AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-08-18, 23:23   Link #461
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
You can't use Oreimo as an indicator of anime though.

Well, you can't use it as a indicator of anything. It's like if someone took a dump in the middle of the street*. That wouldn't be fair to say the whole city is full of shit, even if there's a lot.

*I apologize for the crude analogy. It's obvious that Oreimo should not be compared to a pile of dung. I wholeheartedly apologize to piles of dung everywhere.
Hey, don't talk shit about my Oreimo! Sure, the development was horrendous and the characters all went from awesome girls to god knows what, but at least it confirmed my favorite couple from the series! To hell with plot and characterization and whatever, I got the romance I wanted (in a totally forced way), good enough for me!

(In all honesty, Oreimo is pretty much comparable to Sword Art Online or Attack On Titan; all of them start out great and then fall apart later. Amazingly I have a high tolerance for shit shows, considering that I watched every season of Queen's Blade; I figured that once you know something is shit and completely lower your expectations to negative zero, you can enjoy shows like that a lot more than when you look at it with critical eyes. )

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 00:34   Link #462
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
Hey, don't talk shit about my Oreimo! Sure, the development was horrendous and the characters all went from awesome girls to god knows what, but at least it confirmed my favorite couple from the series! To hell with plot and characterization and whatever, I got the romance I wanted (in a totally forced way), good enough for me!

(In all honesty, Oreimo is pretty much comparable to Sword Art Online or Attack On Titan; all of them start out great and then fall apart later. Amazingly I have a high tolerance for shit shows, considering that I watched every season of Queen's Blade; I figured that once you know something is shit and completely lower your expectations to negative zero, you can enjoy shows like that a lot more than when you look at it with critical eyes. )
Sorry, I lowered my expectations to the negatives, and it still wasn't bad enough. Unfortunately, your statement about "to hell with plot and characterization...." seems to me to apply to everything that the creators did. Indeed, there's no way for me to put SAO and especially Titan on the same level as that as that would just be insulting, and I already dislike SAO heavily.

If this was season one, I'd understand. At this point, I see more value in Guilty Crown, and everyone knows how much I hated that too.

The other reason is that in this current climate, I see no reason to lower my expectations at all.

I hardly consider myself one with critical eyes. The first season was fine, and I enjoy stuff like Kiss x Sis and To Love Ru without a second thought. And even though people would stab me for saying this, I have no problem with stuff like Vivid Red Operation either.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 00:43   Link #463
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It's the "fall apart later" that has me annoyed and tired at this point with much of the offerings. Some days I wonder if "story school" in Japan spends 80% of the class on character design, 15% on premise, and 5% on actually writing a story that doesn't catch on fire and suck ... and then they cancel the last few days so that isn't covered.
Old 2013-08-19, 01:21   Link #464
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Well, it's definitely better to watch/ignore shows with no expectations than to have everything fall apart several episodes in. Though to be fair, someone told me
that the light novel was much better.

As for the animation school thing by Vexx, you put cute girls on everything to break even, and then you think of something resembling plot.

Old 2013-08-26, 15:28   Link #465
Puddingman

Seldom do I read about an anime before I watch it. I don't wanna know anything about it going in, more fun that way :3

And also, I watch like...2 or 3 shows every couple of months. Usually I find one I really like and I dig into it for a looong time. Keeps things super fresh. But on the flip side I'm not up on any of the new stuff.
Old 2013-08-30, 08:21   Link #466
Aqua Knight

I think that after watching some serious/mature anime series you will try to find more of that kind instead of silly, more childish ones.

For example, if you watched Bleach/Naruto then watched Darker than Black, Psycho-Pass, etc. you will try to find some more series like the later (Blassreiter, Fate/Zero, etc.) instead of things like Fairy Tail, One Piece, KHR!

The same with romance type anime. First if you watch typical harem with a young looking stupid male lead and then watch something more serious like White Album, you would like to watch more series with an older protagonist, better character development, more mature story.

Well, at least I think so.
Old 2013-09-02, 16:46   Link #467
Lyocol
Banned

I also thinking of quitting anime soon. It just gotten worse and worse in every season. I hate to compare the past and present but it safe to say 20 years ago we don't have shitty shows like Free! and Highschool of the Dead.
Lyocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 17:21   Link #468
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Oh I'm certain there were bad shows 20 years ago. Just not as large of an internet that you wouldn't have heard about it.
Old 2013-09-02, 17:34   Link #469
hyl
reading #hikaributts

I could easily pick Garzey's Wing, Angel Cop and Mad Bull 34 as some of the more horrible ones from the 90's.
These are even worse than most animes these days and it didn''t help that i remembered that most US dubbed animes were so bad that it became laughable
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 17:56   Link #470
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyocol View Post
I also thinking of quitting anime soon. It just gotten worse and worse in every season. I hate to compare the past and present but it safe to say 20 years ago we don't have shitty shows like Free! and Highschool of the Dead.
I think it is safe to say you haven't really studied what was available 20 years ago, or 10, or 30, or 40.
Old 2013-09-02, 18:18   Link #471
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyocol View Post
20 years ago, we didn't have as nearly as many shows.

