerumono episodes.
These rules applies to fansubs (in English or any other language) and raws alike.

You still are allowed to discuss the anime, that has not changed, but please remember to limit the discussion to the story. Discussion about the DVD releases are also welcome. This thread may be used to discuss aspects of the license.
If a Mod notices anyone breaking these rules then expect to be banned from the forums. It's unlikely a warning will be given and do not expect to be notified, you will just be banned. Please use the Report button if you notice any of the above rules being broken.
Old 2006-08-05, 14:47   Link #2
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

>insert complaining about the cheesy title here<

But really, I didn't think "The One Being Sung" or whatever was so bad. Or something about dreams, or songs, or war, or something! Maybe they thought people would be more interested if they thought the anime had ninjas?
Old 2006-08-05, 15:08   Link #3
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Let me repeat what I said in the general Utawa thread:

First, liscensed noooooooo. It'll be harder to break the law n - *cough*

I actually am really happy that Utawa got picked up so fast, I was expecting it to get liscensed right quick since it's just so good. Still though... "Shadow Warrior Chronicles?" I sort of see where they're getting that from (lol evil godzilla mode etc.) but it doesn't fit the tone of the overall show at all (I mean, that opening song, and then "Shadow Warrior Chronicles?"). I would have stuck with "The One Being Sung About"/"The One We Sing Of" because it IS eye catching. At least stick with the song theme, maybe "The Song of Legends" or something.

On the plus side, ADV dubbing and subbing is usually on par or better, so title choices aside we know the show's in pretty good hands.

That said... does anyone note the similarity between this title and the title for the upcoming Robotech series? I'll confess, that level of lazy does worry me a bit about the amount of effort they're going to put into translating the series...
Old 2006-08-05, 15:12   Link #4
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
so is the name Utawarerumono gona be changed into 'Shadow Warrior Chronicles' ?

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-08-05, 15:18   Link #5
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Wtf? WTF?! WTF IS WITH THAT $HITTY TITLE??????!!!!!!

Renaming Detective Conan to Case Closed....

Renaming the Evangelion Girlfriend of Steel 2 manga to Angel Days....

And don't even get me started on Tokyo Mew Mew....

Dudes in US Anime companies, leave the f-ing naming to the Japanese. Please.
Old 2006-08-05, 15:21   Link #6
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
So this is the name discussion topic then? (I presume so, seen as Nightwish would've locked it otherwise...)

May as well repost what I said in the general topic then:
Well, it could be worse I suppose... really, I don't think it'll harm its sales in any area other than fansub watchers, and calling it by its original name to satisfy us would drive away most of the casual market (the original name because it's too complicated and Japanese, the translation because "lol is this a singing anime?". I don't like it much myself, but I haven't got anything better either.

As for the original name, the most natural translation seems to be "The one you sing of" which is a really fitting title when you find out why it's called that. Unfortunately, that's not right until the end (don't search for it, it's a gigantic spoiler that I regret finding out myself) and you have to wait around that long thinking it's kinda weird before you know.

So, any bets on what they're going to change the name of the 'evil god' to? I can't even spell his name, much less pronounce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz
so is the name Utawarerumono gona be changed into 'Shadow Warrior Chronicles' ?
For the US R1 release, yes.
Old 2006-08-05, 15:23   Link #7
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Ah! my request thread was granted

--> Anyway, they should've been more creative on picking a title.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-08-05, 15:23   Link #8
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdra
So this is the name discussion topic then? (I presume so, seen as Nightwish would've locked it otherwise...)
Yup; as I said in the first post, "this thread may be used to discuss aspects of the license", which includes the name
Old 2006-08-05, 15:24   Link #9
Ichy
It`s a miracle!

Location: This is the Kind of Woman I want to play Games with. And by playing Games I mean.... ^____^
What a stupid Name for this Show...
Old 2006-08-05, 15:26   Link #10
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

ffs the dam american idiots ruining a perfectly good show with a unique name!! i can see the flames of hell comming >.<!!! *whines*

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Old 2006-08-05, 15:31   Link #11
Furudanuki

The Good - Commercial grade R1 DVDs and possible bonus goodies.
The Bad - Waiting probably a year until the R1 releases catch up to where subs are now.
The Ugly - "Shadow Warrior Chronicles"???

I don't have a :barf: emoticon, or I would use it.
Old 2006-08-05, 15:31   Link #12
Kensuke

Do you really think that any company would release something under the name of "Utawarerumono". Uta- what!?

