AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2018-01-13, 02:55   Link #61
arkhangelsk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Who was she going to talk to? There was no one else in authority at the tournament other than members of the Origami family, one of whom she had seen was a monster, and another of whom had just tried to kill Hiyori.
Of course the bodyguards tried to kill her, and it has nothing to do with monsters. As far as anyone except Kanami could see, Hiyori just tried to take out the Great Leader, period.

That part really was indefensible. To say any reasonable person would suddenly decide to risk everything she had going against all authority and siding with a complete stranger on the basis of something she thinks she saw for a split second was rather implausible. In fact, the whole idea that Hiyori will try to assassinate in broad daylight when she will have to approach the defensive screen of guards and her target from the front was rather stupid.

And there was no real reason to delay until the 2nd episode before revealing what Kanami saw. That was simply well beyond the level they could reasonably expect their audiences to just bide their time, even to that bog-standard 3rd episode. I wonder how many viewers they lost with that first episode. I honestly thought this was some poorly done light novel adaptation and the LN would at least explain this, but no, it is original anime...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
You know typically when I try to watch shows like this, that is to say a nearly girl exclusive cast trying to be badasses in an action show, there's something in it that annoys me to no end that I end up dropping it a few episodes in. It's usually when the "action" is just a bait to draw you into a show that's really about girlish antics.
And if they were all boys, you'll be watching a lot of boyish antics. It's pretty clear that this anime doesn't nearly have the budget to really deliver cool action scenes on a continuous basis, so in any case it'll have a lot of downtime.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 05:22   Link #62
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
Which is actually why I'm curious why this is a 2 cour show. Given the brisk and escalating pace of episode 2, I really don't think this "impostor" plot is going to go through all 26 episodes. Especially since we probably have a sizable group of side characters who have barely been present, I'm guessing this is probably going to go at 4-5 episodes at best, then it moves on to bigger and meatier things.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 11:42   Link #63
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Paris
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Of course the bodyguards tried to kill her, and it has nothing to do with monsters. As far as anyone except Kanami could see, Hiyori just tried to take out the Great Leader, period.

That part really was indefensible. To say any reasonable person would suddenly decide to risk everything she had going against all authority and siding with a complete stranger on the basis of something she thinks she saw for a split second was rather implausible. In fact, the whole idea that Hiyori will try to assassinate in broad daylight when she will have to approach the defensive screen of guards and her target from the front was rather stupid.

And there was no real reason to delay until the 2nd episode before revealing what Kanami saw. That was simply well beyond the level they could reasonably expect their audiences to just bide their time, even to that bog-standard 3rd episode. I wonder how many viewers they lost with that first episode. I honestly thought this was some poorly done light novel adaptation and the LN would at least explain this, but no, it is original anime...
That's basically my feeling. Hiyori could have escaped somehow, leading to Kanami looking for her in order to confirm what she saw. But she just jump right in and leave without a doubt. I know they want to pair them up, but come oooooon !

And with the position Kanami is in now, I doubt she can get any help from any superior officer. But hey, who cares : 4 other girls in mini-skirts will tag along to defeat the great evil.

I wouldn't even be surprised if one of them join the group because... nothing. Like "Oh, she's evil ? Got no proof ? Well you seem nice and my script says I need to follow so, let's do it !"

Have Hiyori and Kanami interacted a bit more in episode 1, and that attempt been made in episode 2 before running away, maybe it would have worked for me...

ALSO : with Mai right in front of her, do we really need to wait for her to find out by herself, seemingly putting herself in danger thus giving Kanami a reason to go and save her ? OH I THINK WE DOOOOO. I'm always amazed by anime where the protagonist could speak up, explain the situation, but for no apparent reason choose to remain silent. Because after decades of animes, why not follow that pattern over and over and over again...

Last edited by Sageblink; 2018-01-13 at 18:28.
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 13:30   Link #64
Marina2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Teenage and kid are simple mind. They don't need good or deep reason to do something. They just follow their instinct and do whatever they want. And for the best, maybe we, watchers, shouldn't think too much about it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
That part really was indefensible. To say any reasonable person would suddenly decide to risk everything she had going against all authority and siding with a complete stranger on the basis of something she thinks she saw for a split second was rather implausible. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sageblink
I wouldn't even be surprised if one of them join the group because... nothing. Like "Oh, she's evil ? Got no proof ? Well you seem nice and my script says I need to follow so, let's do it !"
Actually, this could work in Kanami favor because people will be like: "Why did Kanami throw away her future like that? She must have really good reason to do it! What she say must be truth! because......why would she lied? I meant, she does look like a honest person too."


Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
And there was no real reason to delay until the 2nd episode before revealing what Kanami saw. That was simply well beyond the level they could reasonably expect their audiences to just bide their time, even to that bog-standard 3rd episode. I wonder how many viewers they lost with that first episode. I honestly thought this was some poorly done light novel adaptation and the LN would at least explain this, but no, it is original anime...
Not really......I saw/read people who continue watching said:

- They like details on sword technique and fighting in ep.1
- They want to find out why did Kanami help Hiyori so they wait for next ep.
- They just like 'cute girl do cute thing' and/or implied yuri.

Most people who doesn't continue are people who doesn't this kind of show from the begin with.

Also, Toji no Miko is the multimedia project. It has anime, manga, and mobile game made by Square Enix (to be released soon this year). [/QUOTE]
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic44739_1.gif

Last edited by Marina2; 2018-01-13 at 14:06.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 15:01   Link #65
HandofFate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
If you rewatch episode 1, you can see two swords pop out from the Leader, so there's consistently on that at least
__________________
...
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 19:18   Link #66
Marcus H.
Toji Affairs Secretary
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Some guys are putting their own interpretations of the situation without actually reading said situation based on facts established by the show.

Quote:
That's basically my feeling. Hiyori could have escaped somehow, leading to Kanami looking for her in order to confirm what she saw. But she just jump right in and leave without a doubt. I know they want to pair them up, but come oooooon !
Kanami isn't a dense girl. She knows that the usage of Jin'i, especially one that was so fast that Kanami can barely determine her position, is severely taxing to the human body—in fact, Hiyori had to spend around a day of no combat just to recover enough to manifest Utsushi.

Quote:
And with the position Kanami is in now, I doubt she can get any help from any superior officer. But hey, who cares : 4 other girls in mini-skirts will tag along to defeat the great evil.

I wouldn't even be surprised if one of them join the group because... nothing. Like "Oh, she's evil ? Got no proof ? Well you seem nice and my script says I need to follow so, let's do it !"
Thinking too far ahead would only bring you disappointment.

Quote:
ALSO : with Mai right in front of her, do we really need to wait for her to find out by herself, seemingly putting herself in danger thus giving Kanami a reason to go and save her ? OH I THINK WE DOOOOO. I'm always amazed by anime where the protagonist could speak up, explain the situation, but for no apparent reason choose to remain silent. Because after decades of animes, why not follow that pattern over and over and over again...
The Japanese are known for being non-confrontational. Kanami also doesn't know Hiyori that much to delve into her personal life. She's friendly, and she's also not rude to suddenly ask things that are not supposed to be asked.
__________________
Have a nice talk with the Animesuki forum members on Discord! (Promise, we won't bite!) Drop me or RRW a PM for the link!

Spring 2018: Amanchu! Advance (1/12) and Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii (2/11).
Carryover from Winter 2018: Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card Arc (6/22) and Toji no Miko (18/24).
See the Toji no Miko Wiki Project in action!


Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 333. Plan to watch: 31.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 20:27   Link #67
Mistyclear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
So glad that they gave a logical reasoning for the main character’s actions from the last episode, rather than she just got that feeling (that some other authors give as a reasoning) or like her original statement—she wants to fight Hiyori.
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 21:11   Link #68
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Paris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Kanami isn't a dense girl. She knows that the usage of Jin'i, especially one that was so fast that Kanami can barely determine her position, is severely taxing to the human body—in fact, Hiyori had to spend around a day of no combat just to recover enough to manifest Utsushi.
That knowledge nor what you're saying is explaining why she would side right away with Hiyori, which was my point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Thinking too far ahead would only bring you disappointment.
I already kinda am. Thus my previous comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
The Japanese are known for being non-confrontational. Kanami also doesn't know Hiyori that much to delve into her personal life. She's friendly, and she's also not rude to suddenly ask things that are not supposed to be asked.
Well, I've seen plenty of animes where the bestie is asking (a.k.a screaming) what's happening, so it's not that far-fetched to think someone like Mai who care for her friend would ask why she would do that.
For her to trust blindly Kanami, fair enough. That doesn't seem out of character.
In fact, Kanami keeping for herself what she saw is probably to keep Mai away from the immediate danger. But trust me, sending Mai there without a warning will be use in the plot at some point...
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 21:38   Link #69
Marcus H.
Toji Affairs Secretary
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Quote:
Well, I've seen plenty of animes where the bestie is asking (a.k.a screaming) what's happening, so it's not that far-fetched to think someone like Mai who care for her friend would ask why she would do that.
And there are cases where actions speak louder than words. It has been established that Mai and Kanami know each other like the back of their hand, and Mai demonstrated this when she understood Kanami's decisions by judging her actions instead of directly demanding an explanation.

