AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-10-12, 14:37   Link #1
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

War Hammer 40k

You know every time I make a thread in gerneral chat theirs one allready made and I eather acidentaly looked it over or its so far back im to lazy to find it so im probably going to get in troble again (^^)

Any how this is where im going to ask if any one here plays WH40k (the models,comp games, reads the books, ect.)?

I do it all except cosplay not that I wouldent.

I play necrons, tau, chaos, space marines, and nids in the modele game.

Ill say more when I gets some responses (^^).
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 15:19   Link #2
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Sorry, don't do Warhammer 40k (well, regular tabletop either), just the Warhammer MMO that's coming out lol

Sowwy!

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 15:24   Link #3
JOJOS'STAR
Ero~Kairin! ^-^ Yeay!
*Graphic Designer

There is a place for games and related stuff in animesuki.

here. ^^
JOJOS'STAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 15:31   Link #4
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

well thats more for the system games Im talking models and books mostly
Old 2006-10-12, 16:21   Link #5
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I played it for years. I still have those figures and many of them arent even painted yet, but we dont play anymore.
Maybe we grew to old, or maybe its because the new system is just statistics and close to no tactics. Its not as much fun as it used to be. They killed every single rule, that had some complexity in it and only left the basics.
You can pretty much tell how a game will end just by looking at the starting formations now...
A close combat battle for example is done in just 2 steps: push figures in general direction of the enemy, count dices and throw the, you might end up doing +/-2 hits in in comparison to the expected average, but thats it. Really its only math, no way to change the outcome by performing a smart move.

Also GW is really going over the top with their prices recently. Not that it matters to me anymore, as I already have everything I need (and it did cost me enough). But when I visit a store now and look at the current prices...
Like 10€ for 2 plastic space marines, or 20€ for one small metal model, I cant believe they actualy get to sell those items.

Maybe Ill look into the game again, when the codex eldar comes out... maybe not.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 17:54   Link #6
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

My younger brother paints 40K models (has a whole bunch of them). Personally I've only ever watched 40K games (when I was much, much younger) never actually took part... I have played the original fantasy version though, to a limited degree. I'm less into the tactics/table top combat and more into the RPG side though. For me this involves playing a special version of the WHFRP that a friend of mine ran for a number of years... we just finished the Enemy Within Campaign in fact, very good stuff! ... Though purhaps not for those really into the model based combat in 40K
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 18:18   Link #7
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I tried "Inquisitor" (the 40k roleplay/tabletop game) a couple of times.
Its fun, the models are bigger and look really beautyful with all their details, the rules are very complex (for a GW title) and you need to tell a story of some kind to get the game going. Its really more like Shadowrun in 40k setting than the typical GW tabletop game.
Sadly I never found any players to play this with, so I didnt really got into it.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 14:20   Link #8
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I found this a while back. I don't play, but I like watching people painting the models. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 22:50   Link #9
Koshiba

Send a message via AIM to Koshiba Send a message via MSN to Koshiba
Ah yes, my BF is very much into War Hammer and has painted alot of models. He's also planning on playing it a bit more and possibly teach me.
Koshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 04:27   Link #10
p3psi
Oscar winning black actor

The comp game was fun. Throwing dice makes it too much like dungeons and dragons and I'm not that big of a nerd. I'm just a level 7 dwarf nerd who plays starcraft and watches anime.
p3psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 10:07   Link #11
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
My younger brother paints 40K models (has a whole bunch of them).
Does he not play either? I only ask because I paint the models a lot (both the Fantasy and the 40k ones), but I never play. I just like putting together the models and making scenery for them to stand in.

My favorite 40k is the Necrons - there's something about them I find very visually appealing, though the Tau and the Eldar are a close second.

EDIT: In fantasy my favorite armies are Lizardmen followed by Tomb Kings and Bretonnians.
Old 2006-10-16, 11:55   Link #12
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666 View Post
Does he not play either? I only ask because I paint the models a lot (both the Fantasy and the 40k ones), but I never play.
He is the same... I'm not sure if he has ever actually played with them... though he has a few books laying around. I think he favours the Tau at the moment... at least that is what he has been painting most of recently.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 12:14   Link #13
Illuyankas
I need another drink.

