AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2006-08-07, 22:58   Link #1
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

New Evangelion Project: Rebuild of Evangelion [Movies 1 & 2]

ANN link

You can read the original story at Anime News Service.

It'll be interesting to see whether or not this pans out. I'm not a die-hard Eva fan, but if Anno is in fact doing something that involves the Eva franchise + (extensive) new footage, I would most certainly be all over that. Likeable or not, his work is always interesting.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-07, 23:04   Link #2
The Avatar
The Avatar of Death

Hmm, interesting. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing a sequal to the anime that got me into anime.

Oh and Magus who's that in your avatar? She kinda freaks me out.
The Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-07, 23:56   Link #3
kakasensai
Akitsuki San

Hmm this rumors been out there for a long time now... I was quite interested in it to... hmm
kakasensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 00:27   Link #4
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

If the rumors are correct, I'd be quite interested in any new Eva movies.
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 01:18   Link #5
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Hopefully not.

10 years ago Shinseiki Evangelion was a great self-therapeutic project for Anno that helped him crawl out of depression, which is the reason why he personally never returned to it anymore.

For Gainax, though, it's just a cash-cow to milk. Evangelion is Gainax's only profitable project ever, so intellectually I can understand why they would continue beating it, but it's nothing I'm looking forward to. Even if it's something like a "Kotetsu no Girlfriend" movie (which would be fun).
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 01:50   Link #6
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
10 years ago Shinseiki Evangelion was a great self-therapeutic project for Anno that helped him crawl out of depression, which is the reason why he personally never returned to it anymore.

For Gainax, though, it's just a cash-cow to milk. Evangelion is Gainax's only profitable project ever, so intellectually I can understand why they would continue beating it, but it's nothing I'm looking forward to. Even if it's something like a "Kotetsu no Girlfriend" movie (which would be fun).
Sometimes, revisiting old places can be cathartic. No opposition on my side regarding any deep psychological intent that Anno might have if this project were true.

Anyways, I am suprised to hear that EVA is the only Gainax work to make money.. There's Nadia: Secret of Blue Water (1990) which I think definitely should have sustained some volume of sales. It was pretty good. And then there's FLCL (2000), which is a cult hit. And recently there's also Negima. So perhaps you have the wrong information? A studio with its only success being an anime made 10 years ago would have crumbled by now, I'm guessing.

This is also interesting because I think Anno wanted to depart from anime to making live-action movies (hence Cutie Honey) and so this return should be, at least, interesting.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 02:28   Link #7
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

"Good" and "popular" does not equal "profitable". "Evangelion" brand-name is still making money. The projects you named do not.
Old 2006-08-08, 03:00   Link #8
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
"Good" and "popular" does not equal "profitable". "Evangelion" brand-name is still making money. The projects you named do not.
No no, you clearly said in your post that EVA was the ONLY project which Gainax ever made profit off. I'm obviously aware that the EVA brand is still churning money with merchandize until now, but that is different from my point that it is likely that FLCL and Nadia were both profitable projects for Gainax. Whether they still churn money now is not my concern.

Try putting up some stats or some newslink for your claim. I don't see how it's feasible, because I can imagine at least Nadia pulling off a profit -- it was really quite popular. Or you could revise your claim if mistaken.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 04:40   Link #9
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Hiroyuki Yamaga, one of the 4 founders of GAiNAX, has gone on the record to say that Evangelion was the only profitable project the studio ever made.

Quote:
AQ: Aside from Evangelion, what has been your most profitable Anime and your most profitable product.

Mr. Yamaga: There really hasn't been a profitable series besides Evangelion. In fact, That was such an anomaly, it kind of did something strange to Gainax. they didn't know how to deal with it because it was so profitable. In fact, the more interesting the story was, the more money that they put into it, they would lose more and more money. Until then they were hoping that they would get some of the copyright money but until then they were always kind of hungry and then suddenly there was too much food, and they ate too much and they kind of a got a stomach ache. And that is what happened.
http://www.anime-tourist.com/article.php?sid=299

When something is "really quite popular", it doesn't mean that it will bring you a ton of money. The people who make the most off the animation are the producers who funded the project, the tv station that broadcasted it and the distributor who made the DVDs.

The studio itself gets the royalties and maybe a portion of the profits in some cases, if the studio has played its card smart. The animators themselves make a pittance.