Oh well, I guess I start to wait for the DVDs, and hope that ADV's release is good quality.
Old 2006-08-05, 15:32   Link #13
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensuke
Do you really think that any company would release something under the name of "Utawarerumono". Uta- what!?
The whole point being they should have used a translation of "Utawarerumono" or something that actually was related to the show... =/

I DEMAND MY NINJAS!
Oh, well, I guess the Big-O rejects in the OP will just have to carry the title on their own...
Old 2006-08-05, 15:33   Link #14
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

The name might be silly, but it changes nothing about the show itself -- for me at least. I know it as "Utawarerumono" and plan to continue calling it "Utawarerumono". It will continue to be the same show for me. I imagine I'll only watch the subbed track of the DVD release once I get it anyway... so really a silly name is of little consequence.
Old 2006-08-05, 15:37   Link #15
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Actually, the more I think about it the more I think keeping the original hiragana in the title with the translation above and below (like a, er, certain group of fans who shall remain nameless did) would actually fit the series really well - you'd get the "far orient" feel from the hiragana (and the entire series is about exuding old-time Japan feeling, on some level) but you'd still have that nice catchy title of "The One We Sing About". I wonder why they didn't go that route.
Old 2006-08-05, 15:41   Link #16
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I hope they decide to call it "The One Being Sung", ultimately, but that name is not so bad of a thing, it is still the series we love, ultimately. Let us just hope that the Sub and Dub are done very well, and knowing ADV, they are one of the best companies for the western market, so as someone said, it is in good hands, at least.
Old 2006-08-05, 15:42   Link #17
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Do you really think that any company would release something under the name of "Utawarerumono".
Lol, well I personally think that would be infinitely better than the current name, but in answer to your question, no.

Here is exactly what I think we should tell those bonehead name-thinkers in the US Anime companies, word for word. It also tells you my opinion on US naming of Japanese anime:

"Ask the Japanese companies, 'Hey, we're dumb$hits with names here, so can you give us a name for your Anime so we don't make it sound stupid by giving it a $hitty name?' "

C'mon, we've got cool and catchy titles like Stargate SG-1 and Battlestar Galactica and The Dead Zone and The 4400, why can't we Americans think of better names for anime?
Old 2006-08-05, 15:46   Link #18
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Indeed. Even after studying Japanese for years, I still had to practice saying it a bit. The 'reru' and 'rareru' tense still gets me tongue-tied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDrake
it doesn't fit the tone of the overall show at all (I mean, that opening song, and then "Shadow Warrior Chronicles?").
Exactly. A J-Pop song with medival folk overtones, a cute little girl riding a giant tiger, and then: (dum dum DUM!) :movie trailer narrator voice: "Shadow Warrior Chronicles!"

That said, I liked the title as "The Ones We Sing Of" or something along those lines. "Shadow Warrior Chronicles" in and of itself isn't a bad title, but it completely misrepresents the feel of the story - especially the lighthearted transitional episodes. People will be expecting something dark and edgey, and while the show is that way at times, it just doesn't feel right. ADV does have a habit of messing up titles once in a while.

I don't mean to jump on the complaining bandwagon that always becomes more crowded once a series is licensed, but they really could have picked a better title. Hopefully that'll be the only thing I'll have to gripe about.
Old 2006-08-05, 15:49   Link #19
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish
The name might be silly, but it changes nothing about the show itself -- for me at least. I know it as "Utawarerumono" and plan to continue calling it "Utawarerumono". It will continue to be the same show for me. I imagine I'll only watch the subbed track of the DVD release once I get it anyway... so really a silly name is of little consequence.
i know it wouldnt change the feeling of fans but think about non fans...ppl would be put off by silly ass names like this...the title is too much of a cliché...like when someone sees the title they think about something like DBZ (thats wht i think anyway ) stupid names like this give anime (in general) a bad (childish?) impression on ppl, putting them off...ah well enough of my rant

Old 2006-08-05, 15:59   Link #20
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Well, for one thing, the delay isn't bad at all. We have fansubs of the TV version, and the Japanese R2 DVDs aren't even out yet (first two are due at the end of this month).

Satsume said in the general topic that if anything the title would drive potential viewers away. All they really need to attract them though is the 'warrior' part, considering it looks like they're trying to sell it as a war story. Warrior suggests action, most likely the back of the DVDs will suggest likewise, and they'll sell it like that. Action shows are popular, after all. Something like 'The One We Sing Of' suggests a deeper plot, yeah, but doesn't quite convey the war feeling I think they're hoping for. The fansub viewers already like the show, and much as I'm sure we'll all complain, many of us will buy the DVDs whether we like the name or not for the show itself. Considering the quality of the raws, DVD quality will make a huge difference if encoded well. I honestly don't think most anime fans who aren't fansub watchers will make as much of a big deal about this as we are.

Still, it's not impossible the original title won't be on there. I didn't like KGNE -> Rumbling Hearts either, but at least Funimation are keeping the original title as a subtitle there. ADV may do the same here. "The One Being Sung", on the other hand, sounds REALLY weird in English. If they're going to put a translation of the original title on, I hope they don't use that one.
Closed Thread