I have a bunch of models from when I was 13, but I lost touch with everyone I played with so they're stuck in my garage. I love the fluff though - background stories and information, in case you didn't know the word - and Dawn Of War is an awesome game, but I want to try Mark Of Chaos and the MMO when they come out.
Illuyankas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 23:09   Link #14
gelugon2105
Ominous

Games Workshop the Betrayer

Yeah, I agree with Dhomochevsky when he said the table-toppers have been ruined by statistics and expensive figurines. Last time, two decades ago, small-scale skirmishes and duels happened more often than a straight-out clash between armies of hundreds of troops on table-top. Soldier figurines were individuals, and the terrain was actually important. Now, because Games Workshop wants to regularly hold tournaments, massive scale battles seem to have more allure and last longer. Each figurine actually represented more than one soldier, and the terrain is dumbed down to merely providing defense/offense bonuses and very crude LOS. The official publication of new sets of rules for large-scale battles pretty much cemented this new table-top variant.

Even worse, Games Workshop is licensing the saga to computer game developers and publishers. While these games aren't bad at all (in fact, most are very good), they only manage to replicate the theme of perpertual war in the W40K saga. The table-top and turn-based dice-rolling rules are totally absent, with a few exceptions (Chaos Gate was the only one that stayed true to the original concept of battles in W40K).

This is another sad case of desecration of a famous creation by its own creator, disguised as innovation and "adaptation to present times".

And may the directors and headquarters of Games Workshop be struck by a Warp Storm if GW decides to make an anime or manga cross-over. The introduction of the Tao, which has heavy mecha influence, forbodes this. Fortunately, some old hands at GW probably realized this and pressed for the inclusion of so-not-anime races into the coalition For The Greater Good, like the Kroot, in order to stem any surfacing thoughts of licensing W40K to the Japs. The Emperor Forbids Thus!

P.S. Secca, that Hello Kitty/ Warhammer 40K cross-over pic is very disturbing. I hope I won't see any more of these.

The worst case of a creator desecrating his/her own creation is undoubtedly George Lucas's butchering of the Star Wars prequels.

My favorite faction in W40K will always be the Space Marines. As self-righteous and arrogant as they are, there's still something attractive in their relentless, steadfast personality. The Tao comes a close second, followed by the Orks at third place. Heck, the Orks are the only faction that is honest about their goals: looting the whole damn galaxy many times over.
gelugon2105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 05:27   Link #15
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelugon2105 View Post
And may the directors and headquarters of Games Workshop be struck by a Warp Storm if GW decides to make an anime or manga cross-over. The introduction of the Tao, which has heavy mecha influence, forbodes this. Fortunately, some old hands at GW probably realized this and pressed for the inclusion of so-not-anime races into the coalition For The Greater Good, like the Kroot, in order to stem any surfacing thoughts of licensing W40K to the Japs. The Emperor Forbids Thus!

P.S. Secca, that Hello Kitty/ Warhammer 40K cross-over pic is very disturbing. I hope I won't see any more of these.

The worst case of a creator desecrating his/her own creation is undoubtedly George Lucas's butchering of the Star Wars prequels.
Lol don't look at me, ^^ remember I said I like watching the guys painting the models? I visit their workshop alot because they paint models including DnD and Gundam models. They knew I was into anime and japanese related stuffs, so they e=mailed me that picture to get me to play WH40K with them. That was very nice of them.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-19, 14:37   Link #16
Arimfe
SharpenerOfTheBoxcutter

Location: where Grudge is Greatest, Rancour Endless and Malice Eternal(at school^^;;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuyankas View Post
and Dawn Of War is an awesome game
Yeah that game was awesome. I'm going to have to get Dark Crusade one of these days.
Quote:
Heck, the Orks are the only faction that is honest about their goals: looting the whole damn galaxy many times over.
O_o
That sounds pretty ebil.
Having only played Dawn of War+Winter Assault, I have always wondered, Which ones are the more ebil, Orks or Chaos? Where are they on the ebil meter?
And Eldar, Space Marines and Imperial Guard are supposedly good? I think..
Where are they on the Ebil-Good scale?

