AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > True Tears

Notices

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite True Tears character(s)
Nakagami Shinichiro 77 22.25%
Yuasa Hiromi 179 51.73%
Isurugi Noe 191 55.20%
Ando Aiko 115 33.24%
Nobuse Miyokichi 81 23.41%
Isurugi Jun 77 22.25%
Shinichiro's Mother 28 8.09%
Shinichiro's Father 23 6.65%
Kurobe Tomoyo 22 6.36%
Raigomaru 36 10.40%
Jibeta 42 12.14%
Others 8 2.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-03-30, 13:17   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

True Tears - Favourite Character(s) Poll

Welcome to the True Tears - Favourite Character(s) Poll , the place when you can adorn you favourite characters and support them expressing all of your love!

You can vote for multiple characters all at once in this poll. Your vote is final once you click on the "vote now" tab. You won't be able to comeback and vote a second time for another character. Choose wisely!

The poll is public which means the votes will be visible to everyone!

Thread Rules
  • No campaigning for votes.

Any post with "Vote for…/Do not vote for..." verbiage will be deleted. Discuss why you do or don’t like characters without campaigning for votes.

• Do not insult or harass other members for their choices.
    Please remember: this is for fun. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won’t be tolerated.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It’s great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 13:55   Link #2
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Hiromi, Aiko, and Miyokichi~~

I would have voted for Shinichirou... but, thanks to the later episodes...

The chickens get a space...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 13:57   Link #3
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Shin's mom <3
Old 2008-03-30, 14:01   Link #4
Rembr

Where's the baldie!
Rembr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 14:05   Link #5
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Voted For .. ^.^
Noe...Hiromi...Shin...Aiko...
Miyokichi & Jun^.^
Old 2008-03-30, 14:11   Link #6
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
The chickens get a space...
"Most posts about chickens ever." , said a post in the episode 11 thread. If they got so much space in our discussions why not giving them a little bit of spotlight in the poll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembr View Post
Where's the baldie!
Some characters such as him and the team's captain had too little screentime to be put up there. However, that's the purpose of having an "Others" option.
Old 2008-03-30, 14:13   Link #7
Rembr

Speaking of screentimes, is there one of those charts that shows the screentimes of each characters somewhere?
Rembr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 14:14   Link #8
Theowne
耳をすませば

Well, I voted for Noe and Shin basically because they're the main characters who have undergone a lot of development and I can be sympathetic towards both of them and how they shaped the series and grew. Additionally Noe is one of my favourite characters in a long time so..... I voted for Jun because even if he's a bit of a jerk, he wants to do good, somewhere deep inside that heart of his. Miyokichi is the default opinion, the nice guy with a heart of gold, hard not to like him. Shin's father, though he barely speaks, leaves a favourable opinion on me as well. Finally, Jibeta, for being the second-rate chicken who embraces his "normalcy" with his head up high and teaches us all (including Noe) a great lesson

If we have the chickens though, I thought the father's assistant would get a separate option too. That guy was great.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 14:23   Link #9
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I agree, Jibeta's da chicken...

In addition to Jibeta, of course I voted for Shin and Hiromi. Hiromi was the easy call, but Shin was the best character in the series. The male lead in a romance show is obviously a thankless job - I mean, seeing siscon, lying Jun with more votes makes me wonder just what people have been watching. But there's a reflexive dislike of male leads in series like this. A balanced view reveals an extraordinarily complex character who subverts his emotions behind a wall of duty and responsibility, only to have them escape through his expressions. Shin truly wants to do the right thing, but it somehow always seems to make him do the wrong thing - what a typical teenage frustration. He also suffers to some extent by being too ordinary - he's full of self-doubt, creative but embarrassed by it, kind and selfish simultaneously, and doesn't really understand what makes other people tick. In contrast to a cartoon character as the male lead of Clannad or Kanon (the latter of which series I truly love, BTW) Shin is a layered, real person whose personal dramas are the everyday concerns of normal kids. That makes him a great character in my mind.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2008-03-30 at 15:13.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 15:38   Link #10
vio5555

Honestly I voted for everyone except Tomoyo (simply because she played like no role in the series...):

I disliked Shin a bit towards the end but by tying back his story to mirror his father's and having him do things "more properly" than his father redeems him in my book since Hiromi probably doesn't hate Noe like Shin's mom hated Hiromi's mom.

