AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2017-04-20, 22:48   Link #81
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Wonderful slow moving show. Nice cliffhanger at the end.

I see he's a boxing fan with the moves around his lamp switch, and the GOAT poster on the wall. It'd be nice to see some explanation on why he is one. Other than the fact that he moves around on that light switch to blow off some pent up feelings.

Spoiler for What I think will play out:

Last edited by pagan poor; 2017-04-20 at 23:27.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-20, 23:07   Link #82
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post
I have the same impression
Spoiler for speculation:
Well, I hadn't thought of that...

Spoiler for more speculation:
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-20, 23:24   Link #83
Verso Sciolto
.
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Well, I hadn't thought of that...

Spoiler for more speculation:
How that would be dealt with has been among my primary interests for following this series.

The second paragraph of your
Spoiler for speculative:
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 00:24   Link #84
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post
How that would be dealt with has been among my primary interests for following this series.

The second paragraph of your
Spoiler for speculative:
Spoiler for do I gotta put this in spoiler tags? probably not...:
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 09:08   Link #85
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 28
hah, people on reddit think this is a set up for the anime to go 5cm/s on us. pls. no..
__________________
Aria is the best series EVER. Rewatch Origination with me.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 10:11   Link #86
Boukenxha
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Nice, is it me or did the confession make Kotarou look smooth with the word play

Maybe he did want to say tsukiatte but couldn't finish saying it the first time, or he did turn tsuki (moon) to tsukiatte, considering he was staring at the moon's reflection and thinking some literary quiz... maybe not that impressive to a japanese speaker but I'm a non-speaker

Oh, and consider that was a partial title drop as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Only 3 episodes in and Kotarou already confesses??? That certainly knocked me for a loop. No doubt hearing those girls speculating that Hira was going to confess prompted this sudden surge of boldness on Kotarou's part.

But, damn, I haven't been hit this hard by a cliff hanger in I don't know how long. Will Akane say, "Okay"? Will she say, "No"? Will she say, "Hira asked me to go out with him and I already accepted"? Man, it's going to be painful waiting another whole week to hear her answer! Arrggh!
Well, I'm also speculating at best but I don't think Hira asked her out afterall or if he did she couldn't have accepted.

The girl was on her way home alone, and thinking if she might find our MC there on the chance when she passes the shrine. Shows where her mind was at if nothing else... heehee
Boukenxha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 10:23   Link #87
The One Above God
Kamijou
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: I'm Everywhere
Holy cow, this kid actually confessed. I want to see the next episode now .
__________________

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
The One Above God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 10:52   Link #88
BWTraveller
Azure Dragon reborn
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas
I seriously hope she didn't wind up going for Hira or accepting him if he confessed. Frankly, in anime and manga I've not really seen any relationships that go even slightly well when a person only enters the relationship because they can't say no to all the pressure. Partly this's because this places the pressured individual in a position of extreme weakness, indicating that they could easily be pushed around or just go along with things they don't like because that's what they're "supposed" to do. And partly this's because the person is literally being pushed into the relationship. If you're going out with someone because you feel like you can't say no, it'd be hard to really invest yourself in that relationship. There's all sorts of other feelings like a strange sense of obligation that just screw things up. Seriously, even if we're talking about putting a square peg through a square hole, if you just try to cram it in too quickly you're only going to wind up damaging both.

Besides, even if she looks curiously at Hira a couple of times, it won't work out well if she's already building a crush on another boy, and is always looking at him and seeing his pain; not to mention that I doubt he'd be able to stop himself from trying to do things for her like he did with the potato, which will stab even deeper. Frankly, it doesn't make a difference if she goes out with Hira or not. Either way, Hira will wind up ultimately as the standard archetypal rival, a guy in the same club pursuing the same goals and sharing the same interests insisting that these things make him a better match than someone with completely different interests and goals and associations.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 12:34   Link #89
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boukenxha View Post
Well, I'm also speculating at best but I don't think Hira asked her out afterall or if he did she couldn't have accepted.
I can imagine Akane, sitting at that table, being bombarded by her friends with, "You'll go out with Hira, won't you" with him right there sitting right next to her and, caving under the pressure, not being able to say no.

