AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-10-01, 12:41   Link #21
Zefyris
図書館狼

Oh, and I forgot to talk about it, but I like both the ending and opening song. Nice stuff.

@AB079 : if you mean more about that scene itself, then impossible to answer as long as we're not part of the production staff. If you mean more blood, then what do you expect
Spoiler for not really a spoiler if you read the synopsis from MAL:

I think the answer is quite obvious.
Old 2016-10-01, 12:53   Link #22
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
Just tell me one thing please.

Spoiler for Q:
Spoiler:
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-01, 13:00   Link #23
AB079
Banned

Cute magical girls =/= bloody carnage

Usually from a story like this you wont expect that kind of development, do we saw something like this before? yeah, but is not that common and no, is not "obvious" because someone who knows this beforehand can say that, not the anime only viewers. Bloody battles, deaths and more should be expected from a serious story with another settings, is not like I'm complaining about this type of series having that element on it but makes it watchable and more interesting.

So yeah, I'll stick with this to see what's going to happen now that they were already "called" to this battle.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-01, 14:28   Link #24
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
That first episode was beautiful. I loved it.

Koyuki makes such an incredibly charming magical girl. It was lovely to watch her go around doing simple good deeds for other people. Her first on-screen heroic act being her rescuing a cat out of a tree was such a great choice. Koyuki not only capture magical girl here, she also captured the gentler side of superheroes.

I love the twist of Souta being one of the magical girls. That's very interesting, and the whole relationship between Souta and Koyuki is very cute and endearing so far. It's almost a shame that this show is going to get much darker, but I'll enjoy this pure smooth whimsical magical heroism while I can.
Old 2016-10-01, 14:33   Link #25
drawr

Second half of the episode was better. La Pucelle was my favourite design so I was extra shocked at the twist. I like it though, I was surprised to
Spoiler for plot twist:
playing a role in this.
drawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-01, 14:36   Link #26
HandofFate

from the first scene, hope we get to see some nice magical girl ryona
Old 2016-10-01, 14:41   Link #27
Dop
Mmmm....

Ok, that was slightly better than I expected, I wait to see how it develops its own personality in the forthcoming episodes. Mascot character Fav gives me the impression of being more like the mascot character from Bokurano than like Kyubey.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-01, 16:52   Link #28
Wandering Soul

The first episode was pretty much what I expected. A nice introduction to magical girls while also showing us some of Koyuki's daily like along with her optimism.

Wasn't expecting a guy to be one of the magical girls though. That was a nice twist.
Old 2016-10-01, 17:41   Link #29
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

I loved the first episode. Watched it twice. On paper this looked like the sleeper pick for AOTY and nothing so far has led me to think otherwise.

Also, I'm curious if anyone else thought the opening frame was an homage to...

Spoiler:
Old 2016-10-01, 18:42   Link #30
ukulelembo
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRealist View Post
Also, I'm curious if anyone else thought the opening frame was an homage to...

Spoiler:
That's probably because...
Spoiler:
ukulelembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-01, 18:49   Link #31
Peanutbutter

Okay, I dun expect a Madoka here, but at the very least, a Yuuki Yuna.

Now, let me begin watching...

EDIT: Interesting. That opening montage need not be there. Those already previewed this series will have some idea all things are not what they seem. But the opening montage just brought that out right into the open.

And ooh, cut down the number of magical girls by half? Oh boy, this will be fun.

EDIT2: La Pucelle makes me confused. I dun know how my body should react.

Last edited by Peanutbutter; 2016-10-01 at 19:19.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-01, 18:53   Link #32
Triple_R
*Author

While I do feel a little sorry for Koyuki and Souta, given the darkness they're about to face, I have to say that this "darkness" is also interesting and ripe with great potential.

Fav wants to get magical girls in the region down to 8. Now, we know that there's a magical girl team of 5, as La Pucelle told us. It's possible that this magical girl team will tightly close ranks and go to great lengths to try to have all 5 of them get through the coming crunch. And if that magical girl team does this, it might be very hard for their rivals to overcome even one of them (it would certainly be hard in direct physical combat).

So, what if the magical girl team forms a sort of impenetrable fortress for themselves, in the hopes of all 5 of them becoming 5 of the remaining 8? Well, then that leaves only 3 spots. 3 spots when we've already seen 2 teams of 2 (Snow White/La Pucelle and Top Speed/Ripple). Somebody from one of those two teams might crunch the numbers like I just did, and suspect that the only way her full team survives is by removing at least one member of the other team...

