AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-30, 16:26   Link #2101
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

In fairness, musouka spoke on the subject of being an "entertaining writer", not of being an "enduring writer." Might I suggest that the secret to being an "enduring writer" is often, in fact, the opposite? If you manage to thoroughly bore your readers, you at least ensure that the act of reading endures, if not the work itself.

What more were skullfaerie fans were supposed to want, though? I personally see nothing missing from this movie.
Old 2011-04-30, 16:32   Link #2102
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
In fairness, musouka spoke on the subject of being an "entertaining writer", not of being an "enduring writer." Might I suggest that the secret to being an "enduring writer" is often, in fact, the opposite? If you manage to thoroughly bore your readers, you at least ensure that the act of reading endures, if not the work itself.
I have no idea what you're talking about, but then, I read Proust and Joyce for fun.

Quote:
What more were skullfaerie fans were supposed to want, though? I personally see nothing missing from this movie.
I think they wanted Sheryl not to be in a coma, and Alto to be in the same room (or dimension) as her.
Old 2011-04-30, 16:48   Link #2103
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Romeo and Juliet are frankly a terrible example. I haven't met anyone who liked that couple in all seriousness. I read the play WISHING they would die for being so ridiculously stupid (and forced me to read their blandness in high school when King Lear was a superior tragedy). Some people even say the play is a cautionary satire instead of a tragic romance.

The only place I like them was that crack Gonzo Anime Romeo x Juliet because they were the OPPOSITE of their play counterparts.
I think that Romeo and Juliet originally is a satire and cautionary tale, but then the romantics got a hold of it, and started to take it seriously which then made the play lose its message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post

I think they wanted Sheryl not to be in a coma, and Alto to be in the same room (or dimension) as her.
I also see nothing with this movie's ending in fact I wish that the movies ending was the one we received for the tv series, instead of the one we got.
Old 2011-04-30, 16:51   Link #2104
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
I have no idea what you're talking about, but then, I read Proust and Joyce for fun.
Ah. Perhaps those are examples of endearing writers, then.

Quote:
In accounting for the diversity of views amongst skullfaerie fans, I think just about the only thing that "we" could possibly have in common as a collective is our desire to see Alto and Sheryl's relationship validated in some way. Whether or not you want to explicitly see Alto and Sheryl find each other, settle down, move into a suburb, raise a family, and buy a pet is largely a matter of individual taste.
Old 2011-04-30, 16:58   Link #2105
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
In accounting for the diversity of views amongst skullfaerie fans, I think just about the only thing that "we" could possibly have in common as a collective is our desire to see Alto and Sheryl's relationship validated in some way. Whether or not you want to explicitly see Alto and Sheryl find each other, settle down, move into a suburb, raise a family, and buy a pet is largely a matter of individual taste.
Ah. So a number of people would still be pleased, even if Sheryl never wakes up and Alto never returns?
Old 2011-04-30, 17:06   Link #2106
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Ah. So a number of people would still be pleased, even if Sheryl never wakes up and Alto never returns?
This may come as some surprise to you, but yes. In fact, I'm fairly certain that there's at least a few skullfaerie fans who would actually prefer that the ending was more explicit in that regard, as well... just so that it would be all the more deliciously tragic, of course.

Some people and their tastes...
Old 2011-04-30, 17:15   Link #2107
musouka

Quote:
I'm perfectly fine with it. Can't speak for other people, but the emotional "climax" for me would be understanding that the feelings are mutual. What happens after that is largely inconsequential, because I believe that love is a wonderful emotion to carry around inside of you even if you can't be together with that particular person at the time, or, well, ever.
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2011-04-30, 17:16   Link #2108
wisteria233

Quote:
Not speaking for other SkullFaeries but I wouldn't mind that at all. I do get sick of seeing too many happy endings in anime.

Besides an ending like that actually fits the setting more.
Old 2011-04-30, 17:20   Link #2109
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
This may come as some surprise to you, but yes. In fact, I'm fairly certain that there's at least a few skullfaerie fans who would actually prefer that the ending was more explicit in that regard, as well... just so that it would be all the more deliciously tragic, of course.

Some people and their tastes...
Yeah, it does come as a surprise, since I've seen no one here express that opinion.

EDIT: Except Wisteria, that is.

FURTHER EDIT: And musouka.

Okay, I stand corrected.
Old 2011-04-30, 18:33   Link #2110
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Not that I should be surprised at being ignored, but I have stated that exact same opinion ever since reading the first spoilers for this movie. Here, you can check it out.

Old 2011-04-30, 19:01   Link #2111
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Not that I should be surprised at being ignored, but I have stated that exact same opinion ever since reading the first spoilers for this movie. Here, you can check it out.
Maybe I should've said "rabidly ecstatic" instead of "pleased" at the idea of Alto MIA and Sheryl in a coma...
Old 2011-04-30, 20:02   Link #2112
Thess

Quote:
Pretty sure that Sheryl wakes up. Considering what Kawamori said in that Animage interview.

I couldn't care less about Alto...

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-04-30, 20:03   Link #2113
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Pretty sure that Sheryl wakes up. Considering what Kawamori said in that Animage interview.

I couldn't care less about Alto...
Which Animage interview?
Old 2011-04-30, 20:05   Link #2114
Thess

Go back some pages baaaaack. I'm kind of lazy now and busy.

Edit:

Start from here from this (damn I want the entire page).

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-04-30, 21:18   Link #2115
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Go back some pages baaaaack. I'm kind of lazy now and busy.

Edit:

Start from here from this (damn I want the entire page).
So...another unverified, unsourced 2ch post?

Again, not saying it's not real, just saying that I have my doubts. Call me paranoid, but after the recent hoaxes about Yoko Kanno and May'n insulting Megumi, and the second novel supposedly ending with Sheryl going off into the galaxy, I'll wait until we get some real confirmation on this one.
Old 2011-04-30, 21:29   Link #2116
Thess

Quote:
So...another unverified, unsourced 2ch post?
The source is macrossworld's kresphy, not 2ch. You could ask him?

And if you notice the first stuff in his transcription from what we got of the scan is word-for-word (the one about the love triangle). Now if someone had bought that Animage is willing to scan the interview whole, please share.

Old 2011-04-30, 21:42   Link #2117
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
The source is macrossworld's kresphy, not 2ch. You could ask him?

And if you notice the first stuff in his transcription from what we got of the scan is word-for-word (the one about the love triangle). Now if someone had bought that Animage is willing to scan the interview whole, please share.
It's originally from 2ch. And to be honest, I'd rather have a scan (or the magazine) myself. Maybe I should add that to my order...just to check...

But Yot-chan, at the very least, I think the interpretation of Sheryl waking up is accurate, because of the song that plays during the credits. May'n's comments on it and on the new version of Diamond Crevasse on her blog also seem to support that.

Spoiler for length:

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-04-30, 22:14   Link #2118
Thess

Do you know the issue?

Old 2011-04-30, 22:18   Link #2119
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Going by the 2ch dates, it should be the May 2011 issue.

Frankly though, I don't want to order the magazine, because it didn't actually change how I view the ending.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-04-30, 22:23   Link #2120
Thess

I will look for it in Amazon... and when it takes my order for my rest of Frontier stuff, I'll add it.

I hate to order Japanese mags since the whole date thing is really confusing. I hope I don't order the wrong one.

Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song