AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2007-09-16, 14:20   Link #181
retardation
phantom loser

kanye west is gonna go platinum again, common went gold, talib kweli sold over 50 000 in his first week (which is good for the current musical climate), the roots tend to have decent sales and are on def jam, nas went gold with his last album, outkast continues to have amazing sales, lupe fiasco was nominated for a grammy. all these artists are on major labels. i'd say there's a lot of good mainstream rap going around.

i don't think hip hop being connected with "gangsta" images and stuff like that really makes any difference. there is good "gangsta" rap where the artists are still trying to use their poetic skills to create interesting stories and relate their thoughts to us (see 2pac, nas, notirious big, jay-z, kool g rap, wu-tang, big l, scarface, etc. etc.) and there is mindless gangsta rap that is not very concerned with substance at all (see 50 cent, young joc). similarly, a lot of conscious hip hop can be uninspired and lacking real substance too (black eyed peas). whether someone is being a gangster, a revolutionary or a fisherman, i think you just have to look at the quality, sincerity and skill level of the music being made.

i'm also in agreement with the argument that popularity of music doesn't indicate its quality. what's popular is definitely dictated by what is given a push in the market and the market is more interested in image than music. for example, that song 'crazy' by gnarles barkley leaked on the internet and i played it for some friends of mine in the car. they didn't care for it at all and especially weren't trying to make note of it or hear more songs from the artists. a few months later that song was all over the radio and all of a sudden everyone loves it, has it as their ringtone and is very interested in the group.
retardation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-16, 15:29   Link #182
kadenza

p.s. im not saying ALL popular music is awesome, rather that being widely appreciated is a prerequisite [for me] to regard a song as truly awesome, and i would also consider how much promotion the song was given as well, if britney sold 2million records 2moro i wouldnt expect her song to be anything special considerng the publicty she gets but if sum unknown artist did it would hav more to say about the quality of theyre music since the records sales would more heavily depend on the quality of the music rather then image.
kadenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-22, 04:19   Link #183
xxxplizit
triple-echhi

Send a message via AIM to xxxplizit Send a message via MSN to xxxplizit Send a message via Yahoo to xxxplizit
I do like Rap. However, I extremely hate uninspired ones, especially what the Rap genre is now.

Rap that gives a message across based on their ideas inspires. Talib, Common, Tupac's "Changes", etc. Rap that shares their "real" stories and experiences deeply allows us to understand the artist deeply. Older Gangsta Rap like NWA's "F*** the Police", various Notorious B.I.G's tracks, and Kanye West's "Big Brother" are examples of that. These were tracks that would never get old as it actually had a meaning to it.

Rap that cookie-cuts the same known topics and over repeats their lyrics or rewords it blows. This exists so much in a lot of crunk and snap music A LOT. Hearing "Ay Bay Bay", "Laffy Taffy", or "Crank Dat" makes me wonder what the bloody hell the media was thinkin. It starts out a fad to the media at first, but becomes forgotten out there to rot.
Old 2007-09-22, 09:19   Link #184
Daughter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxplizit View Post
I do like Rap. However, I extremely hate uninspired ones, especially what the Rap genre is now.

I agree with this post. Quite a bit.

I like the reality of some Rap, especially Tupac's lyrics. But the record labels ruin every kind of music they could get their hands on. I'm sure 50 Cent didn't write his newest album, but actually did want to. Rap currently is repeating phrases over and over. This is not Rap. This is retarded.
Daughter! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-22, 11:53   Link #185
xxxplizit
triple-echhi

Send a message via AIM to xxxplizit Send a message via MSN to xxxplizit Send a message via Yahoo to xxxplizit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop-Punk Sucks View Post
I agree with this post. Quite a bit.

I like the reality of some Rap, especially Tupac's lyrics. But the record labels ruin every kind of music they could get their hands on. I'm sure 50 Cent didn't write his newest album, but actually did want to. Rap currently is repeating phrases over and over. This is not Rap. This is retarded.
And this is what happens when the record industry takes too much control, though the artist and our consumers not exposed to the real roots of rap take responsibility as well.

I remember Chamillionaire saying this to support what I meant about our Rap industry:

"Hip-Hop, crunk music, hyphy music, snap music/Sounds like a nursery rhyme, get a beat and rap to it/Ain't speaking with a purpose, I'ma call it crap music."