And with Dark Crusade, there will be Tau and Necrons. How are Necrons compared to Chaos? Say if Chaos is ebil™ Would the Necrons be ebil light or ebil extra?
And what about Tau vs Space Marines&co?
Arimfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-19, 15:12   Link #17
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arimfe View Post
Yeah that game was awesome. I'm going to have to get Dark Crusade one of these days.
O_o
That sounds pretty ebil.
Having only played Dawn of War+Winter Assault, I have always wondered, Which ones are the more ebil, Orks or Chaos? Where are they on the ebil meter?
And Eldar, Space Marines and Imperial Guard are supposedly good? I think..
Where are they on the Ebil-Good scale?

And with Dark Crusade, there will be Tau and Necrons. How are Necrons compared to Chaos? Say if Chaos is ebil™ Would the Necrons be ebil light or ebil extra?
And what about Tau vs Space Marines&co?
Lets just say that the Necrons are the evilest of them all and the tau are the goodest (is goodest a word?)

the Necrons are the oldest race and sacrificed their old desised bodys millens of years ago to their gods for mecanical ones well the gods wiped thier minds and sent them out to find souls to feed thier gods so they are mosty soulles soul stealers bent on killing every living thing.

the Tau are like "For the Greater GOOD!" they want all species to get together in one big happy family. But right now they have to beat people up a little to make them see the error to their ways.

The Space marines and Imerial gaurd are the same army under the imortal emperor bent on restoring the order they once had over the univers befor the "Heresy"

Chaos well it just a little less evil then necrons but want the same thing also they wan the god emperor dead.

eldar is the second oldest race and they think their beter than every one else. like the space marines they once rualed the univers and they want it back. they are good for the most part and are the necrons acient enemys.

Orks ....... kill, raid, burn, and have fun

not on any vidio game yet

tyronids - bug lizards that want to devouer all life. thier not evil; just hungry

dark eldar - are evil eldar that worship chaos so they are just chaos space marines but eldar so they are just as evil.

Ok thats it

PS the ne Dawn of War "Dark Crusaide" is rather good. the graphics arnt any beter but 2 new races and a crusaid campain are good.
Old 2006-10-19, 19:07   Link #18
Tabris

I used to collect WH40k.

Quite a few things led me to quitting, though I do buy a model every so often, I've yet to finish one since I quit. I think I just grew out of it, and just at the right time too. The prices of the models wasn't too appealing either, I remember before I stopped, it was something like £10-£12 for a SM Tactical Squad and now it's around £18, which is ridiculous. Oh, and it wasn't a massive factor, but the massive amount of stigma attached to Warhammer was insane. Every other kid in the store conformed to that geeky sweaty and smelly stereotype that GW precedes.

The fluff was always interesting, and painting the miniatures was always a decent way to burn time. I enjoyed the 'hobby' when I was into it. Not so much any more, but I wouldn't mind getting back into it. Albeit, lightly.
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 08:23   Link #19
gelugon2105
Ominous

If you want information on Warhammer 40K, there’s no better (& cheaper) source than Wikipedia. I get my fix on W40K trivia every now and then from there.

The only thing I still can’t get is that the Orks once have ancestors with connection to the Warp (i.e. hyperspace) and have psychic powers like the Eldar (yes; I gasped at this too). Now they are just a bunch of riotous bozos with big guns and axes. What calamity happened to cause them to lose their psychic powers? Moreover, they are the only race that doesn’t seem to travel via hyperspace; they just load their clans and stuff into ships built into asteroids and fly them off to the nearest planet from where they launched.

Arimfe, I agree with Diaboso about Necrons being the most evil. Pretty much what he said is known to W40K fans.

The forces of Chaos are evil butchers, and one of their main goals is the certifiable death of the God Emperor.

