One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Episode 12 is out by Eclipse/gg!!

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 14:51   Link #762
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Praise and free intarwebs for Eclipse/gg .... a fangroup that I've never found reason to lose confidence in.
Old 2007-05-24, 16:28   Link #763
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It really doesn't exist.... mostly a jaded hive of villany and scum
That's why I'll never join.

Just finished ep 11... This series makes me feel all giddy and happy inside... The story is not very believable, but Manabi Straight still works for me, as it seems the main focus of the story is to install hope and happiness within its viewers... I'm probably being too sappy here.

Momo is always there to provide a little something extra special to the series - she's such a great character. This episode, she didn't do anything really crazy (like she did with the candles last episode. have I mentioned she's a riot?) but she still definitely had her place in the ep with the fireworks and the band, not to mention giving Manabi that subtle push to go up and admit how uber she is.

One of the band members reminds me of Nina Wang from Mai-Otome... it's the hair and her bored expression!

Arara, almost forgot to mention... I love the way Eclipse/gg did the karaoke during the song the band sings. Cherry blossoms, huzzah!

Last edited by Risaa; 2007-05-24 at 18:36. Reason: A~aaa~ Seioooou~
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 17:21   Link #764
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

Megatokyo exists! As a fan of Black Lagoon, I really don't mind dens of villainy and ... er... scummery...

I can't wait to see what episode 12 is. I thought Manabi Straight ended at episode 11. It sure looked like an ending to me...
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 19:27   Link #765
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post

Wow and I just got through watching episode 08 to 11 in a row. Well I've seen them before along with 12, but that was raw. In any case over all this has definitely been one of the better series I've seen. This mini-marathon was a good reminder. *Must watch 12 sometime soon hopefully*
Old 2007-05-25, 01:29   Link #766
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post

NOOOO!!! THIS SERIES SHALL NOT BE OVER!!! Well... time to reflect on this anime. Personally I feel that the last episode was rather rushed, 2+ years jumped in 1 episode, then the mini epilogue was rushed itself too. I overall enjoyed this series too much to let it end in such a fashion like that, just like Futakoi Alternative. End and end, I loved the series.

I DEMAND A SECOND SEASON!!

Will be watching toward the future for a Second Season, if it may ever come.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 06:20   Link #767
godraziert

Only at Episode 5 of the series so far, but the school song keeps playing in my head even when I'm not watching. I could figure out most of it, but a few phrases here and there still eludes me, so I was just wondering if anyone has an english translation of the lyrics

Spoiler for Lyrics:
Old 2007-05-25, 07:54   Link #768
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 12

Finally, an episode I wasn't disappointed with. This series started and ended well, but the middle was just so disappointing. I get the impression with this ep that this show thought it was a lot better than it actually was. Nonetheless, it's a decent note for the series to end on. Makes me wonder what the point of the DVD extra will be, since as far as I can see, everything is pretty much wrapped up.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 12:08   Link #769
Lost

Thumbs up "Mina, daisuki!"

Episode 10

I have been released without penalty thanks to super-regulatory measures. Gawd we need more Momo. And I'm happy to say that I think we got a healthy dose of her in this episode.

I think this episode has a moral theme that Manabi successfully shows, and it is that : It is not the buildings or facility (and god forbid Old Clock towers and their fairies) that make a school, or a school's experience; it is the people, students and teachers alike, that make the school. Buildings are replaceable, but that spirit of camaraderie and friendship, when aroused, are indispensable because they contribute to good memories. I think this was all aptly wrapped up by Mikan bringing up the fact that this renovation work was all like a school fair — it's not the booths, not the flyers, nor the activities that make a school fair, it's the spirit in its volunteers. "From friends to buddies" indeed.

Episode 11

Heh I like how the episode start all official with the Secretary's log. I couldn't help but smile at the way they stared at the Seioh Welcome sign and asked one another if this was really happening; ending in them spending the night on the school grounds. It really gave me that overwhelming feeling of finally seeing come to fruition something that you've work very hard for and placed all your hopes on; something I'm sure all of us would have the privilege of experiencing before IRL. These girls "put out their lives" to make all this come to being; and here it was, finally before them. They won back their school fair.

