AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-01-07, 20:42   Link #661
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
Anyone think the intro sets up the possibility for the story to be cyclical? Like at the end someone's wish resets a lot of things and the story ends as it begins.
Some folks seem to have theorized that so much that they're already taking that as written.

Quote:
Yeah, and what we got was that Unlimited Musket Works!
Why do people almost always call Gates of Babylon images "Unlimted (whatever) Works"? UBW may be more famous, but the two don't look anything alike.

Quote:
Yes, I was immediately reminded of Natsuki too... but I feel that there's a significant difference: Natsuki was angry and getting ready for a fight. Homura _has_ fought and lost. She's clearly a victim, and her current efforts seem to make most sense to me under the assumption that she and Madoka were _very very_ close in the past, made an important promise, and at the moment Homura is trying to prevent Madoka from becoming a magical girl. But not as a solution to her situation, but to protect Madoka from becoming involved.
True, the comparison isn't perfect, but I feel it's a much closer comparison than anything from Nanoha is. I think people keep bringing up Nanoha just because it's a more recent well-known magical girl series.

I like your view on Homura's motivations, although it seems to depend on there already having been some manner of time travel involved. I do agree that her warning to Madoka was truly meant AS a warning to Madoka: "Stay out of this. Live your life. Just be who you are, or you will lose everything that you treasure."
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 20:48   Link #662
Dralha

Nice kickoff to the Winter season.

Strong Nanoha vibes, with an animation style that puts me in mind of Saikano. Great OP and BGM. Interesting architecture/setting. Lots of good weird stuff going on to hook me in.
Old 2011-01-07, 20:55   Link #663
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
That's also what I thought. Plus she has that creepy look, especially her eyes ... even when drawn for promotional art.

From my perspective I thought that by the end there'd be something like 3 conflicting groups, with our protagonists belonging to the well intentioned extremist group or something.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 21:04   Link #664
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Just caught the first episode, and I'm quite liking it. The animation's pretty good and the trippy images were fun. I detected a Nanoha vibe in it as well which I liked. All in all, I have high hopes for this anime.

Also, 2 things. That school of theirs is quite fancy isn't it? Again, when the blond girl came in with the muskets I thought 'Gate of Babylon' and then the image just before it fired made me think 'danmaku' and Touhou for some reason. Is it just me?

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 21:10   Link #665
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
and then the image just before it fired made me think 'danmaku' and Touhou for some reason. Is it just me?
I can see it. Heck, I could see ZUN making a character that used a summoned swarm of muskets to attack.
Old 2011-01-07, 21:20   Link #666
tsunade666

I just finished episode 1. And its really nice and it's really nice that I know who's the staff behind it or it may end up a pretty twisted mahou shoujo for me. Pretty creepy and pretty heavy atmosphere for your typical mahou shoujo and they even said they would make it a happy theme..... nice I don't see that one when the creepy cotton bud butterfly monster with scissor shows up. Then hell bullet by musket! Kyube graze dodge the bullet attack too.

I'm liking this series. A LOT
Old 2011-01-07, 21:33   Link #667
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Too cute to be good?
Yeah, I have the same feeling, scary/creepy, isn't?
But I want her to be bad... very bad... maybe even waifu type bad

I know, I should know better than to marry the crazy, but given I don't do well with boredom...
Old 2011-01-07, 22:08   Link #668
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Sayaka's role in the episode is very confusing and pretty much extraneous.

Madoka could've been by herself and then the SZS OP interrupts and prevents Homura from finishing off Kyube.
Old 2011-01-07, 22:08   Link #669
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Not to bad of a show but it did kick off slow

The mom is not a morning person
Old 2011-01-07, 22:24   Link #670
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing View Post
square faces should go back to the 90's where they belong.
Quoted for truth! Those faces are awful and a very bad design decision
The pencil marks in the eyes also look totally out of place
Somehow doesn't fit in with the generally beautiful backgrounds.