The Emperor was the most immortal and physically and mentally powerful human Terra (i.e. Earth) has ever produced. He forged the Imperium of Man, but eventually his neglect of bureaucracy and his sons (the Primarchs) led to the infiltration of Chaos into the ranks of humankind. The Civil War known as the Horus Heresy ensued and the Emperor was forced to slay his most promising son. Possibly more out of despair than heavy wounds/injuries, he slipped into a death-like coma.

The Imperial Councils, not wanting to break the Imperium with the Emperor’s death, announced that their Emperor had achieved godhood and other divine rubbish. They inter his body in a gigantic satellite (christened “The Emperor’s Hand”; utter hogwash I say) bristling with mass destruction weaponry and have it orbit Mars. Since then the Imperium is just a bunch of mish-mashed factions/organizations held together only with reverence of the Emperor. What a bunch of over-religious zealous idiots. Haven’t they heard of democracy? Oh wait, the Emperor abolished democracy dozens of thousands of years before his death; another bureaucratic mistake on his part.

Anyway, the forces of Chaos could not claim complete victory, since the Emperor is not really dead, but so far any attempt to penetrate into the Solar System was a failure (heck they didn’t even get within dozens of light-years from the Emperor’s Hand).

The ultimate goal of Chaos, however, is to subjugate physical space and merge it with Hyperspace, much like what they have done with the Eye of Terror, which is very much a colossal living hell in space now. But this is easier said than done, since they have to corrupt many planets, stars and even black holes to do so.

Tabris, W40K is pretty much now a cult more than a saga. Ask a typical (not hardcore) fan about what it is and they will answer models, table games and computer games.

Last edited by gelugon2105; 2006-10-20 at 08:27. Reason: Forgot some things
gelugon2105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 10:43   Link #20
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Quote:
If you want information on Warhammer 40K, there’s no better (& cheaper) source than Wikipedia. I get my fix on W40K trivia every now and then from there.

The only thing I still can’t get is that the Orks once have ancestors with connection to the Warp (i.e. hyperspace) and have psychic powers like the Eldar (yes; I gasped at this too). Now they are just a bunch of riotous bozos with big guns and axes. What calamity happened to cause them to lose their psychic powers? Moreover, they are the only race that doesn’t seem to travel via hyperspace; they just load their clans and stuff into ships built into asteroids and fly them off to the nearest planet from where they launched.

Arimfe, I agree with Diaboso about Necrons being the most evil. Pretty much what he said is known to W40K fans.

The forces of Chaos are evil butchers, and one of their main goals is the certifiable death of the God Emperor.

The Emperor was the most immortal and physically and mentally powerful human Terra (i.e. Earth) has ever produced. He forged the Imperium of Man, but eventually his neglect of bureaucracy and his sons (the Primarchs) led to the infiltration of Chaos into the ranks of humankind. The Civil War known as the Horus Heresy ensued and the Emperor was forced to slay his most promising son. Possibly more out of despair than heavy wounds/injuries, he slipped into a death-like coma.

The Imperial Councils, not wanting to break the Imperium with the Emperor’s death, announced that their Emperor had achieved godhood and other divine rubbish. They inter his body in a gigantic satellite (christened “The Emperor’s Hand”; utter hogwash I say) bristling with mass destruction weaponry and have it orbit Mars. Since then the Imperium is just a bunch of mish-mashed factions/organizations held together only with reverence of the Emperor. What a bunch of over-religious zealous idiots. Haven’t they heard of democracy? Oh wait, the Emperor abolished democracy dozens of thousands of years before his death; another bureaucratic mistake on his part..
From what I have read of the emporor of man kind he IS NOT dead but he was mortaly wounded. now he sits on earth in what is known as the golden throne witch they sacrifice 1000 psykers every day and send thier life energy into him to keep him alive. also 1000 people is nothing in WH40k when their is no way to count the number of people in the Gagilains of worlds held by man all holding billens

Quote:
Tabris, W40K is pretty much now a cult more than a saga. Ask a typical (not hardcore) fan about what it is and they will answer models, table games and computer games.
hay I take offence to that. To me it a hobby yes and i do it in my free time yes but me and the people at the game center play pure causual and dont get into any of that crazy stuff I know happens else where.