Kudos to the animation which brought the school fair to life. I especially enjoyed the main feature, which was obviously the band playing their own song and later, their and Manabi's rendition of the school song. And the idea of Mu-chi being security (Ten-chu!!) was priceless. I LOL'ed at "Go home. You have now been expelled from this fair by the special authority of the Student Council President!"

I like how that particular scene with Takako seeing the fair reflected in Manabi's eyes came full circle in this episode; with her inspiring the rest of them at Student Council HQ to see their fruits with their mind's eye. I think the underlying moral of all this was : There doesn’t have to be a meaning to have fun, now, does there? What's more, fun that only a student can experience; that only can be part of the Gakuen experience. This episode ended beautifully, and I can only say the Manabi deserved all of it.

Episode 12

Gosh. This is the kind of episode that just leaves one with a warm fuzzy feeling in the heart. Graduation in bloom of sakura petals. Dreams and ambitions for the future. A promise never to be apart. And an almost tearful, hopeful departure. I can't say more really, everything came to a wonderful close; with the school fair out of the way, the real issues could be touched on. Mikan's feelings were brought to bear, and we find that this whole experience with Manabi changed her in motivating her to take the lead in her own life. What was reflected upon during the school fair, about carrying memories on, came into effect. A great episode, one that had me smiling and wishing for the character's good futures by the end.

Also, I have an idea for the second season. It should be named Gakuen Utopia Mikan Straight. And yes, it should take place in Angko— I mean, Oregon.

FIN

Final thoughts. First I'd like to thank the people at Eclipse and gg who put worked to present this gem, their good-looking efforts in effect polishing it, emphasising and complementing it's beauty.

Looking back, it's incredible how this whole story has been based on the simplest concept of Massugu, Go! which I took to understand stood for truly enjoying oneself, having a good and happy life forming bonds and enjoying relationships with friends, not just in school but elsewhere in life. Along the way, obstacles popped-up to challenge Manabi on that ideology, namely, (1) apathy and (2) trying to find meaning for fun; but Manabi nicked all that in the butt by turning friends into buddies, and showing that there need not be meaning for fun, but rather finding meaning in fun, in addition to carrying away cherished memories for life.

Much credit goes to the seiyuus involved in the show, but especially Manabi-chan's. I've never had occasional at all to complain of the work they have done, but I guess I realised, after all this time of not hearing Manabi, the wonderful job that her seiyuu in particular was doing in bringing the character of Manabi to life. I mean, all of Manabi's groans, exclamations, sighs, intonations; her voice at times carried so much hope and expressiveness, especially in the when she had to impersonate the Clock Fairy, all single-handedly cleared by the wonderful Yui Horie. I applaud her successful effort wholeheartedly.

Also I want to state that although Manabi is the foremost character in this show, I feel that this show's true main character is really Mika-chin. Everything has been for her good, and she appears at key-moments, as in her reflection on the grass in episode 11, and her sad "inferiority-complex" (if I could call it that) in episode 12. I think she affords a sort of more down to earth connection with us viewers.

Well, that's it I guess. I love this show, because while the humour was awesome and there were moments where one could laugh out loud, this one was at the same time an extremely touching show with involving, meaningful and relevant to real-life themes. Embodies what we love Anime for, doesn't it? I'll be taking the memory of this show a long way in my life; along with it's lovely school song.

Bye-Bye~!

p.s. There are some wonderful avas of Manabi and Co. to be made from this 3 episodes. I'll try some of them on Monday.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 12:19   Link #770
relentlessflame

*Administrator

By the way, for the people wondering about that 13th episode, October 10th is the day. Yes, October. But yeah, it is coming, so don't say your final goodbyes just yet.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 12:22   Link #771
Lost

That's nice to hear, but I won't be around to enjoy it, sadly.

moar Momo!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 12:31   Link #772
Maritime
Oceanic

I've just re-watched episode eleven while waiting for episode twelve to download and I'm glad that they've injected some comedy back into the show, Mu-chi's Half Nelson Suplex (I nearly called it as a German Suplex but if you pause it at 08:59 you'll see that Mu's arms aren't around the waist, quite an achievement for a High School Girl I must say) and Manabi's headbutt being my particular favorites. The musical number was particularly well animated too, I was especially glad to see the guitarists actually using the effects pedals which was a nice, albeit rare, touch.