Other than that, Madoka's desing is well done, with those white kneesocks which make for a dangerous zettai ryouiki and the cute twintail. If only this wasn't marred by that awful chunky face

Spoiler for ep. 1 (with screenshots):
Old 2011-01-07, 22:30   Link #671
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
Evil witch Homura [...]
- she summoned those freaky creatures in that dreamworld who ganged up on Madoka and friends[...]
No she didn't. The "witch" she is after and whom Mami mentioned did.
There is also a possibility that Mami set everything herself to distract Homura and appear to save Madoka and Sayaka to gain them to her cause.
Spoiler for A bit more of it:

Last edited by Nina.Wolken; 2011-01-07 at 22:45.
Nina.Wolken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 22:32   Link #672
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Evil witch Homura, the main villain of the show. She's a villain because:...

- she summoned those freaky creatures in that dreamworld who ganged up on Madoka and friends, before they're shot to pieces by Mami's Unlimited Musketworks attack.
She did not! It's rather clear when you watch the scene that she wasn't expecting that to happen then any more than Madoka and Sayaka. She knew what it was (even though we viewers don't yet), but she didn't cause it.

EDIT: Ninja'd, but I stand by my indignant response.
Old 2011-01-07, 22:33   Link #673
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
No she didn't. The "witch" she is after and whom Mami mentioned did.
I got the impression that Mami meant her when she spoke of a witch... anyway, at least she works for the witch then and got the task from her to kill Kyuubee, to prevent any further magical girls from meddling with the witch's plans.
Old 2011-01-07, 22:39   Link #674
tsunade666

I think she just want to stop Kyuube from meeting up with Madoka so her fate wouldn't change. Homura isn't bad.
Old 2011-01-07, 22:42   Link #675
Random Wanderer

Her reaction to the shift into the bizarro world was one of surprise. She was not expecting it. Something else caused it. I don't know how her comment was translated in the version you saw, but I have heard that exact phrase many times in anime, and it often translates as "at a time like this." That freakishness is part what magical girls like her and Mami are supposed to be fighting. Her comment is because it interrupted her at the time when she's trying to chase down Kyubey.

She's an antagonist, that's not in question, but she did not unleash those things on the girls.
Old 2011-01-07, 22:59   Link #676
tsunade666

The enemy as of right now isn't clear yet. And I can't say that she's an antagonist yet just from that. She had her reasons. In the beginning with the bizarre dream world. She is fighting alone. And Maybe she just doesn't want someone close to her get involved.

If you read mentar's post. I agree with him. He pointed out all the points that will lead that Homura isn't all that bad. She is only acting like that because of a reason. Now mami here. What is she doing their? only a coincidence? but I don't saw her as an enemy but what is she doing their to begin with?
Old 2011-01-07, 23:05   Link #677
Random Wanderer

An antagonist is anyone who sets themselves against a protagonist. In the first season of Nanoha, Fate was an antagonist, even though we know she was a mostly-innocent victim. In the first episode of Mai-HiME, Natsuki was an antagonist, although she got over that fairly quickly in the episodes that followed. Having reasons for what you're doing doesn't prevent you from being an antagonist. Nor does being an antagonist prevent you from becoming one of the heroes.

Homura has set herself against the protagonist(s?), and so she is at the moment an antagonist. That doesn't make her an enemy, nor does it make her evil. It is simply a term for the way things are.
Old 2011-01-07, 23:12   Link #678
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
She's an antagonist, that's not in question, but she did not unleash those things on the girls.
We can't say for sure, as we didn't see who summoned those freaky creatures. She would have a good reason to do it: she was hunting down Kyuubee and trying to kill her. Then the other girls appear and save Kyuubee. Homura is annoyed by that and either summons those creatures herself, or asks the witch for support which comes in the form of the creatures, so they deal with the girls and she can continue with her task to kill Kyuubee.
Old 2011-01-07, 23:16   Link #679
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

What she said when those creatures appeared would seem to tell us that she was more annoyed than anything when they appeared.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 23:29   Link #680
Random Wanderer

Quote:
We can't say for sure, as we didn't see who summoned those freaky creatures. She would have a good reason to do it: she was hunting down Kyuubee and trying to kill her. Then the other girls appear and save Kyuubee. Homura is annoyed by that and either summons those creatures herself, or asks the witch for support which comes in the form of the creatures, so they deal with the girls and she can continue with her task to kill Kyuubee.
...You kind of ignored the rest of my post, where I explained how her reaction is not one of someone who was expecting that event.

Tags
despair, hope, madoka magica, magical girl, urobuchi gen