AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the Movie 2nd A's - Rating
Perfect 10 16 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 20.31%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 4.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 12.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 6.25%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-03-23, 10:47   Link #481
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Sent you a PM, RD.

Since I'm getting quite a few requests, let me know in your message how you'd like the subtitle file. E-mail, over IM, or some other method.

Hmm... never used a cyberlocker before, but I wonder if I couldn't just upload it to one of them and give the link out... should be one that is free.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 10:53   Link #482
Kaijo
Banned

Okay, let's do this. I uploaded the subtitle file to rapidfileshare. Free to download, just pick the free option. Here's the download link:

http://www.rapidfileshare.net/oxxwgn...3_und.ass.html

Let me know if I missed any awkward sentences, as I tried to edit as little as possible.
Old 2013-03-23, 13:50   Link #483
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

So since I finally put my ideas in order about the movie I guess I could give my review about it.

The movie was… enjoyable. I mean isn’t a perfect movie but this was never a perfect series. As far as the thing goes I believe that the major problem here was time. A 2 hours movie doesn’t have the same run time as a 13 episode series so of course that will hurt the story if they aim for a close replica of it. Happen in the Movie 1st and it happens in this one as well. And there is where all my problems with the movie come from.

The pacing sucks. In the first half hour specially. Everything feels rush, not really important and kind of pointless at times with scenes that just show two characters, doing something, and then jumping in to another scene that has nothing to do with what we just saw. The transitions aren’t nice either because of it and this leaves me an overall sensation of emptiness from the start where some scenes didn’t have the emotional impact they were aiming for or they were too fast for me to grab a hold of it. And that carries over the rest of the movie until the last hour which is, so far, the best part of the movie maybe because is fill with action and emotion.

Now the story itself is too predictable to really be a point I need to mention, not just because I already saw it but also because is really straight forward in the way is being told. If I need to criticize something is that this version doesn’t give me the same feeling of “team work” the series does. I mean by this that everything looks unnecessary expand in the ways of how much the TSAB really gets in to this. Nanoha and Fate are not a part of the case from the start, Chrono being in charge or everything and Lindy doing… pretty much nothing despite the teaser they gave us, those things hurt the way I saw characters and story because some of those elements fell unnecessary and pointless. Even if this was trying to create a more sense of feelings over the Harlaown family’s story with the Book of Darkness, in the end both the movie and the series leave me with the impression they don’t really care that much.

Lack of some supporting cast members… I didn’t mind that much. At no point Graham or the twins were miss as far as I am concern and this proof that the plot holes leave by they not being there were easily fix. Yuuno already had a reduce role in the series so his little role here is not surprise. Chrono was pointless here but then again his small subplot in the series was always kind of disappointing. I never really thought or feel he care about the case and I could never connect with him so we might as well not have his father being kill by the Book of Darkness because that fact never really gets all that important.

About the rest of the cast. While I do like Reinforce moving a little, and being more of a character than in the series where she just appear out of nowhere in the end and is hard to care by that point because she dies in the next chapter. So they did a good job with her and, I am honest here, with Hayate. I just think this time she does care much than before. I really not sure why but I get her a little better. However she is still too much in the side line but her actions by the end aren’t as free as they were in the series and I did like how it were related to Nanoha’s struggle outside and Fate’s actions inside in some level.

The Wolkenritter remain pretty much the same. Signum and Vita are more intense than Shamal and Zafira and, in general, they act really alike in both versions. I find disappointing however that they cut some of the fights where we saw more of their particular nature. Yes, the first battle feel rush, but I didn’t mind it as much as other changes. In the end they are just similar in both versions and I can’t really add much about them that I didn’t already feel.

Fate… I do like her development. I always thought she had too much going on for herself that need it to be address in some way. Now they did do a fine job with her, but the problem is not that they give her too much is more like they didn’t bother to tie things up with the rest. Fate’s character arc could be use to interact with the others and make her part of something else but in the end she ends up like going on her own and, since this is focus too much, kind of makes it obvious that the other characters aren’t give such elements. So to me she is perfectly fine and I don’t think she steals anything, more like the writer is unable to do any effort for others.