Quote:
The girl was on her way home alone, and thinking if she might find our MC there on the chance when she passes the shrine. Shows where her mind was at if nothing else... heehee
But she may only be thinking of Kotarou as a friend, and not realize that her feelings are actually romantic. After all, "going out with someone" and "being in love with someone" are not necessarily equivalent, especially at that age. Certainly those girls during the sports festival didn't seem to consider loving, or even liking him, as reason for Akane to date Hira. We don't even know if the idea of being in love has crossed Akane's mind. Her mind has been too full of running to be concerned with such trivial matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
...Either way, Hira will wind up ultimately as the standard archetypal rival, a guy in the same club pursuing the same goals and sharing the same interests insisting that these things make him a better match than someone with completely different interests and goals and associations.
And ultimately, in most cases, Hira would be spot-on. Pursuing the same goals and sharing the same interests would, in the long run, certainly make him a better match. They would have a whole world of things in common that they could talk about, argue about, participate in together, and watch on TV together.

In fact, I wouldn't doubt that Akane and Hira already aspire to go to the same high school and would end up on the same track team again. More quality time for them to share whereas is Kotarou even going to go to high school? If he does, it most likely won't be the same one so, in that respect, Kotarou and Akane's relationship as "lovers" is pretty much doomed to begin with.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 13:35   Link #90
BWTraveller
Azure Dragon reborn
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
And ultimately, in most cases, Hira would be spot-on. Pursuing the same goals and sharing the same interests would, in the long run, certainly make him a better match. They would have a whole world of things in common that they could talk about, argue about, participate in together, and watch on TV together.

In fact, I wouldn't doubt that Akane and Hira already aspire to go to the same high school and would end up on the same track team again. More quality time for them to share whereas is Kotarou even going to go to high school? If he does, it most likely won't be the same one so, in that respect, Kotarou and Akane's relationship as "lovers" is pretty much doomed to begin with.
I'd disagree there. There's not really much evidence that there's anything beyond these similarities so far. I'd agree that, if there was more there, similarities could be a huge benefit, or for that matter a huge hindrance, to their relationship. But the same could be said of severely different characters. Similarities can bring about greater understanding, more frequent interaction, and other benefits, though it can also leave them quickly running out of interesting/new things to say after a while. Dissimilarities can bring about refreshing new perspectives on each person's respective passion and also open up incredible new worlds so long as both care enough to take an interest, but it can also leave either party feeling lost and bewildered as their partner goes on about completely unfamiliar topics, and could result in significant differences in their paths that may pull them apart. The big key is what lies beyond these things. If you have a mutual interest or at least a willingness to try without wishing (s)he was someone else, then with effort and luck it can work wonderfully. But if one isn't interested or has an interest that's more superficial, or if one of the two has trouble really trying because they're always looking at someone else, either relationship would crumble rather easily.

The one thing is that these similarities give a much clearer advantage, even if either one bears little meaning compared to the deeper matters of the heart itself. But because this creates an apparent advantage while not actually making the main character legitimately "wrong" for the heroine, solving the issue of rivalry is simple to write. This creates a rivalry with just the right amount of threat, not too great or too light, while at the same time having all kinds of room for expansion. This's why I believe this sort of character is so often used as a "rival", though not so often as an actual victor in the battle of love.

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2017-04-23 at 10:06. Reason: Attempted to adjust unintended tone...
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 15:37   Link #91
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
blah blah blah
Like everyone else here (myself included), you are entitled to your own opinions. And some of those opinions are certainly good arguments. But, your eternal condescending, "I am right and you are wrong" attitude has become too much for me to bear, so I shan't be engaging in conversations with you any further.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 16:49   Link #92
BWTraveller
Azure Dragon reborn
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Like everyone else here (myself included), you are entitled to your own opinions. And some of those opinions are certainly good arguments. But, your eternal condescending, "I am right and you are wrong" attitude has become too much for me to bear, so I shan't be engaging in conversations with you any further.
I'm terribly sorry. I assure you I NEVER meant to be condescending. In fact, as I said, the things you said can indeed be a part of what makes a great relationship, just like being completely different can. My only intended point was that while this is a very small part of romance, rival characters always superficially disregard everything beyond and declare themselves to be perfect for the love interest because of this, while declaring the hero to be worthless. And the same is true of the people around him, like the girls in Akane's club: they see the star of the club they're all in and think he's the one for her. Without anything more, they really can't beat the true hero, whose completely different interests are most certainly not a disadvantage. This is not to say in any way that all rivals are this simple or this superficial, or that the relationships with people who share such similarities are always superficial. But many rivals share these characteristics, and they often try to use logical reasons like these why they're great for the heroine and the main hero is terrible. And when these traits are used in that way, either as an attempt by a rival to drive away the hero or as a fear the hero feels about her belonging with someone else, it tends to become a minor point on account of what lies beyond the logic.