Hiromi was real; her feelings for Shin were real (as were his for her), and I liked how she finally was able to stand and make him go and resolve his feelings for Noe by the end. She really did manage to get past her "bitterness" and the things that she hates in herself by the end.

Noe was a bit tricky for me. I didn't really see much other than "moe" early on, but by the middle and end I started to like her a lot. She became a complex character whose problems had an immense emotional depth to them and by the end she finds the resolution she needs to fly (walk) away from Shin.

Aiko I would have prefered to have stayed in the side role as an "elder stateman" elucidating upon Hiromi's actions. But by having her jump into the fray she took her chances and was willing to pull out and let Hiromi and Noe resolve the fact that Shin had feelings for the two of them and not Aiko. Either way she gets a solid story and her character was the most similar to girls that age in real life.

Nobuse I was always ambivalent about since I wanted Aiko to eventually go to him and not stay as a 4th wheel on the Shin-mobile but he came through at the end when he ran to Aiko, even though he was a bit clueless (as most guys his age probably are...).

Jun I really disliked early on for what he made everyone do with his pact, but by the end when he starts admitting what he really feels after Hiromi's 3-line speech; he really redeems himself in my book. He goes from villain to being another "Hiromi" in the sense of someone who accepts their feelings and decides not to run away any more, which is how I took her moving out and preparing for the "final battle".

Shin's mother was absolutely awesome. Having everything explained by the last episode with respect to that Hiromi represents her (but she originally hated Hiromi since she thought she represented her own mother) really really makes me like her. She is real and although she is overprotective of Shin; her interactions with Hiromi are what really make her shine as she overcomes her own jealousy of Hiromi's mom.

Shin's father was epic. His answer to Shin in the final episode was perfect to tie in his own past to Shin's present through the parallel. The way he totally took Shin "to task" for thinking Hiromi was his daughter was perfect. Although he probably did things less properly than Shin with respect to Shin's mom and Hiromi's mom, I think he's tried his best to raise Shin in a way that Shin wouldn't make the same "mistake" that he did by not settling things properly.

Raigomaru/Jibeta, I loved their story; as much as I dislike Raigomaru for running away but flying by the end with his resolve, it's definitely Jibeta who stole that story... and I give him props for that. Brave chickens, the both of them are.
vio5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 16:18   Link #11
Razziell22

Noe, Aiko, Jun, Miyokichi and Jibeta
Old 2008-03-30, 17:51   Link #12
golthin

Well, my number one favorite has to be Aiko then followed by Noe and then Hiromi.

Felt sorry for both Aiko and Noe, but more sorry for Noe as she ended alone.

Aiko finally was able to move on from Shin, and even though we are not told if she is dating with Nobuse again, she seems to look forward to seeing him at her store now and her gloomy mood when she was around Nobuse is gone and replaced by the same mood she had when she was around Shin. I hated Nobuse because he caused her to be in a gloomy mood, but now she seems happy with him. I would have liked if we knew for certain, but the writers just wanted to let us know that she now is happy with him regardless if they are dating or they still just friends.

Noe finally got her tears back at the very end, I hate that we couldn't see the signature tears running down the cheek, but I guess they wanted Noe to be special thus why the tears were blown out by the wind.

Hiromi finally was able to realize her dream, the reason she moved in shin's house, to be next to the one she loved. She was the one that suffered the most in this show, having the lie hanging over her head all this time.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 18:34   Link #13
be0wulf
it's friday

Send a message via MSN to be0wulf
Shin started out as a better-than-average male shonen romance anime lead, btu as the series progressed his indecisiveness rendered him just the same as all that came before him. If the name of this anime was School Days, episode 13 would've seen Shin sliced apart by a chicken, courtesy of Noe.

Hiromi was completely unlikeable at the beginning of the series; too much tsun-tsun and not enough dere-dere. She reminded me of the main girl from Myself;Yourself, except this one was not suicidal.

Noe, in my opinion was the stand-out character of the series, at least for the first ten or so episodes. In the beginning, she was eccentric without being pointlessly weird (and cute in a weird way); like Haruhi, except without the God complex. But the writers had to destroy her character in the end, alas. Who knew My Chemical Romance was so popular in Japan?

