Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2018-09-04, 01:08   Link #2061
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post

If Americans think they prefer Trump over Clinton, then Americans showed their true selves.
You are quite right, America doesnt have a left anymore. There is only right and far right, and with each new election cycle the goal post keeps moving further to the right, further eroding the center and left sides. You can thank Mr Reagan for this new trend with his corporate-sponsored catch phrase "Get big government out of our lives".

You are partially wrong as to why Trump got elected though; Hillary really is a very disliked politician, and has been for years. She is also a terrible orator and regurlary comes off as inauthentic. I have met her in person twice and I can tell you from experience that she really doesnt connect with "the commom man". The reason why Trump won is rather simple:

1. There were two horrible candidates but Trump came off as more believable than Hillary. In other words, Hillary was the worse condidate (i am not saying that she would have been worse than Trump as president though)

2. Since the country was forced to choose between two terrible candidates most people didnt bother to vote at all. In fact, only 9% of elegible voters showed up to cast their vote.

3. Most people who voted for Trump did it because of his immigration agenda. As I have been preaching for some time now, this is the sole reason for his high popularity among conservatives.

So yes Vallen, in a way Americans have shown their true colors, but just a small percent of them motivated by Trump's racial agenda.
Old 2018-09-04, 08:17   Link #2062
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Since the country was forced to choose between two terrible candidates most people didnt bother to vote at all. In fact, only 9% of elegible voters showed up to cast their vote.
I have no idea where you got that nine percent figure, but the real figure for 2016 is around 60 percent.

http://www.electproject.org/2016g
Old 2018-09-04, 13:45   Link #2063
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I have no idea where you got that nine percent figure, but the real figure for 2016 is around 60 percent.

http://www.electproject.org/2016g
Nine percent of America selected Trump and Clinton

I admit I forgot about this "little" detail, its been a while after all. Regardless my point is still the same; Trump and Clinton had a chilling effect on potential voters.
Old 2018-09-04, 17:09   Link #2064
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I see. The nine percent referred to the nomination process.

I certainly agree about their popularity. I wrote in June of 2016:

http://www.politicsbythenumbers.org/...to-the-bottom/

And the dynamics heading into the election.

http://www.politicsbythenumbers.org/...e-of-the-race/

This was written on the day Comey released his letter to Congress about the Weiner laptop. Nate Silver at FiveThirtyEight thinks that event probably cost her the election

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-the-election/

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2018-09-04 at 22:44.
Old 2018-09-04, 21:45   Link #2065
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
This was written on the day Comey released his letter to Congress about the Weiner laptop. Nate Silver at FiveThirtyEight thinks that event probably cost her the election

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-the-election/
To this day, Comey is probaly ruing the day that he has not made the choice of making the Russia/Trump campaign Investigation public at the very same time if he was going public with the Weiner laptop.

For me, the decision should have been simple: go public with both or not at all. Until more details were made officially public in the last 2 years, a number of journalists from back then already had the information that Trump campaign people were in touch with the Russians on a regular basis.
Old 2018-09-04, 22:44   Link #2066
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Posted the same link twice above. I've fixed the second entry.
Old 2018-09-05, 12:14   Link #2067
James Rye

So what you guys think about Woodward's new book about Trump and his goonies in the White House? All lies as Trump and co says or the truth told to him by frustrated employees there?
Old 2018-09-05, 13:00   Link #2068
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Of course it's not made up or composed of lies. Bob Woodward is much too serious and dedicated a journalist to write fiction. (I don't know his political leanings these days, but back in the Watergate period Woodward was a Republican. Pairing him with left-leaning Carl Bernstein was a brilliant move.) Moreover what Woodward has written is not that different from other recountings of life inside the Trump White House. We've known for months how aides have attempted to rein him in on a variety of issues. Assassinating Assad was bit more extreme (and by American law, illegal) than most stories but hardly out-of-character for this president.

The incredibly high turnover of staff creates a lot of informed sources no longer in the White House, too.
Old 2018-09-05, 15:37   Link #2069
Toukairin
Banned

Woodward is too methodical to let fly a bunch of lies. Someone yesterday said that those sources are the equivalents to Deep Throat back in the days of Watergate, and you can bet anything that every single quote has been corroborated by well-placed sources. Of course, the cabinet members and ex-lawyer involved here will deny in public, but I would not be surprised one bit if one or more of them are among the sources. For the record, former FBI associate director Mark Felt did not reveal himself to be Deep Throat until 2005, which was 11 years after Nixon died.

When you look at it, remarks from the inner circle and insults against those people match the character of the man. The part about Tillerson (the "f***ing moron" one) has been floating around for a while now. I must say that the part about assassinating Assad was wild, but not totally surprising with his impulsiveness. However, I can't wait to see the fallout from Trump treating Jeff Sessions as a "mentally retarded, dumb southerner". That quote should hurt him a lot more in November.
Old 2018-09-06, 09:54   Link #2070
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Trump tweeted:
TREASON?

Does the so-called “Senior Administration Official” really exist, or is it just the Failing New York Times with another phony source? If the GUTLESS anonymous person does indeed exist, the Times must, for National Security purposes, turn him/her over to government at once!

I’m draining the Swamp, and the Swamp is trying to fight back. Don’t worry, we will win!
The above is a reaction to the OP/ED column in NY Times by anonymous.
Old 2018-09-06, 18:25   Link #2071
Key Board
Carbon

It's damage control, because his press secretary has already called on the official to resign.
Thus, they have unintentionally acknowledged the person to exist

But yes, some newspapers put no effort into properly vetting their sources, and this is suspicious
Old 2018-09-06, 19:02   Link #2072
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The Times knows exactly who the author is and presumably considers this person informed enough to be published. What kind of "vetting" do you think they should do? I don't necessarily believe the entire parade of denials today either. The clear beneficiary of any 25th Amendment talk is Pence. While I don't think the use of "lodestar" points the finger at him (it's known that aides mimic their colleagues' writing and speaking styles to deflect attention or implicate enemies), it could have been someone else in the White House who would prefer Pence to Trump. I'm sure there are quite a few people like that in this Administration. That said, any 25th Amendment action against Trump is a non-starter. The obstacles are too steep, at least a majority of the Cabinet Secretaries plus two-thirds votes in both houses of Congress.

Plus, as Marsha Gessen observes, there isn't much there that we didn't know already.
Old 2018-09-06, 19:06   Link #2073
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I’m draining the Swamp, and the Swamp is trying to fight back. Don’t worry, we will win!
The above is a reaction to the OP/ED column in NY Times by anonymous.
So basically, he's saying he's draining the swamp by hiring people he then calls the swamp? Because this is someone he chose, just like many others he's thrown under the bus.
Old 2018-09-06, 19:11   Link #2074
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Okay I'm curious, assuming this political appointee is real and what he/they are doing is true in actively undermining select administration policies, does this count as treason?
Old 2018-09-06, 22:09   Link #2075
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Okay I'm curious, assuming this political appointee is real and what he/they are doing is true in actively undermining select administration policies, does this count as treason?
Depends. Is it treason to betray the voters, even if betraying the voters is what the government itself wanted to do?

Basically, which is more important, Americans, or the Republican Party?
Old 2018-09-07, 00:25   Link #2076
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

^ We already know what the republicans think. Although, they need to work on their strategy, their deafening silence have made their plans too obvious.
Old 2018-09-07, 02:10   Link #2077
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
^ We already know what the republicans think. Although, they need to work on their strategy, their deafening silence have made their plans too obvious.
What plans? Bring back slavery in all but the name as theorized by a bunch of sociopathic economists so America can enter a new Ancien Regime?
Old 2018-09-07, 05:51   Link #2078
Key Board
Carbon

well..

https://i.imgur.com/lG4ZKi0.png

I suspect that being a corporate slave is synonymous to being a patriotic American to some.
Old 2018-09-07, 09:36   Link #2079
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#United_States

Only one person in the twentieth century was convicted of treason for acts not associated with World War II. Even the Rosenbergs were not charged with treason.

By that standard, writing an op-ed in the New York Times is hardly grounds for being charged with treason. The First Amendment applies here as well. Gary Cohn's swiping of papers off the Resolute Desk seems more egregious but still far short of treason. If anyone has engaged in treasonous behavior among the staff in this White House, it would be the guys at the meeting with the Russians in Trump Tower in June of 2016.
Old 2018-09-07, 17:10   Link #2080
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...56324010663937
Kim Jong Un of North Korea proclaims “unwavering faith in President Trump.” Thank you to Chairman Kim. We will get it done together!
Yep. That's his character witness. Well done.
Closed Thread