This is all a roundabout way of saying we might get Snow White/La Pucelle vs. Top Speed/Ripple in flashy action in the not-so-distant future. Could be a flashy and interesting conflict, particularly given how Ripple doesn't seem to like Snow White much.
Old 2016-10-01, 19:01   Link #33
Elestia

Pretty good first episode definitely caught my interest, although I can't stop being reminded of a certain scene when I hear that mascot speak.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2016-10-01, 20:41   Link #34
grecefar

Alright boys making bets of who is going to be the first victim... lol after that first scene and that opening I wonder how much dark this is going to have.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-01, 20:52   Link #35
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Well given that it's a battle royale theme according to the anime's description, I'm sure we'll see more of what we saw at the very beginning of the episode. It just makes me wonder how exactly can Snow White stand a chance when her ability seems basically useless when it comes to fighting. But since she's the main character there's no way they'll kill her off either ..
Old 2016-10-01, 21:09   Link #36
Yamada II

Episode 1

The first minute or so caught my attention. A magical girl standing with dead or almost dead girls around her with an evil smile on her face and then killing a big monster or whatever shows that even though this episode was predominantly lighthearted, it'll get pretty dark soon.

Koyuki is a mahou shoujo fan and her dream comes true when she becomes a magical girl thanks to kyuubei's distant cousin. And she quickly gets the hang of things. All magical girls will stay with their identities hidden. People will only have vague memories of them and all pictures of them would be blurred with them being censored or something. So Koyuki, or Snow White, goes all out with helping people, even more since her power is to hear the voices of those in trouble. I liked that magical girl chatroom. That was pretty cool.

And La Puce takes over training her who turns out to be a god damn guy! Wtf! I thought that Sou would only be there to show that even hardcore magical girl fans have lost interest except for a few like Koyuki. But it turns out that Fav liked the idea of having a guy become a mahou shoujo. Lol at where Koyuki was looking when La Puce said that she's probably completely a female.

And the ending was interesting. Fav got all these girls to become mahou shoujos and now he's cutting them down to eight which means that the rest would have to stop being mahou shoujos. I kinda expected them to take some time in introducing this setting but whatever. It's going to get interesting. But depending on what fate awaits the other magical girls this can fail pretty easily. If they're killing off characters then they've got 15 girls in need of some character development of whatever level otherwise it wouldn't feel right, unless the main purpose is to show what Koyuki goes through as the generic mahou shoujo thrown into a world of despair. But even then the other mahou shoujos need to become something more than just background characters with zero everything.

This was a pretty interesting episode. It was lighthearted overall in stark contrast to the first minute. I'm waiting for the time when the show gets dark with the despair kicking in. Should become cooler then. But for now I think they're going to take things a bit slowly with everyone taking this decision by Fav lightly before going serious when the situation gets desperate.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-01, 21:50   Link #37
Irenesharda

That was an interesting episode. I'm not ususally into the whole mahou shoujo scene, but I liked what I've seen so far.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-01, 22:29   Link #38
alex_drian

I get angry when they resurrected to the dead magical girls at the end
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-01, 22:35   Link #39
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Well given that it's a battle royale theme according to the anime's description, I'm sure we'll see more of what we saw at the very beginning of the episode. It just makes me wonder how exactly can Snow White stand a chance when her ability seems basically useless when it comes to fighting. But since she's the main character there's no way they'll kill her off either ..
A couple points:

1. La Pucelle has already vowed to protect Snow White. Yeah, part of that was him* just having fun and being theatrical, but I really think he has strong feelings for Snow White, and would sincerely want to protect her if she was in danger. And La Pucelle does have that big honking sword, so that should help.

2. Direct physical combat might not be the only way magical girls get thinned out. Simple stats-performance might also be a factor. And here is where Snow White's special ability actually does help a lot - It enables her to more quickly find people in need, which enables her to do more magical girl heroism, which ups her stats.

*For convenience's sake, and for now, I think I'm going to refer to La Pucelle/Souta as he/him instead of trying to remind myself to constantly switch back-and-forth on gender pronouns depending on whether it's Souta or transformed!Souta.
Old 2016-10-01, 22:57   Link #40
Requiem-x
The slacking one

That was a hell of a lot better than I was expecting. A shocking beginning, a protagonist that knows about as much of pre-Madoka magical girls as the audience, and I sure as hell wasn't expecting that twist with our second main I already want the stuff from the beginning to be a dream, but these two probably won't be so lucky. Hell, the weeding out has already begun (probably why everything went by so fast too). I'm very much in.

Character designs aren't that great, but at least the mains are some of the best, which helps a lot. OP is kinda meh, but the ED is quite nice.

P.S: a total nitpick here, but isn't La Pucelle supposed to be a spear? Its not like we haven't had a memorable magical lancer before.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battle royale, magical girl, mahou shoujo, tragedy