AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2017-01-30, 01:03   Link #61
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippus View Post
I DISAGREE TAK (rawr rawr!)
Oh, you and I are going to have a little chat... alone...

And no, thats not a bottle of lotion on the table...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippus View Post
I'd rather he make something brimming with passion
Passion, you will get... I have plenty...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2017-01-30, 01:09   Link #62
Dash_Hunter

So this new tv series for 2018 is a different project than the Superdimension Films' 35th anniversary project, right? because that one is listed for this year even though I couldn't find any more info or what is it exactly.

Anyway, it's weird to see an announcement for a new Macross series so soon after the last one, and even though I really enjoyed half of Delta (well maybe a little bit more) I just hope they get a new director and a new writter, and also please don't make it a direct sequel to Delta, it can be set in the same region or a follow up on the aftermath of the war with Windermere, but I want new characters.
Old 2017-01-30, 01:14   Link #63
Boukenxha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
You are definitely reading it the wrong way. If Delta is successful they would have announced a Delta film or small OVA to go with the anniversary announcement.

The fact is they were never going to abandon Macross as a franchise, no matter how badly Delta was received. But it is telling that any further animation projects involving Delta is now dead, now that they have announce the next show to replace it.

The rights holders are clearly uncomfortable with Delta and isn't willing to let it be the most recent representative of the franchise for 5+ years. Remember that every other Macross TV series had much larger gaps in between. They might even felt that the Delta toys and merchandise would have a lack of long term prospects, and needed them replaced early.

They could simply decide that the new show's idol would be voiced by a veteran instead of a no-name.
Let's hope they are perceiving it that way, which means we might get a better product in the end and more than we bargained for.

Secondly, I really don't mind them going with a seiyuu and a singer that's picked from existing artists pool whether old and new. Maybe we'll be able to get away from having three consecutive female leads in the same mold (not saying Ranka and Freyja are clones of each other)
Old 2017-01-30, 01:58   Link #64
charles883

I hope new series will make Macross fleet travel to other galaxy like Andromeda as all milky way already explored.
Old 2017-01-30, 02:21   Link #65
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
In the long run, Macross has run for about as long as Gundam and has only relatively (discounting adaptions) five or six main series on its roster whereas Gundam is closing in on its... maybe 10-20(?)th installment at this point.

And, in light of this, not every Gundam or even half of its franchise has been genuinely good enough for praise while Macross has been high on its quality with only a little blip occasionally (II, Zero, and now Delta). Gundam has larger reputation for pushing out a series which is notably horrible than Macross in general.
I disagree with the above. Here’s a list of the Gundam shows with reputation according to what most people who have watched it think (though I downplay some rep a bit because some fans view shows like Gundam Wing as a masterpiece due to nostalgia goggles, but common sense says otherwise):
TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
So, as you can see, the majority of them are actually decent and good stuffs with some excellent masterpieces. If Macross can match those numbers, then we’re talking. So, at this point, both franchises are about even considering that half-or-so of Macross outings are OVAs or movies which naturally of higher quality than TV series.

Quote:
People will watch Gundam even if it's horrible if only for the mecha...
Victory Gundam, Gundam Age & Gundam X would like to disagree with you. People have no problem ignoring a Gundam show if they think it’s bad or if they suffered Gundam fatigue (like the case with X). Also, your statement can also be applied to Macros shows, especially toward the fans just who need to watch every show be that following it weekly or postpone it for marathoning later on (I know I do).

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2017-01-30 at 02:33.
Old 2017-01-30, 02:29   Link #66
KongaKonga

who cares if this macross will become another macross 7 or even worse macross II...Its all about money!! money!! money!!..Japanese loves it...more Macross means more merchandise and song=money..even "teribble" macross like Delta sold tons of merchandise..and one more thing Japanese Idol=Japanese Goddess..
Old 2017-01-30, 02:40   Link #67
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I disagree with the above. Here’s a list of the Gundam shows with reputation according to what most people who have watched it think (though I downplay some rep a bit because some fans view shows like Gundam Wing as a masterpiece due to nostalgia goggles, but common sense says otherwise):
TL;DR…

So, as you can see, the majority of them are actually decent and good stuffs with some excellent masterpieces. If Macross can match those numbers, then we’re talking. So, at this point, both franchises are about even considering that half-or-so of Macross outings are OVAs or movies which naturally of higher quality than TV series.

Victory Gundam, Gundam Age & Gundam X would like to disagree with you. People have no problem ignoring a Gundam show if they think it’s bad or if they suffered Gundam fatigue (like the case with X). Also, your statement can also be applied to Macros shows, especially toward the fans just who need to watch every show be that following it weekly or postpone it for marathoning later on (I know I do).
Only problem with your list (credit for your time though) is I said specifically that I'm not talking about any movies or OVA for the series. (Side note: Destiny is a sequel to SEED so it does not count as an individual series within the franchise because sequels and prequels all count as one series in the end, it's all one story.)