Nanoha is, and I have to agree with Nanya here, handle poorly. Her lack of development in the series always bugged me but here she is just not going anywhere. Aside from being still the same intense, cute and strong girl Nanoha doesn’t really changes as a result of this event or at least not in a way I can appreciate but I always consider that this season never focus on Nanoha or bother with giving her anything important to do. Not because she doesn’t do stuff that is important is more because she does this stuff because plot rather than trying to develop better reasons for her as in the first Movie. So here is a poorly done effort with the one that is supposed to be the main character.

However and despite its flaws the movie is enjoyable. The action is nice, the human elements do hold it together and I did care about the resolution and feel the emotions of everyone involve. So even with narrative flaws, questionable execution at times and inevitable changes with the original series I consider this movie a good adaptation of the story. I, by that, give it a 7 (Good)
Old 2013-03-23, 14:07   Link #484
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
At least, that is the only explanation I can come up with, that you have to see them more as people, then as magical killing machines. Because otherwise, giving a guardian knight system emotions doesn't make too much sense, when their only purpose is to attack and gather pages.
Exactly. They're too human.

Moreover, they're too organically random. Three females, one male, three adults, one child, three devices, one deviceless, one shapeshifter, one hates fighting, one hates all of the others, one's code of honor interferes with her duty to gather as many pages as possible, one's compassion interferes with her duty...

They resemble too much four random warriors that someone opportunistically cannibalized to serve as guardians for a book that was being transformed into something that people would want to destroy, and something which also needed hunters.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 15:18   Link #485
fukarming

Finally watch the movie, while I agreed with all the pros and cons Nanya pointed out, i feel they have a reason for that. Unlike the 1st series, where the series have lots of "down time", thus easy to cut off material and make the movie tighter and more exciting, the entire series of A's is quite intense from start to finish. Thus when they need to take out material to fit the movie time, they do the best they can. Like they completely remove Graham and the twins. They also try their best to insert the "awesome" moments from the series. I understand you disapprove of them cutting materials from the series, but consider the rage if they cut the fate's "we are friends" or Nanoha's "akuma" speech. Even now the movie feel rushed as they jump around scenes.

I feel the movie version is trying to make Nanoha weaker than the TV version. Maybe because the fans make too many jokes about Nanoha being a gundam in a girl form?

I do feel completely confuse as to why Reinforce want to kill Nanoha/Fate in the movie.

One thing I like about the movie which nanya did not mention, is the attempt to link Nanoha's fight with Reinforce to Hayate taking control. In the TV version Nanoha's fight is pointless (other than it looks cool), in the movie we see while Nanoha did not hurt reinforce, it shakes the inner realm which wakes up Hayate causing her to take control.

Overall, I think A's is not really suitable to make into a movie. On the other hand, I think if they are trying to make StrikerS into a movie, it should be good because 1. StrikerS had lots of dull moments. 2. it has plenty of holes to get fixed up so the movie version should be a major improvement.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 18:07   Link #486
Dr. Casey

I watched the movie last night and had a great time. Loved those henshin sequences; Sailor Moon might've been dethroned after 20 long years in that area.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 20:47   Link #487
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Saw it, liked it. I'm not as entrenched in the franchise as I used to be but I very much liked this movie. I didn't mind the changes and the last fight scene was pretty awesome. Pretty good adaptation of the TV series
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 21:00   Link #488
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Chrono's lack of development... he had a perfect moment here, and it was setup well with his backstory and him not crying at the funeral.
I found this moment kind of eyeroll-worthy, actually. I know that some children are much more mature than what one would expect from most kids, but... he's three. A toddler with the presence of mind, discipline, sense of duty and honor, etc not to cry over his mother's death? That's not completely outside the realm of possibility, but it's stretching it... in a different story I would find Chrono's backstory to be as poignant as it was intended, but in the context of the Nanoha series it's just another extra reason for the characters to feel a bit plastic and artificial to me. Apparently in the Nanohaverse, a person's age means absolutely nothing when it comes to one's maturity, skill, or placement in the corporate ladder; rare is the elementary school child that doesn't instantly adapt to the supposed horrors of battle, and even three year olds are fuckin' hardcore and infinitely wise beyond their years.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 22:16   Link #489
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I found this moment kind of eyeroll-worthy, actually. I know that some children are much more mature than what one would expect from most kids, but... he's three. A toddler with the presence of mind, discipline, sense of duty and honor, etc not to cry over his mother's death? That's not completely outside the realm of possibility, but it's stretching it... in a different story I would find Chrono's backstory to be as poignant as it was intended, but in the context of the Nanoha series it's just another extra reason for the characters to feel a bit plastic and artificial to me. Apparently in the Nanohaverse, a person's age means absolutely nothing when it comes to one's maturity, skill, or placement in the corporate ladder; rare is the elementary school child that doesn't instantly adapt to the supposed horrors of battle, and even three year olds are fuckin' hardcore and infinitely wise beyond their years.
That's exactly it. I took it to mean he had suppressed his tears and emotions, that he had gone into a sort of shock that he never really got over. I thought it would have made a nice character arc for him, to encounter the thing that took his father and force him to confront his emotions. Him lying to his mother seemed to fit perfectly with that; he thought she might stop him, and/or he wanted it all to himself.

