AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 39 21.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 16.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 46 25.84%
7 out of 10 : Good 35 19.66%
6 out of 10 : Average 17 9.55%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 3.37%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-14, 13:09   Link #181
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
read carefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I probably don't watch nearly enough new anime to make comparisons about art and animation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Personally I'm normally more insterested in those two aspects as well, but I think it's important to make the difference. For example, have you ever seen Noein? (for an example of a series with horrid art and excellent animation).

No, I did not.
Old 2009-08-14, 13:34   Link #182
aulzon

It was an interesting episode. Nothing that memorable. I'm still getting used watching a new haruhi episode without the words Kyon-kun denwa to start it off.

Also, did anyone rewatch the episode 00 after watching this?
Old 2009-08-14, 14:06   Link #183
Akka

Quote:
Anyway, I think I liked this episode too much because it isn't Endless Eight. This is apperently the bandwagon here.
Well, actually, I'm pretty sure I enjoy much LESS the show since E8. A bit like if the serie had been spoiled in some way - okay, maybe it's just this and not a "like if".
Old 2009-08-14, 14:17   Link #184
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Once again, Haruhiists and Kyonphiles and gender-bender-renders, it's time for a Triple_R Queen of Queens (since that's what Haruhi is!) minutia review!

I call this review Sighs of Relief, since it comes right after Endless Eight!

This week's Sake Shot Glass Challenge!:

Take a shot for every time Kyon furrows his brow in this episode.

Now, unto the episode (don't read further if you don't want to be spoiled)!

First, we have the bright blue sky with the flags hanging up in the air... ooooo, such a wonderful sign of how Haruhi plans to take over the entire world, one nation at a time! And then we have a gun pointing into the air... could this signify how Haruhi plans to take over the world? Given Haruhi's love of firearms as displayed later in this episode, you just never know!

Then we see Koizumi imitating the Pantsless Ninja, alongside cameo appearances by Tatewaki Kuno and Ranma 1/2 extras! I don't know about you folks, but I'm getting pumped already! I expect a fiery temperamental girl that's very combative and athletic, but who tends to abuse guys, to show up at any moment now...
and sure enough, Haruhi doesn't let us down! *ahem*

Then we see that Haruhi is bearing flags of war as her Brigade races into battle! That flag is clumsily carried at first, but then the every speedy Nagato grabs it, making Bleach's Yuichi look like a slowpoke in comparison! Alas, our animators are even better than Nagato at pulling a fast one as they decided to pan above the streaking Nagato, showing that they don't quite share Haruhi's guts and glory... sad, but what can you do? I don't know about you, but I would have liked to have seen Nagato on camera for her Flash-esque heroics.

On a positive note, however, I ~love~ Haruhi's outfits and sutra headbands for the sports festival. Very dashing - very bold! Makes me wonder if Haruhi is a Samurai Jack fan.

...And then we see Haruhi capture gold for China at the Beijing Olympics!

Aaahhh... so that's why she was on the Olympic promotions for China; it all makes sense now!

We then see indisputable evidence of how Kyon and Mikuru are the most out of shape sprinters on this Brigade, with them on their knees in exhaustion while Koizumi and Nagato haven't even broken a sweat. Now I see the real reason why Haruhi brought Kyon and Mikuru along with her (later in the episode) but not Koizuki and Nagato - she clearly needed to whip Kyon and Mikuru into better shape! Not that Mikuru's shape is bad to look at, mind you...

And now... Taniguchi and Kunikida are back! Nice to see some important secondary characters for a change. However, they don't look quite so pleased to see us - rather, Taniguchi looks bored out of his mind, while Kunikida looks like he's dreaming of his newest crush. I love how their facial expressions don't change at all for their entire conversation with Kyon - that must be one hot girl that Kunikida is dreaming of, ha ha!

Speaking of hot girls, Taniguchi shows his legendary suave charm by whistling at the butts of two passing girls... and then he tries to pretend that it was their hair he liked. Oh, Taniguchi, you cad you!

Kyon's full appreciation for Taniguchi's womanizing ways is hilariously shown by his facial expression from 1:40 to 1:50. Kyon then takes a gulp of water, and we're into our intro!

I have to say that Super-Driver is a genuinely awesome intro - even for something that's been fairly maligned (before I went into this episode) like this episode has been, it still managed to get me pumped up for the rest of the episode.

Then we're treated to some pretty decent shots of Haruhi extras. Solid, if unspectacular, work. Decent playful background music, and good Kyon narration.

And then... Kyon wears white Nikes, and you should too! After all, what footwear brand other than nikes could manage to hold your attention for this much walking visuals, eh?

Two episodes ago we saw Koizumi shilling for Esquire Watch, and now we see Kyon shilling for Nikes! Now we know where the SOS Brigade gets their money from - it's not the Literature budget at all; Pimptress Haruhi has been contracting out the SOS Brigade to do commercials! I wonder what'll be next? Yuki promoting Microsoft? Haruhi advertising for Metal Gear Solid? Mikuru displaying the full effects of WonderBra? We can dream.

