AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

View Poll Results: Valvrave the Liberator - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 31 28.70%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 40 37.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 22.22%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-06-20, 22:30   Link #181
finalfury
Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeEntity View Post
Both corrupted so Saki becomes the MC to save them both.
I so would want this to happen. After getting proposed to by the guy who raped her, Saki should become the MC of the show imo.
Old 2013-06-20, 22:30   Link #182
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Magnificent episode. Simply magnificent.

Wonderfully gripping and intense, almost from start to finish. The first scene's overabundance of happiness and joy being such ominous foreshadowing of what was to come.

Several notes, in chronological order:

1. Loved the outfits for Shoko and her cabinet. Those outfits really showed off each character's style and personality. Shoko's was hilarious. Takahi's was hot!

2. The Shoko/Akira/Satomi dynamic was played very nicely. I'm pretty amazed that Takahi didn't even know that Akira existed. Wow, Satomi is certainly quite protective of his sister if he never even bothered to tell Takahi about her.

3. The early scenes with Haruto and Saki were a bit awkward and goofy. I found the two characters a bit hard to read there. However, I did like the touch of Saki and Haruto watching a movie together, one in which Saki had a major role. It was neat how Saki spoke one of her old lines from that movie, as it sounded like something she could very believably be feeling in real life today. I liked how Haruto pushed forward on that.

4. L-Elf was totally stonecold throughout the episode, making him a great contrast to how heavily emotional most of the other characters were.

5. The big battle itself was a joy to watch. I really liked L-Elf's key tactic there. I liked how he handled both Shoko and Satomi there. Very smooth, smart, and efficient.

6. The highlight of the episode was the scene between Shoko and her father. That was just fantastic! I'm not sure who Shoko's seiyu is, but she deserves high kudos for this performance. Just perfectly handled! Superb drama. And...

7. Shoko's dad was so powerfully awesome with such few lines to work with. Part of me thought he should have been more sentimental here, but I was very impressed with how he never kept his eye off the bigger picture for a second. He went fearlessly to his death, and he did all he could to motivate his daughter to stay strong and lead their country into a better future. The man went out in a blaze of glory, with his strength and dignity intact to the bitter end. I hope that his final words to Shoko weren't in vain. I hope it gives her strength to overcome what's now happening, presuming she survives much longer. I hope this leads into a more serious and practical Shoko. This is relatively minor, but I really liked the character design for Shoko's father. The family resemblance was subtle, but clear.

8. I think L-Elf was prepared to shoot Shoko, but only if she completely cracked and said something like "I'll give you everything! I'll give you all the Valvraves! Just let my father go!" Shoko's a wild card to L-Elf, so he couldn't completely discount the possibility of her cracking like that (I myself was on the edge of my seat thinking she could make an offer like that at any second). So he pulled the gun just in case. Barring Shoko completely cracking like that, though, I don't think L-Elf would have shot her. I think he's very relieved he didn't have to.

9. As awesome as the scene between Shoko and her father was, Cain's surprise success came very close to topping it for the highlight of the episode. Just when you think L-Elf's won another one for the student-state - BAM!!! Finally, L-Elf has a worthy opponent in the area of military strategy. Finally, he may have met his match. Cain's successful infiltration of Module 77 was great to behold. Everybody completely freaking out over it (especially since Satomi couldn't find any contingency plans for this in the notes L-Elf gave him) made it that much more dramatic.

10. The marriage proposal. Well... that certainly came out of left field. But given everything else going on, I guess it was only way to top it all, eh? For a cliffhanger moment anyway. Something I think we should all keep in mind - Saki hasn't given her answer yet. It's not inconceivable she might say no. Saki can be a hard character to read, so I'm not sure if she wants outright marriage yet. I don't particularly care who ends up with who in this anime, but if I was a Haruto-Shoko shipper, the possibility of Saki answering "No" is something I'd take comfort in.

Well... that was the ultimate penultimate episode. Absolutely glorious! 10/10

This is total crunch time for Shoko, L-Elf, and Saki, albeit for very different reasons. This will either completely destroy Shoko (likely leading to her death), or her father's final words to her will give her the strength she needs to bounce back stronger and more resolute than before. L-Elf is now in a battle of wits with Cain. Saki has a very important decision to make.