20 years ago, the West got about 10% of the total available number of shows.

20 years ago, the internet did not exist and 500 series weren't available just by clicking.

I love how people just go in and say "everything back then was awesome, everything now is shit", because it means that you never bothered really looking into "20 years ago".

Old 2013-09-02, 19:12   Link #472
Puddingman

There's bad stuff everywhere, just takes sifting.

And there's a time and a place for everything. When I was younger I was so into the super powers, fighting, crazy super action anime and now I'm chilling out with Tamayura 0_o.

And After I finished Air I watched MM! to come down from all the intensities..can't say I saw that one coming.
Old 2013-09-02, 21:04   Link #473
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

And who know what would happened in the next 20 years?

Anime has became something more than just Entertainment. Something like a Symbol of Dream, Hope and Japanese.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 21:58   Link #474
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
And who know what would happened in the next 20 years?

Anime has became something more than just Entertainment. Something like a Symbol of Dream, Hope and Japanese.
Um, what?

Dream and hope...uh...yeah. If anything, anime has gotten much more depressing.

Japanese...well, it has always been a symbol of the Japanese since the 70s....

Not sure what you're talking about here.

Old 2013-09-02, 22:04   Link #475
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
Um, what?

Dream and hope...uh...yeah. If anything, anime has gotten much more depressing.
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean the state of the anime industry, at a creative level, is depressing? Or do you mean that the shows themselves are increasingly focusing on depressing content (i.e. increasingly dark, tragic, etc...)?

If you're talking about the shows themselves, then while it's true there's plenty of darker-toned shows out there, there's also some extremely heartwarming and uplifting shows out there. Heck, "Healing anime" is a much bigger thing now than it was back in the 90s or likely anytime before then. As someone who likes a fair number of "Healing anime" shows, I would say this is one of the edges that modern anime has on the past.

It's not that hard to find modern anime with Dreams and Hopes in them.
Old 2013-09-02, 22:10   Link #476
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean the state of the anime industry, at a creative level, is depressing? Or do you mean that the shows themselves are increasingly focusing on depressing content (i.e. increasingly dark, tragic, etc...)?

If you're talking about the shows themselves, then while it's true there's plenty of darker-toned shows out there, there's also some extremely heartwarming and uplifting shows out there. Heck, "Healing anime" is a much bigger thing now than it was back in the 90s or likely anytime before then. As someone who likes a fair number of "Healing anime" shows, I would say this is one of the edges that modern anime has on the past.

It's not that hard to find modern anime with Dreams and Hopes in them.
Well, "much more" is a bad way to put it, but I thought Fireminer was trying to say that anime has become much more "hopeful" over the years, which I wouldn't exactly agree with...though the amount of "healing anime" has grown, I don't think that "Dream and Hope" is the right way to describe the shows that are coming out nowadays.

Old 2013-09-02, 22:39   Link #477
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

No, no, I mean the prospect of this industry. Still survive and thriving after all these up and down - you gotta give credit to it. It's kind of an "American Dream" for some of us (my sister, for example). Also, even in the darkest anime, you could still find a ray of hope, right? And Healing Anime, they still growth, it is just that this is the era of depressing.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 00:22   Link #478
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
I could easily pick Garzey's Wing, Angel Cop and Mad Bull 34 as some of the more horrible ones from the 90's.
I don't want to live in a world without Mad Bull 34. Now that would make me quit anime.

But I am pretty happy we don't get anti-Semitic anime anymore. (At least that I'm aware of.)
Old 2013-09-03, 02:31   Link #479
Joyce_Steele
Banned

While Candy Candy is not a masterpiece even in shoujo standards but it safe to say it wasn't made to pander fujioshi audiences, like most popular shoujo shows of today. Just my opinion though.

@Echoes: There's an anti-semitic manga as far as I know. It was an adaptation of Hitler's Mein Kampf, if its qualifies. It is so offensive that only Fakku interested of scanlating it.
Joyce_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 05:43   Link #480
scineram

Who knows what the future holds, but for now I just cannot see it happening, with anime being so perfect.
Whether the industry can stay afloat in the new economy is my real concern.
scineram is offline   Reply With Quote