AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-30, 11:37   Link #121
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

About the "physically weak" thing.... some buddhists think that being physically weak or disabled is karmic payback for badness done in a previous life. As such a person in this life, you're goal is to deal and manage with the weakness, thus purifying your soul and leveling up for the next life.
Naturally, that's a short step from thinking badly of people who might be "cut out of the herd and eaten by tigers because they're sickly".

Just another example of how it doesn't take much to twist a good idea into an excuse to be mean to someone

Kagami's "charm" is that even though she's a prickly character "tsun" she eats cake quite demurely ("dere"). Nonetheless, it was a rather weak gag.
Old 2007-06-30, 11:55   Link #122
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisu View Post
I don't think L*S will get licensed .. at least not this quickly. References aside, it seems just too random.
Are there other Slice of Life series that have been licensed?
To Heart got licenced (eventually, it took 5 years plus another 3 before the first DVD came out!), though I was kind of surprised it was licenced at all and the reviews are, as expected, rather cool.

Like Lucky Star, To Heart was very popular in Japan (as evidenced by all the To Heart skits in Lucky Star) but wasn't the sort of story likely to appeal to the average US anime viewer because "nothing happens" (to quote a prototypical reviews). This is also true of Lucky Star, which is further handicapped by the fact that the cultural references are too obscure, and unlike To Heart episodes (which do actually have a coherent storyline), Lucky Star ones are a bunch of little sketches which rely on puns more than plot.

Normally then I would tend to agree with those who say Lucky Star is unlikely to be licenced. However the fact that AIR got licenced means all bets are off, there really are crazy licensors out there who will buy something just because it's good rather than because their target audience would actually buy it.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2007-06-30, 19:00   Link #123
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goron View Post
haha wow thanks for the reply ^^ I like how "Sebastian " is being mocked by the others , but i think the lucky channel has dropped a little bit in quality.

And shin-chan ? From witch anime ? I havent seen it myself so i would like to know
Crayon Shin-chan. It's a kid's anime with, controversially, pretty risque content at times. Even my parents told me not to watch it when I was little, despite it being in a morning slot.
Old 2007-06-30, 22:51   Link #124
Hazelshock
Touch the bread and die

What is Lucky Star REALLY about I'm looking for a new anime series to watch atm and i kinda wanna know the plot before getting into anything
Old 2007-06-30, 23:01   Link #125
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
You'd find more in the General Discussion thread, but L*S is about a few girls. And their hobbies.

That's all.
Old 2007-06-30, 23:28   Link #126
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The daily lives of a few girls who are somewhat quirky.. okay, very quirky.
Old 2007-06-30, 23:33   Link #127
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
This is also true of Lucky Star, which is further handicapped by the fact that the cultural references are too obscure
Pani Poni Dash, which should be officially considered the biggest Pain in the Referential Ass of the history of anime, also made it to the US

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-07-01, 15:19   Link #128
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
To Heart got licenced (eventually, it took 5 years plus another 3 before the first DVD came out!), though I was kind of surprised it was licenced at all and the reviews are, as expected, rather cool.

Like Lucky Star, To Heart was very popular in Japan (as evidenced by all the To Heart skits in Lucky Star) but wasn't the sort of story likely to appeal to the average US anime viewer because "nothing happens" (to quote a prototypical reviews). This is also true of Lucky Star, which is further handicapped by the fact that the cultural references are too obscure, and unlike To Heart episodes (which do actually have a coherent storyline), Lucky Star ones are a bunch of little sketches which rely on puns more than plot.

Normally then I would tend to agree with those who say Lucky Star is unlikely to be licenced. However the fact that AIR got licenced means all bets are off, there really are crazy licensors out there who will buy something just because it's good rather than because their target audience would actually buy it.

i hav a question about to heart, i looked on daily motion, found french subs. does to heart have a creepy girl into black magic (kurusugawa). im confused it said to heart 01, a girl named konomi is running to the roof and 2 of her friends join her (yochhi and charu) after a school year ends. a guy friend ends up staying over for dinner at the end ep title "new uniform"

then supposedly another 1st ep has starts off with a girl (pink haired girl) crying in the rain named akari with a friend (hiroyuki) in the rain because she dropped her books and ppl r laughing at her. i beleive this is the one with the black magic girl

yes i know this might be off topic, but did i just happen to watch 2 different anime with nearly the same title names becasue the main characters seem to be different between both the ep 1s??