Honestly speaking, I would have preferred Chrono helping Nanoha beat Reinforce, rather than Fate. Or at least attacking Reinforce(and/or the knights earlier) in anger, and perhaps getting beat, before Nanoha gets through to him. There were plenty of ways to go.

At least the series didn't really delve into it, so we didn't expect Chrono to go nuts. We didn't delve into how he felt as a kid, but he did showcase some small amount of malice toward it.

Movie wasted a great opportunity, IMO.
Old 2013-03-23, 22:25   Link #490
Sunder the Gold

Speaking of Chrono and emotions, he actually gets to fight the Wolkenritter personally in Purple Proses' My Little Pony crossover/alternate universe.

He does okay for a bit... and then ends up beating a bound Vita bloody in a fit of rage, before Twilight teleports him away.

Amy comforts him. It is d'aww worthy.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 22:29   Link #491
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

I'm laughing so damn hard.
Old 2013-03-23, 23:02   Link #492
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
Ohhh so that's why there was missing crap... the Lotte twins must not be seen nor Graham's scandal, so remove it and say: Book went berserk on its own, not our faults.
Old 2013-03-24, 03:07   Link #493
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Just finished watching it.

So first, for fans this is just beautiful. While I'm pretty surprised that the sheer amount of action scenes pretty much dominated in numbers over everything else (an impressive feat in a sense >_>), it was still a wonderful experience overall. Snow Rain still got me tearing up immediately when it started playing >_> but heck, crying is definitely appropriate under that circumstances.

I actually don't know how to praise the movie since there doesn't seem to be something definite to talk about. So I'll go with the subjective flaws I find in it instead. Note that I absolutely love the movie despite them though:

1) I really wished we could've seen Lindy actually fighting and holding back the Wolkenritters before Nanoha and Fate arrived. Unfortunately.

2) This is supposed to be Hayate's story, and I really was expecting more Yagami family time than what we've already seen from the anime. Yet Fate has a huge chunk of time dedicated to telling about her resolution with Precia's death. In fact the pattern persisted throughout the entire anime series (I personally think StrikerS absolutely didn't need Fate confronting her demons again, but heck they did it anyway -_-"), so, sigh.

3) No sense of real crisis for Nanoha. They didn't even say mention Excellion Mode's inherent danger, that it was forcing her to fight beyond her limits.

4) Chrono and Yuuno. For Chrono, I'm surprised that they just shove a few second scene about Clyde's encounter with BoD in the past and concluded it so easily. Like seriously... it felt disrespectful to the dead. Even if this is just virtual. For Yuuno, well... this time he didn't even get to move the binds; that Cage Bind was there just in case the defense program decided to move. And it didn't get the chance. >_+ Seriously.