I feel like this is the case where being genre savvy ruins immersion and viewer enjoyment.
Just put things in stride and watch out for plot developments.
I know that this is weird to hear considering that I am very apprehensive of original anime ideas, but I won't let my own biases destroy my personal enjoyment of a show.
__________________
Have a nice talk with the Animesuki forum members on Discord! (Promise, we won't bite!) Drop me or RRW a PM for the link!

Spring 2018: Amanchu! Advance (1/12) and Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii (2/11).
Carryover from Winter 2018: Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card Arc (6/22) and Toji no Miko (18/24).
See the Toji no Miko Wiki Project in action!


Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 333. Plan to watch: 31.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 01:30   Link #70
arkhangelsk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Teenage and kid are simple mind. They don't need good or deep reason to do something. They just follow their instinct and do whatever they want. And for the best, maybe we, watchers, shouldn't think too much about it too.
Obviously, Kanami's a teenager and a bog-standard anime genki sporty airhead too - you can tell just by looking at her character design. However, simplified and myopic thinking still has certain patterns and logic. No matter whether Kanami's mental age is 6, 12 or 24, it's hard to imagine a mental composition that would cause her to make that choice on the basis of only a split second impression.

Quote:
Actually, this could work in Kanami favor because people will be like: "Why did Kanami throw away her future like that? She must have really good reason to do it! What she say must be truth! because......why would she lied? I meant, she does look like a honest person too."
If you are Mai, maybe. Otherwise, you are more likely to think she's crazy.

Quote:
Not really......I saw/read people who continue watching said:

- They like details on sword technique and fighting in ep.1
- They want to find out why did Kanami help Hiyori so they wait for next ep.
- They just like 'cute girl do cute thing' and/or implied yuri.
Well, since my sword technique knowledge is limited to jodan and chudan, for me it is #3 which includes watching cute girls fight monsters. And I did not say everyone will be chased off (clearly, I am here, if only out of having few other things to watch). Just the same, the anime-viewer's 3-episode rule is well known to the industry. So, obviously you have to really get interesting by episode 3 to keep your audience, but for episode 1, the emphasis should be on not being totally boring and not doing anything that would cause your audience to exceed the limits of their suspension of disbelief.

It just seems like an un-necessary and unjustified risk, that's all.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 02:17   Link #71
vietthai96
Toji Education Assistant
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Age: 21
Two Ep is good, while it not at the level of exceptional but the series is well enough for simple enjoyment, but still there are some people expect a Fate-kind plot and character, it doesn't do justice for the series. Storyline doesn't dark nor bright either

On the otherhand, Ep 2 already expose the shadow behind the so-called leader and heroes, it is a brave move from staff, i think they will wait for later part of the first cour or even in second cour to make a plot twist but they expose it right in ep 2. It can be we will expect a straight plotline where our little group start recuiting people and battle the last boss who is the a Aradama in disguise(while the real one already dead) or there are more behind that leader, like she sell her soul for Aradama for more power or she trying to contain that so it don't bring disaster to the world because she can't find a way to destroy it, or there are a real one who still in hiding
__________________
vietthai96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 04:46   Link #72
Liddo-kun
a small cat
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nanairogaoka
Send a message via MSN to Liddo-kun
Watched episode 2:

Currently enjoying this anime. I like the "runaway" theme that's going on. I do wonder if some other students would join them. And hopefully, those people who would join them would bring money... as it stands now, it seems that Hiyori is the only one with money left. @_@
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 07:52   Link #73
Marina2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Game PV just come out. MC is one of Kanami friends.