And your list kind of proves my original point: Macross has been on the ball of delivering quality TV series for a little while. After all, SDF-1 received genuine praise even though its ending is not as good and Do You Remember Love? following it up only added to its initial reception. Then, of course, 7, which aside from mixed reviews on its plot, people genuinely liked Fire Bomber and its music (even if I disagree) and enjoyed it. Finally, Frontier; and who can deny of all the series Macross has pumped out that Frontier has been of the highest regard period for Macross?

Of the 4 TV series Macross has pumped out, it's all received praise.

And again, in comparison for Gundam which has run for twice as many TV series as Macross, it's a huge win for Macross that only one of their TV series is a blip.
Old 2017-01-30, 02:42   Link #68
D-Joe

Quote:
Yes, and for good reason.
Good but dated reason.
20+ years dated.
Old 2017-01-30, 02:51   Link #69
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Only problem with your list (credit for your time though) is I said specifically that I'm not talking about any movies or OVA for the series. (Side note: Destiny is a sequel to SEED so it does not count as an individual series within the franchise because sequels and prequels all count as one series in the end, it's all one story.)

And your list kind of proves my original point: Macross has been on the ball of delivering quality TV series for a little while. After all, SDF-1 received genuine praise even though its ending is not as good and Do You Remember Love? following it up only added to its initial reception. Then, of course, 7, which aside from mixed reviews on its plot, people genuinely liked Fire Bomber and its music (even if I disagree) and enjoyed it. Finally, Frontier; and who can deny of all the series Macross has pumped out that Frontier has been of the highest regard period for Macross?

Of the 4 TV series Macross has pumped out, it's all received praise.

And again, in comparison for Gundam which has run for twice as many TV series as Macross, it's a huge win for Macross that only one of their TV series is a blip.
TV Percentage-wise, I agree. Though in the OVA department, Gundam spawn more great series than Macross. And I disagree with your statement saying that not even half of Gundam animated outings are good and most of them are horrible. As I've proven with my post above, even if you combine SEED+Destiny as one series (which makes it in Yellow area), Wing+Endless Waltz (Green area), 00 S1+S2+Trailblazer (Green area) & GBF/T (Green area). If we calculate them all, we still get a (very) good majority with a bunch of them being the irreplaceable masterpieces and pioneers in the genre that's worth a ton.
Old 2017-01-30, 02:57   Link #70
Convoy
Knight of Infinity

I'm on the more critical side of meh with Delta, and I hope this new series will bring Macross back to glory.
Old 2017-01-30, 03:11   Link #71
HirouKeimou

Quote:
TV Percentage-wise, I agree. Though in the OVA department, Gundam spawn more great series than Macross. And I disagree with your statement saying that not even half of Gundam animated outings are good and most of them are horrible. As I've proven with my post above, even if you combine SEED+Destiny as one series (which makes it in Yellow area), Wing+Endless Waltz (Green area), 00 S1+S2+Trailblazer (Green area) & GBF/T (Green area). If we calculate them all, we still get a (very) good majority with a bunch of them being the irreplaceable masterpieces and pioneers in the genre that's worth a ton.
Initially we were discussing their TV releases so I don't really count OVA or movies if we're discussing TV releases specifically.

I digress, we're a little off-topic at this point so I'll end it with this: I'm not personally familiar with Gundam (outside of Wing and 00) myself but as of late I have friends on Skype who discuss their feelings on older Gundam TV series' and... yeah, it's not all good. And again, if Macross does follow Gundam on its trend, I'd be genuinely scared of the product it'll come up with.
Old 2017-01-30, 03:31   Link #72
KongaKonga

Guys Guys Guys please stop this Gundam/macross discussion please thanks
Old 2017-01-30, 03:39   Link #73
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_Hunter View Post
So this new tv series for 2018 is a different project than the Superdimension Films' 35th anniversary project, right? because that one is listed for this year even though I couldn't find any more info or what is it exactly.
Most of the early news says that it's related to the upcoming anniversary.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2017-01-30, 03:43   Link #74
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Initially we were discussing their TV releases so I don't really count OVA or movies if we're discussing TV releases specifically.
Then why are you shitting on Gundam franchise in general by saying this?:
Quote:
And, in light of this, not every Gundam or even half of its franchise has been genuinely good enough for praise while Macross has been high on its quality with only a little blip occasionally (II, Zero, and now Delta).
And you brought up Macross II & Zero which are definitely OVAs
Old 2017-01-30, 04:05   Link #75
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Then why are you shitting on Gundam franchise in general by saying this?:
And you brought up Macross II & Zero which are definitely OVAs
They are in parenthesis for a reason, you know. I'm giving examples of negativity in Macross period for general purpose. Notice how Delta is the only blip in said list which is a TV series; and because I'm arguing TV series here, said list should tell you Macross has one over Gundam even if I'm not directly saying so straightly.