... And pretty much just that. I don't actually agree that Nanoha didn't get any character development, since she didn't even get it in the anime As anyway so why would the movie try to shove in something like that? Though I agree that we never see much of her dark side. Her character developments could be found in the first Nanoha and at the time when she pushed herself too far and got hurt badly, which the latter we never get to see. >_>
Old 2013-03-24, 05:19   Link #494
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craxuan View Post
I don't actually agree that Nanoha didn't get any character development, since she didn't even get it in the anime As anyway so why would the movie try to shove in something like that? Though I agree that we never see much of her dark side. Her character developments could be found in the first Nanoha and at the time when she pushed herself too far and got hurt badly, which the latter we never get to see. >_>
It'd be an improvement? I mean, she's supposed to be the main character after all. Going through a small crisis like, say, being forced to keep secrets from her best friends would make for decent enough character development.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-24, 05:35   Link #495
Mr Coin
Heads or Tails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craxuan View Post
2) This is supposed to be Hayate's story, and I really was expecting more Yagami family time than what we've already seen from the anime. Yet Fate has a huge chunk of time dedicated to telling about her resolution with Precia's death. In fact the pattern persisted throughout the entire anime series (I personally think StrikerS absolutely didn't need Fate confronting her demons again, but heck they did it anyway -_-"), so, sigh.

>
Seriously, The franchise should have named the movies; Fate: The Movie 1st, and Fate: The Movie 2nd A's, if most of the screen time are occupied by Fate.

The plot is very poor, and many important things are left out. I'm not going to point them out because of spoilers.Thought, on the bright side the only few thing I liked about this movie are the actions scenes, the animations, and the transformation sequence. I am having mixed feeling about this so I am giving this movie a 6/10. Tsuzuki really needs major help on his stories, he really sucks at it.

Last edited by Mr Coin; 2013-03-24 at 06:09.
Mr Coin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-24, 06:15   Link #496
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

I wonder why opinions of the movie from here and opinions from MAL are so different.
Old 2013-03-24, 06:42   Link #497
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Some additional stuff to add on my little review:

Positive:

1) Shamal got more action exposure. She actually looked cool for some scenes, although Healing still looks as ridiculous as any other anime/games as usual.
2) Zafira got more action exposure. He used Steel Yoke yay (So he could actually use them like spears; I thought previously that it must emerge from physical material)! But what the heck, they took away the kungfu for sheer strength so I guess that's bad actually...
3) Durandal got an upgrade in visuals, but downgrade in ability (Eternal Coffin was supposed to time/dimensional lock an enemy, if I'm correct? But in the Movie it's just a generic Ice spell)... Wait THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE POSITIVE!

Negative:
1) I really thought it was just me (or my headphone. Or my sound configuration. I had to check to make sure at that time >_>), but apparently the music was really poor. Snow Rain still got me tearing though.
2) Precia. Would be nice if they show her talking to Fate properly, or at least leave some final words with Lynith...
3) Huge logic error. In the Movie, no matter how I look at it, the Wolkenritter and Reinforce stand to lose nothing if they cooperated with the TSAB (I don't want to explain since it would be too long, but those who've seen the canon should know). Reinforce actually had no reason to attack Nanoha and Fate since they already said they only want to talk (and something else, something just irritated me badly with that scene). It's also ridiculous how Nanoha and Fate can't for life tell the Wolkenritter, "you know, you might kill Hayate with your actions" and were interrupted constantly. And why the hell did Vita called Nanoha a demon??? They've already fought and she knew that there's no way the girl would go down with just one hit. It's plain ridiculous. Etc etc.
4) The Yuri reference is stronk. >_> Veeery stronk.
Old 2013-03-24, 06:49   Link #498
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
I wonder why opinions of the movie from here and opinions from MAL are so different.
More Fate fans at MAL, maybe?

And the Nanoha AS forum has always been more critical than most.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-24, 07:03   Link #499
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

I'm not really referring to that. I mean I see a lot of posts going on about how Hayate felt more like the main character in this movie, while it's completely reversed here.

Also I'm still unsure why Reinforce doesn't get mentioned, since she has so much more screen time than her series counterpart. The Nanoha/Reinforce battle was mid-way through the movie, and there was quite a bit of development for Hayate and Reinforce after that point(mostly Reinforce).

I agree Nanoha has nothing in terms of development, but completely disagree with Hayate/Reinforce.

Last edited by Demi.; 2013-03-24 at 07:14.
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-24, 08:02   Link #500
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Demi., I'm going to have to ask this...

What's MAL?

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote