AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite(s) To Aru Majutsu no Index Characters
Index 83 18.95%
Kamijo Toma 208 47.49%
Misaka Mikoto 264 60.27%
Shirai Kuroko 81 18.49%
Tsukuyomi Komoe 31 7.08%
Himegami Aisa 36 8.22%
Kanzaki Kaori 107 24.43%
Styl Magnus 35 7.99%
Tsuchimikado Motoharu 65 14.84%
Tsuchimikado Maika 16 3.65%
Accelerator 172 39.27%
Misaka Sisters 60 13.70%
Sister #10032 114 26.03%
Last Order (Sister #20001) 114 26.03%
Kazakiri Hyouka 19 4.34%
Aureolus Izzard 11 2.51%
Misha 23 5.25%
Doctor 42 9.59%
Sphinx 32 7.31%
Others (specify) 46 10.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 438. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-12-10, 14:45   Link #141
LevelSeven

Spoiler for fizix:

@miraluka
Quote:
Yeah but AC's side, specially its dark side is more explored trough Accelerator and Shi age.
because as a fanfic-writer i can say that writing a dark-situation with a tsundere type like mikoto is really really hard, if not impossible...the only way to do it is to literally make a char who has a split personality... one is the mikoto we know and the other one is serious, mostlikely like accel :/

@hiss
Quote:
Even now, he still has quite the hatedom. There are some who reasonably can't forgive him for the Level 6 Shift Experiment. The rest are people who are just butthurt because he made their waifu suffer.
this is easy... they simply need to say, clones are humans too.... and that is a rather complicated topic to discuss and will not come to any clear point, afterall it depends on each persons pov...

but to be honest, i would have liked him to stay a crazy OP monster, killing whoever comes to close like a dark and evil/crazy version of ollerus but this wouldnt allow him to show up this much, and...well, this isnt a story with "bad"-things
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-10, 14:56   Link #142
Fizix
Nitpicking

@levelseven (not quoting as on a phone):

I take all of your points, they make sense, even if I don't agree.

On the Railgun series though, do we take that as true canon though? It is kind of fan service like. I only really enjoyed the first part of Railgun S. Series 1 was more like a teen girls social drama with a bit of light action thrown in.

But anyway, I got the emotional growth from index and while I get what you're saying with what Railgun shows, it doesn't quite mesh with index.* I know that if its written from an official source, you can't deny it, but if it conflicts or doesn't match what you've seen already, I'd imagine the first has to stand.

*shes kind if warmer (generally and towards him) in Railgun overall.
Fizix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-10, 15:14   Link #143
Fizix
Nitpicking

I'd add (in response to you saying that touma x Misaka won't ever happen):

expecting any relationship with Touma and one of the girls is pointless, he won't even think about it unless they go Shirai on his ass and if one of them were to do so, it would be whoever got in there first. He would jump at a chance of any of them... He's a 16 year old boy afterall.

Last edited by Fizix; 2014-12-10 at 15:26.
Old 2014-12-11, 05:49   Link #144
Apoptosis
Am I useful yet, guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizix View Post
I'd add (in response to you saying that touma x Misaka won't ever happen):

expecting any relationship with Touma and one of the girls is pointless, he won't even think about it unless they go Shirai on his ass and if one of them were to do so, it would be whoever got in there first. He would jump at a chance of any of them... He's a 16 year old boy afterall.
Lessar hasn't won yet though.
Apoptosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-11, 08:07   Link #145
Fizix
Nitpicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoptosis View Post
Lessar hasn't won yet though.
Hmmm... I would hope not too... Isn't she only a scrape above Last Order in age? She's introduced as an early teen and I don't think any other age has been given? If it has I missed it.

Maybe I should rephrase; any of them that wouldn't result in him signing the naughty boys register. I was discounting any characters who I consider too young as a given.

But none the less, my comment was a joke so exceptions such as Lessar can fly.

As an aside, Lessar is another character I like a lot, I like characters with some personality/attitude/spunk/etc
Old 2014-12-11, 21:45   Link #146
Miraluka
Banned

LO is 1 years old aprox.

Lessar is 12 or 13 according to the novels.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-12, 05:02   Link #147
Fizix
Nitpicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
LO is 1 years old aprox.

Lessar is 12 or 13 according to the novels.
Well I don't think I'd consider LO a 1 year old, she and the other clones are anomalies. For all intents and purposes she is 10 and is referred to as such in the novels. She was the easiest and closest point of reference for ages.

But anyway, thanks for confirming her age, Lessar being 12-13 removes her from my comment (even though it wasn't entirely serious in the first place) as it would be weird if he even considered it. "Any of them" did not include anyone who would be grim.

Last edited by Fizix; 2014-12-12 at 05:27.
Old 2014-12-13, 16:56   Link #148
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

This is in response to an earlier post by Fizix calling Touma generic:

Sorry, I would like to step in briefly. Touma is my favorite fictional character so I'd like to clarify a few things.

First, let's agree that in order to demonstrate that a character follows a generic archetype you have to prove two things:

1. You need to prove that they have at least a few generic character traits.

2. You need to prove that they have few, if any, unique or rare character traits.

If you can't prove both of these things, then you can't demonstrate that said character follows a generic archetype.

TL;DR…
Response to Fizix
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

One other thing that I want to mention is that Touma has a lot of other aspects to his character which are largely NOT found in most works of fiction. So I'm not really sure I agree with you...?

I also believe that the Magic Side is written very well starting either with volume 13/20 or with NT volume 2, take your pick.

