AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-04-10, 00:47   Link #61
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I kind of liked the twist that Yume wasn't the problem for teamwork. She might become one as her issue with promises will likely cause them issues. But it was a good move to actually have Yume be rather cooperative and active in training. Heck, I'm really glad that she both apologized and opened up to Yomogi a bit. She does have issues, but she understands that.

It surprised me (though it shouldn't) that Yomogi was actually the big issue. Didn't realize how he would absolutely put his part-time job over everything else. It makes sense since he clearly is desperate enough to get as much money as he can so he can pull away from his mother (and presumably his incoming step-father). But I didn't realize that he would turn down training in a giant robot for the sake of it. I suppose it is a natural idea to try and push responsibility to someone else since that's a lot to take on. But, I'm glad that he had Yume actually reaching out. Also glad that he realized the need to take this seriously so that he can save lives.

Anyways, this was a really nice episode. I kind of found it refreshing just having the cast busting out their respective mechs to train with them. Instead of just figuring it out in combat they are actually trying to be prepared for the next fight . Also really makes me nostalgic for watching Power Rangers with the characters having their own mechs that can fight on their own before combining into their larger form.
Old 2021-04-10, 00:50   Link #62
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Ah yes, there are the thighs. See?
I already knew about her. I mean, her character design has been revealed prior to the show .

Anyway, it's okay if those small bits from the show catch the attention of the thirsty otakus & the lowest common denominators. They'll buy the merch and add more profits for Tsuburaya-Trigger to make more Gridman anime .
Old 2021-04-10, 04:05   Link #63
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I already knew about her. I mean, her character design has been revealed prior to the show .

Anyway, it's okay if those small bits from the show catch the attention of the thirsty otakus & the lowest common denominators. They'll buy the merch and add more profits for Tsuburaya-Trigger to make more Gridman anime .

Oh they'll have loads of profits alright. From the Shin-Ultraman movie if nothing else
Old 2021-04-10, 04:29   Link #64
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

So... The Eugenicists are Yomogi's friends who were inviting him to hang out? Or just the glasses guy?

I hope we won't get the "superheroes can't hold a job trope". I mean, it's justified, what with superheroing being both time consuming and full of emergency irregular hours, but it's depressing.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-10, 10:00   Link #65
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

The NEET kinda has it made.

Mujina is... kinda skinny though. I have mixed feelings on this generation of thighs.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-10, 11:00   Link #66
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Oh they'll have loads of profits alright. From the Shin-Ultraman movie if nothing else
As a person who doesn't watch tokusatsu, I'm surprised those shows are still popular. If they are popular. I don't know.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-10, 12:27   Link #67
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
So... The Eugenicists are Yomogi's friends who were inviting him to hang out? Or just the glasses guy?

I hope we won't get the "superheroes can't hold a job trope". I mean, it's justified, what with superheroing being both time consuming and full of emergency irregular hours, but it's depressing.
The glasses guy was Hiroshi Kamiya and I'm pretty sure he wasn't voicing Yomogi's other friends. Unless they just really dramatically transform.

Also the thighs-lady seems to be the only girl while Yomogi's group had two.
Old 2021-04-10, 15:43   Link #68
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

No, Shuga and Nazumi are not the same person.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-10, 17:42   Link #69
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
As a person who doesn't watch tokusatsu, I'm surprised those shows are still popular. If they are popular. I don't know.
This is why you shouldn't say "no fanservice, big problem" to tokusatsu shows (live-action or anime). They are popular, especially the big three hero shows (Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, Ultraman) and Godzilla movies. They have been around for decades without ever relying on titillating fanservice as their main draw.

Look at the current Heisei Kamen Rider. Thanks to their popularity, they were able to make shows constantly every year from 2001 to 2020 (not counting movies & spin offs) and it's still going:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Tokusatsu only need to do 3 things right:
  1. Make cool hero characters/gadgets/robots/monsters which can be made into toys
  2. Make a good story
  3. Make good action

If they execute those three well, merchandises will fly off the shelf = profits.
No flashing boobs, asses or thighs needed.
Old 2021-04-10, 18:14   Link #70
Frontier

Quote:
This is why you shouldn't say "no fanservice, big problem" to tokusatsu shows (live-action or anime). They are popular, especially the big three hero shows (Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, Ultraman) and Godzilla movies. They have been around for decades without ever relying on titillating fanservice as their main draw.