Anyway, the look on Haruhi's face at 4:28 tells me that Haruhi doesn't like Kyon's taste in shoes. Hhhmmm... since she doesn't like Nike's, I wonder what her brand is? Whatever it is, they must be awfully good, given Haruhi's running into the sunset performance beginning at 4:50, and including an outrageously funny "VROOM!!!" sound affect. Adam West Batman has nothing on you, Haruhi!

Haruhi's "intense radiant brightness", OTOH, should have been over-animated a bit more - it didn't match Kyon's wonderful voice acting. OTOH, I loved the sound effect for it.

Hhmmm... good sound effects on this show. KyoAni deserves props there.

Also, KyoAni has good setting detail with their animation. I love how they lay out North High. It actually makes the school seem a bit enchanting.

Haruhi and Kyon finally make it to the club room and... Haruhi's jealousy over Kyon's appreciation for Mikuru's beauty seems very understated here. It came across much more strongly in the novels. In the novels, I got the distinct impression that Haruhi wanted Mikuru to deliberately spill hot tea on Kyon because she was in a bit of a jealous rage. Here in the anime, it just feels like pure oblivious eccentricity on Haruhi's part. Don't like that change in mood at all.

Love Kyon's little playful grin towards Nagato at 8:23. I see that Taniguchi's mannerisms is starting to rub off on you, Kyon...

Then the fabulous one finally makes his appearance... and he is indeed quite fabulous in this episode, as Kyon will soon find out!

Not much to say about the next few minutes... except that there's a really friendly atmosphere here. Not sure if that's good or not.

Anyway, Haruhi imitates a military commander, and brings out the pointer and blank chalkboard, which were handled nicely. I like Haruhi's look and stance at 11:17 . Probably one of the closer moments to 2006 Haruhi.

Then at 12:05, we get an...

Itsuki Fabulous MOMENT!!!

... as Itsuki slides over towards Kyon with that dreamy stare and smile of his, ha ha!

Kyon shouts "Too close!"... but is it close enough for Koizumi, I wonder? I'll leave that for Kaisos to answer... *ahem*

Haruhi: There's always this one problem I find.

Kyon: My problem is what's in your head.

Oooo... good burn! I wonder what comeback Haruhi will have? I guess we'll have to wait and see!

As an aside, I agree with Haruhi on TV dramas. Killing off key characters in the last episode is typically cliche and lame. Wouldn't it be ironic if somebody important died in the very last Haruhi episode?

Kyon (to Haruhi): Which studio?

Haruhi: Kyon, there really is nothing in your brain, is there?

YEAH... good comeback to the previous insult, Haruhi! Better to have strange ideas in your head than nothing at all, after all.

Shortly thereafter, Haruhi recounts her horrific experience of watching Battlefield Earth one night (that's clearly the movie she's referring to - go call and flame the producers of that movie, Haruhi, do us Haruhiists proud!). Haruhi quite rightly believes that she's better at making movies than John Travolta is.

Haruhi: I'll do it because I can!

I love Haruhi's spunk here!

Later on, we're treated to this guffawing sequence...

Haruhi: But Yuki said it's Ok.

Everybody looks at Yuki. Tense Pause. Yuki slowly turns her head.

Yuki (utter deadpan): Yes

Yuki turns her head back and resumes reading her book. Kyon looks at her like she has a dozen heads!

This alone would be hilarious, but then Koizumi seals the deal by putting his hand over his mouth as though he was the dog from the old Nintendo duck-hunt game about to burst into laughter!

That was very well done! I loled there I must admit.

Nice detail on Haruhi's bookbag as she leaves the SOS Brigade room.

Later on... Mikuru looks adorable at 18:13.

Haruhi: By the way, Kyon, do you know what we need to make a movie?

Kyon: An innovative idea and earnest passion?

Haruhi: I'm talking about a camera.

Great delivery, and perfect facial expressions for this back-and-forth. It came across much funnier here than in the novels... especially Kyon's incredible look after "I'm talking about a camera".

I like the toy at the top of the Lighting House store, shown at 20:35.

At 20:46, Haruhi appears to begin to put on a strip dance for the camera man... so that's how she convinced him to give her the camera for free! Seriously, Haruhi's theatrical movements here are really funny... what the hell is she supposed to be doing?! I'm sticking with strip dance for now.

Love Haruhi's power-walking style at 21:48. Apparently, she studied at the Vince McMahon school of strutting.

Haruhi then explains that, like Mr. McMahon, she likes flashy fights with big explosions. Only Haruhi intends to use actual firearms and TNT. Can even Sly Stallone compare to Haurhi when it comes to being a Demolition Man?

And then... episode ends abruptly.

General impressions not mentioned yet...

Nice variety in facial features and body movements for Haruhi at least. She showed a good range of emotions here. Still, she came off much sweeter here than she did in the novels to me. Maybe that's me misreading the novels, though, and reading "Exasperation" into Haruhi's words when it's really "Eccentricity". Could make for a good topic of debate in reviewing Sighs as a whole after this arc is over.

Kyon's little smirks were neat, but his brow furrowed too much... as I'm sure anybody who played this week's Sake Shot Glass Challenge! will be aware of once they wake up with a hangover in a few hours.