__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic44739_1.gif
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 15:47   Link #74
James Rye
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germany
The explanation why Kanami helped Junoji made more sense than Kanami just being a battle-hungry airhead who thirsts for a real good match. Though then I wonder how that monster was able to hide twenty years (or was that thing from that great battle twenty years ago) from all other human eyes yet those two high school girls knew about it. Or better said, one knew the other just saw one red-golden eye pop out and went with the girl who just tried to kill the Head Toji.
Quite a development for two episodes only.
__________________
James Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 18:28   Link #75
alex_drian
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Well, that's not what I expected, which is good btw. I thought that the first cour would be about the girls against the Elite Guard with Yukari Origami as the final boss of the season with Kanami and Hiyori vs her and the second cour is a massive invasion of Aradama. Maybe it would be like that, but not precisely. Well, Kanami is strong, but I sure is not so strong like a Elite, this setting is normal and is fine. For now is run away as MC is clearing Hiyori route.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 21:24   Link #76
Marcus H.
Toji Affairs Secretary
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Quote:
The explanation why Kanami helped Junoji made more sense than Kanami just being a battle-hungry airhead who thirsts for a real good match. Though then I wonder how that monster was able to hide twenty years (or was that thing from that great battle twenty years ago) from all other human eyes yet those two high school girls knew about it. Or better said, one knew the other just saw one red-golden eye pop out and went with the girl who just tried to kill the Head Toji.
Technology can be tweaked. Pure Noro behavior (gravitating towards other Noro) doesn't.
This is why Analog Spectrum Meters like the one Hiyori uses (that works by using natural Noro behavior) were pulled out from Toji use in favor of the newer Spectrum Sensors that can be manipulated.

Another thing is that something is weird about Kanami.
Take note how Hiyori responds to Kanami's presence (apprehension that forces her to draw her sword). Does Kanami, somehow, has traces of Aradama in her? I have doubts since it doesn't respond to the Noro in Hiyori's Analog Spectrum Meter, though.
__________________
Have a nice talk with the Animesuki forum members on Discord! (Promise, we won't bite!) Drop me or RRW a PM for the link!

Spring 2018: Amanchu! Advance (1/12) and Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii (2/11).
Carryover from Winter 2018: Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card Arc (6/22) and Toji no Miko (18/24).
See the Toji no Miko Wiki Project in action!


Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 333. Plan to watch: 31.


Last edited by Marcus H.; 2018-01-14 at 21:35.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 21:47   Link #77
Random Wanderer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Another thing is that something is weird about Kanami.
Take note how Hiyori responds to Kanami's presence (apprehension that forces her to draw her sword). Does Kanami, somehow, has traces of Aradama in her? I have doubts since it doesn't respond to the Noro in Hiyori's Analog Spectrum Meter, though.
If you're referring to when they passed by each other in episode one and then both stopped and reached for their swords, the ongoing manga adaptation makes that scene a bit clearer. Their okatanas resonated with each other when they got close, startling both girls. In the episode you can hear an odd ringing sound, like a single note being played on a flute, although realizing that the sound is actually something in the world and not just a sound-effect played for the audience's benefit can be more difficult.
__________________
<img src=http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/5491/girlsundpanzermakoxsodo.png border=0 alt= />
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 22:01   Link #78
Mistyclear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
If you're referring to when they passed by each other in episode one and then both stopped and reached for their swords, the ongoing manga adaptation makes that scene a bit clearer. Their okatanas resonated with each other when they got close, startling both girls. In the episode you can hear an odd ringing sound, like a single note being played on a flute, although realizing that the sound is actually something in the world and not just a sound-effect played for the audience's benefit can be more difficult.
Didnít know that, thanks for the information.
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 22:33   Link #79
Requiem-x
The slacking one
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
If you're referring to when they passed by each other in episode one and then both stopped and reached for their swords, the ongoing manga adaptation makes that scene a bit clearer. Their okatanas resonated with each other when they got close, startling both girls. In the episode you can hear an odd ringing sound, like a single note being played on a flute, although realizing that the sound is actually something in the world and not just a sound-effect played for the audience's benefit can be more difficult.
I thought that was just their "rival-sense" activating. Or the writers not trying.

Thanks for explaining.
Requiem-x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 22:41   Link #80
Marcus H.
Toji Affairs Secretary
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Actually, I do remember them mentioning Chidori and Kogarasumaru in the same sentence way too often.
__________________
Have a nice talk with the Animesuki forum members on Discord! (Promise, we won't bite!) Drop me or RRW a PM for the link!

Spring 2018: Amanchu! Advance (1/12) and Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii (2/11).
Carryover from Winter 2018: Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card Arc (6/22) and Toji no Miko (18/24).
See the Toji no Miko Wiki Project in action!


Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 333. Plan to watch: 31.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.