Look at the current Heisei Kamen Rider. Thanks to their popularity, they were able to make shows constantly every year from 2001 to 2020 (not counting movies & spin offs) and it's still going:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Tokusatsu only need to do 3 things right:
  1. Make cool hero characters/gadgets/robots/monsters which can be made into toys
  2. Make a good story
  3. Make good action

If they execute those three well, merchandises will fly off the shelf = profits.
No flashing boobs, asses or thighs needed.
Well...I have seen my fair share of Toku with those elements though. Maybe not as explicit, but still .
Old 2021-04-10, 18:35   Link #71
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

^ Sure but, like I said, it was never their main draw. Not having titillation will not affect whether a Toku show is commercially successful or not.
Old 2021-04-10, 18:37   Link #72
Frontier

Quote:
^ Sure but, like I said, it was never their main draw. Not having titillation will not affect whether a Toku show is commercially successful or not.
Yeah, although in my experience you also have it going both ways with all the pretty boys in Toku for moms to watch with their kids .
Old 2021-04-10, 18:41   Link #73
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Yeah, although in my experience you also have it going both ways with all the pretty boys in Toku for moms to watch with their kids .
Good-looking main cast have been existing in our entertainment since time immemorial. Heck, back during the ancient Egyptian & other civilizations' eras, you need to pick the best-loking men & women to dance in front of your kings. So it's hardly an argument .
Old 2021-04-10, 18:45   Link #74
Frontier

Quote:
Good-looking main cast have been existing in our entertainment since time immemorial. Heck, back during the ancient Egyptian & other civilizations' eras, you need to pick the best-loking men & women to dance in front of your kings. So it's hardly an argument .
Not sure I was even arguing .
Old 2021-04-10, 20:32   Link #75
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Is tokusatsu still tokusatsu when it is anime? I think that's just mecha.

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2021-04-10, 20:57   Link #76
Alchemist007
*Author

Gauma's carrying the cast, hopefully the rest get more fleshed out.
Old 2021-04-10, 21:36   Link #77
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Gauma's carrying the cast, hopefully the rest get more fleshed out.
I'd say that's pretty likely to happen since the second episode was spent almost entirely on fleshing out Yume and Yomogi.
Old 2021-04-10, 21:48   Link #78
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Is tokusatsu still tokusatsu when it is anime? I think that's just mecha.
If an anime is derived from a Tokusatsu show/franchise then it becomes a Toku-anime. Example: Garo anime, Ultraman anime & this Gridman anime. Kamen Rider (non Chibi) anime will also follow soon. It's still mainly within the toku franchises' aesthetics & sensibilities.

Sure, you can add some titillation here and there, but like I said: not the main draw.
Old 2021-04-11, 14:31   Link #79
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
If an anime is derived from a Tokusatsu show/franchise then it becomes a Toku-anime. Example: Garo anime, Ultraman anime & this Gridman anime. Kamen Rider (non Chibi) anime will also follow soon. It's still mainly within the toku franchises' aesthetics & sensibilities.

Sure, you can add some titillation here and there, but like I said: not the main draw.
I couldn't find any site that even uses that term as a genre.
I don't see any difference between this and any other mecha show really, if I did not have knowledge that this was based off a tokusatsu show. Cool gadgets, good characters, and good stories are not something anime can't necessarily have (usually don't though).

Old 2021-04-11, 15:25   Link #80
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I couldn't find any site that even uses that term as a genre.
There is no official or commonly-used term for "serialized Tokusatsu anime" yet coz the rising phenomenon was relatively brand new (started in the 2010s with Garo - The Animation in 2014) and the number of toku-anime are still few & far between for them to be considered a subgenre. When I said "toku-anime", I basically just shortened the "Tokusatsu anime" beacuse, again, no commonly-used term yet.

Quote:
I don't see any difference between this and any other mecha show really, if I did not have knowledge that this was based off a tokusatsu show.
S4.Dynazenon is actually pretty unique for toku-anime coz there is no superhero in the show like S4.Gridman, Garo & Ultraman anime. Instead, the show focuses on one of Gridman's Assist Weapons. If you want a comparison, it's like if Saban makes an animated spin-off of Power Rangers but only featuring the Dragonzord as the hero figure without any costumed superhero present.

Will the entire show feel like a regular Super Robot anime? Well, that's really relative. For me, S4.Dyna already have that unique Gridman feel all over it that other Super Robot shows don't have.

Quote:
Cool gadgets, good characters, and good stories are not something anime can't necessarily have (usually don't though).
I never said that anime can't have cool gadgets, good characters and good stories. I said that most Tokusatsu shows only have to do those three things really well for them to be successful. Not titillation.

Tags
mecha, tokusatsu