Old 2021-10-24, 14:16   Link #141
Tenzen12

That's good enough for me.
Old 2021-10-24, 16:41   Link #142
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
The argument that Macross, as a franchise, needs mecha in order to be Macross is overlooking all the other aspects of the franchise as a whole. There is plenty of other aspects they could focus on while sidelining (not removing entirely) the mecha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but, you are saying tha story of t Macross universe as whole need mecha, but not necessary individual stories in it.
How much do you want to bet one day Macross will eventually head to the magical-(idol)girl (merges with MECHA!) stage with actual magic? Delta is already heading that direction

There are already literal magic being pulled by the use of Fold, in addition to actual gods & demons in the verse. We are getting there folks, be careful what you wish for.

- Tak (You heard it here first!)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2021-10-24 at 22:32.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-25, 00:16   Link #143
magnuskn

Oh, I thought the Fold was just hyperspace with ghosty images.
Old 2021-10-25, 00:30   Link #144
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

TBH Macross 7 already went pass through the "magic barrier" of the franchise, especially anything that involves Protodeviln. It's not a stretch to say that Protodeviln can play villains in DBZ.
Old 2021-10-25, 01:53   Link #145
magnuskn

I would personally have put them more in Power Rangers territory, but, yeah, DBZ also fits. ^^
Old 2021-10-25, 08:21   Link #146
Tak

In the lore, the Protoculture created a series of beings powered by Fold energy as a new type of super-weapon capable of handling warfare in entire star systems. These beings were dubbed the Evahl series, and they were quite comparable to late DBZ characters. Unfortunately, they were corrupted by beings from another dimension that managed to cross into ours, and soon developed a thirst for human souls/consciousness (Yes, if it sounded like W40K, Macross had the idea first). These corrupted beings eventually came to be known as the Protodevlin.

The Protodevlin then took half of the Zentradi fleet with them to form the Supervision Army. What followed is a war that is still ongoing, even after the Protoculture managed to seal (some of) them. Yes, saying the plan backfired is a massive understatement...

Some of Protoculture's engineered not-yet-turned specimen has yet to awaken. One of the most powerful ones was covered in the game, Macross 30.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2021-10-25 at 15:30.
Old 2021-10-25, 10:15   Link #147
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

I wish we could actually get that in a proper entry instead of supplementary materials. And I say this as someone who lives for Tak infodumping, I always learn something new despite owning half of said materials...

Last edited by Matts; 2021-10-25 at 10:15. Reason: Typos galore
Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-29, 06:00   Link #148
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Look, people are still buying Delta mechs. As you can see, mech merchandising is important for the franchise and each major show still needs its signature Mecha to sell.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2021-10-29, 11:46   Link #149
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

And people are still buying Frontier mechs. And also merch. Mostly Sheryl. She has birthday merch yearly.
"As you can see" I own half the merch, so yes, I can see. Delta isn't a hot sell. You can move on now.
Old 2021-10-29, 12:16   Link #150
magnuskn

Geeze, you could at least share pics of that yearly birthday merch for Sheryl, Matts.
Old 2021-10-29, 13:24   Link #151
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

It's harder to get your hands on these overseas (Hungary's taxes are especially bad...), but I keep lurking for a good price. I want the 10th anniversary Red Queen in my Macross collection. We have a Freyja this year with the Banpresto releases, dunno if it'll sell better because of what happens in the movie. It's not very impressive looking, but the Sheryl isn't that great either judging by the photos. But Sheryl and even Ranka have been getting HQ figures for the last couple of years. Delta has been meh. Walküre sells, it's an idol group. That's about it.
Old 2021-10-29, 13:25   Link #152
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
And people are still buying Frontier mechs. And also merch. Mostly Sheryl. She has birthday merch yearly.
"As you can see" I own half the merch, so yes, I can see. Delta isn't a hot sell. You can move on now.
Huh? Are you actually following my point or not? I'm not arguing that Delta, in particular, sell well.