Last edited by X207; 2007-07-01 at 15:34.
Old 2007-07-01, 15:27   Link #129
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
i hav a question about to heart, i looked on daily motion, found french subs. does to heart have a creepy girl into black magic (kurusugawa). im confused it said to heart 01, a girl named konomi is running to the roof and 2 of her friends join her (yochhi and charu) after a school year ends. a guy friend ends up staying over for dinner at the end

then supposedly another 1st ep has starts off with a girl (pink haired girl) crying in the rain named akira with a frein in the rain because she dropped her books and ppl r laughing at her. i beleive this is the one with the black magic girl

yes i know this might be off topic ut did i just happen to watch 2 different anime with nearly the same title names??
Well, it certainly is off-topic, but yes, there are three different ToHeart anime series. The original ToHeart (the one with Kurusugawa; this one's being released on DVD in North America right now), ToHeart ~Remember My Memories~ (sequel to the first one, same cast), and ToHeart 2 (the one with Konomi -- it has a different cast than the first two). So yeah, your confusion is understandable. The art and animation in all three look very different, so you should be able to tell them apart upon closer inspection.
Old 2007-07-01, 15:38   Link #130
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, it certainly is off-topic, but yes, there are three different ToHeart anime series. The original ToHeart (the one with Kurusugawa; this one's being released on DVD in North America right now), ToHeart ~Remember My Memories~ (sequel to the first one, same cast), and ToHeart 2 (the one with Konomi -- it has a different cast than the first two). So yeah, your confusion is understandable. The art and animation in all three look very different, so you should be able to tell them apart upon closer inspection.
ah thanks for clearing that up, the original seems interesting, think i'll watch it. i'll refrain from other to heart questions so i dont stray off topic again.
Old 2007-07-01, 20:56   Link #131
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
ah thanks for clearing that up, the original seems interesting, think i'll watch it. i'll refrain from other to heart questions so i dont stray off topic again.
There's a thread here for discussing the original To Heart series, I can answer questions there if you have any more. (There are also separate discussion threads for the other two series in the "fansubbed" section.) But to add to what relentlessflame said, the girl Akari crying in the rain is indeed the start of the original series which also features the mysterious black magic girl, Serika Kurusugawa. (Akari and Serika are two of my favourite anime characters ^_^.) (Note: To Heart is almost shoujo in style, whereas To Heart2 is ecchi.)

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2007-07-01, 22:43   Link #132
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
There's a thread here for discussing the original To Heart series, I can answer questions there if you have any more. (There are also separate discussion threads for the other two series in the "fansubbed" section.) But to add to what relentlessflame said, the girl Akari crying in the rain is indeed the start of the original series which also features the mysterious black magic girl, Serika Kurusugawa. (Akari and Serika are two of my favourite anime characters ^_^.) (Note: To Heart is almost shoujo in style, whereas To Heart2 is ecchi.)
ty for pointing me toward those to heart forums, already starting season 2. i gotta say the animation looks so much better.

now on topic, ive asked this question b4 but got no reply, in lucky star you sometimes hear a chant repeating the phrase aya aya ... wats that about?
Old 2007-07-01, 22:58   Link #133
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
ty for pointing me toward those to heart forums, already starting season 2. i gotta say the animation looks so much better.

