AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-09-21, 05:28   Link #141
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I don't care if it is considered scientifically factual, but feathered dinosaurs look silly.
Old 2014-09-25, 04:45   Link #142
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Trevorrow really likes to tease the fans with his tweets...

I don't think that was the shadow of a T-Rex, though. The lower jaw looks too thin, more allosaurus-like than tyrannosaurus-like.
Old 2014-10-08, 05:49   Link #143
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

There's (apparently) a dinosaur that eats great white sharks for breakfast.
Uh-uh.

Liopleurodon or Mosasaurus?
Old 2014-10-08, 06:33   Link #144
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Assuming it's true that they indeed made those aquatic dinos ....

It makes you wonder how the hell the scientists got their hands on the blood of such massive marine reptiles. Obviously these "sea dinosaurs" can't be made from scratch, which means they need the blood. Certainly mosquitoes won't and can't suck the blood of animals that swim in the open-ocean. Even if there is one, finding a well-preserved mosquito that trapped in an amber rock is already difficult without counting the factor that it needs to contain dinosaur blood in decent condition. And now they make the odds skyrocketed by the need to find mosquitoes with the blood of prehistoric marine reptiles . *phew*

EDIT:

Btw, here's some bullet-points of what the (rumored) trailer contains:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenrant
  • The trailer opens with tourists traveling by ferryboat to Isla Nublar, where an operational amusement park known as (what else?) “Jurassic World” is located.
  • We get to glimpse some of the dinosaur-based attractions at “Jurassic World”, which include the Gyrosphere mentioned in the park map and brochure props created for the film.
  • A Great White Shark is shown being fed to a large aquatic dinosaur, to the delight of onlooking park guests.
  • Some dinosaur – presumably the confirmed “new dinosaur” engineered by the park’s scientists (which includes Bryce Dallas Howard’s character, who appears briefly in the trailer) – gets loose, resulting in a quick montage of the chaos that ensues.
  • The trailer concludes with Chris Pratt’s character, a dinosaur handler, revealing that he has muzzled (and tamed) Velociraptors, whom he employs to help track down and recapture the renegade creature.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2014-10-08 at 07:03.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 06:54   Link #145
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Actually it's possible to bypass the amber mosquito method, but the alternative technique is extremely expensive, intensive and requires a trove of fossils belonging to the same exact species/breed.

In the Jurassic Park novel, Henry Wu reveals that by grinding dinosaur bones and using the "Loy antibody extraction technique" (I had to look this up because I know Crichton sometimes invented small details to embellish his narrative; Dr. Tom Loy did indeed exist and his work helped inspire the novel's basis), it was possible to extract at least 20% of the proteins contained therein. In other words, it was already possible for InGen to recover 20% of a dinosaur's DNA strand (20% is the number offered in the novel, so it's possible Henry Wu improved Loy's techniques and the actual yield is much lower).

So if you grind enough fossils simultaneously and then compare each resulting gene sequence, it's theoretically possible to rebuild the entirety of the said species' base strand. The rest, well, we already knew what Henry Wu did in order to fill those gaps...and how things turned out in the end.

The amber mosquito thing was actually the quickest and easiest way to get a more or less intact DNA strand (never mind the fact that, in real life, the insect's digestive system should have caused the said DNA to deteriorate, not to mention that time itself would have wreaked havoc on the strand), but it wasn't the only one available.
Old 2014-10-08, 07:04   Link #146
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Actually it's possible to bypass the amber mosquito method, but the alternative technique is extremely expensive, intensive and requires a trove of fossils belonging to the same exact species/breed.

In the Jurassic Park novel, Henry Wu reveals that by grinding dinosaur bones and using the "Loy antibody extraction technique" (I had to look this up because I know Crichton sometimes invented small details to embellish his narrative; Dr. Tom Loy did indeed exist and his work helped inspire the novel's basis), it was possible to extract at least 20% of the proteins contained therein. In other words, it was already possible for InGen to recover 20% of a dinosaur's DNA strand (20% is the number offered in the novel, so it's possible Henry Wu improved Loy's techniques and the actual yield is much lower).

So if you grind enough fossils simultaneously and then compare each resulting gene sequence, it's theoretically possible to rebuild the entirety of the said species' base strand. The rest, well, we already knew what Henry Wu did in order to fill those gaps...and how things turned out in the end.
That process seem to need a helluva resources compared to the land dinos they made with “relative ease” . And to think they did all that effort primarily for tourist attraction is just......
Old 2014-10-08, 09:04   Link #147
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, the Lost World novel does reveal that the so-called "relative ease" was a sham in itself to keep the Jurassic Park visitors spellbound by this hitherto unseen, cutting edge technology. At one point, Ian Malcolm theorized that Hammond's DNA-extracting/growing techniques were as...efficient....as any brand new/avant-garde manufacturing technology, in that initial yields often hovered somewhere near the 1% mark...in other words, 99% of all the embryos InGen tried to grow were doomed to die or fail...which is why Hammond needed an additional island, Isla Sorna, to keep his business running. It is a massive undertaking in itself.