Aiko, as vio5555 said before me, would've been better utilized as a sounding board for Shin's problems instead of a two-episode love interest/angst inducer. To all the Aiko-shippers out there: I told you so.

Nobuse, personality wise, was the best character in the series. We don't often see characters like him in this type of series; good job on the writers for this. He got his girl in the end, so all's good on the Western Front.

Isurugi Jun, token incest character (again, Myself;l Yourself). His character was written as being cold and calculating at the start of the series, then slowly disintegrated into sappy incest brother. I think I preferred him cold and calculating without the incest part.

Shin's mother's whole "Hiromi is Shin's half-sister; haha I'm lying" subplot was probably the worse part of the anime. Seven episodes wasted, because of a plot device that wasn't even satisfactorily concluded. No reasons given for her lie, nothing.

Shin's dad was really an inconsequential character. I love how the writers gave him the line to conclude the series' theme about True Tears (/sarcasm).

Tomoyo's character was a minor one. Not much to say here, but she totally should've hooked up with Slave-kun. Nice catch if female b-ball players are a fetish for you. No relation to Clannad Tomoyo, I presume.

The chickens...were delicious. I must say, I was shocked when Raigomaru died so early in the series. I was expecting great things from him. But alas, it was not meant to be. The storybook metaphor featuring the two was original, but not done well.

Why isn't Slave-kun on the list? He was more important than Tomoyo, a lot more important. Without him, the Nakagami family bootlegging business would fail! Plus, he's a secret fan/stalker of Hiromi! If this was School Days, he totally would've raped Hiromi at the school festival!

http://www.chunlikickedme.tumblr.com
be0wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 18:47   Link #14
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by be0wulf View Post
Shin's mother's whole "Hiromi is Shin's half-sister; haha I'm lying" subplot was probably the worse part of the anime. Seven episodes wasted, because of a plot device that wasn't even satisfactorily concluded. No reasons given for her lie, nothing.

Shin's dad was really an inconsequential character. I love how the writers gave him the line to conclude the series' theme about True Tears (/sarcasm).
Honestly, how well did you need it spelled out? Did they really need to baby the audience through or assume that we could make our own conjectures about that situation based on Shin's mom's actions?

The reason for her lie was that she was bitter from her own experience in the past where Shin's dad probably wavered between her and Hiromi's mom and that she saw Hiromi's mom through her daughter at first; Shin's dad probably did not do things as properly as he should have, which is why Shin's mom is bitter when he takes Hiromi in...

The reason for the 180-degree change later was probably that after Hiromi's out-of-control behavior in episode 9, Shin's mom began to realize that Hiromi was doing the same things she was doing back in the past, and that Hiromi was actually taking on her own role in the drama that is playing out in the present. This also explains Shin's mom's final line to Hiromi in that she had to do the same kind of wait for Shin's dad to make his decision...

I'm kind of disappointed that you're just dismissing it on face value when there are plenty of possible conjectures that easily explain her behavior and it's left to our imagination exactly what happened in the past that involved Shin's dad wavering between Shin's mom and Hiromi's mom. This is the whole point of Shin's dad's final line in some sense, and that Shin does things more properly than his father at Hiromi's behest.

While it would have been nice to have this confirmed, I assume that some version of the above happened and that everything is consistent because of this kind of interpretation which can be made through the hints dropped at the end.
Old 2008-03-30, 18:51   Link #15
be0wulf
it's friday

Send a message via MSN to be0wulf
Sure, that's one possible interpretation of it, and indeed it's a satisfactory one, but it's more like the writers didn't know where to take that plotline and just wrote it off as "oops, I was joking".

There's a difference between "babying the audience", having satisfactory explanations to plot devices, and plots with more holes than swiss cheese. I'd say this is the latter.

http://www.chunlikickedme.tumblr.com
be0wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 18:57   Link #16
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by be0wulf View Post
Sure, that's one possible interpretation of it, and indeed it's a satisfactory one, but it's more like the writers didn't know where to take that plotline and just wrote it off as "oops, I was joking".