now on topic, ive asked this question b4 but got no reply, in lucky star you sometimes hear a chant repeating the phrase aya aya ... wats that about?
A zany remix of Konata's theme. Nothing special.
Old 2007-07-01, 23:07   Link #134
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
About the "physically weak" thing.... some buddhists think that being physically weak or disabled is karmic payback for badness done in a previous life. As such a person in this life, you're goal is to deal and manage with the weakness, thus purifying your soul and leveling up for the next life.
Naturally, that's a short step from thinking badly of people who might be "cut out of the herd and eaten by tigers because they're sickly".
I don't really that's what Konata's talking about. Connection between strong body and mind/morale is a traditional Chinese martial arts idea. In fact that's why many people practice martial arts in ancient times; not to learn to use force but to purify their spirits and moral. This is especially important to the Samurai class, thus every boy of the high birth will be taught martial arts like Kendo or Karate in order to live up to the Confucius' high moral standard, reguardless if they will ever be in battle in the future. From this Chinese thought comes with the idea that if you are physically weak you are prone to bad morals.

Yes there is a Buddhist idea that ALL bad things in current life is result of karma, not just being physically weak. Negative Karma is present in every part of human existence and purifying karma is part of Buddhist practice. But to deem someone as weak physically equals to being weak morally is not a Buddhist practice or thought. In fact, separation of physical from the mental is one of the end goals; a person's mind has nothing to do with their body. Many, many accomplished Buddhist masters are seemingly frail persons, but mighty in spirituality. Discriminate against someone based on physical appearance or capabilities is just about the most un-buddist thing you can do.

Anyhoo everyday Japanese knows every little about actual Buddhism; doubt much of it will show up in Lucky Star.
Old 2007-07-02, 01:51   Link #135
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I didn't mean to say that the belief was buddhist .... only that its a short (but incorrect) step from the karma concept to thinking poorly of such people. I may have been less than clear there.
Mean-spirited individuals can take any religion and twist it to rationalize nasty behavior. I follow buddhist philosophy but I'm also aware that a lot of people who call themselves buddhists are very fuzzy on the basic concepts (just like any other belief system).

Well... if Kona isn't referring to those concepts then what do you think she's talking about?
Old 2007-07-02, 07:11   Link #136
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Hi, can anyone tell me where can I find the FMP doujin Kagami was reading in episode 12?
Old 2007-07-02, 09:50   Link #137
Goron

I think Vexx´s right
Old 2007-07-02, 14:14   Link #138
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I didn't mean to say that the belief was buddhist .... only that its a short (but incorrect) step from the karma concept to thinking poorly of such people. I may have been less than clear there.
Mean-spirited individuals can take any religion and twist it to rationalize nasty behavior. I follow buddhist philosophy but I'm also aware that a lot of people who call themselves buddhists are very fuzzy on the basic concepts (just like any other belief system).
Yeah I know those people very well... I'm a practicing Buddhist. I don't think most Japanese are really Buddhist though.. they just believe in many of the concepts like Karma and would pay respect Buddhist deities. It's similar to how many Chinese are more Taoist than Buddhist, even though in ever Taoist temple you'll find a bodhisattva there too. Many aspect of Buddhism has been ingrained into the native religions in East Asia, and people get confused all the time.

Quote:
Well... if Kona isn't referring to those concepts then what do you think she's talking about?
I believe she is referring to the concept of "weak body leads to weak morals", but all I'm saying is that the basis for that belief lies solidly in classical Chinese philosophical systems, not Buddhism or the Karmic system, that is all. It's the primary reason for practicing martial arts for many people in East and West, and Kona's simply stating her basic belief as a practitioner. In many classical Chinese stories, a weak-bodied person or a person born with illness are often portrayed as being weak in their will-power. Not necessarily evil, but they are not someone you'd root for as the hero.

I have to admit, it's an awfully obscure reference even in an anime. I really have to give them props in finding a joke in something like this.
Old 2007-07-02, 14:33   Link #139
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ah... I get what you're saying now.
Old 2007-07-02, 23:37   Link #140
vaizard_ruler
Lucky☆Star Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to vaizard_ruler Send a message via MSN to vaizard_ruler Send a message via Yahoo to vaizard_ruler
What's up with Old Skol(the comic book guy)? The art style and stuff on how he's drawn and other things about him?
Closed Thread