Edit:

I also agree with Fisix that Misaka has much more character development and worth than most people on this forum give her credit for. Even if many of her fans may appreciate her character for different reasons, it isn't false to say that she has a lot of meaningful character development.

And @Fisix: If you haven't read the Railgun Manga, I recommend you try doing that. It's like the Railgun Anime, but without the teen girls social drama dynamic that you criticize, and the second arc of Railgun S which many people on this side of the To aru threads, dislike. Also, what the manga shows about the relationship between them or whatever is very different from what the anime shows because that isn't really canon, while the manga is, and it is largely (or even completely) consistent with the Index novels/anime on those criteria.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-13, 17:47   Link #149
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
I also agree with Fisix that Misaka has much more character development and worth than most people on this forum give her credit for. Even if many of her fans may appreciate her character for different reasons, it isn't false to say that she has a lot of meaningful character development.
The problem with Misaka is she is a consistent inconsistent character. All through out the series. Her tomboyish and violent reaction is consistent to her character. She is also consistent on being reset on each arc development.

Look at the first few arcs where she is the one helping others but when the problem reaches her and she can't fix it. She ended up trying to resolve it alone and not asking for help. Sure she preach that its fine to ask for help to others but what about her not asking for help? it happens in s1 anime or railgun. Heck, in sister arc she tried to shoulder the burden alone but still ended up getting helped from Kamijou and people get angry at kamijou for butting in her story. Later in the story it still the same. She's pretty consistent there in a way its actually bad and look half assed in developing. Its like she doesn't learn a thing but its not like you can blame her for not asking for help. She has a pride of level 5. She is strong and confident on herself. Plus she is also nice and kind. Doesn't want others to get hurt because of her. But lecturing others of your own character fault looks bad as a character itself. I'm not sure on the saying with the pot calling the kettle black fits here.

But that's just it.

She is consistent in being inconsistent.

Her character might look developing but it still the same some situation also felt out of no where. Specially in the latest NT with Touma appearing out of no where there without further explanation. That is bad story writing for me.
Old 2014-12-13, 17:56   Link #150
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Specially in the latest NT with Touma appearing out of no where there without further explanation. That is bad story writing for me.
are you sure you read the entirety of the aftermath of the incident
anyways lets take it over here http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...28123&page=145
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Kenju of the Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-13, 18:51   Link #151
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenju of the Right View Post
are you sure you read the entirety of the aftermath of the incident
I read the epilogue. it happen because of "her" but I don't see the connection first of who is having a birthday.

BUT

if you look at it from the perspective of the villain. He just pop out of no where.
Old 2014-12-13, 20:52   Link #152
Fizix
Nitpicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
This is in response to an earlier post by Fizix calling Touma generic:

Sorry, I would like to step in briefly. Touma is my favorite fictional character so I'd like to clarify a few things.

First, let's agree that in order to demonstrate that a character follows a generic archetype you have to prove two things:

1. You need to prove that they have at least a few generic character traits.

2. You need to prove that they have few, if any, unique or rare character traits.

If you can't prove both of these things, then you can't demonstrate that said character follows a generic archetype.

TL;DR…
Response to Fizix
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

One other thing that I want to mention is that Touma has a lot of other aspects to his character which are largely NOT found in most works of fiction. So I'm not really sure I agree with you...?

I also believe that the Magic Side is written very well starting either with volume 13/20 or with NT volume 2, take your pick.

Edit:

And @Fisix: If you haven't read the Railgun Manga, I recommend you try doing that. It's like the Railgun Anime, but without the teen girls social drama dynamic that you criticize, and the second arc of Railgun S which many people on this side of the To aru threads, dislike. Also, what the manga shows about the relationship between them or whatever is very different from what the anime shows because that isn't really canon, while the manga is, and it is largely (or even completely) consistent with the Index novels/anime on those criteria.
I'm sorry but I never called Touma generic, I said he falls into a general archetype, and nothing you've said there disproves that he adheres to an archetype, those things are what make him an example of a good character in spite of adhering to it.

You've just listed his personality traits and reasonings. A character can be a good example of an archetype or adhere to a general archetype, either partly or entirely and still be good or interesting. It fails when they apply to it entirely without reasoning or personality.

Regarding the unique aspects, most characters have that.

Last edited by Fizix; 2014-12-13 at 22:52.
Old 2014-12-13, 21:54   Link #153
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

youre wasting your finger strength Dniv, most of us know how great of a character Touma is,
he might fall into an archtype but far from generic
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Last edited by Kenju of the Right; 2014-12-13 at 22:24.
Kenju of the Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-13, 22:57   Link #154
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizix View Post
I'm sorry but I never called Touma generic, I said he falls into a general archetype, and nothing you've said there disproves that he adheres to an archetype, those things are what make him an example of a good character in spite of adhering to it.

You've just listed his personality traits and reasonings. A character can be a good example of an archetype or adhere to a general archetype, either partly or entirely and still be good or interesting. It fails when they apply to it entirely without reasoning or personality.

Regarding the unique aspects, most characters have that.
I didn't really read the whole conversation context for your post. I also agree that Touma adheres to some preexisting archetype, because all characters do (nowadays anyway).

The point I was trying to make earlier is that while it is true that this character type has been done before, I haven't ever seen that hero character type done in a way that doesn't sound contrived or that actually manages to explains the character's motivations for doing what they do, and why such a character who thinks that way could exist in the first place, and seem like a realistic, rationally thinking human being who isn't just messing around for the heck of it in order to fight the enemy.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 23:15   Link #155
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Happy Saten Day!