The main portions of my arguments here are on TV series. The fact Macross has mainly blips on OVA tell you its TV series shine (besides Delta). And arguably, if you do feel its necessary to talk about OVA, Gundam does win; for movies, Macross again wins (with Do You Remember Love?, Plus' movie edition, and Frontier's two movies knock out all of Gundam in a heartbeat) because all of its movies have been genuinely received positively.

Regardless, I'm not talking about this anymore because it's time we moved on the discussion (because it's a little off-topic for people on here even if this is a genre thing which is related to Macross in general...)

@KongaKonga: We are, and this is a forum, not a Skype chat so we're allowed to discuss this new series with our own additional ideas or theories of why it's coming in general or what it's for. These are theories, and mine is partly added onto the fact people are questioning if the mecha genre is dying; and since this new Macross is announced within less than a year from its prior TV series (no movie/OVA like prior series' in the franchise), it's a red flag that it'll likely be competing in the genre against Gundam for title of the king of the genre (possibly); and it's a speculation that, while there is little information on the new series, holds water right now.
Old 2017-01-30, 04:23   Link #76
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

With how Delta ended with a whimper (nowhere as bad as 7, but that's a really low bar) I don't really know how to react to this. Like, I really really really want it to be good, but the recent track record gives me little faith in that. Another 20-ish forgettable episodes with forgettable characters, forgettable music and forgettable dogfights doesn't sounds appealing.

A bit curious though on how the ridiculous progress is gonna jump forward this time. Last time they've already reached the edges of the galaxy; what's next, Andromeda?
Old 2017-01-30, 05:27   Link #77
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
With how Delta ended with a whimper (nowhere as bad as 7, but that's a really low bar) I don't really know how to react to this. Like, I really really really want it to be good, but the recent track record gives me little faith in that. Another 20-ish forgettable episodes with forgettable characters, forgettable music and forgettable dogfights doesn't sounds appealing.

A bit curious though on how the ridiculous progress is gonna jump forward this time. Last time they've already reached the edges of the galaxy; what's next, Andromeda?
Probably a few years like Macross Plus and Macross Delta.

It would be interesting though if it was concurrent with the events of Macross Delta and going beyond that timeline.

We keep hearing politics and bigger concerns is the reason Federal NUNS can't just send a fleet to the Brisingr cluster thinking it as low priority.

What if there was a crisis that needed their immediate attention instead?
Old 2017-01-30, 05:39   Link #78
charles883

Possibly. After all maybe invasion from other galaxy or old enemies?
Old 2017-01-30, 05:47   Link #79
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
The fact Macross has mainly blips on OVA tell you its TV series shine (besides Delta).
FYI, if you consider Gundam SEED Destiny as bad outing, you should also consider Macross 7 a bad outing at least considering popular opinions. Both have less than good plot and are generally loathed by overseas fans but loved by the Japanese. Destiny even won Anime Grand Prix (an official anime-award in Japan). That would make Macross TV series a 50:50 affair which is no better (or even worse) than what Gundam has .

Quote:
And arguably, if you do feel its necessary to talk about OVA, Gundam does win;
Obviously.

Quote:
for movies, Macross again wins (with Do You Remember Love?, Plus' movie edition, and Frontier's two movies knock out all of Gundam in a heartbeat) because all of its movies have been genuinely received positively.
Haha. Mate, you've just open a Pandora's Box. Why?
TL;DR…

So, Macross lost even in the category that you put much hope in. You want me to continue? Because that will only make Macross looks even worse and I don't like it because I'm a fan who love both Gundam & Macross. But I have to bring this argument whenever someone said Macross is better than Gundam. I was saying both franchises is on even grounds out of good intention, I really do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Probably a few years like Macross Plus and Macross Delta.

It would be interesting though if it was concurrent with the events of Macross Delta and going beyond that timeline.

We keep hearing politics and bigger concerns is the reason Federal NUNS can't just send a fleet to the Brisingr cluster thinking it as low priority.

What if there was a crisis that needed their immediate attention instead?
I really want them to be bold and make a series focusing on the missing Megaroad 1 and other missing fleet & people. How about that? Recast the seiyuus of the old characters if necessary.
Old 2017-01-30, 06:06   Link #80
HirouKeimou

Spoiler for This is off-topic at this point but I'll finish answering it anyway....:

----

And no, I'm not going to continue discussing this now. Not because I agree or disagree with your opinions; I'd simply care less about it and also believe we'll eventually attract mods because people consider this off-topic in this area (not that there is really a Macross/Gundam comparison thread...). So I'm dropping it now.
Closed Thread