Last edited by Maritime; 2007-05-25 at 21:46.
Maritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 01:27   Link #773
Skane
Anime Snark

Thumbs up

Brief Thoughts on Ep10:
---- ----

Another dosage of sentimental sappiness. GUMS contains a lot of "romanticised/idealised" scenarios which, if you were to analyse "realistically/cynically", will not hold water in the real world.

If you dispense with such formalities though, then what you will experience is a very heart-warming "fairytale", and a very moving one at that. High points of this episode would be the closing of the circle between the Principal and Manabi, the "blessing in disguise" of the clock tower's destruction, the fruits of their earlier bonding with the school clubs, etc...

By all accounts, I should be gagging from the over-dosage of saccharine and not going misty-eyed from the overbearing sweetness, but as I said, one needs to approach this anime with the right mindset. Just like watching ARIA without expecting to see missiles and explosions.

Mikan also continues to seal her role as the main point of view in this anime.

Cheers.
Old 2007-06-01, 16:12   Link #774
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

I've been reluctant to watch the last ep because I knew it... I *knew* it'd be really happy-sappy and that I'd get wet eyes and a wiggly lip because of it...

All in all, it really was the best ending this series could've had - it definitely showed a lot of character growth for Mikan, in particular. Mei shed some light on Momo's family and fortune (lol@the socks bit... I have to wonder about my socks now. ), and it's nice seeing that the girls all have plans for their futures that really compliment their personalities.

Spoiler for Random bits:

It's been so long between releases that I need to rewatch the whole thing in one or two runs if I want to reflect on the series overall...

Massugu Go!
Old 2007-06-01, 20:07   Link #775
Skane
Anime Snark

Thumbs up

The ending of GUMS kinda reminded me of a lot of anime (like Azumanga Daioh) where you wish it continued, but knew that if it did, a lot of the magic would be lost. A chapter has been closed, and that is it.

That said, it was wonderful to see Mika (using her passport name here) change into what she is later on in the future. The parallels between the blackboards and her train-trip to Manabi's train-trip in Ep01 is not lost on me either.

The meeting of her friends at the train-track? That was foreshadowed in an earlier episode as well, as is the OP being the future.

To put it simply, the circle is complete.

My only grouse is that they did not show why there was a scene of adult Manabi standing in a water-logged building in the 4th PV.

Cheers.
Old 2007-06-02, 07:11   Link #776
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
My only grouse is that they did not show why there was a scene of adult Manabi standing in a water-logged building in the 4th PV.

Cheers.
dam trick to attract attention i guess
and to think we wasted all that blood and sweat on a topic that wasnt explained in the end *grumbles >.<*

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 09:28   Link #777
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
dam trick to attract attention i guess
and to think we wasted all that blood and sweat on a topic that wasnt explained in the end *grumbles >.<*
You never know... there's still the OVA episode to come...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 00:31   Link #778
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

I read through the first ten pages of this thread, then the last ten... there used to be so much hype about each episode... a lot of the love has been lost.

Anyways, I scanned six images from the little Manabi Straight Character Book that came with May's issue of Dengeki Daioh. Sorry about the poor scan quality and any reposts... I only checked the last 10 pages. There is a Photobucket link for those of you having trouble with Imageshack. Spoil'd for ease of skippingness.

Spoiler for Manabi Straight Images:
Old 2007-06-03, 00:44   Link #779
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't suppose you have a bigger scan of that one with Mei serving curry rice at the roach wagon?
Finding ones of Mei smiling are rare...

I think the problem with the thread was a combination of delays during fansubbing (steam is always lost when that happens) and the issue that people liked the show but there just wasn't much to say as it rolled to the end (clear and unambiguous). Kind of like Hidamari Sketch..... its great but there's just not a lot of discussion generated over it.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-06-03 at 02:18.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-05, 05:23   Link #780
godraziert

Spoiler for Attempt at translation of School Song . . .:

Tags
comedy, drama, school life, seinen, ufotable