I seriously didn't mean to direct my comments at you the way I did and suggest that you were "wrong". There is no "right" or "wrong" in this matter, since as I said, the similarity of interests can be a plus or a minus, just like differences can. It's perfectly logical to assume that there would be a better chance for a more solid relationship with such similarities, and I'm quite sure that a lot more strong relationships come from people who are walking the same path in life, like fellow runners or fellow writers, etc. But when a writer and a runner are shown clearly looking mostly at each other, feelings will most likely trump logic.

Additionally, concerning the idea of them going to the same school, for now at least it sounds like she's not trying to choose her school based on its track-and-field team. The only school mentioned is an inconveniently distant school her sister goes to, and it's not big on track and field, it's just big on clubs in general.

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2017-04-23 at 10:16.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-22, 01:15   Link #93
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In a cruel yet beautiful world
Age: 25
I continue to be charmed by this with each episode. I'm honestly shocked that Kotarou asked this early in the game, wow. I can't wait to see where this goes. Especially given their present situation of being able to be open with each other online, but they almost completely lock up in person.
__________________
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-22, 05:56   Link #94
IceHism
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
I find it too cute that they are able to be attracted to each other with so little physical interaction outside of bumping into each other at a restaurant and him finding her potato doll thing for her and making staring at each other. I like the line chats a lot too since those are also cute and relatable. It gives me the feeling like ahh these two must have great chemistry to be able to be so sure of themselves so easily. Like you know, something just clicks though you aren't exactly sure why.

Though I wonder how much of it is physical attraction. I don't see people hook up this easily outside of like online dating or tinder.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-22, 12:01   Link #95
Boukenxha
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
I can imagine Akane, sitting at that table, being bombarded by her friends with, "You'll go out with Hira, won't you" with him right there sitting right next to her and, caving under the pressure, not being able to say no.


But she may only be thinking of Kotarou as a friend, and not realize that her feelings are actually romantic. After all, "going out with someone" and "being in love with someone" are not necessarily equivalent, especially at that age. Certainly those girls during the sports festival didn't seem to consider loving, or even liking him, as reason for Akane to date Hira. We don't even know if the idea of being in love has crossed Akane's mind. Her mind has been too full of running to be concerned with such trivial matters.



And ultimately, in most cases, Hira would be spot-on. Pursuing the same goals and sharing the same interests would, in the long run, certainly make him a better match. They would have a whole world of things in common that they could talk about, argue about, participate in together, and watch on TV together.

In fact, I wouldn't doubt that Akane and Hira already aspire to go to the same high school and would end up on the same track team again. More quality time for them to share whereas is Kotarou even going to go to high school? If he does, it most likely won't be the same one so, in that respect, Kotarou and Akane's relationship as "lovers" is pretty much doomed to begin with.
Hira almost did ask for a date when he was alone with Akane, he backed out for some reason or another perhaps unsure of the timing if it would affect the race performance.

I don't see him attempting again unless Akane and him are alone, though if some chatter on the table had led onto the topic, what you said could be possible. However, I think the greater possibility might be Akane running away from that situation out of embarrassment, she is so easily embarrassed that would she in front of everybody, agree to go out with someone? That Akane who would be embarrassed if someone heard about her whole family's friendly encounter and exchange of greetings with Kotarou's family at a family restaurant?

Well, I guess I just don't see much chemistry of attraction from Akane to Hira outside of a kouhei and (somewhat close) senpai relationship, certainly not more than Akane and Koutaro.
Boukenxha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-22, 12:22   Link #96
Haak
You're dead to me.
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 26
I guess this show just isn't for me. I'll give it one more episode but the slow pace and lack of dialogue is killing me. I only found the other track club girl and the last minute of this episode interesting. The rest just felt like more of the same.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-22, 15:15   Link #97
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boukenxha View Post
Hira almost did ask for a date when he was alone with Akane, he backed out for some reason or another perhaps unsure of the timing if it would affect the race performance.

I don't see him attempting again unless Akane and him are alone, though if some chatter on the table had led onto the topic, what you said could be possible. However, I think the greater possibility might be Akane running away from that situation out of embarrassment, she is so easily embarrassed that would she in front of everybody, agree to go out with someone? That Akane who would be embarrassed if someone heard about her whole family's friendly encounter and exchange of greetings with Kotarou's family at a family restaurant?

Well, I guess I just don't see much chemistry of attraction from Akane to Hira outside of a kouhei and (somewhat close) senpai relationship, certainly not more than Akane and Koutaro.
Although I agree that there isn't much romantic chemistry between Akane and Hira, and that Akane gets very easily embarrassed, that does not necessarily preclude her from agreeing to go out with Hira under certain circumstances, particularly those I outlined in my previous post. We do not know if something happened at that meal, or even afterwards, which might have led Akane to agree to go out with Hira. If something did happened, we can expect it to pop up in a flashback.