I know that Kyon is supposed to be snarky, but furrowing his brow so much had the same effect as italicizing every other word in a sentence; you do it so much that it starts to lose its effect after awhile and just gets distracting and/or annoying.

So, Kyon, little smirks here and there are cool, but give your forehead a bit more of a break next time!

Nagato and Mikuru were well-animated. Koizumi was pretty good.

Voice acting was excellent. Background music was Ok, and appropriate for the most part. Great sound effects. Art style isn't my thing at all for the most part, but body movements were fluid at least.

Overall, a very solid 8/10.

And that ends this week's Queen of Queens review! I hope people enjoyed reading it!

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-08-14 at 15:44.
Old 2009-08-14, 14:23   Link #185
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
This week's sake shot glass challenge:

Take a shot for every time Kyon furrows his brow in this episode.
I read this, and automatically liked the rest of your post. Except I only have four beers.
Old 2009-08-14, 14:41   Link #186
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

They are making Ep 00, could someone fill in the gap on the timeline
Old 2009-08-14, 15:01   Link #187
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
I read this, and automatically liked the rest of your post. Except I only have four beers.
That probably lasted you until the 8:00 mark then.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 2009-08-14, 15:02   Link #188
typhonsentra

I also liked the subtle touch in the scene where Taniguchi lets out his cat call, the way Kunikida joins him in leering at the girls even if it's just for a few frames. It establishes why they're as close as they are as it doesn't seem very apparent in the other episodes they're both in.
Old 2009-08-14, 15:02   Link #189
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
They are making Ep 00, could someone fill in the gap on the timeline
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...umiya_episodes

Old 2009-08-14, 15:16   Link #190
TadloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Is it just me or people don't know the difference between animation quality and art quality?
No, not just you. I fell the same way. Most people don't see difference between animation and art.
Old 2009-08-14, 15:21   Link #191
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And then... Kyon wears white Nikes, and you should too! After all, what footwear brand other than nikes could manage to hold your attention for this much walking visuals, eh?
Those are their indoor shoes. They're color-coded by year, as are their gym clothes.

They're not Nikes.
Old 2009-08-14, 15:24   Link #192
ruisu9

I think that with this episode where back at season one,just before they do the movie of mikuru and the festival where haruhi sings god knows, if am wrong please tell me, if not, then WTF, really!!!! its the second seaon and we went back a whole year!!!!!!!!!!!???????????Kyoto Animation is fucking crazy, i just hope they do something good with it, not like the E8, dont get me wrong it wasnt bad it was just way to long.
Old 2009-08-14, 15:34   Link #193
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Those are their indoor shoes. They're color-coded by year, as are their gym clothes.

They're not Nikes.
I didn't know what brand or make of shoe they were - I was just making fun of the amount of time that the visuals focused on them.

Thanks for the info all the same.
Old 2009-08-14, 15:37   Link #194
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

the only possible responce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruisu9 View Post
I think that with this episode where back at season one,just before they do the movie of mikuru and the festival where haruhi sings god knows, if am wrong please tell me, if not, then WTF, really!!!! its the second seaon and we went back a whole year!!!!!!!!!!!???????????Kyoto Animation is fucking crazy, i just hope they do something good with it, not like the E8, dont get me wrong it wasnt bad it was just way to long.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh, wow.
Old 2009-08-14, 16:09   Link #195
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruisu9 View Post
Just so you know... Haruhi 2006's episodes weren't just out of order compared to each other... they were all taken from different novel points, leaving large novel points completely "skipped over" at the time. The events leading up to Episode 00 were skipped over before - we're filling in that gap now.
Old 2009-08-14, 16:39   Link #196
RAD_ED

The artwork in this episode seemed kind of bland like the artwork of a cheap quick anime. It was still refreshing to see something different from E8.
Old 2009-08-14, 16:55   Link #197
Bri

The art was unimpressive this episode. Feels a bit like Mystérique Sign. As mentioned by others too many anatomy errors. Too bad really, as the Haruhi-Kyon interaction made this episode really enjoyable.
Old 2009-08-14, 17:00   Link #198
TadloS

Besides, maybe somebody knows who handled this episode? To me it looks like a new animation director.
Old 2009-08-14, 17:01   Link #199
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

Haruhi's smile and giggles are just.......too cute.
It's like over-kill lol.

This episode was alright though.

EDIT: Am I the only one who cringed when Haruhi told Mikuru to be quiet when she was trying to make an excuse to leave the room? Her lying was obvious but saying that to Mikuru just seemed....harsh to me.

Last edited by Starry Dust; 2009-08-14 at 17:45.
Old 2009-08-14, 17:03   Link #200
Maxtro

Meh, average episode. I really don't have any interest in the making of the movie that was shown in S1.

Also I'm starting to dislike Haruhi as a person. I can't believe that she was actually going to purposely spill hot tea on Kyon. If I was was in his position I would give her cold stare and firmly say, "Are you serious?" Right now she's a brat and she needs to learn her place.
Closed Thread