There's a difference between "babying the audience", having satisfactory explanations to plot devices, and plots with more holes than swiss cheese. I'd say this is the latter.
Yeah but it's exactly the opposite for me since they dropped those hints at the end to clear it up. They wrote in the final pieces by having Shin's mom say her lines to Hiromi and Shin's dad say his lines to Shin in episode 13. Those complete the interpretation as well as make it the most likely.

In my opinion that's all they really needed to do; I would have agreed with you before episode 13 that there were holes in the interpretation, but after 13, I see no holes in it since everything is made consistent and that explanation is most likely what they had in mind; that's all they had to do to make us realize what Shin's mom role was in all of this.

Either way I suppose we're just going to disagree on this since you wanted a more complete picture rather than just hints at the end, I'm guessing.
Old 2008-03-30, 18:57   Link #17
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Hiromi and Noe tied at 22 votes each. o.o!

As a Hiromi fan I would opt to vote for Hiromi only...but Noe has some good points too...it was touching when she was trying to pick up the pages of the picture book that Shin is throwing away as paper airplanes. So it's 2 votes...but then again, Jibeta played a good role of symbolising the characters, Shinichiro's mother changed for the better near the end of the series. And Shinichiro's indecisiveness and drama at episode 12 made me like him again as a character.

Meh...I'll just vote ALL, I just goddamn love this series - thanks to P.A Works, Animesuki and the fansubbers (you know who you are) for True Tears!

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2008-03-30 at 21:03.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 18:59   Link #18
ani_d

I always wonder why in harem shows, the pretty boy doesn't always get the girls lol Out of all the guys in this show, Jun is my favourite. Yes, Jun pwns Shin on so many levels. Aside from being a siscon, he's like perfect. He's goodlooking, MVP, drives a motorcycle, has a part-time job, CAN cook (wow), very responsible, very dependable, and cares a whole lot for lil sis. Moving away from Noe was the best ending this show can morally give him. I always feel kind of bad whenever Hiromi treats him so coldly, so hearing him tell her flat "I never loved you" was nice. While it's true Hiromi did have a right to treat him that way, the only support Jun really has in this show was Noe. And I kind of feel sorry for him. You can't really blame him for being a siscon. His world was small. In the end, he got a cool leather jacket and is ready to move on. I was waiting for some sort of plot twist about him not being related to Noe, but I forgot this is True Tears lol
ani_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 19:01   Link #19
Theowne
耳をすませば

@be0wulf, by episode 13 they basically shoved the answer at us, I mean the connection formed between Hiromi and Shin's mom, and the implication from Shin's dad comment and his reaction after is fairly obvious, I think. The only part that wasn't spelled out completely is the change in Shin's mom, but I think that's something we can guess considering what had happened prior to that moment (Hiromi almost dies in an accident). She isn't a main character and we don't hear her thoughts.

Quote:
Hiromi and Noe tied at 22 votes each. o.o!
Jibeta has a higher score than Shin

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 19:03   Link #20
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
I always wonder why in harem shows, the pretty boy doesn't always get the girls lol Out of all the guys in this show, Jun is my favourite. Yes, Jun pwns Shin on so many levels. Aside from being a siscon, he's like perfect. He's goodlooking, MVP, owns a motorcycle, has a part-time job, CAN cook (wow), very responsible, very dependable, and cares a whole lot for lil sis. Moving away from Noe was the best ending this show can morally give him. I always feel kind of bad whenever Hiromi treats him so coldly, so hearing him tell her flat "I never loved you" was nice. While it's true Hiromi did have a right to treat him that way, the only support Jun really has in this show was Noe. And I kind of feel sorry for him. You can't really blame him for being a siscon. His world was small. In the end, he got a cool leather jacket and is ready to move on. I was waiting for some sort of plot twist about him not being related to Noe, but I forgot this is True Tears lol
I was thinking of that, but wasn't Jun really popular at his school? Those basketball chicks from his side seemed to be really into him in a possessive kind of way and hated Hiromi for seemingly having him going out with her. He probably was in some sense the resident "bishie" at his school, but he never really cared for anyone other than Noe or showed interest in any other girls, I guess; heck look at this last lines to Hiromi which are in some ways as harsh as hers were to him in the previous episode...