Let's face it, there certainly has been enough foreshadowing of an eventual hook up between Akane and Hira so that we should not be surprised if it actually came to pass. We have been fed four separate scenes where the prospect of such a hook up has been broached whereas, as to an Akane and Kotarou hook up, all we've got so far, in answer to her sister's query if it was a text from her boyfriend, is an emphatic "No Way" from Akane. All of this does not bode well for Kotarou if the foreshadowing of events plays a role here.

One of the many things I really like about this series is that nobody in the audience knows what's going to happen next. There are none of the usual posts spoiling the show for anime-only viewers by irate source material enthusiasts, bitching and moaning that the show is an abortion of the manga or light novel (okay, I plead guilty for past offenses) and informing everyone what should happen next according to the source. I am so very glad about this!
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-22, 16:13   Link #98
BWTraveller
Azure Dragon reborn
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Although I agree that there isn't much romantic chemistry between Akane and Hira, and that Akane gets very easily embarrassed, that does not necessarily preclude her from agreeing to go out with Hira under certain circumstances, particularly those I outlined in my previous post. We do not know if something happened at that meal, or even afterwards, which might have led Akane to agree to go out with Hira. If something did happened, we can expect it to pop up in a flashback.

Let's face it, there certainly has been enough foreshadowing of an eventual hook up between Akane and Hira so that we should not be surprised if it actually came to pass. We have been fed four separate scenes where the prospect of such a hook up has been broached whereas, as to an Akane and Kotarou hook up, all we've got so far, in answer to her sister's query if it was a text from her boyfriend, is an emphatic "No Way" from Akane. All of this does not bode well for Kotarou if the foreshadowing of events plays a role here.

One of the many things I really like about this series is that nobody in the audience knows what's going to happen next. There are none of the usual posts spoiling the show for anime-only viewers by irate source material enthusiasts, bitching and moaning that the show is an abortion of the manga or light novel (okay, I plead guilty for past offenses) and informing everyone what should happen next according to the source. I am so very glad about this!
I again would disagree. There's been suggestion of his status as a rival for her love, but I don't see him really being presented as much more. If she does hook up with him, I suspect it will be one of two things. It could be a "going with the flow" sort of thing now where she decides that "well, I don't HATE him and everyone thinks we'd be perfect so..." or something like that, while she continues to look over at Kotarou and notice him all the time as she has been doing until now. Or it could be a temporary rebound hook-up, where she and Korarou have some sort of issue and she either hooks up with Hira or seems to. Either way, I'm fairly certain that Akane and Kotarou are going to be the big pairing throughout this story. And it will then end with either an amicable breakup as they go to different schools or I'm hoping a "maybe ever after" in which implication is given that either they continue into high school and possibly beyond or they MAY continue/renew their relationship.

Thing is, while she has been shown looking at Hira a couple times, and looking serious or uncertain in these cases, these don't really seem all that significant to me. I mean, one time she's looking at him after her friends start pressuring her and insisting on the Akane x Hira ship, and the other time Hira's right there trying to say something while staring seriously at her. Both of these situations will result in some responses beyond a simple conversational look or casual glance. On the other hand, while she's shown pretty much looking at Hira when Hira's talking to her or people are talking about him or other such things, she's shown noticing Kotarou more frequently and easily, and paying more attention to him.

Also, as far as concerns over them having had "little conversation" as some mentioned, I'd say they've probably had more than we know. There seems to be a bit of indication that they talk on LINE a whole lot, one on one, and tend to be very open and smooth and comfortably close in this setting. It's only offline when they're face to face that they start to get butterflies. But even if they're having a little trouble getting properly comfortable with each other, that bond and the chemistry they develop on LINE still carries through.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-23, 13:20   Link #99
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
I'd be shocked if she picked Hira at this point. There has been little if any hint from what we've seen that she would do it.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-23, 14:14   Link #100
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan poor View Post
I'd be shocked if she picked Hira at this point. There has been little if any hint from what we've seen that she would do it.
Let me ask you, were you shocked or surprised that Kotarou confessed at the end of episode 3? I certainly was. If nothing else, that clues me in to the probability that this show will shock or surprise me again (and again) when I least expect it.

If Akane started dating Hira at this point, it probably wouldn't be a matter of choosing him over Kotarou, but, rather, being shoehorned into a relationship by the immense peer pressure brought to bear on her by her friends and members of the track team. It would not be the first time in an anime that someone has been pressured into dating someone else, and it wouldn't be the last time.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anime original, romance, school life, shoujo, slice of life, studio feel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.