So, only when a monster like Evangelion comes, can a studio literally live off it for many years. FLCL and Honneamise may have been a work of genius, but it doesn't put them in the same league as EVA vis-a-vis popularity.
Old 2006-08-08, 06:49   Link #10
redline

Looks like we could be riding the coattails of another big one here folks. Just posted to www.animenewsservice.com :

8-8-06 (7:35AM EDT)---- "Extra Large" Evangelion Scoop In October Newtype
According to information published in the just released September, 2006 Japanese edition of Newtype Magazine, 10 years from the original series telecast their October issue will include an "extra large" scoop on Neon Genesis Evangelion. No details are given but in a teaser preview they ask readers the question "What starts happening?", and invites them to pick the next issue to find out.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 07:19   Link #11
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

LOL

Yeah. Last time they promised the "extra large" scoop, all we got were the 3 PVC figures of the various angels. 8)
Old 2006-08-08, 08:13   Link #12
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I'm still not sure why, when it comes to mentioning GAINAX's best works, Top Wo Nerae! is never mentioned. GAINAX even celebrated its 20th anniversary by releasing Top Wo Nerae! 2, which has been in production since 2003, releasing a high quality 30 minute episode only every 6 to 8 months. Its probably GAINAX's largest animation project.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 12:17   Link #13
Lambda

Whether anything is going to happen with respect to Evangelion is almost irrelevant to me. The overridingly important piece of news here for me is that GAINAX and Anno are hooking up again to make anime. Maybe it will lead GAINAX out of their slump and they'll start making exceptional and groundbreaking stuff again.

(Although having said that, I haven't touched Top Wo Nerae! 2 yet because I don't really like waiting several months between episodes of anything but an out and out comedy, so I'm waiting until it's finished to watch. Well, maybe it is an out and out comedy, but its predecessor certainly wasn't, despite pretending to be at the start, so...)
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 12:26   Link #14
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Don't worry, the last episode, episode 6 of Top!2 will be out at the end of this month, the subs should come in a month or two(hopefully).

And Top!2 has more fan service(in the form of 'Nono') than comedy, but its a solid plot-driven story.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 12:28   Link #15
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
I'm definitely not hoping for anything. I thought I read somewhere recently that Anno was looking for staff for a new project that wasn't EVA related at all. I think ANN may be taking a little freedom in linking that with "updated copyright info." And the Newtype thing is probably another PC game or something to add to Gainax's cash addiction, or some ADV BS like a very expensive "anniversary" set.

Why would Anno wait 10 years to tack on more stuff to EVA?
Old 2006-08-08, 13:14   Link #16
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Merines
Why would Anno wait 10 years to tack on more stuff to EVA?
We don't know, EVA was a very odd anime and it's ending was too disturbing to many people who saw it. A sequal to it would be great, as many fans were awaiting such things.

I guess we'll just have to wait until we get more news.....or rumors.
Old 2006-08-08, 14:17   Link #17
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengemaru
We don't know, EVA was a very odd anime and it's ending was too disturbing to many people who saw it. A sequal to it would be great, as many fans were awaiting such things.

I guess we'll just have to wait until we get more news.....or rumors.
That's why we got End of Evangelion. I've been a part of the EVA online community for years, and it's generally accepted that there is no way to sequelize Evangelion. It'd be A) Shinji's dream world where everything is cool and awesome, or B) post Third Impact where everyone except Shinji and Asuka are dead. A) already has a manga [Angelic Days] and B) would be horribly boring except to S/A pairing fans.
Old 2006-08-08, 15:16   Link #18
Kisuke06
I see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Merines
That's why we got End of Evangelion. I've been a part of the EVA online community for years, and it's generally accepted that there is no way to sequelize Evangelion. It'd be A) Shinji's dream world where everything is cool and awesome, or B) post Third Impact where everyone except Shinji and Asuka are dead. A) already has a manga [Angelic Days] and B) would be horribly boring except to S/A pairing fans.
Well, I have heard some rumors says that it's not going to be a sequel, it would be a new movie that would be a new ending(something that would substitute EoE).

Well, I hope that this is true. I like very much of EVA, and something new with Anno would be very good, IMO.
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-08, 15:24   Link #19
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

I don't know about a new ending, I presonally accepted the first ending. This is how the writer wanted to end his story why did people complain so much about it that forced him to make an alternative ending. And now a third ending......Isn't it getting a bit too much? That's what I think anyway
Old 2006-08-08, 15:30   Link #20
Kisuke06
I see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengemaru
I don't know about a new ending, I presonally accepted the first ending. This is how the writer wanted to end his story why did people complain so much about it that forced him to make an alternative ending. And now a third ending......Isn't it getting a bit too much? That's what I think anyway
That's true, but essentially the end of the TV series and EoE were the same. And this new ending(if it's going to be a new ending)isn't something forced and it is Anno who is going to do it, that's why I got interested.

But let's see what will happen.
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie, remake