But then again, remember that in TLW the biotech team was so desperate (very low yields + DX disease + trial and error trying to figure out the biology of a resurrected animal) that it resorted to setting the dinosaurs free in Isla Sorna and hope for the best...all for the sake of profit and cutting losses. How far would the JW staff go in order to keep the visitors coming? We already know part of the answer, I'm afraid.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Novel!John Hammond is extremely different from his movie counterpart. He was a greedy old man dead-set on finding a way to monetize this discovery. He had to gain money from the resulting patents somehow or someone else (BioSyn) would do it in his stead.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2014-10-09 at 07:14. Reason: Switched a couple words that weren't in the right order
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-09, 00:33   Link #148
TRAPTRAP
ANIME ADDICT

I love these movies! I hope they do a good job on them. It's a shame we can't get any Jeff Goldblum, though! :P

I have to wonder how good the actors will do? Some of them didn't have the JURASSIC PARK feel to them, just by looking, if you know what I mean?
Old 2014-10-09, 05:57   Link #149
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
in other words, 99% of all the embryos InGen tried to grow were doomed to die or fail...which is why Hammond needed an additional island, Isla Sorna, to keep his business running. It is a massive undertaking in itself.
That was why there was very few sources of anti-dinosaur lethal weapons on the island in the first book. The dinosaurs that survived were too valuable, and as such it is almost not worth killing a dinosaur to save a worker's life. Hence novel Hammond refused to finance a decent armoury.
Old 2014-10-17, 13:50   Link #150
jaykowalski

Yeah, Jurassic Park - the most amazing movie of the childhood
Hope it will be good.
jaykowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-17, 13:49   Link #151
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

New JP-centric Lego lineup might give us an idea of what the D-Rex will look like. (warning: possible spoilers)

EDIT: "Official" website of Masrani Global, the construction company behind the Jurassic World park.
And according to this article, a familiar face from the original JP movie will return.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Renegade334; 2014-11-18 at 12:32.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-23, 12:52   Link #152
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-11-24, 02:20   Link #153
solidvanz
Special Operative

Jurassic World Brochure & Isla Nublar Map Photos Leaked Online!

Jurassic World sponsored by FedEx, Coca-Cola, Samsung, Starbucks & American Airlines: http://www.scified.com/site/jurassic...-leaked-online
Old 2014-11-24, 06:00   Link #154
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

With a film like this you know there is alot that can go wrong with it but i get the feeling it will deliver.

I'm utterly hyped for this cause Jurassic Park is one of my favorite childhood films.

It has freaking dinosaurs in it how could any kid back then not like it?!

oh and also nice to see that iconic poster back
Old 2014-11-24, 07:46   Link #155
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidvanz View Post
Jurassic World Brochure & Isla Nublar Map Photos Leaked Online!

Jurassic World sponsored by FedEx, Coca-Cola, Samsung, Starbucks & American Airlines: http://www.scified.com/site/jurassic...-leaked-online
God I want one of those brochures
Old 2014-11-24, 13:13   Link #156
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I like the part where it says "PLEASE do not etc etc" because you know some jackhole is going to do exactly those things.

Endless "Chomp" Soul
Old 2014-11-25, 09:57   Link #157
Ulic

Quote:
New JP-centric Lego lineup might give us an idea of what the D-Rex will look like. (warning: possible spoilers)

EDIT: "Official" website of Masrani Global, the construction company behind the Jurassic World park.
And according to this article, a familiar face from the original JP movie will return.
Spoiler:
I like how the "official" site even has a careers page where you can send an application and everything. I'm almost tempted to make an application myself
Ulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-25, 13:26   Link #158
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Yep. Deep Blue Sea + Jurassic Park = Jurassic World. QED.
Old 2014-11-25, 13:33   Link #159
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Raptors as hunting dogs!? Oh my!
Old 2014-11-25, 13:51   Link #160
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

"Seek, Fido, Seek!" XD

Well, I'm not that surprised about this development since we already know that Hollywood producers and scriptwriters have been toying with the idea of tamed raptors for a while already, although the original novel implies that these animals are only tamable while they're still infants/juveniles, but once they hit puberty, their instincts take over and they become pure killing machines driven to hunt anything not of their own species.

The official website is also live.