I am continuing my argument about the importance of mecha merchandise from the last page with HirouKeimou as I happened to come across a recent review video of Delta Valkrie consumer.

As you can see from video review above (& others out there), no matter how bad a new Macross show is coughDeltacough, many fans are always excited to buy the new signature plane/mech toys from said new show. That's why it's ridiculous to think that the next Macross major show can just ditch the mechs altogether. Not within forseeable future at least.
Old 2021-10-30, 03:17   Link #153
magnuskn

A Macross show without mecha would be... not Macross, at least for me.
Old 2021-10-30, 10:24   Link #154
Tak

A Macross show without mecha is like me without my pew pew, and that's blasphemy.

- Tak

Old 2021-10-30, 11:07   Link #155
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Damn straight. Mecha is love.
Old 2021-10-31, 12:56   Link #156
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Huh? Are you actually following my point or not? I'm not arguing that Delta, in particular, sell well.

I am continuing my argument about the importance of mecha merchandise from the last page with HirouKeimou as I happened to come across a recent review video of Delta Valkrie consumer.

As you can see from video review above (& others out there), no matter how bad a new Macross show is coughDeltacough, many fans are always excited to buy the new signature plane/mech toys from said new show. That's why it's ridiculous to think that the next Macross major show can just ditch the mechs altogether. Not within forseeable future at least.
Who said anything about ditching mechs? Wtf are you even on about? Also, can you try being less condescending? Try to read next time. Thank you. Fuinell...
Oh and Hirowhatsit is full of shit, excuse me for not listening to a rando on the internet who has no clue about Macross history other thsn hayafre 4evah...
Old 2021-10-31, 13:04   Link #157
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
Who said anything about ditching mechs? Wtf are you even on about? Also, can you try being less condescending? Try to read next time. Thank you. Fuinell...
Why are you keep replying to me? Didn't I say that my video post was meant for HirouKeimou? It's not even meant for you.

How can you not get it yet? Understand the comment first before lashing out. Do you have a very short fuse or something?
Old 2021-10-31, 13:32   Link #158
HirouKeimou

Obelisk ze Tormentor: Honestly, I kind of dropped off the conversation since it's kind of the wrong thread.

Regardless, I never really said there should be absolutely no mecha in Macross. The mecha genre is quite broad, you see. It's just... Macross always uses a variation of a preexisting model and claims it's all new technology; and maybe it is under the hood, but it's not particularly interesting to look at like the same vehicle for like 30+ years. So I was more of saying a Macross with something unique would be intriguing. And maybe they could build more of a story around it and build upon the lore that's in like the chronicles on screen. Have we seen another instance of them testing out new prototypes on screen outside of Plus?

Also, I find it hilarious how Matts is the one complaining about me when this whole discussion started over what Macross could do for future entries to create more interesting stories. Like, it's worth a discussion if Delta is so bad apparently...
HirouKeimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-31, 14:04   Link #159
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
Regardless, I never really said there should be absolutely no mecha in Macross. The mecha genre is quite broad, you see. It's just... Macross always uses a variation of a preexisting model and claims it's all new technology; and maybe it is under the hood, but it's not particularly interesting to look at like the same vehicle for like 30+ years.
First, developing a war machine from the previous/pre-existing ones is realistic & logical.

Second, signature Valkyries from each Macross show look different. Those who said that they look the same might as well say that IRL jet fighter types & IRL tank types all look the same, which is not true. Such comment is ignorant at worst and uninformed at best.

Third, mecha is actually one of the rare things that unify a lot of Macross fans. Almost all of them agree that the Valkyries are cool and a lot of them are willing to buy the toys. You see, unlike story & characters, as long as the mechs are cool and the toys are well-designed, the mechs can do no wrong and will keep making money.
Old 2021-11-01, 12:04   Link #160
Tak

Well this escalated quickly...

- Tak