With this episode, Valvrave has shot itself solidly into my favorite anime show of Spring 2013. As long as the finale is not an anti-climatic letdown (and I doubt it will be), it will be staying there.
Old 2013-06-20, 22:40   Link #183
aldw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomFighterGunboy View Post
Saki Rukino is going to say no. I'd bet on that.
I think the 4channers have the right idea about this (which is the opposite of that bet)...
Old 2013-06-20, 22:40   Link #184
Kirayuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm not sure who Shoko's seiyu is, but she deserves high kudos for this performance.
http://myanimelist.net/people/11787/Asami_Seto

Chihaya (Chihayafuru), Laffinty (Rinne no Lagrange), Konatsu (Tari Tari)
Old 2013-06-20, 22:48   Link #185
LostSome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asahi View Post
It would be quite a twist if Saki accepted the proposal instead. What she did this episode could be viewed as emotionally manipulative and guilt tripping Haruto, so I wouldnt be too surprised ^^. Saki would then be quite memorable in a sense, plus Sunrise doesnt seem to take stuff serious anyway.
It`s hard to say how Saki thinks.
But I don`t think she was trying to manipulate Haruto, she just didn`t wanted to hear Haruto`s apologies.

I guess Haruto does understand Saki`s loneliness and Saki`s needing another loneliness speech somehow got to Haruto.
I don`t think he proposed simply out of guilt only.
Old 2013-06-20, 22:49   Link #186
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post

I did not even recognize her as Lan's voice. Such completely different character personalities between Lan and Shouko.
Old 2013-06-20, 22:50   Link #187
whitecloud

Either haruto or shouko will become darth vader
Old 2013-06-20, 22:51   Link #188
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post

Thanks a lot for that.

Nice resume! I never would have guessed she done Laffinty (which is rather ironic since Shoko reminds me quite forcefully of Lagrange's Madoka at times ). I do see similarities between Shoko's voice and that of Chihaya and Konatsu though.

But best of all, through your link... I see she did Menma from AnoHana! Ha ha ha ha!

Well, she certainly has talent! I'll try to remember to search her out in future roles.
Old 2013-06-20, 22:52   Link #189
Asahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSome View Post
Quote:
It would be quite a twist if Saki accepted the proposal instead. What she did this episode could be viewed as emotionally manipulative and guilt tripping Haruto, so I wouldnt be too surprised ^^. Saki would then be quite memorable in a sense, plus Sunrise doesnt seem to take stuff serious anyway.
It`s hard to say how Saki thinks.
But I don`t think she was trying to manipulate Haruto, she just didn`t wanted to hear Haruto`s apologies.

I guess Haruto does understand Saki`s loneliness and Saki`s needing another loneliness speech somehow got to Haruto.
I don`t think he proposed simply out of guilt only.
Um, I dont see how hes proposing out of love anyway, which is how it normally is. And either way, its still laced with pity. Its just sad that marriage is taken lightly in this show ( and a solution to sexual assault lol).
Old 2013-06-20, 22:57   Link #190
Chibikiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldw View Post
I think the 4channers have the right idea about this (which is the opposite of that bet)...
why is that?
Old 2013-06-20, 22:59   Link #191
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Haruto put up a death flag even though he can't die, strangely as much I like Saki I hope she rejects the proposal.
1. I agree that Saki as a character would be more interesting if she said no. I am hoping she has enough pride left to not be pitted. If she holds any hopes of the two of them having a future together, it would need to be built on mutual respect, not duty or obligation.

2. I expect Sunrise to push Haruto's immortality to the limit. They sort of tried that with Code Geass immortals, so I expect something even more spectacular. Haruto will die a horrible, horrible death where not even molecules remain... Then VVV-tan would reconstruct him from scratch using her quantum backup data.

Remember the User Agreement Haruto signed? The "engine" (VVV-tan) reserve the power of life and death over the person who resigned his humanity to her.

The Devil will not let Haruto die, until the time and place that suited her. He isn't getting out of his contact that easily.
Old 2013-06-20, 23:04   Link #192
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
1. I agree that Saki as a character would be more interesting if she said no. I am hoping she has enough pride left to not be pitted. If she holds any hopes of the two of them having a future together, it would need to be built on mutual respect, not duty or obligation.

2. I expect Sunrise to push Haruto's immortality to the limit. They sort of tried that with Code Geass immortals, so I expect something even more spectacular. Haruto will die a horrible, horrible death where not even molecules remain... Then VVV-tan would reconstruct him from scratch using her quantum backup data.

Remember the User Agreement Haruto signed? The "engine" (VVV-tan) reserve the power of life and death over the person who resigned his humanity to her.

The Devil will not let Haruto die, until the time and place that suited her. He isn't getting out of his contact that easily.
I would not say "death flag" but rather getting captured, or at least out of the picture at the start of cour 2.

Saki and Haruto can work well as a pairing if built upon better in the next cour at this time either choice is possible. With all the twist and turning, I have no expectations.
Old 2013-06-20, 23:06   Link #193
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

I say that there more to the proposal then just guilt and pity. As a fellow vampire, Haruto understand what it like be to lonely like in Saki's past. So by proposing, he want to ease Saki's loneliness like how Saki ease Haruto's suffering in episode 10. With all the time he spent with Saki, I doubt he doesn't have any feeling for Saki at all.
Old 2013-06-20, 23:08   Link #194
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Saki is going to say no, and that will piss off VVV-tan, and then we are going to see berserker VVV-tan going around killing everything while looking cute. And timeskip happens.

I'd kill to see something equivalent to Nobel Gundam.
Old 2013-06-20, 23:10   Link #195
LostSome

Quote:
Um, I dont see how hes proposing out of love either. And either way, its still laced with pity. Its just sad that marriage is taken lightly in this show.
I never said out of love either.
I just don`t think the rape was the only reason for it. Sure, call it pity if you want.

Lightly, how ? It is very serious to me, especially because of Shoko.
Old 2013-06-20, 23:14   Link #196
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

9. As awesome as the scene between Shoko and her father was, Cain's surprise success came very close to topping it for the highlight of the episode. Just when you think L-Elf's won another one for the student-state - BAM!!! Finally, L-Elf has a worthy opponent in the area of military strategy. Finally, he may have met his match. Cain's successful infiltration of Module 77 was great to behold. Everybody completely freaking out over it (especially since Satomi couldn't find any contingency plans for this in the notes L-Elf gave him) made it that much more dramatic.
That was my favorite part too. Cain came out of nowhere and surprised even me. I actually love his line while Haruto was saying, "It all went according to L-elf's plan, just how far can he predict things?"

And Cain retorts, "Not far enough, apparently."

LoL, that was so hilarious. Can Cain actually hear what Haruto is saying? Is he really in tune with the Valvraves and can thus hear their pilots? If that's so, then this guy has really been pulling the wool over everyone's eyes this entire time.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-06-20, 23:14   Link #197
Shinhwa
Banned

so anyone think Shouko will turn into a Yandere from all the zetsubou?
Old 2013-06-20, 23:15   Link #198
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

One scenario in which Saki says yes would probably be if Saki questions Haruto about his feelings for Shoko, he won't deny it but says that he also wants to take away her lonliness, and assures her that in time he will love her as much as he loves Shoko.

Anyway the wait for the next episode is going to be killer.
Old 2013-06-20, 23:17   Link #199
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Um, I dont see how hes proposing out of love anyway, which is how it normally is. And either way, its still laced with pity. Its just sad that marriage is taken lightly in this show ( and a solution to sexual assault lol).
"Had sex with a girl -> take responsibility and marry her" is SO common that there are specific terms for it in both East and West, going back centuries.

You call it taking marriage lightly. I call it old fashioned thinking.

Now, of course, the "old fashioned thinking" is designed with the assumption that the female is damaged goods that needed to be paid for. So in that respect even though the male might be doing something he felt is honourable, the female might take offence in the modern age.

In short, it is old fashioned for Haruto to propose. But it is modern for Saki to execute her right to refuse the proposal. Because hopefully Saki has enough self worth to not give her hand in marriage to a guy to had sex with her so casually.
Old 2013-06-20, 23:17   Link #200
Shinhwa
Banned

Quote:
Anyway the wait for the next episodes is going to be killer.
I seriously can't see how the next episode will end when it is the last episode of season 1 ._.
Closed Thread